Just1n1985 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just1n1985 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Push Ups after Bench Press

Will doing push ups after a bench workout help increase my muscle endurance? I leave in around 20 days for army basic training and I'd like to be able to get my 71 push ups in 2 minutes and i'm wondering if this would help or not..I like doing my push ups when i'm already burnt out from bench basically....so what do you guys think? thanks in advance

Dimension will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dimension will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dimension will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dimension will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dimension will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dimension will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dimension will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dimension will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dimension will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dimension will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dimension will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I guess it would be kind of like doing a superset so give it a try, but I wouldn't use that technique every time you lift.
    "All excuses are good ones, none are acceptable."

Animosity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    it depends how you bench, if your going to really work your chest on bench, then i wouldn't, you'll end up overtraining your chest and that would hurt in the long run, if i were you, i would just put light weight on bench, and pump it up fast, try to simulate what you'll be doing (fast pushups).

Superman is just really nice. (+1000) Superman is just really nice. (+1000) Superman is just really nice. (+1000) Superman is just really nice. (+1000) Superman is just really nice. (+1000) Superman is just really nice. (+1000) Superman is just really nice. (+1000) Superman is just really nice. (+1000) Superman is just really nice. (+1000) Superman is just really nice. (+1000) Superman is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you want to increase the amount of push-ups you can do in 2 minutes, then why don't you try doing sets of 2 minute long push-ups.

Just a thought.

ZachG_85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Superman
    If you want to increase the amount of push-ups you can do in 2 minutes, then why don't you try doing sets of 2 minute long push-ups.

Just a thought.
    Haha, well put.

Or if you want to vary it, do clap pushups. There's an old saying: The only way to get good at something is to practice doing it.

Just1n1985 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just1n1985 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just doing plain push ups gets boring.....thats why I'm tryin to find a way to mix it up a bit with weights and etc

Dimension will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dimension will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dimension will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dimension will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dimension will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dimension will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dimension will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dimension will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dimension will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dimension will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dimension will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally posted by Just1n1985
    Just doing plain push ups gets boring.....thats why I'm tryin to find a way to mix it up a bit with weights and etc
    Thre are a lot of alternatives to the regular old pushup. If you want something more challenging get a basketball, put your hands on it, and do pushups. Or there is the plyometric pushup which is where you explode up and clap.
    "All excuses are good ones, none are acceptable."

Noel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: Push Ups after Bench Press

Originally posted by Just1n1985
    Will doing push ups after a bench workout help increase my muscle endurance? I leave in around 20 days for army basic training and I'd like to be able to get my 71 push ups in 2 minutes and i'm wondering if this would help or not..I like doing my push ups when i'm already burnt out from bench basically....so what do you guys think? thanks in advance
    It worked for me.... I always finish my chest workout with some pushups.

llamabob will become famous soon enough. (+50) llamabob will become famous soon enough. (+50) llamabob will become famous soon enough. (+50) llamabob will become famous soon enough. (+50) llamabob will become famous soon enough. (+50) llamabob will become famous soon enough. (+50) llamabob will become famous soon enough. (+50) llamabob will become famous soon enough. (+50) llamabob will become famous soon enough. (+50) llamabob will become famous soon enough. (+50) llamabob will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    No, its a waste. You're burning energy you could be using to bench heavier weights. You break down muscle by stressing them, bodyweight pushups don't stress for crap. If you're not getting enough reps, it's not your endurance, the weight it too heavy.
    Kill one man and you are a murderer. Kill a million and you are a conquerer. Kill them all and you are God

If you train hard, you'll not only be hard, you'll be hard to beat.

Superman is just really nice. (+1000) Superman is just really nice. (+1000) Superman is just really nice. (+1000) Superman is just really nice. (+1000) Superman is just really nice. (+1000) Superman is just really nice. (+1000) Superman is just really nice. (+1000) Superman is just really nice. (+1000) Superman is just really nice. (+1000) Superman is just really nice. (+1000) Superman is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by llamabob
    No, its a waste. You're burning energy you could be using to bench heavier weights. You break down muscle by stressing them, bodyweight pushups don't stress for crap.
    So, you are saying drop sets, super sets and pre exhaust are all worthless? And if you do anything till failure, I'm don't understand how that isn't stressful.
    If you're not getting enough reps, it's not your endurance, the weight it too heavy.
    He is training for push-ups in a certian time-frame, not bench. How do you lighten the weight on push-ups in a military test?

