Trainedge will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trainedge will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trainedge will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trainedge will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trainedge will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trainedge will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trainedge will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trainedge will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trainedge will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trainedge will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trainedge will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Not being able to drop the barbell at my gym

I'm primarily doing the clean and jerk and snatch in my workouts but my local gym doesn't have bumper plates so I can't drop the barbell at the end of the movement help? (I will rep for a good solution)

NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000)
    Then don't drop it, why do you have to drop it anyway?
    Negative resistance is good, lower it and put it on the floor.

Alexlexexx is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlexexx is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlexexx is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlexexx is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlexexx is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlexexx is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlexexx is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlexexx is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlexexx is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlexexx is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlexexx is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    hmm..

ask for the equipment you need (including floors)

if they wont get you those, explain to them that you need to perform this exercise and cant do it safely unless your dropping the barbell, if they dont accept, change gym..

if you cant change gym try buying 2 thick rubber mats (>4 inches) and have those under the barbell..
    halareous

matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You can get by just fine without dropping the weight, there really is no need to. Just lower it down in a controlled manner (doesn't have to be super slow, just slow enough to not have it smash the floor).
    Strength + Speed = Power

If you never fail, you aren't truly pushing yourself to the limit. If you never push yourself to the limit, how do you know what you're truly capable of?

Registered Nutcase eyeoftheworld's Avatar
    eyeoftheworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyeoftheworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyeoftheworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyeoftheworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyeoftheworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyeoftheworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyeoftheworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyeoftheworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyeoftheworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyeoftheworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyeoftheworld will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by matjusm View Post
    You can get by just fine without dropping the weight, there really is no need to. Just lower it down in a controlled manner (doesn't have to be super slow, just slow enough to not have it smash the floor).
    You can, but you need to know how to lower the weights right and catch the barbell on your thighs (which hurts a bit).
    Training journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=124874941

Olympic weightlifting had made me not only stronger and quicker but also better looking and possibly more well-endowed. See what it can do for you!

matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by eyeoftheworld View Post
    You can, but you need to know how to lower the weights right and catch the barbell on your thighs (which hurts a bit).
    Since we're on the topic, here's how I do it with the clean:

My form on the exercise is pretty bad but this is what I have found to be an effective way of lowering the weight.
    Strength + Speed = Power

If you never fail, you aren't truly pushing yourself to the limit. If you never push yourself to the limit, how do you know what you're truly capable of?

eyeoftheworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyeoftheworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyeoftheworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyeoftheworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyeoftheworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyeoftheworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyeoftheworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyeoftheworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyeoftheworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyeoftheworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyeoftheworld will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by matjusm View Post
    Since we're on the topic, here's how I do it with the clean:

My form on the exercise is pretty bad but this is what I have found to be an effective way of lowering the weight.
    This is the right idea but I have always been told to catch the weight on the thighs in a quarter-squat.
    Training journal:

Olympic weightlifting had made me not only stronger and quicker but also better looking and possibly more well-endowed. See what it can do for you!

jesus thinks youre a jerk ehlpitel's Avatar
    ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Find a different gym.

That's pretty much it.
    How many gymrats does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Seven. One to screw in the bulb and six to say, "Bro, you're huge, man! Ripped!"

Trainedge will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trainedge will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trainedge will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trainedge will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trainedge will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trainedge will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trainedge will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trainedge will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trainedge will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trainedge will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trainedge will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ehlpitel View Post
    Find a different gym.

That's pretty much it.
    There's no other gym in my area.

ChadWilliam1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChadWilliam1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChadWilliam1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChadWilliam1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChadWilliam1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChadWilliam1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChadWilliam1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChadWilliam1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChadWilliam1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChadWilliam1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChadWilliam1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Trainedge View Post
    There's no other gym in my area.
    What is your area. I dont lower anything down ever, that is what gravity is for.

jesus thinks youre a jerk ehlpitel's Avatar
    ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If that's the case just lower the bar from the rack/over head position into your hips/thighs and lower the bar from there.

