Page 3 of 133 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Building Curves

ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Here is what I have been in love with as of late:

1. Glute Ham Raises
    I had such a distorted view of these before. And I *thought* I was doing them - but really wasn't. I had viewed these as a good finishing exercise - a hamstring isolation. Equal to a ham curl or leg extension. Now, reading up on them, they are a great posterior chain exercise and I am thinking this one one of the most underrated moves. Additionally, I have read that these make your hams nearly invulnerable to injuries (injury prevention is a huge part of my training going forward).

As pregnancy progresses, I can see these completely filling in for deadlifts.

My former technique(s) were waaaay off for getting the most out of this exercise. I used to start accelerating at probaby almost a 90 degree angle and then doing an explosive 'push-off' back into place! (so getting almost nothing out of the exercise). Didn't think it was too big a deal though since I just viewed this as a finisher to bang out a couple of sets and burn out the ham. When I lost the explosiveness on my upper half (injury), I realized how badly I actually sucked at these.

My Glute Ham Raise set up now is:
    a. Kneel on padded mat
    b. Secure feet under loaded barbell
    c. Place stability ball in front, about arm's length away. My body is not touching or resting on the ball in anyway, it is just to stop/ slow me from crashing to the floor - hams are always doing most of the work.

Now, I just use the ball to lightly guide me down slowly (I've also seen this done in a corner with a broomstick to guide, but that did not work out as well for me). The fact that I am going slower now loads my hams waaaaay more. My first set I had to remind myself a several times to NOT rely on the upper body pushing on the ball, bring it to the hams, so must go slow to avoid that temptation. So at that breaking point where normally I would accelerate, I'm forced to contract hard and hang on with every bit of strength I have in my hams. Then contract hard to get back up - no explosion from the upper body. So, this exercise is actually more demanding for me than the regular ham glute raise with no assist - go figure!

2. Calf work
    On the subject of less is more, I found that for the most part, my calf work was not going through a full range of motion. Always being sure now to bring it all the way down, feel the stretch, and then go allll the way back up and contract there. Before, I don't think I was even breaking the tension throughout the exercise, just sort of pumping up and bouncing down quickly - which I think has its place too (to pre-exhaust or burn out), but for the most part - feeling a lot more out of this and cutting my calf work down in terms of time.

My favorite move for now is still raises standing on plates, with loaded barbell on shoulders. I love the balance aspect of that as well as I think that is also part of overall fitness (which I am into going forward as opposed to just constantly overloading my muscles with as much weight as possible). When I feel myself leaning forward. I can quickly catch myself by putting one foot forward - toe first of course - and it adds another unexpected jolt to the calf muscle (in no way do I feel like I could possibly miss and fall - just to clear that up, it is very quick to stop yourself and regain balance). Now that I am going through a FULL range on these, I am down from 75 reps (broken up) at 145lbs, to 50 reps at 85 pounds, followed by weightless raises past burnout. I switch up calves all the time since I am now doing them daily (per Arnold lol AND because they might be the only body part of me you see till about a year after I have this baby haha), but that is my favorite way to get them.

3. Heart Rate Monitor
    Yet another great item to make my workout time more efficient. Got this for pregnancy of course (and holy crap I cannot believe how much a set of squats can send the heart rate up! I mean I always feel like I am dying during squats - guess I wasn't being such a wimp afterall).

But sometimes, I think I have not recovered from the last set, but actually I have - I am just dragging a** for some other unknown reason. Several times I did not *feel* ready, but my heart rate was already back down to 120 (I never go on another set till I get down to this for pregnancy). I'd get under the bar, thinking - yeah right, I have not recouped, I'll get like 1 and run out of steam, but guess what - I was ready. I trust my body for everything else food/ nutrition-wise, but let me tell you as far as pushing myself fitness-wise, I will never 'go by feel' again - can't be trusted.

So there we have it - many precious minutes saved now because I am not waiting around for my 'next wind' thinking I'm drained. If machine says I have energy, I have energy.

4. Warm-up
    I found what has been missing from my workouts for the last 15 years - a fun, decent warm-up with lots of dynamic stretches that not only warms my muscles, but energizes me to lift! As a mom, I never get a full nights sleep, and when working out esp. during the week - I have a really hard time getting into it - just too tired!

Before I would either do a few half-a** stretches (and slow ones at that usually - like the kind you do before bed) or make a feeble attempt at some jumping jacks when my legs felt like lead.

I have 2 fully choreographed warm-ups now lol. I put one or the other song at the beginning of my training playlists (I like Uffie's Pop the Glock and Filter's Take a Picture to warm up to right now). They are a combination of dynamic stretches and belly dance moves. Chest circles and lifts/ drops do wonders for my injured neck/ trap, the arm undulations get the shoulder and arm going, the shimmies and all the hip stuff - combine that with the dynamic stretches and I can't imagine a better warm-up. I feel totally warmed up and EXCITED for my workout in like 3 minutes. Even if I was not in the mood - I am 100% there after this warm-up and have waaaay better workouts because of it. Better than caffeine (though a little green tea might make a pre-wo appearance too

I can't believe I had neglected this important step for so long.
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55
    Meet lifts : Squat 275 | Bench 170 | Dead 400

Journal : http://tinyurl.com/80s-lifting-journal

mom to 3 boys / spend my life at grocery store crew

ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    One more thing to add to my workout love note above:

Metronome
    Have I mentioned how much I LOVE lifting first thing in the morning, to dead silence other than a ticking clock? Normally, I like to blast my classicrock.uk station and but I find that I sometimes get too into the music to workout if I am trying to be done quickly. David Bowie comes on and I lose my sh*t and forget I am supposed to be lifting lol. The clock ticks loudly and I time my reps to the clock. Tick, up, tick down, it really keeps me inline and makes me get the most out of the moves. When I got my personal training cert I remember one of the items they had us purchase was a metronome and it really changed my workouts, I don't know why I stopped using one. This can only happen if I am up at the crack of dawn and the kids do not get up - once they are up I pretty much have to stop every 15 seconds for something so it is like squeeze in what you can in whatever conditions you can lol.
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55

Post Pregnancy Hernia Surgeries - Debating Tummy Tuck at the same time

If any moms out there have had a tummy tuck and any advice on recovering with little ones, how the tuck affects your training, etc. please send along a note!

I had a wicked hernia which I already had operated on ( the scar across my midline and loss of belly button). I got a new obgyn and like the others, she is horrified at the condition of my stomach. She has also determined that I will need to have the other hernias operated on (multiple hernias pressing on each other) as well after the baby. I have had MAJOR digestive issues since my 2nd baby was born. My ob seems to think that a number of my digestive issues will be solved after the surgery which was music to my ears.

However, I know down the road I am going to want a tummy tuck to try and get a normal looking stomach. I went on a few consults a while back and a couple of the cosmetic surgeons said they also fix hernias, I only found one who is willing to create a belly button (might take multiple procedures). I think it is involving some sort of metal pin - but a belly button is totally worth potentially being molested by airport security for the rest of my life lol.

I got some wacked out insurance plan (before I knew I was pregnant, I'm never at the dr otherwise) with a super high deductible. So I'll be like 4 grand out of pocket for hernia surgery (I want to nurse my baby mimimum of 6 months so no surgery till then if possible. Usually I nurse for a year, and I am shooting for that, but I know I cannot wait on this surgery like I did the last one).

So, we have 2 choices:

1. Just Hernias for now
    Pay 4 grand out of pocket
    Have more butcher scars from general surgeon (now there is talk of splitting me straight down the middle like a pig roast??? how many more aesthetic blows can one take lol),
    BUT- no more painful swelling intestines throughout the day
    Won't be stuck in the rubber hernia binder all the time
    Possibly in the future have ANOTHER operation sometime down the road for cosmetic reasons, ANOTHER recover time, MORE scars, etc.....

Or,

2. Hernias and Tummy Tuck
    Get everything done at once
    Pay a couple grand more out of pocket
    Get diastasis repaired so these hernias can stop popping out all over the place (when they fix hernias, they basically just patch them shut, don't really fix the underlying problem which is that my connective tissue there was destroyed. In a tuck they sew the split muscles back together)
    But then have one recovery time, hopefully be able to enjoy the foods I want, and ....
    After years of feeling like a monster - have a normal belly with a REAL belly button.

