Closed Thread
Page 131 of 148 FirstFirst ... 31 81 121 129 130 131 132 133 141 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,930 of 4423
    fabiosse222 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great tips that I also used when I was trying to get in shape. If you are struggling to lose weight and burn off that excess fat,

By following all the program's advice on nutrition, training and recovery to the letter I lost 25lbs of fat and put on 15lbs of pure muscle. I love it when people that I haven't seen for ages, barely even recognize me.

weight loss is all about long-term healthy lifestyle changes - there are no shortcuts! I can't preach it enough and it is what has helped me keep the weight I've lost off!

laurajones907 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My head is spinning, I have worked out how much protein I should be having (lean mass etc) but I cannot for the life of me find out how many calories I should consume. I did various BMR calculations and they each vary between 1430-1480, but now I have that info I have no idea how I use it to determine my daily calorie needs. Please help me!

i3oosted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) i3oosted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) i3oosted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) i3oosted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) i3oosted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) i3oosted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) i3oosted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) i3oosted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) i3oosted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) i3oosted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) i3oosted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    wave_length, I just want to say thanks for changing my life. I've always been in and out of the gym and in relatively in good shape. Then came a long term relationship, let everything go, and became chubby/obese. Relationship over and back to square one, I just wanted to have a flat stomach and look good in a t-shirt. Being 5'7" and 210lbs, fatest I've ever been, with hypertension, I told myself I wouldn't let myself be one of those people content with an out of shape body with health problems.

Came across your post and the simplicity is why I stuck with it. When you keep it simple, you keep to it. I can't say I'm counting my macros/calories, I just try and eat as clean as I can when hungry, splurge every once in awhile, and lift with the enthusiasm as if it's my last time in the gym. My current maxes are all my personal bests from my entire life.

I'm now 173lbs in the mid teens bf%, have the beginning of a 6 pack, a gorgeous new gf with plenty of attention from others. My blood pressure is under control now without meds, my sleeping pattern became rock solid(this to me is the best thing out of everything as I suffered from sleep disorders badly since I was a kid), enough energy to climb Everest, and... just back to being happy with myself. I've gotten 3 others to join a gym and to better themselves.

All this in 4 months, thanks to your workout routine, tips and tricks, and "KISS'ing" it- no homo.

I registered to tell you, thank you.

rudraraavan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks Idrive

I am now down to 34 inches from 37.5 inches in 57 days.

in a world built on rules iDrive's Avatar
    iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by fabiosse222 View Post
    Great tips that I also used when I was trying to get in shape. If you are struggling to lose weight and burn off that excess fat,

By following all the program's advice on nutrition, training and recovery to the letter I lost 25lbs of fat and put on 15lbs of pure muscle. I love it when people that I haven't seen for ages, barely even recognize me.

weight loss is all about long-term healthy lifestyle changes - there are no shortcuts! I can't preach it enough and it is what has helped me keep the weight I've lost off!
    Great job!

Originally Posted by laurajones907 View Post
    My head is spinning, I have worked out how much protein I should be having (lean mass etc) but I cannot for the life of me find out how many calories I should consume. I did various BMR calculations and they each vary between 1430-1480, but now I have that info I have no idea how I use it to determine my daily calorie needs. Please help me!
    Generally for maintenance 14-16cal/BW and fat loss 10-12cal/BW is a good number to start with. Reading.

If you're 148 then do 148*10 = 1,480. As per rule 3, start with that and stick with it for at least 3-4 weeks then adjust based on your own rate of fat loss and goals. Use at least 2 different measures, not just the scale (e.x. Pictures, measuring tape, calipers, etc.)

Originally Posted by i3oosted View Post
    wave_length, I just want to say thanks for changing my life. I've always been in and out of the gym and in relatively in good shape. Then came a long term relationship, let everything go, and became chubby/obese. Relationship over and back to square one, I just wanted to have a flat stomach and look good in a t-shirt. Being 5'7" and 210lbs, fatest I've ever been, with hypertension, I told myself I wouldn't let myself be one of those people content with an out of shape body with health problems.

Came across your post and the simplicity is why I stuck with it. When you keep it simple, you keep to it. I can't say I'm counting my macros/calories, I just try and eat as clean as I can when hungry, splurge every once in awhile, and lift with the enthusiasm as if it's my last time in the gym. My current maxes are all my personal bests from my entire life.

