Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    pbohart will become famous soon enough. (+50) pbohart will become famous soon enough. (+50) pbohart will become famous soon enough. (+50) pbohart will become famous soon enough. (+50) pbohart will become famous soon enough. (+50) pbohart will become famous soon enough. (+50) pbohart will become famous soon enough. (+50) pbohart will become famous soon enough. (+50) pbohart will become famous soon enough. (+50) pbohart will become famous soon enough. (+50) pbohart will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by stillfit View Post
    I joined a gym a year ago but all those pics are from Bowflex. I hate to say that because people are always slamming them, but it worked ok for me. Of course I didn't do the 20 minutes three times a week program
    Have you sent those pictures to the marketing guys at Bowflex?

Jared:Subway::Stillfit:Bowflex

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I believe there is something to it. This particular case looks to be more about nutrition and hard work than MM.
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

FishChris is just really nice. (+1000) FishChris is just really nice. (+1000) FishChris is just really nice. (+1000) FishChris is just really nice. (+1000) FishChris is just really nice. (+1000) FishChris is just really nice. (+1000) FishChris is just really nice. (+1000) FishChris is just really nice. (+1000) FishChris is just really nice. (+1000) FishChris is just really nice. (+1000) FishChris is just really nice. (+1000)
    Well, I certainly believe muscle memory is real..... and since I was never 10% as swole as I wanted to be.... Doh !
    But you should have seen Stillfit at 25 ! (or did you post those ?)

Anyway, a few things I wanted to say > Stillfit looks even bigger / badder in person !

Secondly, dude, take off that stinkin' tank top ! {can you guys believe he is self conscious because he's up from an uber lean 4%, or something crazy, to a whopping 8 or 9% BF ? I wish I were "fat" like that LOL} Dude, you look freaking great !

Oh, and yes, he got back to nearly where he is now on a Bow Flex.... Often my chair when I go over to visit

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh hey though, while I do totally believe in muscle memory, as it was mentioned earlier, I think another aspect that factors in to the equasion is, whatever genetics, workouts, etc, that played into you becoming huge before, are still there, and in effect now.

And Still fit, you will never convince me that you have poor genetics for building mass / cutting fat ! You and Zack Kahn too, right ? LOL

Peace,
    Fish

skazclaw will become famous soon enough. (+50) skazclaw will become famous soon enough. (+50) skazclaw will become famous soon enough. (+50) skazclaw will become famous soon enough. (+50) skazclaw will become famous soon enough. (+50) skazclaw will become famous soon enough. (+50) skazclaw will become famous soon enough. (+50) skazclaw will become famous soon enough. (+50) skazclaw will become famous soon enough. (+50) skazclaw will become famous soon enough. (+50) skazclaw will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    it's muscle memory if u getting that tank from bowflex, rippetoe mentions this too in SS first few pages.
    "9 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, 20 for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body."

1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Team Kai.

pbohart will become famous soon enough. (+50) pbohart will become famous soon enough. (+50) pbohart will become famous soon enough. (+50) pbohart will become famous soon enough. (+50) pbohart will become famous soon enough. (+50) pbohart will become famous soon enough. (+50) pbohart will become famous soon enough. (+50) pbohart will become famous soon enough. (+50) pbohart will become famous soon enough. (+50) pbohart will become famous soon enough. (+50) pbohart will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Here is a meta-analysis that was done this year.

http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Ab...dy_Mass.8.aspx

The conclusion is kind of obvious - heavy resistance training in older men significantly increased LBM (really?...who would thought it??)