Hmmmm, let's see now. Can you believe I've actually been spending months pondering this? I am glad I wrote this out, looking at it in print, it is coming clearer. Lol, I am sure other mothers will understand, it just feels so indulgent to spend that kind of money on cosmetic surgery while my kids are young. And how the heck do I recover.... but, I have to do it anyway for the hernia so why not kill 2 birds. But really now. 3 kids in 5 years - with all my body has been though, I am feeling less guilty about treating myself. Not to mention, I have not taken my shirt off in front of my husband in years and wear baggy concert tees all the time since I never know when the hernias are going to bulge through and swell. I think he'd like his wife back now haha. I still have some time to think about all this though, but trying to plan ahead as much as possible incase I do need to get an operation right away.

My kids should be 5, 3.5 and 6 months when I have the operation (whether it be tummy tuck or just hernias). Last time mine were 1 and almost 3 - that DID NOT work out at all. The older one was still in the terror phase and the little one was already walking and too big and strong, and I could not even sit up. It was mayhem. And I am having another boy so plenty more years of mayhem to be had around here haha. My oldest is the police around here though, so that might make things a little different than when everyone was still really little.
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55

Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hey lady, just stopping by to see how the injury and the pregnancy are progressing! As usual, you are always go get-'um, lol. The break sounds like it was freakin painful, ugh.

I did get the lifting shoes, they are like wearing Mary Janes! Yes, they help with the squats. Do they cure the ATG issue? No, still need the blocks.

I started a new program, two heavy days, upper and lower, then 2 days rest. 3 consecutive volume days of a conventional 3 day split with more exercises, higher reps, less weight. So far its been fun, will be running it for 12 weeks, only in week 3 right now. I had a hard time at first with Heavy Lower days, wasn't sure if I could recover quickly enough with that load. Now in the third week I am recovering faster.

Hope all is well, I am not helpful with the tummy tuck thing but on paper it looks like a no-brainer, as you said
    "A champion is someone who gets up even when he can't" ---Jack Dempsey

I eat for living, not just lifting.

I can't believe it has been nearly 6 months with no upper body work. A few weeks ago I started testing the waters and now I can at least do some things. Surprisingly shoulder presses are ok. Bench - ok if elbows do not go down past back too far. Dips - an issue. Most painful by far - pull ups. Lateral raises are no way too but really who cares about that - totally insignificant when you have not been working upper bod AT ALL for over 6 months. It has been so long that I think I am actually experiencing 'beginner's gains'. Certainly in strength - my lifts are back up to where they were when I left off??? Not complaining AT ALL, but wtf?

The pain stems from the vertebrae- about the 3rd or 4th one down from the base of my neck. There is something there (feels stabby) and when acting up, it comes around and makes my collarbones painful and impinges the shoulder joint so I can't move my arm. And I don't know what it is. I'll find out after baby. But it seems to be healing, albeit very slowly.

My squats are sad right now but deep knee bends are off the radar for now. I am going just to parallel as to not bother my hips too much.

Calves as always - still going strong (the one body part I can count on to function on any given day). had to abandon the donkey calf raises with the weight belt due to hip issues. My current fave is to load an ez bar, place over knees (it fits just right) and squat against a ball against the wall. I have a wood block I put my feet on but it is not even necessary. Push up on toes and down. Crazy how much this hurts.

Originally Posted by Rowyn View Post
    I did get the lifting shoes, they are like wearing Mary Janes! Yes, they help with the squats. Do they cure the ATG issue? No, still need the blocks.
    Glad to hear the shoes are helping! My husband got some wrestling shoes and I have been eyeballing them for squatting. He really likes his.

I started a new program, two heavy days, upper and lower, then 2 days rest. 3 consecutive volume days of a conventional 3 day split with more exercises, higher reps, less weight. So far its been fun, will be running it for 12 weeks, only in week 3 right now. I had a hard time at first with Heavy Lower days, wasn't sure if I could recover quickly enough with that load. Now in the third week I am recovering faster.
    I am head over heels embarrassingly obsessed with your routine and that is half the reason I have not been in my journal - too busy spending my puter time researching the Layne Norton power hypertophy split. lol! I have periodization issues - I had been taking stabs at undulating periodization, which was hard for me, because I was pulling rep schemes out of my butt with no rhyme or reason and then usually end up somehow going to / past failure anyway. (just isn't a party till you are crippled on the floor lol). But was reading as much as possible on periodization (really NOT that complicated, not sure what my issue is haha) and studying routines in hopes of finding something that could be flexible with my unpredictable schedule between work and kids.

Layne Norton - i see a lot of people modifying this routine and being quite happy with it. Power days alternating with volume days - this sounds so awesome and what a great way to keep workouts fresh - such a great balance IMO.

I'd need to make too many modifications to do it right and make it fit right now (days need to be flexible, I really need a 4-day upper lower split due to scheduling, recovery issues of doing that for a while with baby, etc). But have been 'sampling' the routine for a couple of weeks. So once I am in a better spot for this, I'll be ready to go with the perfect routine combo

I have been having a blast sampling various routines - I know I am not going to be making any crazy progress while pregnant so it is a fun time to try and bunch of different stuff and make my plan of action. I have like 3 years worth of routines lined up lol. It also works because every day is different with the pregnancy. Some days I have no hip mobility, other days my shoulder is acting up - it is nice to have all the flexibility of bouncing from thing to thing. I'm still sampling Layne Norton right now. Those upper body volume days, I can see myself spending waaay too much time overthinking those haha but it is good to get the kinks out now before getting serious with it. So back burner for that soon. Then on to sample something else for a month or so. Fun fun fun!
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55

Program Test Drives

My objective here - is to get as organized as possible before baby comes. That means to find a series of flexible routines or programs that take no more than 40 minutes (preferably closer to 30). And things I know I can get into even when sleep deprived rather than be overwhelmed (ahem, NOT 20 Rep Squat program haha). Lord knows I won't have time to think about this stuff with 3 little ones under 5.

Of course, many important things are absent from my 'test drives'. Loading parameters/ progression and the like. I am only sticking with each program for a couple of weeks - testing to see mainly how much time the sessions take, and can it be converted into an upper/ lower split without too much disruption of the program. I need to get lower 2x/ week (aka no 'arm day'-type foolishness).

My first test drive was (per inspiration of Rowyn's journal and her slammin' recent photos):

Test 1: Layne Norton Power Hypertrophy Split
    My final thoughts on this were:

- Can see this working out great when I can guarantee myself a 5 day week. I tried to modify this to a 4 day upper/ lower split and I really felt like I needed that extra day. But with it (and my schedule), my squat days spaced farther apart than I'd like. Upper/ Lower really fits me better right now.

- I sort of took a long time some days. Supersets on the heavy days were not so good for me, the only thing that seems to respond well to that on me is chest/ back. Everything else was much weaker than normal. No stamina I guess.

- Utter hatred for the lower volume day right now. lol.

- not going to bother to log the workouts for this since it is on the back burner and I never really got the upper volume day sorted out either. I think it is a great program, just not right for me in the near future.

Test 2: Optimized Volume Training (modified to an upper/ lower split)
    - LOVE

-35-40 minute sessions on average

- This can definitely work - I love the 5 core compound + 5 accessory superset, I think it is brilliant. The possibilities are endless haha. It is like I got 10 reps in, with the attention span of 5. And a short list is always a huge plus.

- Here's the log from last week. Won't bother to record the loads moved since I'm more interested in total time spent and how the routine feels for now. These are supersets, no rest between the 2 exercises, then 1:30 rest between each superset:

Sunday:Upper 1

A1. Press 5 x 5
    A2. Rear Delt OR Arnold Press 5x5

B1. Dip 5x5
    B2. Skullcrusher 5x 5

C1. DB Bench 5x5
    C2. Fly

Time: 35 minutes!

Tuesday: Lower (Ham Dom)

A1. Sumo Deadlift 5 x 5
    A2. RDL 5 x 5

B1. Good Morning 5 x 5
    B2. Russian Leg Curl 5 x 5
    (LOVE this superset!)