I'm now 173lbs in the mid teens bf%, have the beginning of a 6 pack, a gorgeous new gf with plenty of attention from others. My blood pressure is under control now without meds, my sleeping pattern became rock solid(this to me is the best thing out of everything as I suffered from sleep disorders badly since I was a kid), enough energy to climb Everest, and... just back to being happy with myself. I've gotten 3 others to join a gym and to better themselves.

All this in 4 months, thanks to your workout routine, tips and tricks, and "KISS'ing" it- no homo.

I registered to tell you, thank you.
    That's awesome!

Originally Posted by rudraraavan View Post
    Thanks Idrive

I am now down to 34 inches from 37.5 inches in 57 days.
    No problem, keep it up
    You don't try to build a wall.
    You don't set out to build a wall.
    You don't say, "I'm going to build the biggest, baddest, greatest wall that's ever been built!".
    You don't start there.

You say, "I'm going to lay this brick as perfectly as a brick can be laid.".
    You do that every single day, and soon you'll have a wall.

FallenAngel907 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My daily calorie limit is 1480, I have worked out how many grams of protein my body needs but I require some help with my remaining calories. If I were to eat 509 cals in protein (tomorrows planned protein adds up to this), how many of my remaining 971 cals should I use on carbs etc? I have a lot of body fat to get rid of (i'm about 40%) and I am trying to lift (to fail) 3 times a week and do cardio 4 times a week, I know I need carbs to help my lifting but I worry that I could eat too many whilst trying to shred fat. My ultimate goal is to get to around 14%

KingFume has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I got two questions, Can I strictly only use Kettle Bells and body weight for my weight training, and if using this method how can it impact my results? It's because I don't have access to anything else currently. Also, I weigh 210 LBS, My body fat % is around 28%, that equals to 151.2 of lean body mass, how much protein should I consume? "Eat at least 1g protein / lb of lean body mass a day" Does that make it 151 Grams of protein a day? That seems high.
    Last edited by KingFume; 01-25-2015 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Edit

iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by FallenAngel907 View Post
    My daily calorie limit is 1480, I have worked out how many grams of protein my body needs but I require some help with my remaining calories. If I were to eat 509 cals in protein (tomorrows planned protein adds up to this), how many of my remaining 971 cals should I use on carbs etc?
    It's irrelevant for fat loss

I have a lot of body fat to get rid of (i'm about 40%) and I am trying to lift (to fail) 3 times a week and do cardio 4 times a week, I know I need carbs to help my lifting but I worry that I could eat too many whilst trying to shred fat. My ultimate goal is to get to around 14%
    "too many" carbs isn't really possible as long as you're still within your calorie goals for the day.

Brad says it better than I could here Why Carbs Make Us Fat

TBH if you're 40% BF you're not really focusing on the big picture, re-read the 3 rules, take a breath and relax.

Originally Posted by KingFume View Post
    I got two questions, Can I strictly only use Kettle Bells and body weight for my weight training,
    Yes

and if using this method how can it impact my results?
    No as long as you're always pushing yourself. It's about effort, if a 25lb kettle bell is heavy now and it's not heavy in 2 months then you need to adjust something (weight/reps/sets) until you're exerting the same or more effort. Search for 'progressive overload'.

Also, I weigh 210 LBS, My body fat % is around 28%, that equals to 151.2 of lean body mass, how much protein should I consume? "Eat at least 1g protein / lb of lean body mass a day" Does that make it 151 Grams of protein a day? That seems high.
    Yes, you're correct in your calculation. You can do less if you want but that is the recommendation for preserving lean body mass which becomes more important the lower in bodyfat you become. I'd read the carb link I posted above for why more protein generally is better when dieting.
    You don't say, "I'm going to build the biggest, baddest, greatest wall that's ever been built!".
    You don't start there.

mandykent111 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am just getting started (3 weeks in) and have been eating well and working out 3-4 days a week and have literally not lost a single pound. I decided to take measurements last week to see if there are any changes, and will be measuring myself tomorrow to see if anything changed in one week. I am pretty disappointed that nothing seems to have changed. Help!

phil52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When eating one meal a day how often should I take protein ?

Originally Posted by mandykent111 View Post
    I am just getting started (3 weeks in) and have been eating well and working out 3-4 days a week and have literally not lost a single pound. I decided to take measurements last week to see if there are any changes, and will be measuring myself tomorrow to see if anything changed in one week. I am pretty disappointed that nothing seems to have changed. Help!
    Try eating less, too. Are you tracking intake?