It's annoying but better than nothing.

Have you tried looking on the USA Weighlifting site to see if there are any clubs/teams/coaches in your area? They're not always set up in a traditional gym.

Good luck and don't get discouraged.
    How many gymrats does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Seven. One to screw in the bulb and six to say, "Bro, you're huge, man! Ripped!"

Originally Posted by ehlpitel View Post
    If that's the case just lower the bar from the rack/over head position into your hips/thighs and lower the bar from there.

It's annoying but better than nothing.

Have you tried looking on the USA Weighlifting site to see if there are any clubs/teams/coaches in your area? They're not always set up in a traditional gym.

Good luck and don't get discouraged.
    I live in England and our country isn't
    as big on fitness/bodybuilding and **** as yours.

Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I live in England and our country isn't
    as big on fitness/bodybuilding and **** as yours.
    Bull, there are plenty of more hardcore gyms if you can be bothered to travel a bit, where are you?
    Koyongi: I am going to accomplish this by following a haphazard training system, and forging elite fitness.

champion w8lifter in prog boykid28's Avatar
    boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm primarily doing the clean and jerk and snatch in my workouts but my local gym doesn't have bumper plates so I can't drop the barbell at the end of the movement help? (I will rep for a good solution)
    i lift at a gym where i cant drop the weights. either learn to lower the weights, buy bumper plates, or go somewhere else.
    -we are what we repeatedly do. therefore, excellence is not an act but a habit.
    -sollevatore di pesi campione in corso
    -"that guy is running in shorts"Dr.House
    "he's not running, he's trolling"Dr.Wilson

gym PR's:

snatch:90kg
    clean & jerk:117.5kg
    total:202.3kg

oly squat:179.5kg

journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130985093

Originally Posted by Fluster View Post
    Bull, there are plenty of more hardcore gyms if you can be bothered to travel a bit, where are you?
    About 20 miles south of London. There are a few gyms within travelling distance, but they're all just small **** ones that are part of health clubs.

Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000)
    About 20 miles south of London. There are a few gyms within travelling distance, but they're all just small **** ones that are part of health clubs.
    There's a good Oly club/gym in Woking, that can't be far from you.

http://www.windowonwoking.org.uk/sites/weightlifting
    Koyongi: I am going to accomplish this by following a haphazard training system, and forging elite fitness.

gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Fluster to the rescue!!!
    Being a real lifter is not about a number, or a medal, or somebody else telling you that you are a real lifter. It is about commitment to the iron and strength of purpose.

Thanks, but unfortunately Im 16 so go everywhere by bike or bus and it's a bit too far. I am considering setting up a home gym and for a good 100kg Weight set (with barbell) it costs about £220.

lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I made pretty much the same thread before, and everyone said to catch it on your quads, which is what I've learned to do now. It's hurts and bruises but I just man up.

PBs:
    Oly Squat: 145 kg
    Front Squat: 125 kg
    Strict Overhead Press: 75x2 kg
    Push Press: 90 kg
    Bench Press: 100 kg
    Deadlift: 180 kg
    Power|Full Clean: 95|100 kg
    (Hang) Power Snatch: 72.5 kg
    40-Yard Dash: 4.7s
    3-Cone Drill: 6.8s

My Strength Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129882473

☆☆☆υк ¢яєω☆☆☆
    ~misc audiophile crew

Thanks, but unfortunately Im 16 so go everywhere by bike or bus and it's a bit too far. I am considering setting up a home gym and for a good 100kg Weight set (with barbell) it costs about £220.
    See my post in your other thread - You can do it for less, especially on ebay and will recoup your costs within 6 months with the lack of gym fees.

I don't believe that you can't bus/train to Woking if you could actually be bothered. Hell, it'd only take me 45 minutes on the train and I'm much further away than you. I appreciate it's a bit of a hassle, but don't sit there whining about it when there are clearly viable options, especially ones with proper, professional coaching.

