cameron0827 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How come im not losing any weight!?!

Hey guys, new to the site been browsing around and found some good tips, but im having a problem with my weight loss. I recently decided to change my lifestyle and get off my ass and start being healthy. I purchased a gym membership with my buddy and we have been going 5 days a week for the past 3 weeks. The schedule we have right now is, Mon- Arms/Chest Tues-Cardio, Wed- Legs, Thurs-Arms/Chest and Friday, an hour of hockey (cardio). We also try to get 10-20 minutes of cardio each day before lifting for warm up/cool down. Were usually at the gym for around 1.5-2 hours.

We have stuck to this schedule and have only missed a couple days. I was 335 when I started going, and Im still 335 now. Its kind of discouraging. I try to eat right, im not gonna say im on a full on diet but I watch my calories and try to eat a lot more fruit and vegetables. I have definitely noticed that I'm feeling better, I have more energy, its easier to get up in the morning and I feel like my arms put on a bit of muscle.

Am I doing something wrong, I was under the impression that the heavier you are the easier it is to lose weight at first. Im still going to stick to it because it does make me feel good and I enjoy going now. I just want to start seeing some results.

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give.

FourHundred is on a distinguished road. (+10) FourHundred is on a distinguished road. (+10) FourHundred is on a distinguished road. (+10) FourHundred is on a distinguished road. (+10) FourHundred is on a distinguished road. (+10) FourHundred is on a distinguished road. (+10) FourHundred is on a distinguished road. (+10) FourHundred is on a distinguished road. (+10) FourHundred is on a distinguished road. (+10) FourHundred is on a distinguished road. (+10) FourHundred is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by cameron0827 View Post
    Hey guys, new to the site been browsing around and found some good tips, but im having a problem with my weight loss. I recently decided to change my lifestyle and get off my ass and start being healthy. I purchased a gym membership with my buddy and we have been going 5 days a week for the past 3 weeks. The schedule we have right now is, Mon- Arms/Chest Tues-Cardio, Wed- Legs, Thurs-Arms/Chest and Friday, an hour of hockey (cardio). We also try to get 10-20 minutes of cardio each day before lifting for warm up/cool down. Were usually at the gym for around 1.5-2 hours.

We have stuck to this schedule and have only missed a couple days. I was 335 when I started going, and Im still 335 now. Its kind of discouraging. I try to eat right, im not gonna say im on a full on diet but I watch my calories and try to eat a lot more fruit and vegetables. I have definitely noticed that I'm feeling better, I have more energy, its easier to get up in the morning and I feel like my arms put on a bit of muscle.

Am I doing something wrong, I was under the impression that the heavier you are the easier it is to lose weight at first. Im still going to stick to it because it does make me feel good and I enjoy going now. I just want to start seeing some results.

I weight more than you do so take this with a grain of salt.

Count your calories carefully. Keep a food journal if you think there is any chance at all that you are forgetting to count some things.

Try to stick to non processed, natural foods. Stay away from sugar. I am fairly new here but people on this site seem pretty big on sorting out 'your macros' which as far as I can tell means determine how much protein you need, how much fat you need, and how much carbs you need. Stick with some fruit (but not too much, dont overdo the sugar) veggies, lots of nice lean protein, chicken, eggs (or egg whites if you want just the good stuff)

Cut out the soda, cut out the chips, cut the fried foods.

You dont have to starve yourself by any stretch of the imagination, but to abuse a common analogy, think of your body as a car, put in the proper fuel and it will just run better and treat you better.

Make sure you are staying hydrated, and make sure you are getting enough sleep to recover from your workouts.

Like I said though, plenty of people here far more educated than me. So take with grain of salt.

PS. Avoid salt

Joedeeze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joedeeze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joedeeze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joedeeze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joedeeze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joedeeze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joedeeze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joedeeze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joedeeze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joedeeze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joedeeze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    [QUOTE=cameron0827;1040278633 not gonna say im on a full on diet but I watch my calories[/QUOTE]

This is your problem. You're eating too much. Read the stickies on this forum and get your calorie consumption in check and start counting accurately. If you work hard in the gym and eat at a deficit, at your weight you will be dropping lbs consistently.

Bakes80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you want to lose fat you need to count your calories and hit your macros. Read the stickies in the Nutrition forum and i strongly recomend you buy some electronic kitchen scales and weigh everything you eat.
    CUTTING

Starting Weight - 351lbs (13/1/2013)

Week 01 346.9 Week 11 327.1
    Week 02 345.2 Week 12 328.0
    Week 03 340.6 Week 13 329.1
    Week 04 337.1 Week 14 327.1
    Week 05 335.3 Week 15 322.7
    Week 06 334.4
    Week 07 332.9
    Week 08 330.5
    Week 09 326.9
    Week 10 324.5

JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

You are severely underestimating your calorie consumption. You aren't counting.