Originally Posted by phil52 View Post
    When eating one meal a day how often should I take protein ?
    Once...?
    You don't start there.

Hadzikic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hadzikic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hadzikic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hadzikic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hadzikic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hadzikic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hadzikic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hadzikic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hadzikic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hadzikic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hadzikic has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I know in the first post ITT it's said cardio is non-essential, but for going from ~12-15% bf (for pretty much the first time in my life i can actually grab like a inch of fat on my abs and i don't like it) to 8-9%, can you drop that much bf in 1-2months with just calorie restriction?

8====D~ ~ ~ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) DeejDarko's Avatar
    DeejDarko is just really nice. (+1000) DeejDarko is just really nice. (+1000) DeejDarko is just really nice. (+1000) DeejDarko is just really nice. (+1000) DeejDarko is just really nice. (+1000) DeejDarko is just really nice. (+1000) DeejDarko is just really nice. (+1000) DeejDarko is just really nice. (+1000) DeejDarko is just really nice. (+1000) DeejDarko is just really nice. (+1000) DeejDarko is just really nice. (+1000)
    Just popping in here to give some encouragement to the n00bies, follow all the rules and it'll happen on time....IN TIME...it's not a sprint it's a marathon. I've been strength training hard and heavy for about 7 months or so now and i've lost 50 lbs. So i know what I'm talking about so I'll toss out a few tips...

-**** THAT SCALE! Put that **** in the closet and don't get it out for a month, any sooner than that and it'll just be a motivation killer

-don't worship the mirror, changes happen all over and take time

-stick with it...it WILL get easier I promise, don't let the initial difficulty get you down and discourage you, everything new is hard
    Positive vibes, bitches
    Shoot me a pm if you need help

tonyflo04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonyflo04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonyflo04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonyflo04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonyflo04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonyflo04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonyflo04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonyflo04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonyflo04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonyflo04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonyflo04 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by DeejDarko View Post
    Just popping in here to give some encouragement to the n00bies, follow all the rules and it'll happen on time....IN TIME...it's not a sprint it's a marathon. I've been strength training hard and heavy for about 7 months or so now and i've lost 50 lbs. So i know what I'm talking about so I'll toss out a few tips...

-**** THAT SCALE! Put that **** in the closet and don't get it out for a month, any sooner than that and it'll just be a motivation killer

-don't worship the mirror, changes happen all over and take time

-stick with it...it WILL get easier I promise, don't let the initial difficulty get you down and discourage you, everything new is hard

YES!!! Remember, this isn't just a "diet"...it's a lifestyle change. If you treat it like a diet, you'll fail. I've been doing the macro-based TDEE centric plan for about 20 months and have lost 200 lbs.

Eat 500 to 750 less than your target and get your exercise in and you will win...you win the day...you'll win the week...you'll win a new life.

Of y'all want visible proof? Look at my bodyspace...I did that without fat burners, workout Dr Oz magic pills...with out a fad diet.

Even better...it'll help you maintain after you hit your goals. It ain't easy, but if you put in the work...you'll see results and it'll feel friggin great.
    Weight Loss Journey Start - 13 May 2013: 435 Lbs.
    Goal: 190-210 range and sub25% BF
    *Former 400-lbs Crew*
    *Former 300-lbs Crew*

My Mottos:
    Better Everyday
    Win The Day

8====D~ ~ ~ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) DeejDarko's Avatar
    DeejDarko is just really nice. (+1000) DeejDarko is just really nice. (+1000) DeejDarko is just really nice. (+1000) DeejDarko is just really nice. (+1000) DeejDarko is just really nice. (+1000) DeejDarko is just really nice. (+1000) DeejDarko is just really nice. (+1000) DeejDarko is just really nice. (+1000) DeejDarko is just really nice. (+1000) DeejDarko is just really nice. (+1000) DeejDarko is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by tonyflo04 View Post
    YES!!! Remember, this isn't just a "diet"...it's a lifestyle change. If you treat it like a diet, you'll fail. I've been doing the macro-based TDEE centric plan for about 20 months and have lost 200 lbs.

Eat 500 to 750 less than your target and get your exercise in and you will win...you win the day...you'll win the week...you'll win a new life.

Of y'all want visible proof? Look at my bodyspace...I did that without fat burners, workout Dr Oz magic pills...with out a fad diet.