Like I said in the other thread, Christmas is coming, get your olds to think about helping you out with the home kit.

Originally Posted by lwild View Post
    I made pretty much the same thread before, and everyone said to catch it on your quads, which is what I've learned to do now. It's hurts and bruises but I just man up.
    Join the club mate

lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Join the club mate

lol atleast yours are red mate, mine go a nice yellow/gray colour :/
    PBs:

My Strength Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129882473

☆☆☆υк ¢яєω☆☆☆
    ~misc audiophile crew

kohdii has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kohdii has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kohdii has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kohdii has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kohdii has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kohdii has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kohdii has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kohdii has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kohdii has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kohdii has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kohdii has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Either arrange a talk with your gym's manager and talk to him about getting the equipment, makeshift something with what you have available, or just lower it slowly. Eccentric movement is the movement that actually tears the muscle fibers.

raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000)
    Since you have a bar and some plates you can just buy a pair of bumpers. You can start with a pair of these and buy another set when your strength increases.

http://www.strengthshop.co.uk/index....ate-black.html
    "However, the strength of the hamstring muscles is crucial to fully exploit the strength potential of the quads and ultimately the vertical force that the athlete is able to impart to the barbell." - Andrew Charniga, Jr.

sammers62 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sammers62 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sammers62 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sammers62 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sammers62 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sammers62 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sammers62 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sammers62 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sammers62 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sammers62 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sammers62 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by lwild View Post

Is that you, and are those Power Perfect 2's?
    If they are do you like them?

Originally Posted by sammers62 View Post
    Is that you, and are those Power Perfect 2's?
    If they are do you like them?
    Yep and Yep.

They're very nice! Very light and a good fit. Paid 90quid for them, worth it imo.
    PBs:

☆☆☆υк ¢яєω☆☆☆
    ~misc audiophile crew

ChadWilliam1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChadWilliam1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChadWilliam1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChadWilliam1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChadWilliam1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChadWilliam1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChadWilliam1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChadWilliam1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChadWilliam1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChadWilliam1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChadWilliam1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    OP I encourage you to buy a set. Dropping the weights prevents injury. Everybody misses lifts. I missed a snatch off my blocks last week and lost it behind me. I miss jerks all the time, and I start over.

You gotta do what you gotta do.

Op, search and search for the closer weightlifting gym in your area. If it is truely too far to get to. Contact the coach and explain your situation and ask him if there is any lifters in your area that you can either catch a ride with or perhaps have their own set. It seems to me in my area I know three other lifters with a set.

Originally Posted by ChadWilliam1 View Post
    OP I encourage you to buy a set. Dropping the weights prevents injury. Everybody misses lifts. I missed a snatch off my blocks last week and lost it behind me. I miss jerks all the time, and I start over.

You gotta do what you gotta do.

Op, search and search for the closer weightlifting gym in your area. If it is truely too far to get to. Contact the coach and explain your situation and ask him if there is any lifters in your area that you can either catch a ride with or perhaps have their own set. It seems to me in my area I know three other lifters with a set.
    It is not ideal, but you could always use sub-maximal weights, focusing a little more on volume. Jim Schmitz has an article on Ironmind where you use less weight and build up from 3x2 to 5x2 with a given weight over a few weeks before adding 2.5kg and doing the same thing.

The thing is, you won't automatically get injured by lowering weights. As I said above, you just cannot go as heavy. Guys had lowered weights until the advent of bumpers in the 60s/70s. Just be careful.

Then again, as you say, if you miss a jerk (and you will because we all do) you may get thrown out depending on how stupid the gym staff is. One thing I can suggest is doing just cleans and then doing jerks off the rack. You will be a little more fresh that way. This is provided you do not get your own set and cannot find a better place to train.
    Last edited by eyeoftheworld; 10-26-2010 at 06:00 AM.
    Training journal: