gopackgo74 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gopackgo74 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gopackgo74 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gopackgo74 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gopackgo74 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gopackgo74 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gopackgo74 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gopackgo74 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gopackgo74 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gopackgo74 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gopackgo74 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Agree with what my trainer said?

im on a mass gain program. Right now im doing 5x5 then 3-9 on isolation.
    I pick about 3-4 exercises per muscle group
    My split is chesttriiep/ BackBiceps/ Lats shoulders/ Core Legs

You are doing way too many exercises in your workouts. You shouldn't be lifting for more than 1 hour at a time. You just don't have enough calories to burn in workouts that go longer than that unless you eat during your work outs. What I would do is change your rep range to reps of 12-15 for the next 6 weeks. You should pick 5 exercises for legs and do 4-5 sets on each exercise. Chest pick 3 and do 4 sets, shoulders pick 3, traps pick 1 and tri's 2 exercises. Back pick 4 exercises and 2 for bi's. Lift hard. If you are lifting too long at a time you just won't have good results. Trust me do this for the next 6 weeks. After 6 weeks come talk to me. Make sure you are eating right too.

Palermo1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Palermo1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Palermo1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Palermo1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Palermo1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Palermo1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Palermo1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Palermo1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Palermo1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Palermo1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Palermo1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by gopackgo74 View Post
    im on a mass gain program. Right now im doing 5x5 then 3-9 on isolation.
    I pick about 3-4 exercises per muscle group
    My split is chesttriiep/ BackBiceps/ Lats shoulders/ Core Legs

You are doing way too many exercises in your workouts. You shouldn't be lifting for more than 1 hour at a time. You just don't have enough calories to burn in workouts that go longer than that unless you eat during your work outs. What I would do is change your rep range to reps of 12-15 for the next 6 weeks. You should pick 5 exercises for legs and do 4-5 sets on each exercise. Chest pick 3 and do 4 sets, shoulders pick 3, traps pick 1 and tri's 2 exercises. Back pick 4 exercises and 2 for bi's. Lift hard. If you are lifting too long at a time you just won't have good results. Trust me do this for the next 6 weeks. After 6 weeks come talk to me. Make sure you are eating right too.
    I agree on a lot of what he said. Some things he said that I would change/have a different opinion on is:
    Instead of doing 12-15 reps I would go to 6-8 reps on compounds movements, 8-10 reps on isolation movements, 10-12 reps on shaping lifts.
    I would also not be doing 5 sets on each exercise like he says. I would stick between the 3-4 set range.

fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Palermo1 View Post
    I agree on a lot of what he said. Some things he said that I would change/have a different opinion on is:
    Instead of doing 12-15 reps I would go to 6-8 reps on compounds movements, 8-10 reps on isolation movements, 10-12 reps on shaping lifts.
    I would also not be doing 5 sets on each exercise like he says. I would stick between the 3-4 set range.
    Yup...

Mass building often dictates less reps 6 minimum 12 max with weights that take you to failure or near it without spotter. The split seems OK with the body parts. Keep it to basic strength moves for each major muscle group, but you gotta work hard. Being in the gym doing 5+ sets for an hour or more is not what I'd recommend. Some people live in the gym, but 1 hr max for me. Diminished returns in gains, in my opinion, once the muscle is fully taxed...which you can accomplish in 3-4 sets, lower rep range, moving some weight...give it all you got for those reps. Most pro lifters keep it simple and focus on moving heavy weight, basic movements - rest, feed, repeat.
    AFAA Personal Fitness Trainer

Specialize in Sports Related Fitness and Weight Training
    Collegiate Athlete

dirtydozen614 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dirtydozen614 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dirtydozen614 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dirtydozen614 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dirtydozen614 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dirtydozen614 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dirtydozen614 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dirtydozen614 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dirtydozen614 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dirtydozen614 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dirtydozen614 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    I've found some respond better to volume than others. If a person can handle 5x5 for each body part, go to it. I've known people who do german volume training and those who only do 3-4 sets per body part and had excellent results. It comes down to intensity of the workout and your diet.

I disagree on the rep range of 12-15 though, as that is more endurance based. 8-10 is a better ranged, perhaps going as low as 6.

ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think 1hr to 1hr 15min max time in gym so I agree there, but not for reason given.

12-15 is usually for endurance as others stated. 6-10 is best for hypertrophy.
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the ILLUSION of knowlegde! - Stephen Hawking

Tampa, FL
    NSCA CSCS, BS
    twitter @maxwellob