Interesting thing, though, is the last line where they find evidence that LBM gains were most pronounced in individuals who had weight trained earlier in life (i.e. muscle memory)

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by -=FLEX=- View Post
    Started training again last January and within 3 months my bench was up to 275 and I was squatting 315 for 5 reps.
    IMHO there is muscle memory in terms of performing movements, but it's your brain that remembers not your muscles. If by muscle memory you're referring to remembering the size they used to be, it's broscience.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Getsum View Post
    I know that whenever I come back from a break, the last one was for over a year, it doesn't take that long for my lifts to get back to their old levels. My bench and deadlifts are both the best they've ever been and my squats aren't that far behind.
    Yes, but it should be called something like "muscle PERFORMANCE memory", which is different than what the OP is suggesting as "muscle SIZE memory". They are different, and one is real and the other isnt.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by bigtallox View Post
    Yes, but it should be called something like "muscle PERFORMANCE memory", which is different than what the OP is suggesting as "muscle SIZE memory". They are different, and one is real and the other isnt.
    I hear you....but what is compelling to me is how my body wants to get back to the LBM that I maintained earlier in life through resistance training. Even in spite of caloric deficit, I still gain muscle.

My most recent example is coming back, I dropped 20+lbs of fat while making lean gains of 7-10lbs in 3 months...ON A DEFICIT of 1000 calories.

So you might say...that I am a natural and my body gains mass easily...well not true. It took me 5+ years to gain the mass the first time. I never gained more the 5-7 lbs in a year....let alone 7lbs in three months.

I can only go by what I have experienced and I dont think I am supernatural....
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

truthandlife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) truthandlife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) truthandlife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) truthandlife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) truthandlife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) truthandlife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) truthandlife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) truthandlife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) truthandlife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) truthandlife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) truthandlife is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Stillfit, you look awesome. I hope you are "natural" and it actually looks like you are. I am sure you have a lot that accuse you of not being.

As for muscle memory, it is "real" as everyone has said. I entered a transformation contest a few years ago from Met-Rx and I did this in 7 months.

A lot of people accusing me of being "chemically enhanced" but I was completely natural during this competition. It was muscle memory and all the years of training for this. Most people cannot make this kind of transformation in a short amount of time unless they have a lot of years of training under their belt.
    Last edited by truthandlife; 07-03-2011 at 10:42 AM.
    What benefit will it be to you
    if you gain the whole world
    but lose your own soul?

(Mark 8:36)

JohnnyP122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    muscle memory has to be real cause are mind through experience learns how to cope and adapt to its environment and learns performed actions over experience also. and how we learn is through muscle/mind connections. take a gymnast for example. they exercise for a good 6 hours a day and get 10 plus hours of sleep. reason we need sleep is not just cause of muscle repair but because our brains go over what we did throughout the day a strengthen the connections we made. also by means of bone density and metabolism and water retention i think if your body has been there and done that it will cope much faster

ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I do not believe muscle has memories but I do believe the fascial sheaths that have been stretched before are more readily capable of being stretched to previous experienced outward limits.

cpatel23 is just really nice. (+1000) cpatel23 is just really nice. (+1000) cpatel23 is just really nice. (+1000) cpatel23 is just really nice. (+1000) cpatel23 is just really nice. (+1000) cpatel23 is just really nice. (+1000) cpatel23 is just really nice. (+1000) cpatel23 is just really nice. (+1000) cpatel23 is just really nice. (+1000) cpatel23 is just really nice. (+1000) cpatel23 is just really nice. (+1000)
    nice forearms

Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ArchAngel'73 View Post
    I do not believe muscle has memories but I do believe the fascial sheaths that have been stretched before are more readily capable of being stretched to previous experienced outward limits.
    I don't think anyone in this thread who claims to believe in "muscle memory" believes that muscles have memory. "Muscle memory" is simply a label, a name which we give to the phemomenon - in which when muscles undergo permanent (or at least long term) structural changes from hypertrophy they retain those changes even after they have atrophied and this primes them for more rapid hypertorphy next time. These long term structural changes include what you mention - stretched fascial sheeths but also increased numbers of myonuclei.

Note that in materials physics they use terms like shape memory alloy, smart metal, memory metal, without literally attributing powers of thought to metal, its the same with the term "muscle memory" for muscles.

Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Reality_Check View Post
    I don't think anyone in this thread who claims to believe in "muscle memory" believes that muscles have memory. "Muscle memory" is simply a label, a name which we give to the phemomenon - in which when muscles undergo permanent (or at least long term) structural changes from hypertrophy they retain those changes even after they have atrophied and this primes them for more rapid hypertorphy next time. These long term structural changes include what you mention - stretched fascial sheeths but also increased numbers of myonuclei.

Note that in materials physics they use terms like shape memory alloy, smart metal, memory metal, without literally attributing powers of thought to metal, its the same with the term "muscle memory" for muscles.
    ^^ This. I took 10 years off from lifting. When I came back to it, I had attained in about 4-5 months what had taken me 3-4 years to build previously (in terms of strength).
    It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by truthandlife View Post
    ... I hope you are "natural" and it actually looks like you are.....
    I don't have a dog in this fight, but I am curious as to why you hold this opinion. Why do you "hope" an internet stranger hasn't used PEDs? I'm also curious as to how you can judge "naturalness" by photographs?

As for the topic at hand, I agree with Brian:
    Originally Posted by ArchAngel'73 View Post
    I also believe that the myonuclei manufactured in response to hypertrophy training do not just disappear when the muscle tissue is catabolized from atrophy. I believe they are "refilled" when hypertrophic training recommences.

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2010/08/02/0913935107

christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I don't have the slightest doubt that what we call "muscle memory" exists.
    I've been involved in many sports in the past, on and off, and any gains I made in muscularity and lost during the off years I regained within a couple of months with ease.
    Specific muscles that I had trained a s a youngster through sports or at home for fun and were my pride and joy, exploded back to their old self as soon as they got near a weight.
    It's not "bro science", it's how it works.
    The body will not go over the same adaptation process twice.
    It deliberately atrophies muscles that are not worked because it doesn't want to go through the pain of maintaining them if they are of no use.
    The moment you find yourself in some sort of "danger" the body is familiar with from the past, it quickly returns to it's known state.

induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by IronCharles View Post
    .......Why do you "hope" an internet stranger hasn't used PEDs? I'm also curious as to how you can judge "naturalness" by photographs?
    I cant answer the first part because I did not make the statement.....Maybe because some come on here looking for attainable goals and inspiration in reaching them.

As for the second part....although there is no exact science, you can tell a whole lot from pictures. Enhanced trainees have a different look. They get different muscle development where just about everything gets big even muscles that are not often trained....neck as one example. There are also muscles in the body that respond differently to enhancement and those develop quite a bit which you generally dont see in natural trainees.

Here is an excerpt from Kelly Baggett explaining better:

What's also interesting is that the muscle generated from training and the muscle generated from anabolic hormones is somewhat different. Certain muscles groups have a greater preponderance of testosterone receptors and tend to develop disproportionately in men vs women or men on steroids vs natural trainees. These muscle groups include the neck and shoulders.

Additionally, a muscle will generally hypertrophy according to where the mechanical strain is highest (towards the muscle-tendon junction). Using anabolics or pubertal muscle growth will cause a more general hypertrophy however as the mechanism isn't 100% dependent on mechanical strain

If you take a close look at someone who has trained naturally a long time they will often look like a collection of bodyparts probably due in part to this difference. The traps, necks, and deltoids will often appear disproportionately underdeveloped then the quads, chest, etc.
    RAW lifts

truthandlife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) truthandlife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) truthandlife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) truthandlife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) truthandlife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) truthandlife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) truthandlife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) truthandlife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) truthandlife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) truthandlife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) truthandlife is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by IronCharles View Post
    I don't have a dog in this fight, but I am curious as to why you hold this opinion. Why do you "hope" an internet stranger hasn't used PEDs? I'm also curious as to how you can judge "naturalness" by photographs?
    I am not trying to judge "naturalness." I just think it would be even more impressive if this transformation was all natural with no PED's....

