Registered User Legendsneverdie's Avatar
    Legendsneverdie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Legendsneverdie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Legendsneverdie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Legendsneverdie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Legendsneverdie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Legendsneverdie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Legendsneverdie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Legendsneverdie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Legendsneverdie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Legendsneverdie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Legendsneverdie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

what are my chances in local powerlifting??

i guess this thread is a two part question.

First what are my chances to do well in powerlifting. Current weight is about 235lbs (going to cut down to about 220lbs soon, then bulk back up). 100% natural, wouldnt mind being piss tested and competing in a natural league.
    So i guess i d like to compete at 220lbs ish.

My PR's are the following:
    squat 500lbs belt/oly shoes (prob could do more, havent tried yet)
    bench 355 raw
    deadlift 500lbs (just switched to sumo deadllift form, hope this helps increase my dead soon)

So what are some tournies in Ct? where should i find out about them?
    how well would i fair around 220lbs

thanks.
    IF YOU DONT SQUAT, YOU AINT SQUAT

takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000)
    There will always be someone stronger than you. There will always be people weaker than you. Either or both may be on the platform that day. Neither may show up.

It's not about who else is there. It's about setting and meeting or exceeding your own goals. If you want to be competitive, start totaling around 2800-3000. Otherwise, just enjoy the experience and do better each time you compete.

To find meets, check the meet list at powerliftingwatch.com.

Legendsneverdie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Legendsneverdie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Legendsneverdie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Legendsneverdie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Legendsneverdie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Legendsneverdie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Legendsneverdie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Legendsneverdie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Legendsneverdie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Legendsneverdie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Legendsneverdie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by takeittakeit View Post
    There will always be someone stronger than you. There will always be people weaker than you. Either or both may be on the platform that day. Neither may show up.

It's not about who else is there. It's about setting and meeting or exceeding your own goals. If you want to be competitive, start totaling around 2800-3000. Otherwise, just enjoy the experience and do better each time you compete.

great advice.. Where can i find information about local comps in CT?

takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000) takeittakeit is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Legendsneverdie View Post

10char

Szarko is not very helpful. (-500) Szarko is not very helpful. (-500) Szarko is not very helpful. (-500) Szarko is not very helpful. (-500) Szarko is not very helpful. (-500) Szarko is not very helpful. (-500) Szarko is not very helpful. (-500) Szarko is not very helpful. (-500) Szarko is not very helpful. (-500) Szarko is not very helpful. (-500) Szarko is not very helpful. (-500)
    You would probably win your division at a "natural league" comp.

Originally Posted by Szarko View Post
    You would probably win your division at a "natural league" comp.
    i m doubting that.. what with the quotations?

Stay safe ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) henrycole's Avatar
    henrycole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) henrycole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) henrycole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) henrycole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) henrycole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) henrycole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) henrycole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) henrycole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) henrycole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) henrycole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) henrycole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    nah man, with your stats you cant qualify for the meet, sorry tough.
    Instagram: ayy_lmao_m8

Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You'd probably be an open 220, which is the most heavily populated group in all of powerlifting (i'd guess?) but odds are you will be one of at most 3 lifters in that class at any local meet..... good chance you'll be the only one. So you'll probably win. But it all depends on who shows up. Powerlifting meets can't be won or lost the day of, they are won the months and years before.

Either way just ****ing compete there is no reason not to. Its not like a team sport where losing matters

johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/4421

EDIT: Dang whats up with CT only shows 3 meets for 2012. 1 in June, 1 in July, and 1 in Oct.
    Last edited by johnolexa; 06-13-2012 at 06:48 PM.
    148# class Masters 50-54
    100% RAW Fed.
    Squat 290
    Bench 205
    Deadlift 370

Originally Posted by Torrtrefireto View Post
    You'd probably be an open 220, which is the most heavily populated group in all of powerlifting (i'd guess?) but odds are you will be one of at most 3 lifters in that class at any local meet..... good chance you'll be the only one. So you'll probably win. But it all depends on who shows up. Powerlifting meets can't be won or lost the day of, they are won the months and years before.

