Birdbrainguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Birdbrainguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Birdbrainguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Birdbrainguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Birdbrainguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Birdbrainguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Birdbrainguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Birdbrainguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Birdbrainguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Birdbrainguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Birdbrainguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Strength while cutting?

What's supposed to happen to your strength when cutting? I'm on my first cut and my gains have essentially come to a stop. Most of my compound lifts are stalling, been at the same bench and squat for weeks while deadlift, OH press, and rows are seeing only slight progress (I'm using a 5-day split so I do other lifts and some isolation as well, similar story). Some days I come in and I even feel like I've lost some strength, but luckily that's usually only for the one session.

I'm strongly considering moving to a 5x5 routine but I don't think there's any way I could keep up with the gains until I go back to bulking. I've lost about 7lb so far without losing much/any strength on most lifts, but without gaining much either. Is this what's supposed to happen when cutting, or am I doing something wrong?

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    cutting implies you are in a calorie deficit
    muscle building requires a calorie surplus
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Does Not Count Macros Crew

"Think in terms of limits and the result is limitation
    Think in terms of progress and the result is progression"

my day:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156294333

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My strength and lifts increase
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

Birdbrainguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Birdbrainguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Birdbrainguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Birdbrainguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Birdbrainguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Birdbrainguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Birdbrainguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Birdbrainguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Birdbrainguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Birdbrainguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Birdbrainguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by determined4000 View Post
    I'm aware of this, but then I see things like this:

Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    My strength and lifts increase
    And it makes me doubt things. Do you just have to have good genetics to gain on a cut, or is there some method I'm missing?

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Birdbrainguy View Post
    And it makes me doubt things. Do you just have to have good genetics to gain on a cut, or is there some method I'm missing?
    Gain what? I don't gain muscle on a cut
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

Gain what? I don't gain muscle on a cut
    Then how do your strength and lifts continue to increase?

I'm not really concerned with continuing to gain size during a cut (wouldn't that be nice). I just like to see progress in my lifts and it seems like some guys (like you?) are able to continue that while cutting, despite the theoretical truth that you need to be in a caloric surplus to do it.

Originally Posted by Birdbrainguy View Post
    Then how do your strength and lifts continue to increase?
    You don't have to gain muscle to gain strength

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by determined4000 View Post
    FYI: Many people can gain muscle while in a caloric deficit. It's just not easy or efficient compared to a bulking/cutting cycle.

IronMan2010 is just really nice. (+1000) IronMan2010 is just really nice. (+1000) IronMan2010 is just really nice. (+1000) IronMan2010 is just really nice. (+1000) IronMan2010 is just really nice. (+1000) IronMan2010 is just really nice. (+1000) IronMan2010 is just really nice. (+1000) IronMan2010 is just really nice. (+1000) IronMan2010 is just really nice. (+1000) IronMan2010 is just really nice. (+1000) IronMan2010 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Not sure why this is posted in the Nutrition section lol....But anyways, most people will lose strength when cutting, especially towards the back end of a cut, when carbs are low and cardio is high....i've found the key is keeping up the intensity in the gym....trying to get as heavy weights as you can all the time, ofcourse these weights MAY decrease slightly throughout the cutting stage....but aslong as intensity is kept up in each session, and you hit it hard this shouldn't be a problem
    "Success is a journey, Not a destination"

"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but nobody wanna lift some heavy ass weights!" -
    Ronnie Coleman

"Yeahhhhhh buddy" -
    King Ronnie!

mickfortis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickfortis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickfortis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickfortis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickfortis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickfortis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickfortis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickfortis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickfortis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickfortis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickfortis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've also lost considerable strength while cutting, mostly on bench press. Before my cut, my bench was 270x6-7... now 3 months into my cut my bench is 270x3....my OHP on the other hand has stayed the same. How the hell do some people gain strength when cutting? My guess is theyre most likely beginners.

Originally Posted by mickfortis View Post
    I've also lost considerable strength while cutting, mostly on bench press. Before my cut, my bench was 270x6-7... now 3 months into my cut my bench is 270x3....my OHP on the other hand has stayed the same. How the hell do some people gain strength when cutting? My guess is theyre most likely beginners.
    Not a beginner at all

Squats/deads increase, bench is the only one that can decrease although should maintain

Fix your diet, mentality and intensity

mickfortis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickfortis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickfortis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickfortis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickfortis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickfortis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickfortis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickfortis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickfortis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickfortis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickfortis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Not a beginner at all

Squats/deads increase, bench is the only one that can decrease although should maintain

Fix your diet, mentality and intensity
    .......ok.

Ryan314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryan314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryan314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryan314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryan314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryan314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryan314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryan314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryan314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryan314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryan314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm maintaining and increasing strength on my cut cycle right now (Wendler's). Since I know size gains are not happening during a deficit, if there's one thing I can keep increasing it's the weights. Makes cutting a little more enjoyable .

TunaShakes will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaShakes will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaShakes will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaShakes will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaShakes will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaShakes will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaShakes will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaShakes will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaShakes will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaShakes will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaShakes will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There are to many variables for a simple answer. It depends on how big your calorie deficit is, how much body fat you're carrying, and how low your body fat is relative to what you gravitate towards naturally. It'll be easier to increase lifts with a smaller calorie deficit or to maintain strength, but fat loss will also be slower.
    Follow progress on
    IG: daniel.in.sea

Currently:
    200bs 13% bf

BP: 365lbs
    Sq: 515lbs
    (strict)OHP: 225lbs
    DL: 605lbs

"Your goals, minus your doubts, equal your reality."
    -Ralph Marston

�Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.�
    -Unknown