Even better...it'll help you maintain after you hit your goals. It ain't easy, but if you put in the work...you'll see results and it'll feel friggin great.
    Repped for impressiveness, that number is huge. I think mines actually 60 lbs maybe a bit more, not sure because I threw my scale away (srs) because I don't give a fook what the number is, I'm looking more and more hnnggg every week, theres your motivation right there
    Positive vibes, bitches
    Shoot me a pm if you need help

nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Hadzikic View Post
    I know in the first post ITT it's said cardio is non-essential, but for going from ~12-15% bf (for pretty much the first time in my life i can actually grab like a inch of fat on my abs and i don't like it) to 8-9%, can you drop that much bf in 1-2months with just calorie restriction?
    Yes. Cardio is not only non-essential, it can hold you back. Don't try to create a calorie deficit with exercise! Heavy lifting is to retain muscle while cutting. If you want to do cardio for endurance or cardiac health reasons, keep in mind that if you don't adjust calories upward accordingly, you will feel like utter **** (depression, fatigue).

There are good reasons to do cardio (stamina, heart health), but fat loss isn't one of them. Also keep in mind that simply being in a calorie deficit will sharply decrease your endurance in general, both in cardio AND in weight training volume. Keep the intensity HIGH and the volume low.
    'There is no sin except stupidity." --Oscar Wilde

thelynchmob1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by nondualism View Post
    Yes. Cardio is not only non-essential, it can hold you back. Don't try to create a calorie deficit with exercise! Heavy lifting is to retain muscle while cutting. If you want to do cardio for endurance or cardiac health reasons, keep in mind that if you don't adjust calories upward accordingly, you will feel like utter **** (depression, fatigue).

There are good reasons to do cardio (stamina, heart health), but fat loss isn't one of them. Also keep in mind that simply being in a calorie deficit will sharply decrease your endurance in general, both in cardio AND in weight training volume. Keep the intensity HIGH and the volume low.
    So I'm trying to cut from 218lbs to 200lbs. I'm 26% body fat now. My plan is to lift 2x per week to maintain muscle mass--I find it really easy to put muscle on so I'm guessing I'll find it easy to maintain--while doing HIIT cardio 3-4x per week to lose fat. Obviously I'll be maintaining a caloric deficit during this time, I'm eating mainly keto/paleo as these foods keep me full for a long time and keep me away from frosties, pizza and McDonald's. I don't eat a lot of carbs at all. Am I doing it wrong, or does this sound like a reasonable plan to you?

nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by thelynchmob1 View Post
    So I'm trying to cut from 218lbs to 200lbs. I'm 26% body fat now. My plan is to lift 2x per week to maintain muscle mass--I find it really easy to put muscle on so I'm guessing I'll find it easy to maintain--while doing HIIT cardio 3-4x per week to lose fat. Obviously I'll be maintaining a caloric deficit during this time, I'm eating mainly keto/paleo as these foods keep me full for a long time and keep me away from frosties, pizza and McDonald's. I don't eat a lot of carbs at all. Am I doing it wrong, or does this sound like a reasonable plan to you?
    Explain your rationale for keto and HIIT. NONE of that is even close to necessary to go from 218 to 200lbs.

You're likely underestimating your body fat % (almost everyone does), but even if you're not, at 26% (assuming you're male) you don't need anything more than calorie restriction, 1gm/lb LBM protein, and heavy, low volume lifting.

thelynchmob1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by nondualism View Post
    Explain your rationale for keto and HIIT. NONE of that is even close to necessary to go from 218 to 200lbs.

You're likely underestimating your body fat % (almost everyone does), but even if you're not, at 26% (assuming you're male) you don't need anything more than calorie restriction, 1gm/lb LBM protein, and heavy, low volume lifting.
    I thought I was about 18-20%, but I got DEXA scanned a couple of days ago and I'm 26%, so you're right, I was underestimating. Rationale for eating keto/paleo is that a) it helps me hit protein goals, and b) it keeps me strict about my diet. If I allow myself to have a little bit of pizza here, a McDonald's there, I soon fall off the bandwagon.

HIIT is to burn some cals, and improve cardio fitness. I'm trying to do this in the next 8 weeks (for a bet), so I've got to eke out every advantage I can to hit my goal.

Originally Posted by thelynchmob1 View Post
    I thought I was about 18-20%, but I got DEXA scanned a couple of days ago and I'm 26%, so you're right, I was underestimating. Rationale for eating keto/paleo is that a) it helps me hit protein goals, and b) it keeps me strict about my diet. If I allow myself to have a little bit of pizza here, a McDonald's there, I soon fall off the bandwagon.