At 3000 calories a day, working out 5 days a week, you should easily be losing 2-3 lbs per week. Start counting everything that goes into your mouth (and add 10% for good measure). Do this for two weeks and come back.

Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Add another leg day or readjust your routine. Doing legs once a week is just dumb.

unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    "Cut out the soda, cut out the chips, cut the fried foods."

Why on God's green earth would he want to do that? Only calories count, bro. Consuming those foods (in the right quantities) does not limit one's weight loss anymore than other foods, nor does abstaining from them promote weight loss.

Source: have consumed those three food groups on a near-daily basis with fantastic results.
    Started 2012 at over 410lbs (that was as high as my scale went) and I ended the year at 260lbs.

Still going strong while eating whatever I want - whenever I want; I just keep it to under 2000 calories a day.

TEAM IIFYC (if it fits your calories)

davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by JVRICHARDS View Post

At 3000 calories a day, working out 5 days a week, you should easily be losing 2-3 lbs per week. Start counting everything that goes into your mouth (and add 10% for good measure). Do this for two weeks and come back.
    If you aren't losing weight at 335 pounds, then you must be overeating as he says

dublinbody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dublinbody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dublinbody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dublinbody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dublinbody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dublinbody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dublinbody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dublinbody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dublinbody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dublinbody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dublinbody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Lots of fruit and veg is not good either , like all foods they still have calories just go on one if the sites like my fitness pal weigh everything , and count everything , hope this can help

...and Carlysdaddy camdensdaddy's Avatar
    camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by JVRICHARDS View Post

^
    This.

You're not losing weight because you're still eating too much. Read the stickies on losing fat for noobs and calculating macronutrients in this forum. Figure out the necessary TDEE and macro requirements to lose weight then weigh your food out to ensure you're hitting those numbers.
    Last edited by camdensdaddy; 03-16-2013 at 06:49 AM.

Ravock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ravock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ravock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ravock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ravock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ravock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ravock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ravock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ravock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ravock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ravock is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    No amount of exercise will overcome stuffing your face with vast quantities of food each day. You are still eating to much.

cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Even at 6'4", at 300+ the weight should be flying off. Like others said, count every calorie that goes into your mouth. Also, when you're at the gym for 1.5+ hours are you working consistently or lift for 1 minute/talk for 5 minutes? At your weight, even with no diet change, 1.5-2 hour gym sessions alone would be enough to see some progress.
    Barely decent crew

Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    1. As everyone has mentioned, you're eating too much.

2. That is a terrible workout routine. Unless I read it wrong, you do arms/chest 2x per week but you don't work your back (or shoulders) at all?! That's an injury waiting to happen. Switch to full body workouts or at least an upper/lower split.
    2/14: 218
    7/7: 183

"The poison is in the dose." ~ Brad Pilon

"What matters is actually doing something. You usually won't find out if something is right for you ahead of time unless you just hunker down and try it. So stop worrying and start hunkering." ~ Lyle McDonald

" 'Why' is one of the most powerful words you can put in your vocabulary." ~ Alan Aragon

"I'm lucky because I can eat whatever I want and I just get really, really fat." ~ Louis C.K.

FourHundred is on a distinguished road. (+10) FourHundred is on a distinguished road. (+10) FourHundred is on a distinguished road. (+10) FourHundred is on a distinguished road. (+10) FourHundred is on a distinguished road. (+10) FourHundred is on a distinguished road. (+10) FourHundred is on a distinguished road. (+10) FourHundred is on a distinguished road. (+10) FourHundred is on a distinguished road. (+10) FourHundred is on a distinguished road. (+10) FourHundred is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by unleashthelion View Post
    "Cut out the soda, cut out the chips, cut the fried foods."

Why on God's green earth would he want to do that? Only calories count, bro. Consuming those foods (in the right quantities) does not limit one's weight loss anymore than other foods, nor does abstaining from them promote weight loss.

Source: have consumed those three food groups on a near-daily basis with fantastic results.
    Would you be happier if I said 'cut back on' instead of cutting it out completely? Sure he could lose weight eating nothing but potato chips and french fries if he wanted to, it just wouldnt be very healthy. But yeah, focusing only on the weight aspect, you are right

unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by FourHundred View Post
    Would you be happier if I said 'cut back on' instead of cutting it out completely? Sure he could lose weight eating nothing but potato chips and french fries if he wanted to, it just wouldnt be very healthy. But yeah, focusing only on the weight aspect, you are right
    Why does he even need to "cut back on" them? You can eat them every day and still hit your macro and micronutrient requirements.
    Started 2012 at over 410lbs (that was as high as my scale went) and I ended the year at 260lbs.

Still going strong while eating whatever I want - whenever I want; I just keep it to under 2000 calories a day.

TEAM IIFYC (if it fits your calories)

canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Vaylor View Post
    Add another leg day or readjust your routine. Doing legs once a week is just dumb.
    Yes this will help him lose 100lbs...you should write a book
    The body doesn't struggle to lose weight...the mind does - keep measurements, keep your sanity.

I'm an Englishman living in Canada...oh how I miss a decent curry!

Former skinny fat member @ 158lbs - now 205lbs and 15%. It's been a long journey but a rewarding one.

Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by canadiancoops View Post
    Yes this will help him lose 100lbs...you should write a book
    Huh? So you are saying working out his legs once a week is ok as long as he is losing weight? I mean seriously what was the point of your comment?

canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    My comment is probably as pointless as half of your posts, yet half of the other ones you make are good, hence I recently repped you. Do you have a younger brother using your profile?

My point? He is asking how to lose weight and you said add another leg day in. Very relevant to his question...not. That's my point.
    The body doesn't struggle to lose weight...the mind does - keep measurements, keep your sanity.

I'm an Englishman living in Canada...oh how I miss a decent curry!

Former skinny fat member @ 158lbs - now 205lbs and 15%. It's been a long journey but a rewarding one.

Thanks for all the reply's guys. I am going to eat a lot better this week. I got the fitness pal app for my phone so I can track my calories and try to stay around 2000 per day. I actually weighed myself this morning and im at 330.2 so I have lost a bit of weight.

I'll kick your neck off martoch's Avatar
    martoch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) martoch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) martoch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) martoch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) martoch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) martoch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) martoch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) martoch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) martoch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) martoch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) martoch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You've been given the obviously good advice about counting your calories accurately. Don't weigh yourself every day, OP (not saying you are). People tend to get discouraged when they stare at the scale numbers daily.

tonyspitz33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tonyspitz33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tonyspitz33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for all the reply's guys. I am going to eat a lot better this week. I got the fitness pal app for my phone so I can track my calories and try to stay around 2000 per day. I actually weighed myself this morning and im at 330.2 so I have lost a bit of weight.
    More important than counting your calories is counting your macros. You can easily hit 2,000 calories and then stop eating, even though you ate 100g of fat, 200g of carbs, and 75g of protein, for example.

Use the stickies to figure out how much protein and fat you need to be eating, and then just fill in the carbs (use the stickies for the maths).

Lastly, working out 5x a week, and weighing 300+, there is no doubt that you can get by eating more than 2,000 calories and still seeing some great results. Just some food for thought (heh, puns).

Originally Posted by martoch View Post
    You've been given the obviously good advice about counting your calories accurately. Don't weigh yourself every day, OP (not saying you are). People tend to get discouraged when they stare at the scale numbers daily.
    I was weighing myself every morning. I'm not going to do that anymore, once a week is ok I assume.

Registered User hawkfootball767's Avatar
    hawkfootball767 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Only arms and chest ? what about all the other muscle groups your not going to like having chicken legs with a big blocky upper boddy
    maybe your losing only a little body fat and gaining some muscle since you just started this new lifestyle , ive lost over 70lbs of body fat in the last 1.5yrs and at a slow and steady pace at the same time increasing all my lifts slowly

in your case your BMR( the calories you burn doing nothing every day ) is roughly 2600-2900 so try and eat 2800 calories a day (maybe your metabolism is slower by genetics) , plus see how many calories your burning each day doing cardio and try to estimate the calories your burning during your lifts using some calculators on here . add up up how much calories you take in each weak and subtract the 7(2600-2900)* + ( cardio and lifting)

you need -3500 calories for each lb you want to lose that week. start there and adjust as you go increasing cardio, im down to 200lbs and i do 45min of cardio 6 days a week and lift 5 days a week just to lose 1lb a week
    Last edited by hawkfootball767; 03-19-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Originally Posted by hawkfootball767 View Post
    Only arms and chest ? what about all the other muscle groups your not going to like having chicken legs with a big blocky upper boddy
    maybe your losing only a little body fat and gaining some muscle since you just started this new lifestyle , ive lost over 70lbs of body fat in the last 1.5yrs and at a slow and steady pace at the same time increasing all my lifts slowly

in your case your BMR( the calories you burn doing nothing every day ) is roughly 2600-2900 so try and eat 2800 calories a day (maybe your metabolism is slower by genetics) , plus see how many calories your burning each day doing cardio and try to estimate the calories your burning during your lifts using some calculators on here . add up up how much calories you take in each weak and subtract the 7(2600-2900)* + ( cardio and lifting)

you need -3500 calories for each lb you want to lose that week. start there and adjust as you go increasing cardio, im down to 200lbs and i do 45min of cardio 6 days a week and lift 5 days a week just to lose 1lb a week
    My legs get a workout daily, carrying around 330 pounds isn't exactly a walk in the park haha. I'm thinking I will add in another leg day anyway though. I do more then just arms and chest on those days, I do back and stomach exercises as well..just mainly focus on arms and chest.