pinksocks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Arrow confused re: building lower body mass

I've been reading up here & have found a lot of useful things. However, I am a little confused
    .. I am looking to build lower body mass, I'm pretty curvy as is (i've attached a photo) and the last thing I want to do is minimize my thighs and my butt (I do not want to wind up with a "tight, cute" butt) instead I want to drastically add mass - specifically to my butt.

However, at the same time I am putting in at least an hour on the treadmill @ an incline between 12 - 15 in tries of minimizing my stomache, lovehandles and arms (I am aware I cannot lose locational fat) so how do I go about thinning out my midriff while adding mass to my lower body? Is this even possible?

Thanks!
    Attached Images

born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I say do squats. I love what those and lunges do for my UU GL!
    ~ Christie ~
    Military vet, and working mama to a troop

Nutrition fanatic/ISSA CPT

"NEVER give up, NEVER stop, NEVER QUIT!!" " GET IT GIRL!"

Wennndy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wennndy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wennndy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wennndy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wennndy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wennndy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wennndy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wennndy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wennndy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wennndy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wennndy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How about Romanian deadlifts? Or weighted hip thrusts? If I wasn't scared of comments I'd upload my video of the 235-lb barbell hip lifts I did last week. Basically, it's bridge done explosively with a bb across your hips.

Some studies suggest stretching your quads (or even working your quads) before doing hammie/glute exercises so they will be prefatigued and therefore your targeted muscles will pick up more of the work. Sometimes I do this, sometimes I don't.
    Plan your work, work your plan
    in Stealth mode .... preparing to shock and awe!

Originally Posted by born2dothis View Post
    I say do squats. I love what those and lunges do for my UU GL!
    hey, thanks - i do squats, a few sets of weight-free and then about 2 sets of 8 with heavy weights, among a few other exercises. my main concern is a post I read:

Originally Posted by justagirl
    if you have fat on your thighs and glutes now, then adding muscle won't make you look defined or muscular, it will increase the size. which is what you want. if you don't want excess fat all over your body, i would suggest doing heavy weights and eating on a calorie surplus that would allow you to gain 0.5 lbs a week.

so how do you achieve the above while minimizing the midriff area?

Wennndy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wennndy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wennndy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wennndy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wennndy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wennndy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wennndy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wennndy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wennndy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wennndy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wennndy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    But you want to lose fat, right? Not gain size? You can't do both. In order to lose size (fat) on your midriff you will need to engage in some calorie restriction -- cutting back on what you eat. And definitely continue working your legs/glutes, in order to change their shape.

Originally Posted by Wennndy View Post
    How about Romanian deadlifts? Or weighted hip thrusts? If I wasn't scared of comments I'd upload my video of the 235-lb barbell hip lifts I did last week. Basically, it's bridge done explosively with a bb across your hips.

Some studies suggest stretching your quads (or even working your quads) before doing hammie/glute exercises so they will be prefatigued and therefore your targeted muscles will pick up more of the work. Sometimes I do this, sometimes I don't.

Thanks, I'll youtube these for best form

But you want to lose fat, right? Not gain size? You can't do both. In order to lose size (fat) on your midriff you will need to engage in some calorie restriction -- cutting back on what you eat. And definitely continue working your legs/glutes, in order to change their shape.

Thankfully, I eat pretty healthy - just been cutting down the portions & number of meals. I can see my midriff slowly becoming thinner but at the same time, I would hate to lose the curviness of my lower body

Here are my barbell hip thrusts. I have back issues so I do them more like a bridge. Don't start this heavy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v58fYCI_yOc

Here are my barbell hip thrusts. I have back issues so I do them more like a bridge. Don't start this heavy.
    Thanks for posting this!