HIIT is to burn some cals, and improve cardio fitness. I'm trying to do this in the next 8 weeks (for a bet), so I've got to eke out every advantage I can to hit my goal.
    You might want to try a fat fast or Lyle McDonald's crash dieting book. You'll feel awful, but you'll lose weight very fast.

rlopez004 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rlopez004 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rlopez004 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rlopez004 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rlopez004 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rlopez004 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rlopez004 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rlopez004 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rlopez004 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rlopez004 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rlopez004 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=wave_length;553453753]Wavelength Guide to Bodybuilding v3.0

The goal of bodybuilding is to improve body composition by losing fat and/or gaining muscle mass. If total body weight goes down in the process, the method is generally referred to as "cutting", if total body weight goes up, it's called "bulking", if body weight stays about the same, it's called "recomping".

1 Cutting

1.1 Essential Rules

- Workout with weights about 3 times a week.
    - Eat at least 1g protein / lb of lean body mass a day.
    - Eat some fruit, veggies/salad, and some essential fatty acids (EFAs) every day.
    - Above that eat whatever you want, preferably a wide variety of foods.
    - Adjust your food intake so that the desired rate of weight loss is maintained.

The recommended rate of weight loss depends on your current body fat level. Generally, the higher your bodyfat, the higher the rate of weight loss can potentially be. The best indication for the rate being too high is if you rapidly lose strength in the gym. In this case, increase your intake and go for a smaller rate of weight loss. In general, a rate of about 1-2lbs per week is recommended.

Any cutting method that follows the above rules is close to optimal, any further details will not have significant effect on body composition. If you already have a meal plan, just check if these rules are followed and adjust if not.

1.2 Measuring Progress and Adjusting Food Intake

- Weigh yourself once a week, always at the same time (e.g. right after waking up).
    - Don't panic if your weight stays the same or even goes up for one or two weeks.
    - If your weight does not go down for more than three weeks, slightly reduce calories.
    - If your rate of weight loss is above the desired value, slightly increase calories.
    - The change in daily calories from those adjustments should not exceed 500 cals.
    - After adjustment, stay on the new value for at least three weeks before adjusting again.

If you have never done a cutting diet, it's always better to start with more calories and reduce slowly until the desired rate of weight loss is maintained. If you stay patient, you will not have to adjust very often. With more experience, you will not have to count calories anymore, but as a beginner it is probably a good idea.

1.3 Unessential Factors

Since many questions revolve around further details of cutting diets, here is a list of factors that I believe to be of insignificant effect for body composition:

- Cardio and fat burners,
    - Meal timing and meal frequency,
    - Protein / Carb / Fat distribution throughout the day,
    - carb / fat ratio,
    - Sodium intake,
    - Moderate alcohol intake,
    - Use of supplements resp. meal replacements,
    - "Clean" food vs. Junk food (sugar and saturated fat).

All these factors should be used as tools to make the diet as convenient as possible. Many people e.g. have an easier time dieting with eating more calories and doing cardio or taking fat burners. Some people like myself have an easier time without cardio and fat burners. In my experience, the end result (body composition improvement) is not significantly influenced. Another example is protein supplements. I e.g. use whey powder to meet my daily protein intake out of convenience. I could just as well get all my protein from other sources. A third example is meal frequency and timing. This tool should be used to reduce hunger as much as possible throughout the day. For some people that means eating 6 times a day, for others it means eating only once or twice a day.

2 Bulking and Recomping

The only factor that changes for bulking or recomping is that the rate of weight change X is positive resp. zero. All other essential rules are exactly the same as for cutting (see sections above).

For bulking, the critical factor is the value of X. Everyone has a different ability to gain weight with a certain ratio of muscle vs. fat gain. This ability is dependent on things like genetics, age, training experience, etc. The ratio will decrease the higher X is, but not in a linear way. The trick is to find the optimal value for X, where the ratio is still close to optimum. Unfortunally, this is solely a matter of experience. My advise would be to increase calories by 500 over maintenance and check if weight goes up while fat gains are still tolerable. If no weight is gained, increase calories again. If fat gains are too high, decrease calories.

For recomping (staying at about the same total body weight), just weigh yourself from time to time and adjust food intake accordingly to maintain that weight. You can e.g. weigh yourself in the morning and just skip your last meal of the day if you're above target weight. You can determine your progress by how much strength you gain in the gym, by taking measurements (e.g. waist size), or simply by looking in the mirror.