C1. Calves double 12-15 x 4
    C2. Calves single 12-15 x 4

Time: 35 minutes again

Thursday: Upper 2

A1. Inverted Row 5 x 5
    (turned into Rack chin when I realized my shoulder could take it)
    A2. Single Arm Row 5 x 5

B1. Row 5 x 5
    B2. Curl 5 x 5
    (I think I can replace the curl with something more important - I've been benched for 6 months for goodness sake what the heck am I curling for lol)

C1. Flat Bench 5 x 5 (uh-oh, belly doesn't like to lie flat anymore!)
    C2. Fly 5 x 5

Time: 40 minutes. Damn unilateral stuff cost me an extra 5 minutes lol

Saturday: Lower (Quad dom)

A1. Squat 5 x 5
    A2. Lunge/ Bulgarian OR Step-Up 5x5
    (finally, a way to get the benefit of those lunges without running out of breath first!)

B1. Sumo Squat 5 x 5
    B2. Extension 5 x 8
    (really need to get ahold of how much weight it will take to bring it to 5 reps here)

C1. Calves double 5 x 5
    C2. Calves single 5 x 5
    I was ecstatic - I got over 10 sets of squats if you include the warmups! However, this was too much for me right now, couldn't walk the hext day. Less sets for now and all is well.

Time: 45 minutes.

I hate to have such a short stay with this one, I really enjoyed it and it will make it into the post-partum rotation.

By next week I should have my log for my week of the 5/3/1 test drive. This morning I did the Press workout for that, with 3 accessory exercises. Was only going to do 2 but things were going really well time-wise. I am not used to the high reps of the assistance work, the skin on my arms felt like it was going to burst (in a good way). I have a feeling I am going to like this one too. Can't wait till I can do these programs for real!
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55

Stuff I Learned in Starting Strength that I Feel Stupid for Not Knowing, Or Forgetting

1. Not to Kill Myself with Deadlifts

So I spent the better part of the last 2 years hobbling around like a fool, tired to the point that my whole body was tingling, and my hamstrings remarkably sore and tight ALL the time to the point that when I went to get a massage, the masseuse was like 'wtf is going on back here??'

So reading in Starting Strength, I see that it is not recommended to do straight sets of deadlifts. You sort of ramp up your weights throughout the warm-up, and have 1, ONLY 1 working set at the max weight you plan to use.

Going forward, my squat/ deadlift ratio is going to try to be more like 2:1 than 1:1, and I will not be doing straight sets anymore. Done and done, and I look forward to finding a (hopeful) solution to the one thing that kills me about training.

Don't get my wrong, my dead is by far my best lift and the gains I made over the last couple of years have been enormous, but at the price of chronic pain, fatigue and misery. Glad there is a smarter way. (um, did everyone know this but me? lol)

2. Another nice reminder, was to warm up with the lift I am planning on doing, with an empty bar, and add weight for a few SHORT warm-up sets. That is sufficient! Here I am, knowing I am getting only 35 minutes to train, doing a warmup which consisted of dynamic stretching, squat jumps, and a choreographed dance to Thriller. I mean, seriously. Not only had I wasted a good 15 minutes, but now I have used up a good portion of my energy on my warm-up, and my set will suffer for it.

This book brought me back to the basics. It also taught me that my warm-ups WERE indeed draining my work out. I had abandoned warming up with my main lift, because it wasn't working out (I was not doing it right). On squat day, I would warm up with maybe just the bar, 15 reps. Or even worse choice, jump squats. So I am out of breath when the real training begins.

My warm up sets for squats are now more like sets of 5,3 or even 2. Huuuuuge difference in performance! Now my sets are stronger, and I feel like I got a little something going on with the muscle in the warmup instead of wasting the energy on Thriller.

I wish I knew about this book when I first started training. Some of the points I am so excited over, I know might not be rocket science, but you get in these ridiculous habits and don't even realize you are in them till something tells you to come correct.
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55

Program Test Drives - Test II - 5/3/1

Found another winner. Now, since I am not able to work at the percentages required by the program (due to baby bump), I went ahead and did 5 sets of the main lift. Figured that the time would work out around the same as if I was lifting what i was supposed to, taking a decent rest between less sets. Again, the underlying theme of this one is a main lift (heavy) with some moderate assistance work on the side. The concentration is on the main lift. Very short rests on the assistance (1 minute) so the session zooms by.

Sunday: Press
    warmed up with bar x 5, bar x 10, 55 x 7
    1. Overhead Press 5 x 5 (only 65 lbs with baby bump)

2. Bent Over Fly 4 x 12

3. Skull Crusher 4 x 12

4. Lateral/ Front Raise Superset (alternate front + side - and yay no shoulder pain here!) 4 x 10

Time: 28 minutes!

For some reason, my arms were super-pumped after this. I think they are liking the volume after the main lift for a change of pace. My arms felt 'well done' and also looked really swelled up after 3 - skull curshers. I think I could have even just stopped there if I needed to.

Tuesday: Deadlift
    warmup bar x 8, 95 x 5
    1. Deadlift 5 x 5 (Now I know to always ramp the weight on these. My top weight right now is only 135 due to baby bump, so the last 3 are actually straight sets since I am really not stressing myself much there. In the future, now that I know to just ramp here, my dedlift sessions should be a bit shorter. I'm lucky to still be doing these, might have to cut them soon though)

2. Inverted Row (or rack chin) 4x10 (these are tough right now - I htink I'd rather go for 5 and concentrate on strength on this move, get my chest all the way to the bar).

3. Single-arm Row (would of course be a regular row when pressed for time) 4 x 12/ arm

4. GHR, Good Morning or Hip Thrust - (Today I chose Good Morning) 4 x 15

5. Calves 5 x 15

Time: 44 minutes

Supersetted calves in with 3 + 4. Might have to drop the single arm row here in favor of regular row - cutting close on the time. I could throw a curl in here too, but after my long hiatus from injury, curls def not necessary. I had tried a 'posterior chain' day in the past and hated it. Why did I love this one so much? I am thinking that concentrating mainly on the dead, instead of having multiple 'main' lifts - forces me to remember that this is a full back exercise, not mainly ham, and I get more out of it. The deadlift ramp makes it so I have room for a good upper body pull, instead of having all of my energy used up... I like this day very much.

Thursday: Bench
    warmup: bar x 10, 65 x 8, 80 x 3
    1. Bench Press 5 x 5
    2. Dip 4 x 8
    3. Fly 4 x 12
    4. Overhead Tricep Extension (ez-bar) 4 x 12-15

Time: 33 minutes

I'll be alternating starting with a bench or dip. Actually I might dip first for a while, I had to use a band assist to get 8, and I'd like to get my strength back to where it was and be doing 5 straight sets of 5 unassisted (or weighted) rather than pushing for higher reps with a band. Great session overall though.

Saturday: Squat
    warmup: bar x 8, 65 x 5, 95 x 3, 115 x 2
    1. Squat 5 x 5
    2. Leg Press, Step-Up or Sumo Squat(I chose sumo today) 4 x 10
    3. Leg Extension 4 x 15 - 20
    4. Calves 5 x 8

Time: 30 mins! UNHEARD OF for a squat day.

Well, was way too winded to think about step-ups. I love having choices on the assistance work for this reason. Sumo's don't leave me nearly as breathless as regular squats, not sure why. On my 'hurry days' I'll prob hit the leg press as I can bang out sets rather quickly there. For my choice today, I felt so good about getting like 10 sets of squats in! But, the volume proved to be too much right now, I could not move the next day.

I did my calves on the leg press machine, and supersetted them in with 3 & 4. This was one of the best leg days I have had in a while. And simple to boot.

Overall thoughts on this one - Love! Another program I'll be able to do post-baby. I always get nervous looking at the clock during the main lifts - it can tak up to 15 20 minutes - and then when I look at the list of the assistance work in comparison to how long it took to complete the single main lift, I think 'oh shoot I am going to end up taking an hour - won't be able to finish!' But with the short rests and even being able to superset on the assistance when needed, it really breezes by. The assistance does just what it is supposed to do, compliments the main lift, but doesn't detract from it.
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55

Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hey there! Just wanted to say that I love your overviews of the various programs, very thoughtfully written. I have three e-friends in the Ov35 doing the 5-3-1 and they love it. Most just started, so it will be cool to see where they progress.

