Closed Thread
Page 83 of 299 FirstFirst ... 33 73 81 82 83 84 85 93 133 183 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,490 of 8970
    dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    @kalleA & WildTim

I have NO illusions a properly trained or angry dog is not going to rip the crap out of you. For most people in life that event will never come close to occurring. I agree with you when my 90 lb hits me fast in play it's quite an impact.

What I am really trying to convey is that for the avge guy in the avge (and maybe not so avge) situation one should never give up and never turn tail to try and run if you have no way to leave. You just have to accept the inevitable and join the fight hard at moment zero.

I had some shepherd sneak up and bite my dog in the rear leg and take off only to circle. My dog will engage only if really provoked. I on the other had, leash folded in hand went after the shepherd and it turned and ran. Will they all do that? No, but with that leash and a non-pro dog in the mix I would have kicked its azz. And then some. Would I go after a cop dog? No.

Either way, my position is that if you ever believe you COULD be in such a situation, like at a dig park or in a hood where there are some known aggressive dogs, better to think thru the possible fight beforehand than give up and get chewed up.
    ▪█───────█▪

Ivanko Barbell Crew Member #6

My Gear:

Lamar Rack w/lat & row setup
    Ironmasters DB's with add on package
    1000 lbs of Ivanko OM Plates
    Ironmaster Super Bench
    Parabody Roman Chair
    Precor 546 Elliptical
    Concept II rower Model D w/PM4

▪█───────█▪

I've had bi-lateral hip replacement.
    Ask me anything about it.

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by dnb View Post
    What I am really trying to convey is that for the avge guy in the avge (and maybe not so avge) situation one should never give up and never turn tail to try and run if you have no way to leave. You just have to accept the inevitable and join the fight hard at moment zero.
    I used to be a hard core runner - I tried to run every day; I'd only miss a handful of days each year due to either travel or illness. I'd occasionally come across dogs on my runs. When I saw a dog running at me on an intercept course, I would turn and run straight at the dog, growling as I did so. Perhaps I was lucky, but the dog would invariably turn tail and run away. Some would try to pursue me as I resumed my run; I frequently had to turn around and chase the dog a few more times before it'd leave me alone.

I did get bit one time while walking home from work. The dog came at me from behind and bit me before I even knew it was there. The dog's owner assured me that it had had its shots. I called his vet and found out that it did not! I went to the doctor and got a tetanus shot. The doc told me that the dog would have to be observed; if it did have rabies, I'd have time to get the shots by the time it became evident that the animal had rabies. The local animal control folks checked it from time to time and informed me after a period of time that the dog was okay.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by jackbravo View Post
    Not to distract from the dog biting theme, but....

Just bought a house with a half acre of overgrown knee high grass. My wife wants me to hire a guy, but I'd like to give it a go myself. Can I use a reel mower? I want the yard to be smooth like a baby's behind.

EDIT
    I think I'm going to get a fiskars reel mower
    It's been so long since I've had to mow grass that I forgot what a reel mower is! (I have rocks and cacti in my yard.)

I remember one time, as a kid, when we didn't mow the yard grass on one of our farms. There's no way we could've gotten a reel mower or any other kind of conventional lawn mower through it. We made a pass through it with the haybine, removed the long grass and then mowed it as usual with the lawn mower.

If you want to do it by hand, get one of these:

Once you get it short enough, you'll be able to use your reel mower on it.

We had a smaller, double sided version that we'd use to trim weeds along the electric fence. We'd always take one when we'd check on the cows and use it to trim any weeds we saw on the fence line. (Too many weeds would partially or completely ground the electric fence making it ineffective.)

A little more searching reveals that the thing we used on the fence lines was a grass whip:

I always liked the grass whips better than a scythe. I could use it one handed and generate a lot more velocity with it than I could with a scythe. I remember seeing my dad trying to using the scythe too. I think it works best on really tall grass.

Congrats on the house!!!

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Not to distract from the dog biting theme, but....

Just bought a house with a half acre of overgrown knee high grass. My wife wants me to hire a guy, but I'd like to give it a go myself. Can I use a reel mower? I want the yard to be smooth like a baby's behind.

EDIT
    I think I'm going to get a fiskars reel mower
    You mean one of these?

they are ok if you mow often but they can't handle long grass at all. Even letting it go a couple of weeks starts to cause these problems.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Grass whips are fun. For a smooth cut a scythe works well, I use one instead of a weed whip, its faster. Mine cost over a hundred bucks though.

A knee high lawn would best be taken down with some type of power mower or perhaps a brush hog

Renting one of these would be a good idea:

RL Erik 'Iwhspr Fe comes' matrix563's Avatar
    matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    where can i rent one?
    ▪█───────█▪ Equipment Crew #46 ▪█───────█▪
    ▪█───────█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #21 ▪█───────█▪
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #33 ||---||

~ 5th dimensional being ~

Location: Birmingham, Westmidlands, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000)
    cant you use a grass trimmer?

-!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #4 -!!!---!!!-

BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Having saved my Mother from certain death and surviving another attack on myself, I'll tell you that the only chance that you have is to go full bore at even the thought that you may be attacked. I don't take this topic lightly.

This is what one bite from an untrained (to attack) Shepherd/Rott mutt can do.

My mother was watching my Sister and Bro-in-law's dog while they wer on vacation. She was probably his favorite person because she often let the dog out while the family was at work. She played and cared for the dog more than anyone, to be honest. He truly liked her alot. Unfortunately, the dog was poorly socialized by being kept in a small fenced enclosure 23 hrs a day. The dog just snapped out of nowhere while we were out on the deck on a nice spring afternoon.
    He first lunged for my Mom's neck without warning and then went into full on hunting mode. As she stooped down, hand to her throat, he went for it again but only came up with her hand this time (which he shook at violently). I was on the other end of the deck about 20 feet away. Her back was to me and the first bite looked like he was playing but when the second one came it was clear what I saw. As I rushed in, he saw me and methodically circled around to the other side of her and jumped on her back, viciously dragging her to the ground. I first clocked him in the temple with a running right hook.. that did nothing so I pinch gripped his throat squeezing with all of my might, feeling his larangthis crunching in my hand.. which still didn't phase him so I lifted him up into the air as high as I could, quickly changing directions and slamming him down onto his head as hard as I possibly could have.. which still didn't phase him. As he tried to get up, snapping at my arms, I postured up over top of him and rained down the hardest punches that I could muster to his floating ribs and and neck. I had to stop myself about 20 punches in when I realized that my Mother needed my help more than he needed beating. I quickly picked her up and shoved her through the door into the house slamming the door behind her because here comes fido lunging at us. A quick roundhouse kick to the temple FINALLY stunned him and made him crumple. I then got myself indoors once I was sure that he wouldn't be following.

Her entire back was covered with spots like this:

A few months later, I was running on the beach and a Pit slipped his collar and started charging me. He may well have been jumping at me playfully but I had recently come to realize that you don't wait to find out. I threw proably the most perfect side heel kick I've ever thrown straight to his nose which dropped him. I then puffed up my chest as big as I could, slwly backpedaling while scowling. His owner got ahold of him and I had a chance to get away. I walked backwards until he dissapeared. There was such vicious heel on skull contact from that kick that I was in a placed in a walking boot for 6 weeks. Even though I never got bit, I was still bested by that damn dog.

Moral of these stories: If you even suspect that a physically capable dog is going to attack you, you stand no chance other than to believe and display that you are the badest mutherfugging creature occupying the area.. and if it comes down to it, you have to strike well before being struck.
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅] Equipment Crew #57 [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]

[]──[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #26 []──[]

❍--❍ York Barbell Club #34 ❍--❍

☆☆☆ That On3 Cr3w That Has Too Much Pow3r Cr3w ☆☆☆

Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by BloodType3R View Post
    Having saved my Mother from certain death and surviving another attack on myself, I'll tell you that the only chance that you have is to go full bore at even the thought that you may be attacked. I don't take this topic lightly.

This is what one bite from an untrained (to attack) Shepherd/Rott mutt can do.

My mother was watching my Sister and Bro-in-law's dog while they wer on vacation. She was probably his favorite person because she often let the dog out while the family was at work. She played and cared for the dog more than anyone, to be honest. He truly liked her alot. Unfortunately, the dog was poorly socialized by being kept in a small fenced enclosure 23 hrs a day. The dog just snapped out of nowhere while we were out on the deck on a nice spring afternoon.
    He first lunged for my Mom's neck without warning and then went into full on hunting mode. As she stooped down, hand to her throat, he went for it again but only came up with her hand this time (which he shook at violently). I was on the other end of the deck about 20 feet away. Her back was to me and the first bite looked like he was playing but when the second one came it was clear what I saw. As I rushed in, he saw me and methodically circled around to the other side of her and jumped on her back, viciously dragging her to the ground. I first clocked him in the temple with a running right hook.. that did nothing so I pinch gripped his throat squeezing with all of my might, feeling his larangthis crunching in my hand.. which still didn't phase him so I lifted him up into the air as high as I could, quickly changing directions and slamming him down onto his head as hard as I possibly could have.. which still didn't phase him. As he tried to get up, snapping at my arms, I postured up over top of him and rained down the hardest punches that I could muster to his floating ribs and and neck. I had to stop myself about 20 punches in when I realized that my Mother needed my help more than he needed beating. I quickly picked her up and shoved her through the door into the house slamming the door behind her because here comes fido lunging at us. A quick roundhouse kick to the temple FINALLY stunned him and made him crumple. I then got myself indoors once I was sure that he wouldn't be following.

Her entire back was covered with spots like this:

A few months later, I was running on the beach and a Pit slipped his collar and started charging me. He may well have been jumping at me playfully but I had recently come to realize that you don't wait to find out. I threw proably the most perfect side heel kick I've ever thrown straight to his nose which dropped him. I then puffed up my chest as big as I could, slwly backpedaling while scowling. His owner got ahold of him and I had a chance to get away. I walked backwards until he dissapeared. There was such vicious heel on skull contact from that kick that I was in a placed in a walking boot for 6 weeks. Even though I never got bit, I was still bested by that damn dog.

Moral of these stories: If you even suspect that a physically capable dog is going to attack you, you stand no chance other than to believe and display that you are the badest mutherfugging creature occupying the area.. and if it comes down to it, you have to strike well before being struck.
    Holy ****, man.

jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000)
    @BT3R - that's the kind of son I want to raise. GJDM, as they say. Glad your mum's ok at the end.

Originally Posted by owasM View Post
    cant you use a grass trimmer?

Not to be a luddite, but I'm trying to stay away from motor-powered lawn tools if possible, mainly due to cost and maintenance, but also, I think it's time for me to learn how to wield steel.

Originally Posted by matrix563 View Post
    where can i rent one?
    Home depot.

Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    Grass whips are fun. For a smooth cut a scythe works well, I use one instead of a weed whip, its faster. Mine cost over a hundred bucks though.

A knee high lawn would best be taken down with some type of power mower or perhaps a brush hog

Renting one of these would be a good idea:

I looked at that, and if I can't do it otherwise, I'll grab one from HD.

You mean one of these?

they are ok if you mow often but they can't handle long grass at all. Even letting it go a couple of weeks starts to cause these problems.
    Yea, I found one used for $80. Thanks for the tips about grass length.

Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    It's been so long since I've had to mow grass that I forgot what a reel mower is! (I have rocks and cacti in my yard.)

I remember one time, as a kid, when we didn't mow the yard grass on one of our farms. There's no way we could've gotten a reel mower or any other kind of conventional lawn mower through it. We made a pass through it with the haybine, removed the long grass and then mowed it as usual with the lawn mower.

A little more searching reveals that the thing we used on the fence lines was a grass whip:

I always liked the grass whips better than a scythe. I could use it one handed and generate a lot more velocity with it than I could with a scythe. I remember seeing my dad trying to using the scythe too. I think it works best on really tall grass.

Congrats on the house!!!
    Thanks, KBKB!! And thanks for the idea of the grass whip, found one on good 'ol CL for $5, so I'm going to go that route.

Thanks again gentlemen. Just made my life a whole lot easier.

And thanks for the idea of the grass whip, found one on good 'ol CL for $5, so I'm going to go that route.
    If there's a lot of grass to be cut, you'll certainly get a workout. But my recollection is that they were quite effective.

BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Seems I left out a few key details...

This was several years ago and Ma was a-ok within a few months. Aside from a little nerve damage on her finger, everything was purely cosmetic.
    There was no option other than to have the dog put down. He wasn't in great shape either. His face was swollen and he likely had a broken rib or two.
    My wrist was jacked for a few weeks but other than that, I escaped unscathed.

Some good did come from it all though. We got an obviously dangerous dog out of my then two year old Neices home and my Mom and I both would have gone through it again for that alone (even if swapping places).
    I ended up meeting my new best friend.

That's my "Bassgle" Emma. She's a 50/50 Basset Hound/ Beagle rescue who was horrible abused. My Dad got her for my Mom as a post attack "therapy project" but she immediately latched onto me instead and became my dog.

Not to be a luddite, but I'm trying to stay away from motor-powered lawn tools if possible, mainly due to cost and maintenance, but also, I think it's time for me to learn how to wield steel.
    If you want to learn to use steel check this out.

http://www.scythesupply.com/

This is where I got my scythe. It will mow your entire lawn if you get good with it. I used mine to do my entire horse pasture it took hours but it was a great workout.

Another way to learn to use steel.

http://straightrazorplace.com/

Registered you, sir. trimble006's Avatar
    trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Bloodtype - I hope you have better luck with ladies than with dogs!!!

Seriously though, nice work saving Mum and I hope your luck with dogs has turned around. That's crazy stuff.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #54 ▪█─────█▪

-✘- Edmonton Oilers -✘-
    -✘- Toronto Blue Jays -✘-

Originally Posted by trimble006 View Post
    Bloodtype - I hope you have better luck with ladies than with dogs!!!

Seriously though, nice work saving Mum and I hope your luck with dogs has turned around. That's crazy stuff.
    lol

But maybe that's because aside from these two incidents I've been pretty lucky with pups. I'm pretty much the definition of animal lover and have had many wonderful dogs. I'd be lying if I said these events haven't changed how I feel about larger dogs though. Fortunately, I've always been especially fond of hound breeds (bassets, beagles, harriers, fox hounds, etc) so no real limitations on future companion(s).

I'd like a small Black and Tan Coonhound but that's probably the biggest dog I'd ever own again. These guys can be pretty big so I wouldn't mind a less than pure bred rescue around 60lbs.

jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you want to learn to use steel check this out.

http://www.scythesupply.com/

This is where I got my scythe. It will mow your entire lawn if you get good with it. I used mine to do my entire horse pasture it took hours but it was a great workout.

Man, that's intense. I'm considering getting one. The grass whip I used was a total failure. I have blisters on my hands at the bottom of the index finger, which is going to kill my deadlifts for the next few weeks. Maybe it's because it was rusty (bought used), but man, it was quite a bit of work and pain for not much gain. The Fiskars reel mower though was awesome, though it was a **** ton of work,and I can see why people have gone to mechanized mowers (of course, I haven't properly adjusted it yet, and the grass was probably 8-10" tall). I was planning to buy a prowler, but now, I think I'm just going to mow the loan after squats (dead srs) with the reel mower. Oh yeah, and the major issue is I'm so flippin' out of shape, I was huffin' and puffin' like I just did sprints.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the sharpening of the scythe if I get one. Do you take it to someone or do you follow all the steps on the site?

Another way to learn to use steel.

http://straightrazorplace.com/
    I've already made the move to

maybe after I graduate to

I'll consider the straight blade
    Last edited by jackbravo; 05-02-2013 at 03:37 AM.

rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000)

I switched to a DE a couple years ago and have never looked back. I have 6 razors and none of them work well with the feathers. You really need to find the right razor for those and that is usually different for each individual. Right now my favorites are the red personna israeli blades. Not too harsh and I can still get 5-7 shaves out of them.

I inherited a straight but I just don't have anything else to use it. (hone or strop) Someday..
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #52 ▪█─────█▪
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #5 []---[]

Man, that's intense. I'm considering getting one. The grass whip I used was a total failure. I have blisters on my hands at the bottom of the index finger, which is going to kill my deadlifts for the next few weeks. Maybe it's because it was rusty (bought used), but man, it was quite a bit of work and pain for not much gain. The Fiskars reel mower though was awesome, though it was a **** ton of work,and I can see why people have gone to mechanized mowers (of course, I haven't properly adjusted it yet, and the grass was probably 8-10" tall). I was planning to buy a prowler, but now, I think I'm just going to mow the loan after squats (dead srs) with the reel mower. Oh yeah, and the major issue is I'm so flippin' out of shape, I was huffin' and puffin' like I just did sprints.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the sharpening of the scythe if I get one. Do you take it to someone or do you follow all the steps on the site?
    I have a stone (you need one often) that keeps it pretty god for quite a while. I also got the peening jig and I use that and a vice to keep it really sharp. Sharp is important we say it often but mowing with a scythe, or shaving with a straight, proves it in a whole new way.

I use an antique Gillete when I shave half asleep at 4:30 in the morning. When I actually want a decent shave though then I reach for the straight.

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I enjoy a DE as well. I got one for Christmas in 2011, but I didn't use it for long because it was tearing up my skin. For some reason I broke it out again this past January, got some highly reviewed blades on Amazon and now I'm hooked. I even bought a scuttle to warm the soap. I can get a much closer shave than I ever could with typical commercial razors. I shave my head and I've even learned to carefully do it.

I really believe you have to get the right blades for your skin and get good soap. My only complaints are it takes longer, the lather is difficult for me to make right, and it is ridiculously easy to bleed with even the smallest of wrong moves.

I use an Edwin Jager chrome razor with astra blades and some home made soap I got on eBay...although I'm not all that pleased with it. It smells good, but the lather is terrible. The scuttle is from Robert Becker and was handcrafted.

It's a great shave and an interesting throwback hobby.....but I'm hardly saving any money!
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Keetman View Post
    I enjoy a DE as well. I got one for Christmas in 2011, but I didn't use it for long because it was tearing up my skin. For some reason I broke it out again this past January, got some highly reviewed blades on Amazon and now I'm hooked. I even bought a scuttle to warm the soap. I can get a much closer shave than I ever could with typical commercial razors. I shave my head and I've even learned to carefully do it.

I really believe you have to get the right blades for your skin and get good soap. My only complaints are it takes longer, the lather is difficult for me to make right, and it is ridiculously easy to bleed with even the smallest of wrong moves.

I use an Edwin Jager chrome razor with astra blades and some home made soap I got on eBay...although I'm not all that pleased with it. It smells good, but the lather is terrible. The scuttle is from Robert Becker and was handcrafted.

It's a great shave and an interesting throwback hobby.....but I'm hardly saving any money!
    Head out to a Bath & Body Works and pick up yourself some C.O. Bigelow shave cream. It's one of my favorites especially during the summer and it lathers up fairly easy. You can often get 3 tubes for $10. Also,iIf you haven't already check out www.badgerandblade.com it's a good forum about wet shaving to learn all about different products from some knowledgable people. Kind of like the Equipment crew.

http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/prod...090360.4248380

morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by BloodType3R View Post
    lol

But maybe that's because aside from these two incidents I've been pretty lucky with pups. I'm pretty much the definition of animal lover and have had many wonderful dogs. I'd be lying if I said these events haven't changed how I feel about larger dogs though. Fortunately, I've always been especially fond of hound breeds (bassets, beagles, harriers, fox hounds, etc) so no real limitations on future companion(s).

I'd like a small Black and Tan Coonhound but that's probably the biggest dog I'd ever own again. These guys can be pretty big so I wouldn't mind a less than pure bred rescue around 60lbs.
    Good taste! I have a bloodhound/coonhound mix that's a rescue. Coon hounds can be a lot to handle. My first dog was a purebred bloodhound.

My dog:

My first dog (I think I was in college at the time of this photo):
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #32 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #43 ()---() ▉---▉ Equipment Crew #50 ▉---▉

morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    One more photo

[]---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #32 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #43 ()---() ▉---▉ Equipment Crew #50 ▉---▉

Originally Posted by rthawker View Post
    Head out to a Bath & Body Works and pick up yourself some C.O. Bigelow shave cream. It's one of my favorites especially during the summer and it lathers up fairly easy. You can often get 3 tubes for $10. Also,iIf you haven't already check out www.badgerandblade.com it's a good forum about wet shaving to learn all about different products from some knowledgable people. Kind of like the Equipment crew.

Love that stuff. Really great lather and a nice cooling summer shave. You know its really Prorasso shave creme right?

This stuff:

and you can get three times as much for only twice the price here:

http://www.dermstore.com/product_Ref...Tube_48720.htm

Love that stuff. Really great lather and a nice cooling summer shave. You know its really Prorasso shave creme right?

This stuff:

I picked up a DE back in college because the razor plus the blades were less than half the price of the refills for my Atra and I need the money for beer that and a puck of Williams mug with the boar bristle brush sold next to it were my only shave equipment for a decade. I never knew shaving was a hobby for guys until I got interested in Straight razors about ten years ago. I never liked B&B much I used to live on SRP (straightrazorplace.com) though. Now I have a dozen straights a family of vintage Gillettes, an Injector from every decade they were around and a GEM single edge razor too. I still go back to that original DE when I'm in a hurry though and Williams mug still has a place in the rotation.

Keetman if you ever want to peel the skin right off your face you can borrow my GEM it takes a steadier hand than a Straight.
    Last edited by Wildtim; 05-03-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

That's actually what I learned to shave with back in the day. My folks don't believe in starting out with the easy stuff.

I still have it around here somewhere, along with a NOS single edge travel version.

All I've ever used was the Wilkinson Sword double-edge blades though, so I don't know how the other brands compare.
    Last edited by Stasher1; 05-03-2013 at 02:38 PM.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

This stuff:

I picked up a DE back in college because the razor plus the blades were less than half the price of the refills for my Atra and I need the money for beer that and a puck of Williams mug with the boar bristle brush sold next to it were my only shave equipment for a decade. I never knew shaving was a hobby for guys until I got interested in Straight razors about ten years ago. I never liked B&B much I used to live on SRP (straightrazorplace.com) though. Now I have a dozen straights a family of vintage Gillettes, an Injector from every decade they were around and a GEM single edge razor too. I still go back to that original DE when I'm in a hurry though and Williams mug still has a place in the rotation.

Keetman if you ever want to peel the skin right off your face you can borrow my GEM it takes a steadier hand than a Straight.

Hmmmm.....ironically, I have a puck of the Proraso soap that I tucked away when I bought the home made stuff. I actually like that soap, it lathered very well (at least I believe it did, considering my limited experience). I might end up going back to it for good after I'm done with the experimental stuff.

I'm good on the close shave department. Any closer at this point and I'd need some bandaids. It is a balancing act under my chin, I'll say that. My beard is course there and the angles are funny....so I try to get it smooth....but sometimes I end up having to utilize the styptic pencil generously .
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

This stuff:

My bad. I never even paid attention to the size of the tube in the link I offered. I have the 5.2oz tubes and IIRC I only paid $10 for all three during a sale at bath & body. Also I am aware it is Proraso. It's just more convenient for me to get the bigelow instead of ordering online. I haven't found a good source for shaving supplies locally.

My bad. I never even paid attention to the size of the tube in the link I offered. I have the 5.2oz tubes and IIRC I only paid $10 for all three during a sale at bath & body. Also I am aware it is Proraso. It's just more convenient for me to get the bigelow instead of ordering online. I haven't found a good source for shaving supplies locally.
    Three 5.2 for $10 now thats a Keetman of a deal

I never see the sales like that, of course there is only one Bath and Body near me and it is in the middle of the mall which I avoid like the plague. Never liked the mall. There is a mens store here that carries mens shaving supplies supplies and all sorts of high end goodies like really nice imported shoes and they are a tobacconist too awesome store but incredible prices they would make the craigslist loser thread easy with some stuff you gotta know your values before you pay twice the going rate for something from them.

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Since we're on the topic of shaving. . . .

You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

Gorgeous hounds, morebb! They look like they were really enjoying themselves.

Nice beaver, Atty.

Closed Thread
Page 83 of 299 FirstFirst ... 33 73 81 82 83 84 85 93 133 183 ... LastLast