TheWrath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheWrath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheWrath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheWrath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheWrath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheWrath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheWrath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheWrath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheWrath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheWrath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheWrath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

juggernaut method few questions

I finally decided to read the book after I keep seeing so many threads about how great this method is. I heard it was a lot like 5/3/1 which I come to find it is but after reading it I have a few things im wondering about.
    im not a powerlifter so I may not quite understand all the conceps but I do use a good deal of it to help my bodybuilding training.
    from what I know, the way this program is set up with the 3 phases in each rep rang (taking you 3 weeks to complete each rep range cycle) before moving onto the next, this is a form of LINEAR periodization, correct? if im reading it correctly you spend 3 weeks training one rep range starting at 10 than 8 and down right? so by the time you get to 5s you havent trained in that heavy rep range in almost 2 months? not here to bash it at all, im just trying to figure out if this is a simple basic form of LINEAR periodization as I know for advanced athletes this would not be as usefull as a form of NON LINEAR.
    AAEFX REP

prince_nas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prince_nas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prince_nas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prince_nas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prince_nas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prince_nas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prince_nas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prince_nas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prince_nas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prince_nas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by TheWrath View Post
    I finally decided to read the book after I keep seeing so many threads about how great this method is. I heard it was a lot like 5/3/1 which I come to find it is but after reading it I have a few things im wondering about.
    im not a powerlifter so I may not quite understand all the conceps but I do use a good deal of it to help my bodybuilding training.
    from what I know, the way this program is set up with the 3 phases in each rep rang (taking you 3 weeks to complete each rep range cycle) before moving onto the next, this is a form of LINEAR periodization, correct? if im reading it correctly you spend 3 weeks training one rep range starting at 10 than 8 and down right? so by the time you get to 5s you havent trained in that heavy rep range in almost 2 months? not here to bash it at all, im just trying to figure out if this is a simple basic form of LINEAR periodization as I know for advanced athletes this would not be as usefull as a form of NON LINEAR.
    read page 6 & 7.

and Chad Smith used it to squat 800LB.

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It is linear but at the same time you alter your maxes in a non linear fashion. In 5/3/1 you start light and generally hit your minimum reps for the first 5-10 cycles and add whatever weight increment to each lift every time you hit those minimums, regardless of how many additional reps you perform on the AMAP sets. With Juggernaut it is almost and RPE method where you are using prescribed percentages base don your training maxes but on your realization week (week 3 each phase) you adjust your max for the next phase based on your performance, so for squats or deadlifts I would add something like 5 lbs per extra rep on the AMAP set, so if I did 15 reps on my 10's phase, thats 25 lbs added onto my max for to be used for the very next phase whereas with 5/3/1 you would still only add the static 10 lbs or whatever you happen to be using as a weight jump.

Basically you are starting light either way but you have the potential to be using heavier weights sooner with juggernaut then with the standard version of 5/3/1, and both programs are based around the fact that gaining reps with lower wieght is still gaining strength. It is more set up for athletes then specific to powerlifting although you can easily adjust both programs to suit your needs. I like it because I literally NEVER do sets above 5 on any of my main lifts and although I know personally even though my 10 rep max increasing doesn't do tons for my 1 rep max its still going to be beneficial in the long run.

TheWrath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheWrath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheWrath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheWrath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheWrath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheWrath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheWrath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheWrath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheWrath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheWrath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheWrath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Retardo-pex View Post
    It is linear but at the same time you alter your maxes in a non linear fashion. In 5/3/1 you start light and generally hit your minimum reps for the first 5-10 cycles and add whatever weight increment to each lift every time you hit those minimums, regardless of how many additional reps you perform on the AMAP sets. With Juggernaut it is almost and RPE method where you are using prescribed percentages base don your training maxes but on your realization week (week 3 each phase) you adjust your max for the next phase based on your performance, so for squats or deadlifts I would add something like 5 lbs per extra rep on the AMAP set, so if I did 15 reps on my 10's phase, thats 25 lbs added onto my max for to be used for the very next phase whereas with 5/3/1 you would still only add the static 10 lbs or whatever you happen to be using as a weight jump.

Basically you are starting light either way but you have the potential to be using heavier weights sooner with juggernaut then with the standard version of 5/3/1, and both programs are based around the fact that gaining reps with lower wieght is still gaining strength. It is more set up for athletes then specific to powerlifting although you can easily adjust both programs to suit your needs. I like it because I literally NEVER do sets above 5 on any of my main lifts and although I know personally even though my 10 rep max increasing doesn't do tons for my 1 rep max its still going to be beneficial in the long run.
    thank you, that makes sense, im still trying to figure out which plan I want to run, I liked 5/3/1 but yes it does take a while to start going heavy with the set weight increases. I like the idea of increasing them based on performace. Maybe I will give it a shot since I have not heard anything bad
    AAEFX REP

I think im gonna give it a go, I really want to work on my big three and improve my strength long term. Was wondering though do you guys sugest the juggernaut method for long term? compared to 5/3/1? when I say long term I mean repeating the whole cycle multiple times
    AAEFX REP