3 Weight Training

Weight training refers to intense (anaerobic) strength training in this guide. This applies to all three variants of bodybuilding (cutting, bulking, and recomping). There are many methods of weight training, a typical 3 day split program is assembled here (the numbers refer to number of exercises):

Day1: 3 x Chest, 2 x Biceps, 1 x Abs
    Day2: Rest
    Day3: 4 x Legs, 2 x Shoulders
    Day4: Rest
    Day5: 2 x Back, 2 x Triceps, 1 x Traps, 1 x Abs
    Day6: Rest
    Day7: Rest

For each exercise, do one light warmup set, then go up with the weight on the next 2-3 sets, and do one or two heavy sets to failure or close to failure. For the smaller exercises (e.g. biceps), the number of sets can also only be 3-4 though. Repetition numbers should be in the range of 15-6. For the exercises one could e.g. do (in the above order):

3 x Chest: BB Presses, DB Incline Presses, Dips
    2 x Biceps: DB Curls, Concentration/Cable Curls
    1 x Abs: Situps
    4 x Legs: Squats or Leg Presses, Leg Extensions, Leg Curls, Calf Raises
    2 x Shoulders: DB presses, Seated Rear Lateral DB Raises
    2 x Back: Pullups, Cable Pulldowns
    2 x Triceps: Skull Crushers, Cable Pushdowns
    1 x Traps: DB Shrugs
    1 x Abs: Leg Raises

These are of course only examples, there are plenty of other exercises that can be used as replacements. There are also plenty of other workout plans such as HST, German Volume Training, etc. What's most important is that the training is intense and that all major muscle groups are involved throughout the week.

4 Psychological Tips and Tricks

- It is possible that you will not "see" changes in the mirror unless your bodyfat is rather low. Don't panic, as long as the rules are followed, everything is right on track.

- If at all, only assess your physique right after a workout. At other times it's too dependent on water retention, and the mind will play tricks on you (telling you your progress sucks, etc.).

- Have a cheat/pig-out day once in a while, where you eat what you want. I had one every week on my last diet. Don't feel guilty about it, as long as the rules are still followed (total intake still leads to the desired rate of weight change), everything is allright.

- Don't take the whole thing too serious. It's better to not care about it so much. See it more as being the coach of another person, rather than yourself.

5 Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I determine how much calories I should consume?
    A: You can just go by what you currently eat and reduce from there as described in the guide. Alternativiely, use a calorie calculator like the "Total Metabolism Forecaster", see link section.

Q: Is it important to get the same amount of calories resp. macros every day?
    A: No, it's OK to eat a little less one day and more the next.

Q: How do I determine my lean body mass for calculating my protein intake?
    A: You have to take your total body weight and subtract your fat weight. If you e.g. weigh 200lbs and your bodyfat is 20% (=40lbs), your lean body mass is 200lbs - 40lbs = 160lbs. If you don't know your bodyfat, just take a guess. When in doubt, just eat a little more. However, if for some reason, you can't eat as much protein, just eat a little less, most people will still do fine.

Q: Does it matter where I get my protein from and what are good protein sources?
    A: Generally, it does not matter. You can get your protein from meat, fish, eggs, cheese, protein powder, etc. Although there are differences in quality (regarding muscle sparing effect), they can easily be made up for with just a little more quantity.

Q: I work out less/more than 3 times a week, is that OK?
    A: Yes, as long as all other essential rules are followed. Some people get away with less, some do better on more.

Q: I lost a lot of weight in the first few weeks but weight loss has slowed down, why?
    A: The initial weight loss was probably mostly water loss. Stay at the current intake for at least another 3 weeks. If weight loss stalls, slightly reduce calories as described in the guide.

Q: What about keto diets?
    A: Principally, keto diets (very low carb diets), as long as they follow all rules, would be fine. IMO, some people have a problem preserving muscle mass on a keto diet. For other people it works great. I don't think keto diets provide a significant advantage other than maybe being more convenient for some people.

Q: What about post workout nutrition?
    A: I would not intentionally starve myself of protein after a workout. A meal containing some protein or a shake is perfectly fine.

Q: Apart from body composition, what about health?
    A: First of all, it is important to distinguish between the goal of optimal body composition and the goal of optimal health. For the former, the guide provides all essential rules. For the latter, opinions vary a lot between experts and over time (see e.g. saturated fat, GI, food processing, cholesterol, etc.). Therefore, IMO the best way to go is to eat a wide variety of foods.

