frosted1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

My Heart Rate is consistantly really high when

Hey, This is my first post here.

I am a male, 23 years old, 5 foot 7.5 inches. My waist at my belly button is 41 inches. 190 LBS. I used an electric body fat scale to measure my bodyfat and it is at ~26-27%, but I may be at a higher level.

Five days ago I went back on a calorie reduced diet. I eat 1300-1500 calories a day.

I also decided to hit my University's gym. I use the elliptical mostly (I find that I injure my Achilles Heel really easily on a treadmill). I do about 30 minutes a day and burn 175-250 calories a day so far.

The thing is my heart rate during these elliptical workouts is 170-185 throughout the whole workout. Is this healthy and will it help me loose weight efficiently? My maximum heart rate using the 220-age calculation is 197. My resting heart rate is around 70.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to maximize my weight loss during exercise? Also is it good to be at 80-90% of my max heart rate for 25-30 minutes at a time?

Thanks for the help.

coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Lol @ thinking the handgrip-heart rate moniters are accurate.

You want an accurate heart rate monitor... learn to feel your pulse, count, and watch a clock.

If you have a 41 inch waist, and your self-claimed BF is 27%.... you really think you're all that aerobically fit? (Not something degrading, I'm the worst at aerobics)

If it was really that high the entire time you think you could reasonably sustain it for 30 minutes?

I know, I know, I'm an ******* for using logic and/or common sense ... shoot me.

frosted1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by coals View Post
    Lol @ thinking the handgrip-heart rate moniters are accurate.

You want an accurate heart rate monitor... learn to feel your pulse, count, and watch a clock.

If you have a 41 inch waist, and your self-claimed BF is 27%.... you really think you're all that aerobically fit? (Not something degrading, I'm the worst at aerobics)

If it was really that high the entire time you think you could reasonably sustain it for 30 minutes?

I know, I know, I'm an ******* for using logic and/or common sense ... shoot me.
    Your probably right.

I was not aware that the handgrip heart rate monitors were wrong though.

Would you recommend any good personal heart rate monitors? As for my body fat%, that is what my scale says, but it could be wrong. My body shape is that I have little to no fat on my legs, arms, back, or upper chest, it is all pretty much on my stomach. I looked it up and I think it's called visceral fat.