I agree with much of what you had to say about the principles in Starting Strength. When I am doing a strength day for deads (which I only do once every few weeks), I only do 1-3 reps tops as I go up in weight. Its just such a taxing movement for the body, you don't NEED to do so many reps. My higher rep days are never more than 5 (except for warmups) and those are significantly lower than my maxes for the reasons you described.

Just read an interesting discussion rerogressive warmups versus volume warmups and I too, was reminded not to spend myself with wasted effort. I have always used the actual exercise for warmup (squatting the bar for squat warmups), but I think it also makes sense to put more thought into reps/weights/sets for warmups rather than just getting them done. I may be sacrificing energy for working lifts I do not need to expend.

The Layne Norton is going well for me, I actually created the Lower Heavy day with the deads in there. Another female comp bber in the Ov35 puts her deads on her Upper Heavy day. The "volume" days are actually short for me, but for the legs. That one is brutal. If I do decide to cut this spring the volume on that will go down I am sure. I am def seeing the difference in my legs working them two days a week in DIFFERENT ways, it agrees with me so far. Its a hard program to do if you are not eating in excess for the strength days, I could be progressing more rapidly for sure if I was in surplus right now.

Looking forward to reading along as always!
    "A champion is someone who gets up even when he can't" ---Jack Dempsey

I eat for living, not just lifting.

I have three e-friends in the Ov35 doing the 5-3-1 and they love it.
    That's awesome! I can't wait to do the program for real.

The starting Strength book is great, my husband is like 'how can you sit there and read 40 pages about deadlifts, esp when you have been doing them over a decade?' But there are so many things that can go wrong somehow. I could read that book over and over again and continuously find things I am slipping up on that need improvement.

The "volume" days are actually short for me, but for the legs. That one is brutal. If I do decide to cut this spring the volume on that will go down I am sure. I am def seeing the difference in my legs working them two days a week in DIFFERENT ways, it agrees with me so far. Its a hard program to do if you are not eating in excess for the strength days, I could be progressing more rapidly for sure if I was in surplus right now.
    I tried your lower volume day - very intense! No wonder you've made such impressive gains lately.

Thanks for checking in
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55

gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Did you ever try Max-OT before? Those workouts are pretty quick and intense
    Team Cookies Give You Superpowers

Current Journal: Adventure Time with Turkey
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170094463&p=1489770341#post1489770341

My Super Awesome SNS log- Lori Battles the Holiday Pudge (Finished):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140145363&page=2

"She's not overtraining- she just trains stupid" -Kimm4

Originally Posted by gobbles23 View Post
    Did you ever try Max-OT before? Those workouts are pretty quick and intense
    You know, I had downloaded a 120 page PDF on that but never printed it to stick in my binder of routines to pick apart and obsess over haha. But now that you mention it, I am going to print it out and start picking it over carefully. I really like the set/ rep scheme - looks like a fast session, just what I need right now. all the rules make sense actually. I think the only thing I'll need is to figure out an upper/ lower split for this. Hmmm, looking over the PDF, it says 'follow this routine to a T' and I am a stickler for doing things the way they are written. But one of the days is an arm and ab day which I'd like to skip in favor of a 2nd leg day... will need to do some more research and go through the PDF thoroughly. Thanks for posting - a whole new world of possibilities to check out now
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55

Test Drive IV: Westside for Skinny Bastards

Well, on this one, I really need to be lifting the recommended loads to get a true feel for it. Otherwise, the sessions just aren't 'enough' given the steady DECREASE in work loads as of late with the baby bump. I am not doing what I guess it the original which would require working to a 1RM on the heavy days - it is a 3-5RM - I could not find the original online but that's ok I don't think I am game for 1RM's appearing regularly anyway. But in my test, of course I get nowhere close to hitting even the 5RM.

Saturday: Lower Body
    I had some massive mental block with 'work up to a max set of 3-5'). Digging around online, I found a recommended rep scheme of
    5, 5, 3, 2, 2, 5
    So seeing that, I am thinking - obviously I am ramping - so is this my warm-up then? It is so funny because some will say NEVER ramp - always try to get the volume in your working sets because that is all that matters, and here we are now, ramping again. Lol no wonder people get so confused with anything fitness-related.

I am digging the whole working up to that max set, but not exhausting yourself on the way (2 reps, etc). I thought it worked great and can see myself getting a new PR each week on this scheme. I saw in the revised edition PDF, that SMALL jumps in weight are required throughout the ramp, so you get some volume there leading up to the max set. So we're not doing 5x95, 3 x 125, 3x155 2 x 185 etc - it is smaller jumps, so I guess those 'ramping sets' count for something (and thus, I DO still need a regular warmup).

Another area of confusion for me was the recommended 2-4 minutes rest. This might have been just because my loads are not what they should be right now due to baby, but after a 2 rep lift (on not a 2 rep max lift, a 2 rep ramping lift on the way to a 5RM) - I don't feel like I need anywhere near 4 minutes of rest. Perhaps this will change once I can do this for real. If so, I think I'd be loooking at roughly 20 minutes or so on the Max Effort lift.

Unilateral... you know with 3 kids under 5 and limited time my attitude is kind of 'f the unilateral work' lol. It sure does tack some time onto my day. idk what it is about Bulgarians, I get so breathless - can't superset anything with them and need a longer rest or I get winded before my legs burn out when shooting fo r3-4 sets of 8-10 (yeah, that would be 3 sets of 8 for me haha).

K so here's what I did:

A. (Max Effort Lift) Squat
    5, 5, 3, 3, 2, 5

B. (Unilateral) Bulgarian
    8, 8, 8

C. (Posterior Chain) RDL Supersetted with below
    4 x 8

D. Calves (in place of abs) Single leg standing today - BAD CHOICE!
    4 x 10

Time: 45 minutes - ouch

The calf work choice was bad because it was single leg. Good thing I am getting my ducks in a row now, because now I realize - NO MORE THAN 1 UNILATERAL MOVE PER WORKOUT for me - especially if the move (such as the Bulgarian) can't be supersetted. This took about 45 minutes total, and I feel like I should have gone with another set of Bulgarians AND more reps (prob would have brought me closer to a full hour). This session surely would have been cut short by my kids on a weekday. But, I like the program so much, I might see what I can do here, or reserve this one for Saturdays when my husband can watch the kids.

Sunday: Max Effort Upper
    A. Press (this was supposed to be a bench-type move, but shoulder presses feel better to me right now for a 'max effort move' since I don't have to lie down for it
    5, 5, 3, 2, 2, 5
    Well now, the rep scheme I was questioning proved very effective. My 2 2 rep sets there - I somehow got off course in the ramp, and the 2 2reppers ended up being about 10lbs more than I normally lift overhead, even 1 time! I was like 'holy crap I didn't know I could do that'. So when I got to my 5 - I didn't know where to go from there. Like, do I now just do a back-off set? Go for more? Stay at this weight and go for 5? I ended up bringing the weight back down to what I had originally intended on using and doing that, but it felt darn easy now. Hmmmm, I definitely see some real strength potential in this program.

B. Incline Press (superset with below)
    4x10

C. Row
    4x10
    I'm not used to doing this many reps on a row, lost concentration several times and just 'went through the movements' with no squeezing. Gotta watch that.

D. Rear Delt Fly (superset with below)
    3x12

E. Curl
    3x10
    Ugh, the dreaded curl. This is supposed to be an elbow flexion, but I am really thinking of changing this to at least a cable pulley row - that counts as elbow flexion, right

Time: 33 minutes

Monday - Dynamic Effort Lower
    Well here's where things get interesting. They DO NOT recommend 2x per week squats for us skinny folk, consensus seems to say that we don't recover. You know, once that baby comes and getting 2 hours of sleep, they are probably right haha. I thought that the recomended jump training would be out for now. I have tried box jumps in the past. Doing sets of 15 and I wanted to die. But they are saying 5-8 sets of 1-3 jumps? I can handle that. Except I have low ceilings in the basement so maybe not. And sure as heck can't test it out right now, lest I'd like to wear the kitchen floor on my head. And bump would NOT be amused by all that shaking.

