YOU are your maker smttysmth02gt's Avatar
    smttysmth02gt is on a distinguished road. (+10) smttysmth02gt is on a distinguished road. (+10) smttysmth02gt is on a distinguished road. (+10) smttysmth02gt is on a distinguished road. (+10) smttysmth02gt is on a distinguished road. (+10) smttysmth02gt is on a distinguished road. (+10) smttysmth02gt is on a distinguished road. (+10) smttysmth02gt is on a distinguished road. (+10) smttysmth02gt is on a distinguished road. (+10) smttysmth02gt is on a distinguished road. (+10) smttysmth02gt is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Advice on possible supps for my father...

My dad works in a steel plant and has been super tired and in pain lately. His work isn't really "intense" (although he says there are days with a lot of heavy lifting) I guess but working for 12 hours a day turning wrenches and walking up and down stairs and what not has been taking a toll on him. Is there anything out there that may benefit him? I was thinking about mixing some of the ingredients from my own preworkout and having him take them at mid day for a boost to see if that would help him out any (just caffeine, citrulline malate, beta alanine).

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by smttysmth02gt; 03-24-2011 at 03:00 PM.

Original Neanderthal theapexxxx's Avatar
    theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by smttysmth02gt View Post
    My dad works in a steel plant and has been super tired and in pain lately. His work isn't really "intense" (although he says there are days with a lot of heavy lifting) I guess but working for 12 hours a day turning wrenches and talking up and down stairs and what not has been taking a toll on him. Is there anything out there that may benefit him? I was thinking about mixing some of the ingredients from my own preworkout and having him take them at mid day for a boost to see if that would help him out any (just caffeine, citrulline malate, beta alanine).

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.
    A multi to start is always good.
    Bring him to the gym. Get him working out. It will help his muscles adapt to heavy lifting, and recovery. As well as give hime more energy throughout the day.
    Don't start relying on caffeine because the body gets used to it too fast.

ajerone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajerone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajerone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajerone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajerone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajerone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajerone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajerone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajerone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajerone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajerone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you try to supplement with stimulants over a 12 hour period, your going to have to take multiple doses for sure. If he can do it naturally, its the best way to go. Maybe some BCAAs to keep endurance up during shift. Maybe a multivitamin, fish oil for general good health, and potentially a joint supplement. I would steer clear of stimulants, however. Just me.

Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    talking up and down stairs.
    Sounds exhausting...

Caffeine pills aren't a bad idea. A more nutrient rich diet, and multi vitamin would help.

Getting 8hrs of sleep will help too.

INSERT_NAME will become famous soon enough. (+50) INSERT_NAME will become famous soon enough. (+50) INSERT_NAME will become famous soon enough. (+50) INSERT_NAME will become famous soon enough. (+50) INSERT_NAME will become famous soon enough. (+50) INSERT_NAME will become famous soon enough. (+50) INSERT_NAME will become famous soon enough. (+50) INSERT_NAME will become famous soon enough. (+50) INSERT_NAME will become famous soon enough. (+50) INSERT_NAME will become famous soon enough. (+50) INSERT_NAME will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey man, if he works in a steel plant before starting anything he should see a doctor. For all he knows, or you, his systems filled with steel particles.

smttysmth02gt is on a distinguished road. (+10) smttysmth02gt is on a distinguished road. (+10) smttysmth02gt is on a distinguished road. (+10) smttysmth02gt is on a distinguished road. (+10) smttysmth02gt is on a distinguished road. (+10) smttysmth02gt is on a distinguished road. (+10) smttysmth02gt is on a distinguished road. (+10) smttysmth02gt is on a distinguished road. (+10) smttysmth02gt is on a distinguished road. (+10) smttysmth02gt is on a distinguished road. (+10) smttysmth02gt is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the suggestions so far.

He usually works 12 hour days and 6 days a week...sometimes 7. The gym isn't an option, as his work is already intense enough that I would classify it as a workout in itself. I've talked to him about changes in his diet that need to be made. He drinks coffee in the morning to get going just as I do. That being said, that's why I thought maybe a boost at mid day would be a good idea since a lot of us take pre workouts that have stims in them to give us a boost prior to working out.

As far as the multi goes...I've had discussions with people on here in the past, and I'm personally not convinced that a multi would help anyone in any significant way, but that's another discussion for another time (btw, he already takes a multi). At any rate, thanks for the suggestion.

Originally Posted by INSERT_NAME View Post
    Hey man, if he works in a steel plant before starting anything he should see a doctor. For all he knows, or you, his systems filled with steel particles.
    Yeah he just went to the dr. recently and had some tests done and what not. No contamination or anything like that going on.

Originally Posted by Shermanatorx View Post
    Sounds exhausting...

Caffeine pills aren't a bad idea. A more nutrient rich diet, and multi vitamin would help.

Getting 8hrs of sleep will help too.
    LOL. Typo fixed.

robertmm94 is just really nice. (+1000) robertmm94 is just really nice. (+1000) robertmm94 is just really nice. (+1000) robertmm94 is just really nice. (+1000) robertmm94 is just really nice. (+1000) robertmm94 is just really nice. (+1000) robertmm94 is just really nice. (+1000) robertmm94 is just really nice. (+1000) robertmm94 is just really nice. (+1000) robertmm94 is just really nice. (+1000) robertmm94 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Standard:
    Multi

Energy :
    Sufficient b-vitamins
    Possibly caffeine however I wouldn't recommend it as I'm sure he will become somewhat dependent on it in due time in order to do his job

Endurance-
    Beta-alanine
    Cordyceps

General health and immune boost
    Gram or so a vitamin c(will also somewhat help with collogen rebuilding from years of hard work)
    Curcumin
    Possibly some adaptogens (ash. And rhodila)

eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If he is already a coffee drinker, it is quite likely that he is not getting enough quality deep sleep. You could look at replacing his current multi with something like this for a month - http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/fut/stressassist.html - as it could help him adapt to the stresses of work.