Read the thread before posting.

llamabob will become famous soon enough. (+50) llamabob will become famous soon enough. (+50) llamabob will become famous soon enough. (+50) llamabob will become famous soon enough. (+50) llamabob will become famous soon enough. (+50) llamabob will become famous soon enough. (+50) llamabob will become famous soon enough. (+50) llamabob will become famous soon enough. (+50) llamabob will become famous soon enough. (+50) llamabob will become famous soon enough. (+50) llamabob will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    He mentioned doing bench and push ups, so thank you, I read the post. Supersets, pre exhuast, and drop sets are very different from doing push ups inbetween bench press.
    Kill one man and you are a murderer. Kill a million and you are a conquerer. Kill them all and you are God

If you train hard, you'll not only be hard, you'll be hard to beat.

Blandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You obviously didn't read it very well because he asked about doing push ups after his bench workout, not between sets. I agree with what has been said you are better off just doing 2 minuate sets of push ups.

BIGABOY is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BIGABOY is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BIGABOY is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BIGABOY is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BIGABOY is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BIGABOY is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BIGABOY is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BIGABOY is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BIGABOY is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BIGABOY is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BIGABOY is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I like doing one set of pushups to failuar after chest, I find it gets a good pump in the chest

BIGABOY

Rufio is just really nice. (+1000) Rufio is just really nice. (+1000) Rufio is just really nice. (+1000) Rufio is just really nice. (+1000) Rufio is just really nice. (+1000) Rufio is just really nice. (+1000) Rufio is just really nice. (+1000) Rufio is just really nice. (+1000) Rufio is just really nice. (+1000) Rufio is just really nice. (+1000) Rufio is just really nice. (+1000)
    well when your benching your supposed to let the bar down slowly instead of letting gravity help you out. and dont let the bar touch your chest and then just explode the bar upwards, and let it down slowly. its effective, no need for pushups
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying" - MJ

Aussie Rules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie Rules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie Rules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie Rules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie Rules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie Rules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie Rules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie Rules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie Rules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie Rules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie Rules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Superman

Just a thought.
    So if I want to run a quick 100 m sprint I should just do sets of 100 m sprints?

Get a clue, Superman!
    Someday in the not too distant future, a new challenger will explode out of the darkness and into Coleman's life like a nightmare, shattering his dreams and invading his kingdom.

Vitamin S has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vitamin S has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vitamin S has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vitamin S has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vitamin S has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vitamin S has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vitamin S has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vitamin S has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vitamin S has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vitamin S has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vitamin S has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I always hated the idea of doing push-ups at the gym. I always figured that it was a waste of money to pay for a membership and do exercises that I could do at home.
    You want a sick leg/lower back exercise? Just pick up after me when I'm done doing drop sets.

Originally posted by Aussie Rules
    So if I want to run a quick 100 m sprint I should just do sets of 100 m sprints?

Get a clue, Superman!
    Oh man, what the hell was I thinking? I'm so stupid.

Message Board King holyshinto63's Avatar
    holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    "and dont let the bar touch your chest and then just explode the bar upwards"..."its effective, no need for pushups"

your do let the bar touch your chest very lightly and you don't just explode, you control the movement. also doing the bench press and doing push up may work the same muscles but there a different movement.

"I always hated the idea of doing push-ups at the gym. I always figured that it was a waste of money to pay for a membership and do exercises that I could do at home."

so if you can do exercises at both the gym and at home its gotta be useless. that doesn't make sense.

Zen_Lifter is just really nice. (+1000) Zen_Lifter is just really nice. (+1000) Zen_Lifter is just really nice. (+1000) Zen_Lifter is just really nice. (+1000) Zen_Lifter is just really nice. (+1000) Zen_Lifter is just really nice. (+1000) Zen_Lifter is just really nice. (+1000) Zen_Lifter is just really nice. (+1000) Zen_Lifter is just really nice. (+1000) Zen_Lifter is just really nice. (+1000) Zen_Lifter is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by Aussie Rules

Get a clue, Superman!
    Yah.....you should.....ever heard of HIIT it is a very effective way of improving your sprinting... sprinting 100m and then doing a light jog for 60 sec and then sprinting for 100m again etc pyramiding down the rest time in between sprints.

Get a clue, Aussie Rules!
    "Change is Inevitable, Progress Isn't"

Poppa Pump is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poppa Pump is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poppa Pump is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poppa Pump is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poppa Pump is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poppa Pump is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poppa Pump is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poppa Pump is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poppa Pump is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poppa Pump is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poppa Pump is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    hm...well to get back to the initial topic..i'd say if you want to increase the amount of pushups you can do in 2 minutes without getting bored....benching first would be a great way to pre-exhaust the muscles....give it a go, why not? Though just doing pushups would probably be more effective. Peace
    REPS ARE ALWAYS GOOD

Steve has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steve has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steve has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steve has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steve has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steve has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steve has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steve has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steve has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steve has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steve has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    try doing all calisthenic work-outs for a little bit... it will wear u out. probably give a little bit of muscle/strength gain if u never tried it before. try something like this:

one-handed push ups
    one-handed pull ups (wide grip pull ups if you cant do any)
    handstand push ups
    1 leg squats (with no support/balance)

heavy bag work or jump rope or run

repeat

then go into another circut of more basic exercises.

crunches (max amount in 2:00)
    (ex dips
    wide grip pull-ups
    hindu push-ups (also known as catsprawl)
    hindu squats (aim for 25-200 depending on your endurance)

heavy bag/jump rope or run...

push-ups
    mid grip pull ups (palm up)
    incline push-ups
    wall chair (2-15 mins)

i did something really similar to this and it worked great for me.. really improved my endurance (both muscular and cardio), balance, and even a little for my strength too. if u could get used to a routine like that for around 4 different circuts of exercises with some type of cardio between and no rest, army boot camp will be nothing... do the heavy bag if you can for about 1 minute because it will wear your arms/shoulders out even more. kinda like pre-exausting. all sets are max number of reps except squats since there are people who build up to over 1000. the one i made for myself is longer and more thought out (tailored to myself and my goals). i can send it to you/post it if you want it.
    but the push-ups between sets will help improve your endurance.

How do you do the hindu push ups and squats...i found this link but i still don't understand how to do them....
    http://www.t-mag.com/articles/153combat.html

It explains how to do them but I still don't really get it...like for the push up do your hands and feet not move...and how the hell do you just swoop into the other positon like that?

and are the squats just basically a parallel squat with no weight?

Steve has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steve has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steve has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steve has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steve has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steve has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steve has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steve has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steve has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steve has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steve has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    the hindu squats are just squats without weight. you can go parallel if that's what you prefer, but I go all the way down. the reason matt furey was extending his arms like that is to maintain balance while keeping your body comfortably upright when doing fast reps. breathe out on the way down, and in on the way up.

hindu push-ups: your hands and feet should keep planted in the same place throughout the entire movement. from the up position, you basically just move your shoulders down towards the floor and then up into an arch. to get to the bottom position, you move in a semi-circular curve. then push yourself back up the same way you came. your body should follow the same path coming back up as it did going down. its kinda hard to explain, but try it out. you'll know when u get it right. or if you have any martial arts, wrestling, or yoga places near you they will probably know how to do it properly.

SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    just wondering... what's teh most push ups you guys can do non stop?? i got 122 and think it's purty good..
    bb's tackling guru?? ;p

I can only do around 70...you must be in really good shape if you can do 120

Are the hindu push ups supposed to be real hard or just medium difficulty...cuz they dont seem that hard and all but i'm sweating pretty bad and my arms are burning lol...strangely it doesnt burn while doing them

SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SSJ4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i never even heard of hindu push ups but they sound interesting.. i've just done a LOT of push ups.. i would be at home watching tv.. "think i'll squeeze some push ups in.." i started out with liek 30 push ups during every commercial break. now, i do 50 to 60 push ups per commercial break.. A LOT OF SETS.. like 10-15 sets of 30-50 push ups a day..
    bb's tackling guru?? ;p

Aussie Rules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie Rules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie Rules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie Rules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie Rules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie Rules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie Rules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie Rules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie Rules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie Rules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie Rules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Zen_Lifter
    Yah.....you should.....ever heard of HIIT it is a very effective way of improving your sprinting... sprinting 100m and then doing a light jog for 60 sec and then sprinting for 100m again etc pyramiding down the rest time in between sprints.

Get a clue, Aussie Rules!
    Really, so Mo Greene etc only do sets of 100 m sprints to improve their times. Obviously they train with weights as well.
    Someday in the not too distant future, a new challenger will explode out of the darkness and into Coleman's life like a nightmare, shattering his dreams and invading his kingdom.

my max push ups is 125

if your doing the hindu push ups right, they should be harder than regular push ups.. i can get about 1/2 as many hindu as regular. make sure you push yourself back up the exact same way you came and your not just lifting your butt to return to starting position. i like them because they give you a different angle to work with.. keeps it interesting.

i do that too... where every once in awhile i'll just go ahead and do 50 push ups....for me its when i'm playing comp games. i like games... but i dont watch alot of tv unless its anime.