Either way just ****ing compete there is no reason not to. Its not like a team sport where losing matters
    yeah i know at the more national level my lifts would get crushed. I d just like to get in the grove at local meets. And i have been weight training for years already!! Naturally too so thats why i d rather compete where it is piss tested.

Originally Posted by johnolexa View Post
    http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/4421

EDIT: Dang whats up with CT only shows 3 meets for 2012. 1 in June, 1 in July, and 1 in Oct.
    Yeah you are right i just checked, maybe i ll have to drive out of state?? i d like a few more months before i compete cause i know i can get my deadlift up some more. Just experimenting with sumo deadlift and i think i feel stronger with that stance.

PLmanlet will become famous soon enough. (+50) PLmanlet will become famous soon enough. (+50) PLmanlet will become famous soon enough. (+50) PLmanlet will become famous soon enough. (+50) PLmanlet will become famous soon enough. (+50) PLmanlet will become famous soon enough. (+50) PLmanlet will become famous soon enough. (+50) PLmanlet will become famous soon enough. (+50) PLmanlet will become famous soon enough. (+50) PLmanlet will become famous soon enough. (+50) PLmanlet will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    His point is, natural doesn't always mean natural. I know several guys who use and simply stop taking around the time they get tested. Since there is no 24/7/365 way to monitor it, there will always be cheaters in "natural", tested leagues. It sucks, but its just the way it goes.

St.Croix77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) St.Croix77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) St.Croix77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) St.Croix77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) St.Croix77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) St.Croix77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) St.Croix77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) St.Croix77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) St.Croix77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) St.Croix77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) St.Croix77 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Ya CT doesn't really have a lot of Full Power meets. Push/Pull are more available. I'm trying to find a Full Power meet in the fall because I've never squatted in competition. Looks like I'm headed to Mass.

jtteg_X is just really nice. (+1000) jtteg_X is just really nice. (+1000) jtteg_X is just really nice. (+1000) jtteg_X is just really nice. (+1000) jtteg_X is just really nice. (+1000) jtteg_X is just really nice. (+1000) jtteg_X is just really nice. (+1000) jtteg_X is just really nice. (+1000) jtteg_X is just really nice. (+1000) jtteg_X is just really nice. (+1000) jtteg_X is just really nice. (+1000)
    After you find a meet you can commit to make sure to read the rule book of that particular federation. I wouldn't get caught up being the strongest lifter in your division cause it means absolutely nothing until you set your own PR and beat it next time around. The term "drug-free" is used very loosely at local powerlifting meets. I would only guess they follow through with it at national/world class levels.

strangeclouds is a name known to all. (+5000) strangeclouds is a name known to all. (+5000) strangeclouds is a name known to all. (+5000) strangeclouds is a name known to all. (+5000) strangeclouds is a name known to all. (+5000) strangeclouds is a name known to all. (+5000) strangeclouds is a name known to all. (+5000) strangeclouds is a name known to all. (+5000) strangeclouds is a name known to all. (+5000) strangeclouds is a name known to all. (+5000) strangeclouds is a name known to all. (+5000)

Maybe its just late here, but that's sarcasm right? I find it difficult Totaling over 1800 at 220.

untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000)

I loled.

OP, if u dont use gear i rate compete in 100% Raw Fed, they have a good amount or comps during the year and u compete at a semi international level, there is a meet soon in america soon, not sure when since im not american. just google and check the website. All lifters get drug tested so u dont have to worry bout juice in other lifters, just go compete, it doesnt matter if u win or loose, since i have a feeling u might not be used to lifting under comp situations. Good Luck
    Athletics > Aesthetics
    I guess its time to start training again.
    - No longer in a long term relationship crew because sloots gun sloot.
    - Finishing a degree at age 30 crew

Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    OP,

Your lifts are good. Actually your raw numbers are pretty much the same as mine (I compete geared). There are some pretty strong 220s in CT but that shouldn't put you off from competing. Right now RPS does one meet in CT, the Europa. It's on June 30 this year but it's already full. You should go check it out (though it's a $20 entry fee, but well worth it considering all the free stuff you get there). APA usually does 3-4 meets a year, usually in Wallingford at Metal Health Gym and now in East Hartford at Iron Horse Gym. I believe there is a meet at Iron Horse on July 14th.

