kevpl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Looking for a Career/Major in Nutrition, Recommendations Appreciated!

Hi,

I am currently a sophmore (3rd semester) in College (Rutgers) and I have been contemplating a career in nutrition, specifically hopefully something involving some kind of sports nutrition. The problem is that I am not all that aware of career that involve nutrition. Until recentley I was aiming on major in Buisness Managment but realized that I hated all my buisness classes.

If someone could please give me some careers that involve nutrition and what these degrees entail. The more information I get obviously the better. The semester is soon coming to close and in a relativley short amount of time I will be needing to declare a major.

Thank You Very Much
    kevpl

PS. I also enjoying psychology and I have contempalted a career in teaching if that effects anything.

Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's not the kind of career where you'll rake in money. The big bucks is getting the RD (Registered Dietician). Without the RD, you're not going to be able to work in a clinic. To get an RD, you have to get a Bachelor's Science and then 1 year of post-grad and then take the license exam. To get into the 1 year post-grad internship, you need to have good grades. It's very competitive to get in. Considering how much you have to go through, the salary for an RD is low.

There are other career path for a nutrition degree such as food inspector for the dept of safety, work inside food manufacturing plants, work in a nursing home, and etc. Most of those require an RD. If you're a B average student, it's going to be tough. You'll have to go through a lot of chemistry and biochemistry classes.

If you're going for sports nutrition, you'll learn most of that from doing your own research. The stuff you'll learn in school mostly cover the fundamentals. They're not going to spend a semester teaching you about creatine and alpha lipoic acid. You'll probably better off majoring in Kinesiology and minoring in nutrition. There's not a lot of high-paying jobs out there for this. You might end up as a PE coach.

alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by kevpl View Post
    Hi,

I am currently a sophmore (3rd semester) in College (Rutgers) and I have been contemplating a career in nutrition, specifically hopefully something involving some kind of sports nutrition. The problem is that I am not all that aware of career that involve nutrition. Until recentley I was aiming on major in Buisness Managment but realized that I hated all my buisness classes.

If someone could please give me some careers that involve nutrition and what these degrees entail. The more information I get obviously the better. The semester is soon coming to close and in a relativley short amount of time I will be needing to declare a major.

Thank You Very Much
    kevpl

PS. I also enjoying psychology and I have contempalted a career in teaching if that effects anything.
    Stickied in the Personal Trainers Forum.

:bump:

leepavoni has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leepavoni has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leepavoni has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leepavoni has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leepavoni has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leepavoni has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leepavoni has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leepavoni has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leepavoni has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leepavoni has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leepavoni has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by kevpl View Post
    Hi,

Thank You Very Much
    kevpl

Same dilemma dude. Took 2 years of Business Administration and HATED it. Decided to change to Kinesiology. So, basically im starting all over but I hope its worth it. Try health science classes for sports nutrition.

Originally Posted by leepavoni View Post
    Same dilemma dude. Took 2 years of Business Administration and HATED it. Decided to change to Kinesiology. So, basically im starting all over but I hope its worth it. Try health science classes for sports nutrition.
    Damn bro were really are in the same boat, Buisness Administration was what I was looking for as well but like I said earlier and you say now, I hate what I'm learning.

I've been roaming the internet and my College "Degree Navigator" for careers in Kinesiology, Sports Medicine and things like that but there is just so much information, rather hard to process it all

mbalser is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mbalser is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mbalser is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mbalser is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mbalser is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mbalser is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mbalser is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mbalser is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mbalser is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mbalser is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mbalser is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I only have 1 semester left of my undergrad and I'll have a bachelor's in Human Nutrition, Foods and Exercise with a focus on Exercise & Health Promotion. I will have earned all necessary credits except for a required internship that I have to find and have completed by mid-summer. I'm having the same problem as far as where to look and who to talk to because I want to pursue something in strength & conditioning but also realize the high demand for those in the physical therapy realm. Only problem there is it requires a fair bit more schooling, which I am not ready for at this point. It'd be awesome to work with a sports team or something other than a one-on-one situation but don't really have any connections. I really don't want to end up at the local gym doing personal training sessions though...anyone with contacts in Northern Virginia???