So in the jump training's place, I chose kettlebell swings, with sumo squats as a backup if the kbs were a nogo with baby bump (since I am NOT working out with my max loads afterall). I also put some GHR's here since I wanted to work on those, and my guilty pleasure, the leg extension. I used to bash them but doing them regularly seems to have carved out this nice line on the front of my leg.. and they don't bother the baby bump.

A. Kettlebell Swings or Sumo Squat (I chose kettlebell today)
    4 x 20 (sumo squats would be more like sets of 10)

B. GHR
    4 x 10
    I have never tried a hip thrust and hearing so much about them lately. once baby is out, would love to try something like that here. I also can't superset GHR - once my feet are locked just the right way under the barbell, I'm not moving till I'm done.

C. Extension (superset with below)
    4 x 10

D. Calves
    4x20
    (did loaded E-Z bar seated calf raises, was going for 4x10 but ended up being 4 x 20)

Time: 30 minutes

Woah, that kettlebell stuff is cardio. My GHR was a drastic change from last time - felt abdominal strain. so I modified them to only go halfway down using a stability ball assist, and squeeze back up. Was worried this wasn't going to be enough, but hams felt pretty fried when I got up.

I also thought the leg extensions would be a breeze since not pre-exhausting with squats. Got more out of those than expected as well.

Tuesday- Repetition Upper
    (yeah, I wasn't thrilled about having to lift 4 days in a row, but the rest of the week is a bust. This is why upper/ lower type deals are so essential to me, flexibility)

A. Bench OR Dip
    10 x 2
    Very, very happily chose dip. I really need some strength work there. Reading up - I saw that 10 sets of 2 reps is an option! Much more appealing for me to do that unassisted that dipping with a band for 4 sets of 12-15, my upper body still needs to gain strength back. But I wonder if they still recommend the 90 second wait time between sets. If so, I am looking at close to 20 minutes on this segment. I waited 45-60 seconds and enjoyed that, and it came to around 10 minutes. (But in the revised edition of WS4SB, they say 60 seconds is not sufficient rest time for most exercises). Oh, and i am condsidering these 'weighted' dips since I have about 15 pounds of extra baby

B. Skullcrusher (superset with below)
    4x10

C. Inverted Row
    4 x 8

D. DB Shoulder Press (superset with below)
    3x12

E. Curl
    3 x 8

Time: 30 minutes

-------

Ok so FINAL THOUGHTS on Westside for Skinny Bastards - is yes, it seems this will work. This is one of those where I really need to do the actual program with the recommended loads to get a better feel - sometimes it felt like it just wasn't enough since I can't go all out, but I can see this working for when I can.

I have to get the Lower Body day to 35 minutes or less, which might be a challenge since I've got 2 time-sucker exercises (for me anyway) in there (squat and unilateral leg work). Might stick with this or another week to try and work through a fix for that day. Maybe I try a single leg press and superset that with calves (presses don't get me worked up the way freestanding squats and lunges do). It is worth the effort to make it work, this looks great.

So I might be sticking with this a bit more to work through some leg day options, and then on to the dreaded - German Volume Training. (Of course, not at normal intensity, but just to get a feel for it and how long it will take.

I shunned GVT before, but looking over the articles I have printed on it, I think I have a routine that is not so intimidating. Plus, with the thorough warmups I have been doing and really focusing on 1 main lift, 10 sets of an exercises doesn't seem so bad - especially when it is only 60 seconds rest? And the rest of the exercises can be supersetted, so this shouldn't take as long as I thought it would. The template I have i s basically 10x10 with 60 seconds rest, with 2-3 assistance.

I can see that the order of operations for me will probably be a real strength program - 5/3/1 is in the lead so far for that by far. So GVT might not rear its head for a while after baby, might not even make it in the mix before my surgery ( so we are talking years ahead now haha) but I am still enjoying this opportunity to try different program styles and reading all I can about them.
    Last edited by ilovethe80s; 01-25-2011 at 07:41 PM.
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55

Test Drive V:German Volume Training
    Well, I am happy to be taking this time to try things out, rather than wait until post-baby when I need to make the most of my time and am desperate for some good sessions.

This was ok to break things up for the week. Make a program out of it and stick to it for a period? Can't see it happening, not now anyway. Maybe in the distant future. Between babies and surgeries, I think I have done well so far but I feel like the grand finale in my baby producing and surgery saga is around the corner, and I can be expecting to lose strength, and I can see actually losing MORE strength on this program. Also, this is NOT drudgery-free.

I think I am getting the hang of how this aesthetic muscle thing works. These high rep thingies - they pretty much just plump the muscle you already have? (Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy?) Because I kept a nice pump for a few days - esp with the leg stuff.

Saturday: Back
    A. Inverted Row 10x10
    B. Bent over db flye 4x12
    C. Wide Grip Row 4 x 12
    D. Curl 4 x 12

Time: Forgot to record when my session ended! But I didn't like this anyway so it doesn't matter I suppose.

This was aggravation central. My inverted rows (since I can't do any overhead pulls right now) sucked. Flyes felt like nothing as always. Wide Grip row was thwarted by baby bump. I kept looking at the curls like - should I just cut that? Waste of time. I dutifully did them but wasn't happy about it.

Sunday: Legs (Quad)
    A. Squat 10x10
    B. RDL 4 x 12
    C. Reverse Lunge 4 x 12
    E. Calves 5 x 12

Time: 45 minutes

Well, cheated a bit here. i saw 10x10, PLUS unilateral work PLUS DL - knew I was not going to get enough time to do all of that. I counted my warmup sqauts in my sets, so I ramped in a sense. I've got to go back and read what GVT says as far as weight progression - but on a tired, no sleep day - I see myself phoning this one in. I found myself breezing through thinking 'ok, I have like 8 more sets, NEXT one I'll put some more effort'. I guess some of us just aren't built for volume haha. I was watching the clock, rushing through.

For me in the upcoming months, this can't make it as a regular routine. I can see this being thrown in occasionally as a higher rep day when I am ready to periodize again. I feel like with this - if I am going that direction - I'd rather just do the 20 Rep Squat Program (my nemessis haha) die a slow painful death for 10 minutes and get it over with.

But, I got that cardio 'tingle' that I have not had in a loooong time. And a different kind of DOMS. ANd then my legs looked fantastic for a few days.

Tuesday: Chest + Shouder(
    A. Press 10 x 10
    B. Flye 4 x 12
    C. Dip 4 x 12
    D. Tricep (had to do overhead extension 4 x 12

Time: 40 minutes

Messed up. Got up too early and wasn't thinking straight, missed where it said 'shoulder', went and did 10x10 bench presses when they should have beens shoulder presses. Then when I went to do my dips, I had this horrid discomfort and clicking in my shoulder and couldn't do them. What could I expect though really - 10 sets of bench and then dips too, with and already wonky shoulder? Presses would have actually been much better - darnit wish I had paid attention. Der. Was one of those days where I felt like I did NOTHING. I could try this again the right way - but I won't.

Thursday: Legs II(
    A. KB Swngs OR Sumo Squat 10x10
    B. HGR 4 x 12
    C. Extension 4 x 12
    D. Calves

Time: a shocking 30 minutes.

KB swings were out - they bothered the hernias today actually (gawd I sound like an old lady lol). Rolled my eyes during the sumo squats, just too many sets, too little intensity (other than cardio), and if there was any more intensity, don't think I would have had the focus to pull through. Supersetted Sumos with Calves - normally I can't even ss calves with squats, but sumos don't kill me like regular squats do. HGRs - I still fee like I was making great progress on those and want to stay lower rep so that can continue.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
    This is what to do when my strength numbers are back up, I am getting tired of brutalizing myself week after week with the super-heavy stuff, I want to see more stuff going on in the mirror, and I can get a solid 45 minutes from my fam to work out.

Short term - this isn't going to work. A couple of years from now - maybe. But I might throw in a workout like this occasionally.

I'd like to give this a go when the time comes, but right now - this is not the thing for me. I have a habit of scanning over my GVT list before embarking, like 'hmmm, what can I cut'. Not a good thing.

--------
    Ok and that last one concluded my test drives. I am so glad to have done this and have a record of it, I feel like I can get right down to business after baby with an arsenal of routines to do in minimal time.