There are also plenty of meets throughout the year in nearby locations. RPS usually does 2 meets in Rhode Island or Mass in October and March and they do one in Newark in January which is a pretty big meet. APA does a few around Mass as well, usually they have one in oct/Nov.

There are plenty of contests. My first suggestion would be to check out both Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate and apa-wpa websites as those two hold the majority of the meets around here.
    I'm not DrewDarden

Best Meet lifts: S:805 B:705 D:560 Total:2070 (220, equipped, drug free)
    Best Raw (gym lifts): S:540 B:380 D:515

Want to bench more? Click here: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178958341
    ~ Molon Labe ~

I'm VitaminVendetta PerpetualMotion's Avatar
    PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Why does it matter what place you're in?

Some people hate Louie, some people like him but he said something once that resonated with me and convinced me to compete in my first competition this coming Nov. regardless of how much I lift:

Angelo Berardinelli said it best: “They are two types of people—the prey and the predator.” Which are you? And don’t stroke your ego. I watched Angelo try to break the world middle-weight squat record for years. He was always close but was never able to break it. The record kept going up from 766 to 771 to 773. Finally, at the WPO in York, Pennsylvania, in June 2002 he made 777. Now, Angelo has that world record, and he dares anyone to take it away from him. The top middle-weights this year are all predators. When I hear someone tell me what place he got in a meet rather than what his numbers were or if he got a personal record, I know his ego will hold him back. The real contest is with yourself. A trophy proves only what you have done but has no bearing on what will happen next. You must always do better and better. That’s the real world. You can be the greatest powerlifter in the world, but the day you retire, you’re forgotten.
    “Go back?" he thought. "No good at all! Go sideways? Impossible! Go forward? Only thing to do! On we go!" So up he got, and trotted along with his little sword held in front of him and one hand feeling the wall, and his heart all of a patter and a pitter.”

Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Good quote right there. Listen dude our sport sucks. There's a billion federations each with a dozen weight classes and gear slash drug categories. What this means is that just about everyone goes home with a gold medal even if they in 135 for all 3 lifts.

Also because of this people can break state national and even world records with joke lifts. Hell I At one point had a national record with a 375 bench. It's a joke. That's Why you need to say **** records **** placing and lift against yourself.

SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm not too familiar with how far away stuff is from each other up in New England but if Mass isn't too far away I'd look into some USAPL stuff around there. They have a lot of members up there. And it is piss tested.

And you can see be the records that you're not far off of them so you'd be pretty competitive as long as your squats are to the proper depth in training.

http://mass-lift.com/
    ***Georgia Crew***

not actually a goose goosefrabbas's Avatar
    goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Don't listen to Judge. He just likes old men watching him pee.
    Meet: 440/248/485 = 1173@144 sp

My powerlifting log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135067661&page=39

bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i m doubting that.. what with the quotations?
    there's no such thing as a natural or a drug free federation. There are "tested" feds, but all federations are going to have people who use.

Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by bmontgomery87 View Post
    there's no such thing as a natural or a drug free federation. There are "tested" feds, but all federations are going to have people who use.
    WNPF is pretty close to drug free. I think they even do polygraph on their "lifetime" drug-free members.
    I'm not DrewDarden

Want to bench more? Click here: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178958341
    ~ Molon Labe ~

SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Drew23 View Post
    WNPF is pretty close to drug free. I think they even do polygraph on their "lifetime" drug-free members.
    Never seen a test given at a WNPF meet.
    ***Georgia Crew***

Originally Posted by SPFjudge View Post
    Never seen a test given at a WNPF meet.
    Never been to one, just going on what they claim.
    I'm not DrewDarden

~ Molon Labe ~

Originally Posted by Drew23 View Post
    Never been to one, just going on what they claim.
    They are definatly back yard style meets.
    ***Georgia Crew***