Kendellgil07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Training for vertical jump

Hello I'm currently working on improving my vertical jump. I've gained about 8 inches since march. I was switching off and on atg squats and parallel squats, I hit 300x5 on parallel and have been working on atg for the last two weeks I'm up to 265x5 but after that the weight feels like its multiplied lol. Here is a pic of my depth on atg. I'm contemplating going a bit lighter on atg and using chains to work on explosiveness and tryito push through the heavier weights on atg. Any input is greatly appreciated, also is my atg squat deep enough??
    I'm 5'11 and 180lbs.

Thanks for reading

Edit: I guess I can't post a pic until I hit 50 posts.

Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Kendellgil07 View Post
    Hello I'm currently working on improving my vertical jump. I've gained about 8 inches since march. I was switching off and on atg squats and parallel squats, I hit 300x5 on parallel and have been working on atg for the last two weeks I'm up to 265x5 but after that the weight feels like its multiplied lol. Here is a pic of my depth on atg. I'm contemplating going a bit lighter on atg and using chains to work on explosiveness and tryito push through the heavier weights on atg. Any input is greatly appreciated, also is my atg squat deep enough??
    I'm 5'11 and 180lbs.

Thanks for reading

Edit: I guess I can't post a pic until I hit 50 posts.
    If you're training your vertical jump for basketball wise, add some plyo, do more atg's, or full squats whatever. Do depth drops, then nearing your pre season do depth jumps. Don't forget to do single leg exercises, for the one leg jumping explosiveness. Do rear dumbbell lunges, and Bulgarian split squats, and DON'T NEGLECT YOUR CORE WORK. You need a strong core to jump efficiently and up. Add deadlifts and rack pulls. Another thing you can do is, 60% of your squat and do 3x3 explosive paused back squats. Pause for like 3 seconds at the bottom, then explode up. Don't forget that for plyo, you should treat it as a high intense strength lifting workout, so put a lot of rest between sets.. it may seem easy or not as tiring, but if you just go at it, you will kill your CNS, and you'll be dead later on the day, and your performance will decline. an Example would be doing 5 sets of 5 depth jumps or depth drops. When ever you're doing depth drops doing front drops and back drops, and actually put 10-20 seconds of rest between a rep. (You should be doing front drops, back drops, side drops all in one workout day or your leg day.)
    Last edited by Unfocus; 07-02-2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: mistake
    Follow my Workout log-http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156251783
    -----------
    Teen BB Big 3 PL Champ
    |5'4"|160lbs|12%BF|18 years|
    BB Full Squat 1rm: 425lbs
    BB Deadlift 1rm: 475lbs
    Bench Press 1rm: 275lbs
    ★★★TBB FB Chat Crew★★★

Thanks for the input, I have been doing rim touches on varying heights, box jumps 4 sets of five, knees to chest jumps and 20 yard acceleration sprints. I can grab rim on 9'8" hoop from just a standing jump and on a good day I can grab 10' rim with a run up. Should I stay training plyo and strength equal amounts or start doing more plyo work? Thanks.

Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks for the input, I have been doing rim touches on varying heights, box jumps 4 sets of five, knees to chest jumps and 20 yard acceleration sprints. I can grab rim on 9'8" hoop from just a standing jump and on a good day I can grab 10' rim with a run up. Should I stay training plyo and strength equal amounts or start doing more plyo work? Thanks.
    So since you involved rim jumps, I'm assuming you do play basketball some what. Seems good, what you should do for warm up is line hops, nothing too much should be very small, like 20 lateral hop touches, then horizontal hops, and single leg laterals. To get the explosiveness going. Well this generally depends on you, you know what is best. Here's a good way to tell, usually if your standing vertical is really close to your running vertical jumps, you need more plyo work, if your running vertical jump is above quite a bit your standing like more than 6-10 inches, you need more strength work. A good thing you can do is this..
    Start with a lot of absorbing work, like small light work plyo, such as the line hops, the drops, things that require a lot of absorbing and not much jumping. Then obviously build into more jumping. If you know you're fairly balanced between strength and plyo, (like having a strong standing and strong running, which should be just 3-5 inches above your standing.) Then do this, do Strength work, like not super intense but a lot of strength. Probably for a month or two, then focus on speed work, which is more plyo now and explosive movements with your lifting, while maintaining the strength, so basically your applying the speed to strength. Then when your satisfied, (1-2months of speed work) go back to strength if you feel like you can build more, then go back to speed. When you want to finish it off, do a lot of power movements, and low reps, working really on using all your strength and speed together. Because well strength + Speed = power, which is needed for jumping, the ability to use the muscles really fast in a short amount of time. Don't forget that technique in jumping is a big factor, so practicing jumping technique, such as your approach and penultimate step.
    -----------
    Teen BB Big 3 PL Champ
    ★★★TBB FB Chat Crew★★★

What kind of core work should I be focusing on? My core has always been a week spot for me.

What kind of core work should I be focusing on? My core has always been a week spot for me.
    A good way to judge if your core is strong is the 3 min plank test,
    1) front plank hold for 60 seconds
    2) then raise your right arm and hold for 15 seconds
    3)put down, then do left arm for 15 seconds
    4)then raise right leg and hold for 15 seconds
    5)then put down, and do left leg for 15 seconds
    6) Keep left leg up and raise right arm and hold for 15 seconds
    7) then put both down and raise right leg and left arm and hold for 15 seconds)
    8) after put both down, and hold front plank again for 60 seconds

If you can do all of that without dropping and you're not having a hard time, your core is good.

But some core work you can do, or what I do is, always bracing my core when lifting that's good, but using a stability ball, and doing ball rollouts, and ball knee pulls. And a pallof press(search that up if you don't know what it is). I usually do 10-20 reps of an ab exercise. I usually do it on leg day today, because I go 2 upper and 2 lower in one week. Then on my deload weeks I do planks, usually hold as long as I can for 60 seconds, then do side planks, and same thing as long as I can up to 60 seconds, then repeat for 2 times. You can do glute raises or bridges, the humping exercises, leg raises, than upgrade to hanging leg raises, you don't necessarily need to do complicated ab exercises to get a strong core, if you do though want to shred the body fat on your abs you then would need to do several exercises.
    -----------
    Teen BB Big 3 PL Champ
    ★★★TBB FB Chat Crew★★★

Alright thanks. I'll give those things a shot and see how it goes.

Alright thanks. I'll give those things a shot and see how it goes.
    Good luck man! Hope it goes well for ya
    -----------
    Teen BB Big 3 PL Champ
    ★★★TBB FB Chat Crew★★★

conorlowe32 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) conorlowe32 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) conorlowe32 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) conorlowe32 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) conorlowe32 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) conorlowe32 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I got the Max Vertical Jump System off amazon for like $2.99 and it is just as good or better then all the programs websites are selling for like $60, I have already gained 7inches in about 9weeks. Might check it out.