Q: How can I lose fat in certain areas of my body?
    A: Although there are theories that spot reduction is possible to a certain degree, generally IMO it's not feasible. You can only reduce overall bodyfat and wait for the problem areas to come in.

Q: What exactly is your diet?
    A: My cutting diet is somewhat extreme (see Links section). For bulking, I add a meal or two. That's just the most convenient way for me. However, every other diet that follows the essential rules is also perfectly OK.

Q: Should I eat differently on workout days than on off days?
    A: That's not necessary, but if you're hungrier on workout days, you can eat a little more (out of convenience).

Q: Does this guide also work for girls?
    A: Of course!

Great info, but what about sleep/rest?
    There is no finish line to life, so lets live, love, and enjoy every moment of our lives doing the things we love to do with the people we love the most. Find what makes you passionate and go after those things with no hesitations. Mistakes and failures are going to come, but they're part of being successful.

bodyfail is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodyfail is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodyfail is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodyfail is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodyfail is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodyfail is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodyfail is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodyfail is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodyfail is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodyfail is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodyfail is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by rudraraavan View Post
    Guys I started @ 175lbs at 37.5 in. waistline.
    @ 5 ft 8 in.
    in last 45days have reduced it to 35 inches @ 163lbs.

I want to ask is reduction in bodyfat not linear?

I mean for first 21 days my waisthardly changed but then in 2-3 days it shrunk to 36 inches.

Same thing is happening now. I have lost about 1 inch in last 19 days. I am in a 700-800 calorie deficit daily but its a bit frustrating when my measurements dont reduce.

how do I takle this cause sometines I just cant see changes

Btw I went frm 24.7% bf to 20.3% but still am not seeing drastic changes in the mirror
    First off great job thats an awesome change. If you are not seeing a change drink some water. I am currently your height and weight but my waist is 32 and my BF is 15% AFTER my bulk from 156 since late December (of about 6 weeks.) I am about to do a cut, which for me simply means cutting the sugar out of my diet and stopping eating at 6PM along with changes to my workout schedule of course. Don't look for changes in the mirror look for changes in your lifts. Also your caloric deficit is a bit high maybe lower it to 500 and lose a pound a week.

Originally Posted by rlopez004 View Post
    Great info, but what about sleep/rest?
    Sleep: When you're tired.

Rest: Long enough to not be tired anymore.
    You don't start there.

Joshyb90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joshyb90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joshyb90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joshyb90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joshyb90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joshyb90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joshyb90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joshyb90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joshyb90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joshyb90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joshyb90 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by iDrive View Post
    Sleep: When you're tired.

Rest: Long enough to not be tired anymore.
    Hey idrive, you reckon waves suggested weightlifting routine would be effective for hypertrophy goals? To be quite frank im over these higher frequency strength routines
    Number 1 goal: consistency.

leandreams86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi Wave_length. An honest confession- it's only after reading your posts on cutting and bulking that I understood the basics of bodybuilding. Before that I always thought of this an obscure subject. I have a query and it would be great if you could share your views

I know this has been asked multiple times before but I’ve reason to believe my problem is a bit unique and that normal extrapolation of the experience of others may not do the trick here.

Background – Age 27, Height 5.11, Weight – March 31, 2014  246, now 186 to 193 (weekly fluctuations). However, I achieved this weight of 186 lbs 2 months back (mid Nov’14) and since then haven’t lost a gram. Around the same time in November I quit smoking cold turkey (was a heavy smoker). I also started lifting heavily, properly and regularly for the first time ever (only compound exercises 4 times a week plus moderate cardio 50% of the time) and have noticed robust improvement in lifting strength. Now based on my results I’m confused between metabolic crash (stalling my weight loss) and body recomp.

Diet – quitting smoking has resulted in me taking in 300-400 calories extra per day on AVERAGE (4-5 days of 1800-1900 calories and 1-2 inadvertent pizza/other junk day(s) ) and eating close to maintenance (around 25-2600 cals). Protein – at least 0.6 gm / lb

Measurements – Abdominal has gone down by 1.5 inches to 35, legs by 0.5 to 0.7 inch each, chest by 0.5 inch to 38, arms by 0.2 inch each (they are saggy at 12.8 inches). All this looks positive, however the movement on the scale is making me doubt my measurement accuracy as I can’t recall how I measured myself back in nov’14.
    Accu-measure fat calliper – I started using this January ’15 after reading a book by Tom Venuto. Although am a first timer and can’t confidently say am estimating my bf perfectly, the measurements say I’ve gone down from 21.5% to 18.1%. Venuto also mentions in his book that you needn’t be accurate and should only bet on the direction of the movement.

