KGAZ1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Between Set Rest Intervals

I was wondering if you are having trouble acheiving your desired rep. range within your specific inter-set rest interval whether it is better to lengthen your rest interval in order to achieve the desired number of reps. or go down in weight?

V-Robb is on a distinguished road. (+10) V-Robb is on a distinguished road. (+10) V-Robb is on a distinguished road. (+10) V-Robb is on a distinguished road. (+10) V-Robb is on a distinguished road. (+10) V-Robb is on a distinguished road. (+10) V-Robb is on a distinguished road. (+10) V-Robb is on a distinguished road. (+10) V-Robb is on a distinguished road. (+10) V-Robb is on a distinguished road. (+10) V-Robb is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    As almost every answer, it depends. What are your goals? If you're looking for maximum hypertrophy then longer rest intervals may be what you need. If you're looking to gain muscle and lose fat, then shorter rest intervals are effective in keeping up the cardio component of the workout. It's called being in a constant state of partial recovery, and it kicks my a$$ big time when I do it.
    Any help there?
    Looking to reach my full pump-tential!

Lift long and prosper...

jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You'll get lots of answers for this question. Personally, I like 60 seconds. It keeps my workouts intense. If I stop watching the clock between sets and just rest until I feel ready to go again, I quickly find myself taking longer and longer breaks in an effort to push more weight. Doing that, I'm not really stronger, just more rested. Timing my rest periods takes that variable out of the equation.

spiirit is on a distinguished road. (+10) spiirit is on a distinguished road. (+10) spiirit is on a distinguished road. (+10) spiirit is on a distinguished road. (+10) spiirit is on a distinguished road. (+10) spiirit is on a distinguished road. (+10) spiirit is on a distinguished road. (+10) spiirit is on a distinguished road. (+10) spiirit is on a distinguished road. (+10) spiirit is on a distinguished road. (+10) spiirit is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by KGAZ1 View Post
    I was wondering if you are having trouble acheiving your desired rep. range within your specific inter-set rest interval whether it is better to lengthen your rest interval in order to achieve the desired number of reps. or go down in weight?
    I use heart rate and/or breathing rate to set the pace. It always turns out to be about 90 sec. for me... I can always keep up a steady pace at that rate without a feeling of slacking.
    Tom W.

Blumeanie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blumeanie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blumeanie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blumeanie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blumeanie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blumeanie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blumeanie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blumeanie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blumeanie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blumeanie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blumeanie is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I tend to stick with the 60 second rule as well, but my times tend to fluctuate a little bit. I do sit-ups between the majority of my sets, so including the sit-ups I sometimes have around 1 1/2 - 2 minutes between sets. Not sure why I bother though, I never cut weight (permanent bulking plan), so I'll never have abs that show. At least they will be there if I ever change my mind...lol
    Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun. "Ash from Army of Darkness"

joestrom2002 is just really nice. (+1000) joestrom2002 is just really nice. (+1000) joestrom2002 is just really nice. (+1000) joestrom2002 is just really nice. (+1000) joestrom2002 is just really nice. (+1000) joestrom2002 is just really nice. (+1000) joestrom2002 is just really nice. (+1000) joestrom2002 is just really nice. (+1000) joestrom2002 is just really nice. (+1000) joestrom2002 is just really nice. (+1000) joestrom2002 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by V-Robb View Post
    As almost every answer, it depends. What are your goals? If you're looking for maximum hypertrophy then longer rest intervals may be what you need. If you're looking to gain muscle and lose fat, then shorter rest intervals are effective in keeping up the cardio component of the workout. It's called being in a constant state of partial recovery, and it kicks my a$$ big time when I do it. Any help there?
    Not sure about what you're saying, maybe you got it mixed up?

Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Depending on my goals, strength/power, endurance, hypertrophy, I let the weight dictate the reps and as well the type of set performance like circuits, less rest, drop sets, super setting, more rest etc.-Ty
    All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the ... day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.

Tybalt aka The Phantom Menace
    BodDbyTybalt Fitness
    Can-Fit Pro PTS,NWS

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by jdtemple View Post
    You'll get lots of answers for this question. Personally, I like 60 seconds. It keeps my workouts intense. If I stop watching the clock between sets and just rest until I feel ready to go again, I quickly find myself taking longer and longer breaks in an effort to push more weight. Doing that, I'm not really stronger, just more rested. Timing my rest periods takes that variable out of the equation.
    Ditto...I'll second this. And absolutely no socializing while working out.

keltalon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jdtemple View Post
    This is what I tend to stick with as well mostly with smaller muscle groups. Now when I work legs and heavy back workouts I rest a bit longer to let enough blood circulate through the muscle and I am right back at it. Hope this helps!