It would inspire a lot of people if it was all natural (w/o PEDs). If PED's are involved then I wouldn't ask how he did it because I personally don't think that is an impressive feat.
    What benefit will it be to you
    if you gain the whole world
    but lose your own soul?

(Mark 8:36)

Kreigschwein is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kreigschwein is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kreigschwein is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kreigschwein is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kreigschwein is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kreigschwein is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kreigschwein is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kreigschwein is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kreigschwein is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kreigschwein is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kreigschwein is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Sports science has an episode confirming muscle memory. Made a basketball player shoot blind folded to see if he can still make his shots. he made 10/10 shots because of muscle memory.
    6'4 240 lbs
    Dominican/Israeli/Palestinian bred
    Wrestling/Muay Thai/BJJ
    Rugby
    B.S. Exercise Science

CT

IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz
    If PED's are involved then I wouldn't ask how he did it because I personally don't think that is an impressive feat.
    Well, the gentleman stated in an earlier post (which has since been deleted) that he was currently using assistance. So now you're not impressed? And you also said it looked like he was "natural", so I guess you're not really a good judge of that sort of thing, are you?

Oh, and by the way, your own personal transformation is very impressive to me. However, I will not judge you by how you may, or may not have achieved it. It takes hard work to lean out and put on mass. Regardless of your methods.
    ★DSC★
    ★MISC Cologne Crew★
    ★4200 cals a day crew★
    ★Squat Booty Sorority Fan Club★
    ★Forum Member #109,914,313★

► ► ►Dirty South Crew gear: https://www.zazzle.com/s/thedirtysouthlifts ◄ ◄ ◄ (Proceeds go to children's charities)

If PED's are involved then I wouldn't ask how he did it because I personally don't think that is an impressive feat.
    I have to say that I agree with the above. With the use of certain "supplements" the build and maintain lean muscle balance is really tilted one way. I have seen what this stuff can help others do and in very short periods of time....so I am not all that "impressed" by it.

Now that does not mean that I am against them doing it....heck it is their body and they can do what they want....but as a lifetime natural lifter, I simply can not hope to emulate those type results...so I dont even consider them as legitimate.

In my 20's I struggled as one by one, many of my lifting buddies started "supplementing". They all puffed up huge....and I stayed where I was at....gaining almost nothing. I think I was close to my genetic potential at 195lb @9-10% at 5'9".

In the end, I am glad I made the decision to stay natural. I do not look down on people who dont....I just dont even consider their gains. I think comparing one's self to others accomplishments is a healthy way of motivation. Comparing one's self to altered trainees will not yield much in the way of realistic goals and will only serve as frustration. I can remember a few years back this topic came up with OldSuperman....
    RAW lifts

stillfit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stillfit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stillfit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stillfit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stillfit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stillfit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stillfit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stillfit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stillfit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stillfit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stillfit has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Want to let you all know I also stated that no "suppliments" were used in any of those photos that were posted on this thread. So don't get off track.

Originally Posted by stillfit View Post
    Want to let you all know I also stated that no "suppliments" were used in any of those photos that were posted on this thread. So don't get off track.
    No doubt! I remember you saying that earlier. I dont know what is more impressive...that or that you did it on a bowflex!

Awesome job and fantastic conditioning. To you maintain body comp more through diet alone or is there a lot of cardio in your routine?
    RAW lifts

bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20713720

Abstract: Effects of previous strength training can be long-lived, even after prolonged subsequent inactivity, and retraining is facilitated by a previous training episode. Traditionally, such "muscle memory" has been attributed to neural factors in the absence of any identified local memory mechanism in the muscle tissue. We have used in vivo imaging techniques to study live myonuclei belonging to distinct muscle fibers and observe that new myonuclei are added before any major increase in size during overload. The old and newly acquired nuclei are retained during severe atrophy caused by subsequent denervation lasting for a considerable period of the animal's lifespan.
    My 9 month transformation video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPuZ3z0dKmQ

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I wonder if part of "MM" isn't just the trainee "knowing" what works for them, thus cutting out that awkward period (of several years for some) of finding what works for you.