Please help me guys, what is happening. Can my metabolism crash with me being able to lift heavier each week and with me not feeling tired at all? Or is it the best time of my life (body recomp) which I should make full use of.

Biggstyson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Amazing information Guys Thank you very much !!!! I'm 6 ft 3 around 370lbs
    At the moment i train 5 days a week . 3 of the days are double sessions with 70min cardio in the morning and weights at night. How much protein etc should my diet consist of .

My current diet is

Breakfast !!! 8 egg whites in the morning 3 slices of seeded wholemeal toast + 1 cup of fruit salad

200g of chicken breast or cod / tuna , one cup of rice + 1 cup of salad x3 times in the day ( in intervals of 3 hours)

Pre workout shake , and after workout protein shake when doing weights. Then before bed i have a serving of cottage cheese and beetroot mixed together.
    Past scholars studied to improve themselfs , Todays scholars study to impress others - Confucius

Originally Posted by Joshyb90 View Post
    Hey idrive, you reckon waves suggested weightlifting routine would be effective for hypertrophy goals? To be quite frank im over these higher frequency strength routines
    As long as you're lifting it doesn't matter, I don't think wave's routine was supposed to be anything more than a guideline. It's definitely not a bad routine. If you want a hypertrophy specific routine then go look for one specifically addressing that

Originally Posted by leandreams86 View Post
    Hi Wave_length. An honest confession- it's only after reading your posts on cutting and bulking that I understood the basics of bodybuilding. Before that I always thought of this an obscure subject. I have a query and it would be great if you could share your views

I know this has been asked multiple times before but I’ve reason to believe my problem is a bit unique and that normal extrapolation of the experience of others may not do the trick here.
    Statistically this is unlikely

Please help me guys, what is happening. Can my metabolism crash with me being able to lift heavier each week and with me not feeling tired at all?
    Nope, watch your diet more carefully; Follow rule 3.

Originally Posted by Biggstyson View Post
    Amazing information Guys Thank you very much !!!! I'm 6 ft 3 around 370lbs
    At the moment i train 5 days a week . 3 of the days are double sessions with 70min cardio in the morning and weights at night. How much protein etc should my diet consist of
    Ballpark probably don't need to shoot for more than 150g-200g
    You don't start there.

M1LD_S is a name known to all. (+5000) M1LD_S is a name known to all. (+5000) M1LD_S is a name known to all. (+5000) M1LD_S is a name known to all. (+5000) M1LD_S is a name known to all. (+5000) M1LD_S is a name known to all. (+5000) M1LD_S is a name known to all. (+5000) M1LD_S is a name known to all. (+5000) M1LD_S is a name known to all. (+5000) M1LD_S is a name known to all. (+5000) M1LD_S is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have a question about body composition. I am about 200 lbs now and right at 15% bf. So I understand I am holding 30 lbs of fat. I want to cut to about 10% which I think will put me at 180 and takes 12ish lbs of fat loss.

My question is, I know i am holding water/glycogen, how does this factor into my body composition? Say i am holding 5 lbs of water that I lose pretty quickly once I start my cut. At that point i would be about 195 lbs. Is it at THAT point that I now have to lose the 12 lbs of fat to get to 10% or so. I know those numbers dont necessarily work out exactly but I guess im wondering is what does that water weight count as as far as calculating body fat.

Seems like a really simple, stupid question but I appreciate any answers!
    I am about that life Jerrel

Starting weight: 8.6 lbs

Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Why do u want to know? I mean just cut till ur happy right?

I started my cut yesterday following those 3 rules, looking forward to the result
    Insilicio road to aesthetics: Fierce 5 Workout Journal + Leangains Nutrition: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172342523&p=1460564873#post1460564873

rudraraavan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Keeping it short and sinple

I lost 4 inches in waist in last 75 days by just eating less.

Now I want to take it a bit further and get a six pack

My calorie intake

Bw* 14 for maintainence

so 155* 14. ->2170 cals/ day

substracting 700 from it ->1470cals/ day

protein 150 gmperday ->600 cals

carbs 100 gm ?perday -->400 cals

fats 50 gm perday -> 450 cals

plan on losing ~ 2 lbs/week

current stats

height 5ft 8in
    weight 70kg/155lbs