I'd avoid pre-workout supps. For general health, a quality fish oil wouldn't hurt either.

robertmm94 is just really nice. (+1000) robertmm94 is just really nice. (+1000) robertmm94 is just really nice. (+1000) robertmm94 is just really nice. (+1000) robertmm94 is just really nice. (+1000) robertmm94 is just really nice. (+1000) robertmm94 is just really nice. (+1000) robertmm94 is just really nice. (+1000) robertmm94 is just really nice. (+1000) robertmm94 is just really nice. (+1000) robertmm94 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by eldawg View Post
    If he is already a coffee drinker, it is quite likely that he is not getting enough quality deep sleep. You could look at replacing his current multi with something like this for a month - http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/fut/stressassist.html - as it could help him adapt to the stresses of work.

I'd avoid pre-workout supps. For general health, a quality fish oil wouldn't hurt either.
    forgot bout that one

What ingredients in that are any different than any other multi? Also how do they help with physical stress (bodily)? The description sounds like it's more marketed to an office worker with mental stress.

What ingredients in that are any different than any other multi? Also how do they help with physical stress (bodily)? The description sounds like it's more marketed to an office worker with mental stress.
    not much except for adaptogen complex and Theanine to hopefully help with mental and physical stress along with anxiety.
    Nothing special but has decent ingriendients and is very low price. Cant hurt.

poison has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) poison has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) poison has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) poison has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) poison has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) poison has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) poison has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) poison has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) poison has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) poison has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) poison has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    In pain? What kind of pain, just wear and tear getting-old achiness?

I'd say fish oil, green tea/egcg/curcumin, as those are awesome for health and aging, as well as anti-inflammatory effects.

Adding 2gr creatine a day might help, and he could try rhodiola for 4-8 weeks (need to cycle off after 6-8 weeks, iirc). All of that would cost $15-20 a month or less. Also, since he's probably a meat and potatoes guy (old school manual labor guy), a greens supp could help, like Oximega or Mycogreen.
    ~ Roast Master, Resident Coffee Warlock~
    www.westcoastroasting.com
    -- Use 'MISC' for a discount! --

Disclaimer: sit there and let it bleed.

Registered Cinephile HydroShake's Avatar
    HydroShake is just really nice. (+1000) HydroShake is just really nice. (+1000) HydroShake is just really nice. (+1000) HydroShake is just really nice. (+1000) HydroShake is just really nice. (+1000) HydroShake is just really nice. (+1000) HydroShake is just really nice. (+1000) HydroShake is just really nice. (+1000) HydroShake is just really nice. (+1000) HydroShake is just really nice. (+1000) HydroShake is just really nice. (+1000)
    make him eat more food.

carbs protein fats
    whatever from natural food sources. preferably a lot of meat and veggies.

when people get old, their appetites diminish.
    my dad is like that too. i'd be surprised if he gets in even 1500 calories a day and he works 12 hours shifts too, not as intense as your dad's job but he's still moving around the whole time.

i agree with the poster who said fish oil, and egcg
    maybe add some CoQ10

or get him on testosterone replacement therapy.
    some androgel or something.
    "If I hit my mom back I'd be dead" - Ronnie Coleman

R.I.P.
    Michael Jackson "King of Pop"
    Whitney Houston "GOAT"
    Donna Summer "Queen of Disco"
    Luther Vandross "The Real R&B King"

eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The theanine, ashwaghanda and rhodiola are the keys and should help him cope with stress (physical and mental). A lot of it also comes down to trying out a few things.

Does he take a multi today?

The theanine, ashwaghanda and rhodiola are the keys and should help him cope with stress (physical and mental). A lot of it also comes down to trying out a few things.

Does he take a multi today?
    lol look at my posttt

UNCnate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UNCnate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UNCnate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UNCnate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UNCnate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UNCnate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UNCnate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UNCnate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UNCnate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UNCnate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UNCnate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by robertmm94 View Post
    Standard:
    Multi

Energy :
    Sufficient b-vitamins
    Possibly caffeine however I wouldn't recommend it as I'm sure he will become somewhat dependent on it in due time in order to do his job

Endurance-
    Beta-alanine
    Cordyceps

General health and immune boost
    Gram or so a vitamin c(will also somewhat help with collogen rebuilding from years of hard work)
    Curcumin
    Possibly some adaptogens (ash. And rhodila)
    Not a bad post right here. Agreed.

This and I would imagine his diet isn't great either. Work on that with him.
    UNCnate@gmail.com, B.Sc, ASCM CPT

nni has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nni has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nni has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nni has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nni has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nni has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nni has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nni has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nni has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nni has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nni has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    probably better meals would have a significant impact, but a joint supplements should not be overlooked.
    www.placebro.net

This is a bandit's life, it comes and goes and thems the breaks.

Anna516 is just really nice. (+1000) Anna516 is just really nice. (+1000) Anna516 is just really nice. (+1000) Anna516 is just really nice. (+1000) Anna516 is just really nice. (+1000) Anna516 is just really nice. (+1000) Anna516 is just really nice. (+1000) Anna516 is just really nice. (+1000) Anna516 is just really nice. (+1000) Anna516 is just really nice. (+1000) Anna516 is just really nice. (+1000)
    def a joint supplement...orange triad, osterosport, animal flex...all good options