Just a guess
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

Where's my flip flops ? jayluk4600's Avatar
    jayluk4600 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jayluk4600 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jayluk4600 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jayluk4600 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jayluk4600 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jayluk4600 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jayluk4600 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jayluk4600 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jayluk4600 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jayluk4600 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jayluk4600 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I believe in it. I had one lay off over the last 23 years and it was roughly 2 yr layoff. Without going into too much detail lets just say I drank myself into the gutter and bascially much lived on the street. It was not a pretty sight lol.

Anyhow when I returned to the gym it didnt take me but I would say 3 months to get right back and beyond where I was strength wise. 2 years isn't the longest layoff but its still a period of time in where I abused the living funk out of my body.

Its real.

stillfit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stillfit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stillfit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stillfit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stillfit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stillfit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stillfit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stillfit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stillfit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stillfit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stillfit has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Brackneyc View Post
    I wonder if part of "MM" isn't just the trainee "knowing" what works for them, thus cutting out that awkward period (of several years for some) of finding what works for you.

Just a guess
    I am sure this is also a factor.

christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    What's your opinion on the work you do in the gym while dieting?
    After spending 3 months last year dieting down, I've decided I would not cut again in the following years and so I haven't this year, I don't want to waste any lifting time in the gym.
    But does it really go to waste?
    I mean not in terms of maintaining as much muscle as possible, you need to train.
    I sure lost strength while dieting but very easily hit new PRs once I started eating again.
    So while I was training and losing strength, perhaps somehow I was making gains!
    I'm curious if the body is registering the training and once you give it the fuel it responds quicker than it would normally do.
    So if I were to diet down again and start losing some strength for another 3 months, would I go back to were I was once I start eating or perhaps find that I'm actually even stronger?
    Not sure if you're following me here.
    I understand that we're talking about a small period of time here, just a few months so I guess people will have to think back to their first years of training to answer this one way or another.
    Year after year gains slow down.
    Do not want to hijack the thread, I think, if it were true, we'd be talking the same mechanism here probably.

Originally Posted by christos_swc View Post
    What's your opinion on the work you do in the gym while dieting?
    After spending 3 months last year dieting down, I've decided I would not cut again in the following years and so I haven't this year, I don't want to waste any lifting time in the gym.
    But does it really go to waste?
    I mean not in terms of maintaining as much muscle as possible, you need to train.
    I sure lost strength while dieting but very easily hit new PRs once I started eating again.
    So while I was training and losing strength, perhaps somehow I was making gains!
    I'm curious if the body is registering the training and once you give it the fuel it responds quicker than it would normally do.
    So if I were to diet down again and start losing some strength for another 3 months, would I go back to were I was once I start eating or perhaps find that I'm actually even stronger?
    Not sure if you're following me here.
    I understand that we're talking about a small period of time here, just a few months so I guess people will have to think back to their first years of training to answer this one way or another.
    Year after year gains slow down.
    Do not want to hijack the thread, I think, if it were true, we'd be talking the same mechanism here probably.
    When I diet down I don't change my workouts other than dropping one set from each exercise because of reduced cal intake. I train as heavy as possible so don't notice a big drop in strength. The slight drop seems to be beneficial for those aches and pains from bulking and pushing harder to heal for the next round. But true the strength comes back quick due to a cal surplus.

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    To the original question - I sure as hell hope so. If I can even get back to 75% with my shoulder I intend to capitalize on 20 years of accumulated "memories." I have no anecdotal experience to date with muscle memory. I've never taken an extended break my entire adult life (greater than 12 days).
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX