alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10)

alcohol and macros

hi,

just wanted to get anybody's opinion on the following article http://rippedbody.jp/2011/08/18/how-...-up-your-diet/

disclaimer : no i'm not promoting it lol but i think it's a good enough topic for discussion esp for the (social) drinkers here

sorry if it's already been brought up before

BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I think it's a good read..

It's also nice that he gets to the point, as opposed to trying to sell you something.

I asked Josef Rakich about alcohol consumption on the IIFYM thread and this is what he said:

Why would you have alcohol in your macros split anyway lol, so no it won't fit your macro.. But it can fit your calorie requirements it will just mean you have to sacrifice some other macros, either protein carbs or fats and replace it with some alcohol calories. There is 9 calories per 1g of alcohol.

Also a tip: Not that I advise consuming alcohol as part of your calories.. But if you do, and if you are planning to get absolutely smashed, the best way to do so (in regards to calorie consumption) is to consume hard liquor, maybe mix it with a diet soda or something.
    Last edited by BeingPaid; 12-04-2012 at 06:25 AM.

layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by alejandroPH View Post
    hi,

just wanted to get anybody's opinion on the following article http://rippedbody.jp/2011/08/18/how-...-up-your-diet/

disclaimer : no i'm not promoting it lol but i think it's a good enough topic for discussion esp for the (social) drinkers here

sorry if it's already been brought up before
    It's basically Martin berkhan's approach, which I think has already been brought up here today lol.

But any fat you eat that day, will be stored as fat? No, that's nonsense. Where they may be some truth that fat oxidation is slowed, the idea that all fat you consume that day will be stored as adipose is much too simple.

He also talks about the needs to replenish glycogen which, unless you're carrying out multiple endurance style activities that day, doesn't even need to be mentioned. So there is some broscience in there which sets alarm bells off straight away for me, and explains his point on the all fat being stored as adipose tissue.

He basically says in a different way about 50 times over, that if you go over your allowance with alcohol cals you will gain weight, if you consume under your caloric allowance with alcohol cals, you lose weight. That is pretty much it, and that is pretty much how it works.

But fat oxidation does not just stop completely until all the alcohol is flooded out your system; all your metabolic cogs are running constantly, and whilst they may be slowed down for alcohol getting preferential treatment, there is no need to worry about consuming fat that day for the purpose of limiting fat gain (assuming you aren't going over your allowance with the alcohol cals).
    "Never attempt to train yourself into a caloric deficit. Don't spend hours on the treadmill. Diet comes first, cardio second. The dumbest fat loss strategy ever devised is used by people that wake up early in the morning before going to work to do cardio and follow that up with "recovery shake." Congratulations, you just wasted two hours of your life." Martin Berkhan

BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by layarph View Post
    But any fat you eat that day, will be stored as fat? No, that's nonsense. Where they may be some truth that fat oxidation is slowed, the idea that all fat you consume that day will be stored as adipose is much too simple.

He basically says in a different way about 50 times over, that if you go over your allowance with alcohol cals you will gain weight, if you consume under your caloric allowance with alcohol cals, you lose weight. That is pretty much it, and that is pretty much how it works.
    I agree with this.. like you said - there might be some fat storage as a side effect of alcohol but I still think what matters most is total cals consumed.

alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    thanks for the replies brahs

Originally Posted by BeingPaid View Post
    I think it's a good read..

It's also nice that he gets to the point, as opposed to trying to sell you something.

I asked Josef Rakich about alcohol consumption on the IIFYM thread and this is what he said:
    so basically hard alcohol has less calories than beer then ? ah, that would explain then why people on a "diet" forego beer for whiskey. i previously thought it was all broscience lol

edit : was supposed to go on and ask about IF as i've half a mind of giving it a shot but nvm ill just make another thread

layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    thanks for the replies brahs

so basically hard alcohol has less calories than beer then ? ah, that would explain then why people on a "diet" forego beer for whiskey. i previously thought it was all broscience lol
    Well yeah. Spirits are simply alcohol (~7 cals per gram) where as beer has alcohol as well as carbs.

edit : was supposed to go on and ask about IF as i've half a mind of giving it a shot but nvm ill just make another thread
    Guaranteed I know what responses you'll get ... "meal timing is personal preference, so give it a try and if it fits your schedule and preferences better, that is what you should use".

IF, like any other meal timing, is just a method of personal preference.. there's no magical physiological benefits to it' so the only decent response anyone should give is that it is personal preference and you'll only know if it works for you once you've given it a go.
    "Never attempt to train yourself into a caloric deficit. Don't spend hours on the treadmill. Diet comes first, cardio second. The dumbest fat loss strategy ever devised is used by people that wake up early in the morning before going to work to do cardio and follow that up with "recovery shake." Congratulations, you just wasted two hours of your life." Martin Berkhan

so basically hard alcohol has less calories than beer then ?
    yep well 1 shot of whiskey (or vodka/rum/gin/etc) is about 55-65 cals

1 regular beer is 150-160 cals..

Even light beer is usually around 100 cals.

saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by BeingPaid View Post
    yep well 1 shot of whiskey (or vodka/rum/gin/etc) is about 55-65 cals

1 regular beer is 150-160 cals..

Even light beer is usually around 100 cals.
    That's probably a 2/3 shot (1 oz). A real shot is 1.5 oz, and will get you much closer to what I think of as the standard minimum cals/drink of about 100.