The other program I came across was Growth Stimulus Training - but it looks almost the same as 5/3/1 - I'd rather just stick with that.
    Last edited by ilovethe80s; 02-04-2011 at 11:55 AM.
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hey OP, just wanted to say this is a great journal! Entertaining and motivating with some great info. I love the 20 rep squat experience! LOL, I just spent like half an hr reading through. Good stuff, you admit to a lot of those basic things that people often don't figure out until a couple years in - like really learning how to warm up propperly. (I'm guilty of it taking me a longggg time to get that one down.) There's just so much to learn, and I think we all have those moments of oh crap, was I the only person not aware I needed to do x, y, and z?!

Happy lifting, and best of luck with the injuries and baby bump!
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

Originally Posted by thehobbes View Post
    Hey OP, just wanted to say this is a great journal! Entertaining and motivating with some great info. I love the 20 rep squat experience! LOL, I just spent like half an hr reading through. Good stuff, you admit to a lot of those basic things that people often don't figure out until a couple years in - like really learning how to warm up propperly. (I'm guilty of it taking me a longggg time to get that one down.) There's just so much to learn, and I think we all have those moments of oh crap, was I the only person not aware I needed to do x, y, and z?!

Happy lifting, and best of luck with the injuries and baby bump!
    Thanks so much! Yeah the 20 Rep Squat thing- the thought of it alone and I want to cry haha. Someday will try it for at least a solid month - will be a changed person after that I'm sure.

Yes, the warm-up thing I finally have down (after like 15 years of foolishness lol). I feel great about my warm-ups now because they are quick, effective and I feel like they actually complement the lift I am doing rather than suck energy away from it. And any 'kinks' I have with the movement are worked out before the real weight starts, preventing injuries.

Took a peek at your journal - your numbers are amazing! Are you going to do the strongwoman thing? I saw someone training for one of those in the most unsuspecting gym. Was traveling and went to this little gym in a random small town and there were all these boulders and tires and logs all through the back of the gym, they had it all there for one strongman, they let him bring all his stuff in and leave it there so he could train there. They didn't seem to mind at all, seemed very proud of him actually, had all of his photos and things on the wall. I would imagine it is a very different thing, lifting a nice, easy to grip barbell, or a giant boulder of the same weight. A whole other level of strength
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55

robmad will become famous soon enough. (+50) robmad will become famous soon enough. (+50) robmad will become famous soon enough. (+50) robmad will become famous soon enough. (+50) robmad will become famous soon enough. (+50) robmad will become famous soon enough. (+50) robmad will become famous soon enough. (+50) robmad will become famous soon enough. (+50) robmad will become famous soon enough. (+50) robmad will become famous soon enough. (+50) robmad will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey--just found your journal! i didnt know you had one. i hope you dont mind if i follow you. i love your posts and find all of your reflections interesting. also i am always inspired by you because you have had some set backs (hernia surgery and injureis) and yet you seem to always look amazing and have a great attitude. i need some encouragement and inspiration these days as i am dealing with a groin pull and 4 weeks of inactivity! sucks! i was just finishsing week 4 of SS and doing awesome when i worked a bit too hard and pulled something bad! i look forward to following the journal!

Originally Posted by robmad View Post
    Hey--just found your journal! i didnt know you had one. i hope you dont mind if i follow you. i love your posts and find all of your reflections interesting. also i am always inspired by you because you have had some set backs (hernia surgery and injureis) and yet you seem to always look amazing and have a great attitude. i need some encouragement and inspiration these days as i am dealing with a groin pull and 4 weeks of inactivity! sucks! i was just finishsing week 4 of SS and doing awesome when i worked a bit too hard and pulled something bad! i look forward to following the journal!
    Thanks! Sorry to hear about your groin pull - how did you do it? how long are you to stay out of the gym for? are you able to train at all? stuff like that always seems to happen when you hit a nice stride with training and are 'in the mode'. You always come back stronger though, not sure if it is the break, or a mental thing because you get mad and ambitious because you couldn't train for so long. everytime stuff like that happens to me it's like 'well, I guess I'll be working on my calves this month' lol. hope you are up and running again soon!
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55

robmad will become famous soon enough. (+50) robmad will become famous soon enough. (+50) robmad will become famous soon enough. (+50) robmad will become famous soon enough. (+50) robmad will become famous soon enough. (+50) robmad will become famous soon enough. (+50) robmad will become famous soon enough. (+50) robmad will become famous soon enough. (+50) robmad will become famous soon enough. (+50) robmad will become famous soon enough. (+50) robmad will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I dont even really know how i did it since it didnt start to hurt until after the gym one day. I had done a typical ss workout with squats, bench and deads. the only abnormal thing was that during the deads, i was distracted while finishing the pull and i almost fell backwards with 200lbs in my hands. i had to right myself using all my core and i "think" that may have done something. dont know. NO ACTIVITY at all, says the doc, because every move puts a strain on the lower abdominal region. and he's right about that because i tried to even do curls and it hurt. so, i cant even train calves right now! lol! (well, not lol, really...) I am trying to have a good attitude about it since i normally only take a week off every 12 weeks or so, and now it's just exteneded a bit and maybe the total rest will be good for all my joints. i read in some of your posts that you take a month off annually and this made me feel better because it doesnt look like you are affected by missing time off. i hope the same for me. looking forward to following the journal. when is the baby due?

I dont even really know how i did it since it didnt start to hurt until after the gym one day. I had done a typical ss workout with squats, bench and deads. the only abnormal thing was that during the deads, i was distracted while finishing the pull and i almost fell backwards with 200lbs in my hands. i had to right myself using all my core and i "think" that may have done something. dont know. NO ACTIVITY at all, says the doc, because every move puts a strain on the lower abdominal region. and he's right about that because i tried to even do curls and it hurt. so, i cant even train calves right now! lol! (well, not lol, really...) I am trying to have a good attitude about it since i normally only take a week off every 12 weeks or so, and now it's just exteneded a bit and maybe the total rest will be good for all my joints. i read in some of your posts that you take a month off annually and this made me feel better because it doesnt look like you are affected by missing time off. i hope the same for me. looking forward to following the journal. when is the baby due?
    oh crap I did not realize that the groin pull was the abdominal region - you really can't do much then. My ab surgery took me out for around 6 months, it was awful, you're right even something as insignificant as a curl, you still need to rely on your abs. Even things you don't even think you need abs for, like opening a window, turn into a project. Hopefully you'll heal up quickly.

Baby is due the first week in April, so fairly soon.

Yes, the month off annually I skipped this year because I had so many setbacks between injuries, pregnancies and all, but normally, I find it really beneficial.
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55

Been thinking a lot about Max OT

When I felt and looked the best, people would comment on how fast I was out of the gym. I think I was actually doing HST at the time. The guys in the gym would be like 'woman you just got here how are you done!' 30 focused minutes - that was it. And I got lots of form compliments as well, probably because since my list was so short, I was putting my all into every move instead of mind wandering or thinking about the next exercise.

Another thing I find the Max OT and I have in common wanting to kick most of the unilateral crap. Again, all about saving time.

Where I did not save time was reading the materials - 160 page PDF!! lol

On that note, I think Max-OT is interruption friendly. I am going for 2 parts/ session, but realistically, I know my sessions, thought I keep them short as possible, do get interrupted. I can warm up on one body part and do my 6-9 sets or whatever. If I can get the next one too, great - I'm done for the day. If not, come back again later to try again. I can probably bang out each body part in 15-20 minutes. This was kind of the theme I kept each time I had a baby - one part/ session. Some say working out like that is not really beneficial, but you know what, it works for me and much better than the alternative (missing things totally).

Poor Arnold S. is in his own boat now it seems with the pyramiding thing. Max OT seems yet another modern program which agrees that pyramiding is a waste. My sets were always pyramids, but then a few straight heavy sets at the end. I guess I was ramping, I rarely pyramided back down. So was I really pyramiding/ ramping? Or kind of doing Max OT then? So all those sets I thought I was doing were really just warm-ups/ acclimation sets? hmmmmm.....

I was freaking over 5 day schedule and having to have an 'arm day' thing? No problem! After reading the PDF, it seems you can set up your routine however you need, provided that it follows the parameters.

i wonder if their squat thing means I can have an extra squat day? I wrote to the creators and hopefully will hear back on that. I am willing to give the program a go, but would feel a lot better if I can get a bit more volume on legs - 4-6 reps has never been shown to cut the mustard for me.

The bigget thing with this will be the mental focus. Me, on a full night of sleep, and an uninterrupted session - not a problem. But, with the kids, most sessions are more like 'got 3 hours sleep, stop every few minutes to tend to kids'. So in theory, a short list sounds good, but the 5 sets (in various other programs) sort of guarantees that I am not going to flop out on aaaaaalll sets. If I test drive Max OT, I will be missing the 'intensity' part (like, the main point haha) as my intensity ability is fast dwindling as baby grows. But I might give it a go just for timings sake anyway.

Well, I am not logging this week here as it was a bust and I don't want to wade through a bunch of crap when later trying to find some routines I had that did work lol. Tried something new, didn't work out, had miserable sessions that took too long and didn't accomplish much.

Tinkering around with a few other things this week - I am actually saving MAX- OT test for a few weeks from now when 2 sets (done probably just moderately) will be sufficient. I will call it MIN-OT haha. But still keep the same rest periods and all so I can see how long it would take.

Thanks so much gobbles23 for suggesting Max-OT - I am really excited about trying it out.
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55

rlw31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rlw31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rlw31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rlw31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rlw31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rlw31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    great workouts

I worked on week one of 'The Female Training Bible' here on bb.com last week - 3 moderate sets of 8, very basic and minimal.

Female Training Bible
    Was ok for now - particularly when trying to train in the evenings. Mornings, I'm all good - but as the day goes on, feet swell and can't bend, veins popping out everywhere, hernias swell and it hurts to lean forward at all.... I am SO done being pregnant lol. This is actually not really interruption-friendly though. It really *would have taken* me no time for each session, but when the session is constantly broken up (kiddos) - it really lacks any intensity at all. No log for this and I have no idea how long each workout would have actually taken - each session was interrupted literally every few minutes - one of those weeks. And that's just my life, so I have to be able to roll with that. Next. lol

Max OT
    Ok so on to the good stuff . I am glad I was told before that the first few sessions can frustrating/ underwhelming since you really only get one shot to knock out the muscle, and you don't know what it is going to take yet. I am used to that feeling by now with the pregnancy, and of course that is also a constant theme when you are switching up your routine every week as I have been doing.

This IS interruption friendly. Very much so. I can knock out a body part in 15 minutes! If things are going badly and I have to stop for a long time, pick it up later, nothing lost. Extra minute or two rest time when interruptions happen also not a problem - just means I might be able to go a little heavier.

Best yet, Not a single workout took more than 30 minutes and the all had potential to be broken up even from that if needed. I felt like I needed more sets - but that is because I cannot work anywhere near my max right now - that will change.

Back/ Biceps
    I was pretty happy here. Rack chins are super-hard for me right now - 4-6 reps perfect. I actually found no row I could do without belly in the way, so there is the high cable row sticking out like sore thumb - should've tried Yates row. Single arm stuff was not a time sucker when only a couple of sets of 6 reps. Numbers were way off on this (could have handled more), but still felt ok about it.

Rack Chin 3x4-6
    High Cable Row 2 x 6
    Single Arm Row 2 x 6
    Alternating Dumbbell Curl 2 x 6
    Barbell Curl 2 x 6

Time: 24 minutes

Legs/ Calves
    Now this one left a lot to be desired - and that was probably intensity. I was friggin angry after this session lol. I did this first thing in the morning before all the pains and swellings start - and I am literally about 75% stronger at this time! So numbers were off.

The leg work is only thing that worries me about the program. My upper half does well hard and heavy, 99% of the time. But my lower needs volume, just for daily life. I have been in the situation where I am full-squatting 205, yet burning out going up a long flight of stairs quickly. Also, my legs look better with the volume. So for now, in addition to this leg day, I put a quick volume leg thingy on shoulder day - since I knew this day would not be intense with all the restrictions. Will try the program as it is written when I do it in full though, who knows that one intense day might be good for a while.

Squat 3 x 6
    Leg Press 2 x 6
    SLDL 2 x 6
    calves (standing) 2 x 8
    calves (seated) 2 x 8 (sorry, I can't seem to fatigue calves in under 8 reps!

Time: 25 minutes

Chest/ Triceps
    Again, very tough to say how this is really going to be until I have the correct loads.

On one hand I kind of feel like, I should really be doing 5 sets of the same compound move, instead of a few each of different exercises. But on the otherhand, I think having only a max of 3 sets ensures that I keep focus. I saw '1 set of dips' and was like 'why bother' and thought of adding a set. But for the first time in ages, I did them unassisted (with the extra pregnancy weight!). Had I had several sets, that so would not have happened.
    Bench 3 x 6
    Incline bench 2 x 6
    Dip 1 x 4
    Tricep Pressdown 2 x 6
    Lying Tricep Press 2 x 6
    Seated Overhead Press 1 x 6

Time: 28 minutes

Shoulders + Volume Legs
    Volume legs is not playing by the rules here, but I am not maxing out on legs 1 day while pregnant and really needed some more volume to compensate. I thought for the leg volume work, I could do some kb swings, maybe a set or 2 of 20 rapid fire squats, whatever I have time for and feel like that day (while pregnant). When they time comes, will play by the rules.
    Military press 3 x 6
    DB Press 2 x 6
    DB Side Laterals (was no-go for heavy with these shoulder - did shrugs for the first time ever instead) 2 x 6
    Sumo Squat 3 x 10
    HGR 2 x 6
    Extension 2 x 6

Time: 15 minutes for shoulders only, 30 minutes for the whole thing

Ok, so when I start back for real, I think I can't go wrong with either this or 5/3/1. Will gain strength back for sure on either program, they are both short and easy to work into the day (I say that now haha, let's see how i feel with newborn and 2 hours of sleep
    MAX OT makes sense to me - in all the stuff I have been reading, concensus says that top sets are all that matter for muscle strength/ growth. So with MAX OT, we are cutting straight to the chase with a smart warmup and short, intense workout. Even if I wanted to do volume oriented, it would not fit time/ endurance-wise I am sure once baby comes, so I am pretty excited about my post-partum choices.

Originally Posted by rlw31 View Post
    great workouts
    thanks!
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55

you are to be commended for being so active towards the end of your pregnancy. i remember that i stopped lifting by the time the third trimester came along. and i was not big at all (this tall lady had little bellies during pregnancies!) and i still quit due to fatique. i am interested in learning about MAX OT and i grabbed the file you posted on it. as soon as i am better and back 100% i may look into it.

you are to be commended for being so active towards the end of your pregnancy. i remember that i stopped lifting by the time the third trimester came along. and i was not big at all (this tall lady had little bellies during pregnancies!) and i still quit due to fatique. i am interested in learning about MAX OT and i grabbed the file you posted on it. as soon as i am better and back 100% i may look into it.
    Thanks! I'm actually really lucky at the end of this pregnancy, I was not able to stay this active at this point in the other pregnancies. This one took its toll in the beginning, but now is smooth sailing - as long as I can get my sessions in the morning before all the swellings and other pregnancy joys begin

Can I just say I LOVE Max OT. Never takes more than 25-30 minutes. I actually stuck with it a couple of weeks so I could get a better feel (still not with my max loads of course, but a little more challenging). I'm still not totally sold on the 1/ week heavy but short leg day, but for everything else - I love it. With Max OT, it's like, I hear the kids getting up - but can run down and knock out my back in 15 minutes! If I can get another 10, can get biceps too. If not no biggie, might come back for chest later in the day if can get another 15 minute break. Back, in particular, seems to really love the heavy low rep work.

People seem to have strong opinions one way or another on Max OT. Some swear by it and use it as their 'base' program for years. I'm hoping that will be true for me. This is the ultimate 'mom with young kids' program haha. There is one guy on the forums who swears he lost 10 pounds of muscle on Max OT. Since supposedly you need closer to 8 reps for hypertrophy. I tend to go for 6 reps, to stay right on the edge of that, and have heard of people taking it to 8-10 for some lifts if they saw that happening and the issue was corrected (which of course is outside the parameters, but if it works it works).

I suppose personal training styles are a big factor in if a program like this will work. For me, I find that when I am doing 5+ sets, I space out. In all honesty, a good portion of those sets are wasted (unless very focused that day) - I am thinking of the next set, rushing through etc. Maybe someday when I have more free time to train, but with Max OT I am learning that less can be way more.

How is your injury healing up? You must be getting ready to start back soon?
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55

Originally Posted by ilovethe80s View Post
    Thanks! I'm actually really lucky at the end of this pregnancy, I was not able to stay this active at this point in the other pregnancies. This one took its toll in the beginning, but now is smooth sailing - as long as I can get my sessions in the morning before all the swellings and other pregnancy joys begin

Can I just say I LOVE Max OT. Never takes more than 25-30 minutes. I actually stuck with it a couple of weeks so I could get a better feel (still not with my max loads of course, but a little more challenging). I'm still not totally sold on the 1/ week heavy but short leg day, but for everything else - I love it. With Max OT, it's like, I hear the kids getting up - but can run down and knock out my back in 15 minutes! If I can get another 10, can get biceps too. If not no biggie, might come back for chest later in the day if can get another 15 minute break. Back, in particular, seems to really love the heavy low rep work.

People seem to have strong opinions one way or another on Max OT. Some swear by it and use it as their 'base' program for years. I'm hoping that will be true for me. This is the ultimate 'mom with young kids' program haha. There is one guy on the forums who swears he lost 10 pounds of muscle on Max OT. Since supposedly you need closer to 8 reps for hypertrophy. I tend to go for 6 reps, to stay right on the edge of that, and have heard of people taking it to 8-10 for some lifts if they saw that happening and the issue was corrected (which of course is outside the parameters, but if it works it works).

I suppose personal training styles are a big factor in if a program like this will work. For me, I find that when I am doing 5+ sets, I space out. In all honesty, a good portion of those sets are wasted (unless very focused that day) - I am thinking of the next set, rushing through etc. Maybe someday when I have more free time to train, but with Max OT I am learning that less can be way more.

How is your injury healing up? You must be getting ready to start back soon?
    i am getting back this week, slowly. lower body is going to have to wait for another few weeks, as is heavy weights in general. i did seated 10lbs db work yesterday for bis and tris and i am sore from just that (first time back) i am planning on doing light stuff for another month so i dont lose any more muscle.
    i was loving starting strength so much until this injury. now i am questioning the intensity for someone my age and after having 2 c-sections. i am not sure that lifting so intensely is good for someone who already has a compromised mid-section--hence the injury. i was doing deads around 200lbs when i got hurt and now i think....why? what was the point of going THAT heavy? just to say i could? and now here i am injured. so, i was thinking of going back to a more bb style of lifting rather than strength for awhile until i am totally healed, and even then, i would definitely take it easier. i jumped into that ss program like there was no tomorrow and for the first month it was awesome. then i got hurt. not worth it.
    i agree with you that less is more when it comes to lifting. the 30 minute training sessions sound great with max ot. i have two kids (4 and 6) and even though i go to a gym, the entire time i am there i feel bad about leaving the kids. the quicker i can get in and out, the better. that is what i loved about ss. three days a week, less than an hour a session. that's my kind of workout!

i am getting back this week, slowly. lower body is going to have to wait for another few weeks, as is heavy weights in general. i did seated 10lbs db work yesterday for bis and tris and i am sore from just that (first time back) i am planning on doing light stuff for another month so i dont lose any more muscle.
    i was loving starting strength so much until this injury. now i am questioning the intensity for someone my age and after having 2 c-sections. i am not sure that lifting so intensely is good for someone who already has a compromised mid-section--hence the injury. i was doing deads around 200lbs when i got hurt and now i think....why? what was the point of going THAT heavy? just to say i could? and now here i am injured. so, i was thinking of going back to a more bb style of lifting rather than strength for awhile until i am totally healed, and even then, i would definitely take it easier. i jumped into that ss program like there was no tomorrow and for the first month it was awesome. then i got hurt. not worth it.
    i agree with you that less is more when it comes to lifting. the 30 minute training sessions sound great with max ot. i have two kids (4 and 6) and even though i go to a gym, the entire time i am there i feel bad about leaving the kids. the quicker i can get in and out, the better. that is what i loved about ss. three days a week, less than an hour a session. that's my kind of workout!
    I so know what you mean with the core and the heavy lifts - it is beyond frustrating. Had to do bar squats which were nothing on my legs, but to slowly build up the core strength again.

Would a belt or external device help? I do not feel bad about belting anything over my bodyweight after the surgery. It's not a case of the abs not being strong enough because of training improperly, it is them not being strong enough because they are mangled and patched and sewn together with pieces of mesh lol. Do they have some sort of a support device for your injury? It took my a year to get to a bodyweight squat and dead as they create a lot of intra-abdominal pressure, and honestly was not willing to push my core any farther than that. But once I started belting/ splinting the abs, my lifts were higher than they were before and I feel fine with it.

That is a tough call on starting strength - maybe only do it for 6 or so weeks at a time? Anything like that, power moves, oly lifts etc, they are so tempting and rewarding but always have to think if the benefits outweigh the risks. I think if there is any way to splint your injury (once you recover enough) and do what you love, go for it. Haha we'll be like those 70 year old former bodybuilders you see in the gym sometimes and literally every part of their body is taped and mummified as they hobble around the gym

I have been drooling over sled drags and tire flipping workouts. Am moving back to my old house with a yard (have been on location for 2 years) and thought that sort of training would be so much fun - and a great way to train outside while the kids are running around playing. But I have to worry about how that is going to stress the core, and I wish I didn't have to worry about it. It's nice to be carefree and just be able to do anything, you know?

Well, so far I have found 5/3/1 (might not get as long rest times as the program requires, but I do what I can) and Max OT to be great in terms of the 30 minute thing. I am in the midst of 1 more test - S.A.I.S and it is VERY promising. Short, intense and though I don't totally agree with all of the principals, I find it very rewarding, feel on top of the world afterward and it fits in 25-30 minutes. Hope to have a log of that by the end of the week. Yeah, the 30 minute workouts are good stuff
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55

I just had to log this 'workout' this morning. Please tell me I am going to look back on these things one day and laugh. Please. lol.

Kids up at crack of dawn. I put on the Hot Wheels cartoon, made a big tray of breakfast foods and set everyone up with crafts. And was thinking I could get in my 25 minute workout. WRONG.

First, we made colored macaroni necklaces yesterday since my 4 year old was home sick from school. Once I started my warmup, little one could not find his and was wandering around crying desperately for it. So we search all over and found it and then he was crying bc I was not wearing mine to match, so I went and found mine too, and all seemed well for about 5 minutes.

Then my 4 year old finishes his juice (wtf I just refilled everything so this wouldnt happen!) and he is standing at the fence slurping that last drizzle as loud as he can, backwashing and slurping that up and it is like nails on a chalkboard (not to mention disgusting!). Then he is like 'oh alright, I'll just get my own'. I entertained the idea for a second - might actually be worth 15 minutes cleaning the kitchen and a lost jug of juice to finish a set of deads. But most likely would also be laundry, drama, etc so got the juice.

Now my 4 year old wants his own space and little one won't leave him be (he is stringing beads). The little one has this ironman thing on his shirt and the older one told him he is not iron man. So the little one is crying 'Mom! Jack says I am not iron man! But I am! Right mom? Right mom? Righ? Right?' Meanwhile, each time my 4 year old puts one more bead on the string (about every 30 seconds), he runs over with it to show me and insists I comment on his color choice. In addition, the Iron man thing is coming off of Fletcher every 3 seconds and he needs it back on. I must hve put it on at least a dozen times by now (note to self - that thing goes in the donation box tonight!)

I am trying to reassure the little one that he is iron man while finishing a set of deads. So then the little one got excited and ran smack into the wall edge by the door and cut open his cheek - deep! He's ok thank goodness, but for a moment thought we'd be headed to the E.R. Cleaned him up, assessed the damage, held and consoled him, probably like 30 minutes or so and he was back on his game.

After bandaging him, was going to give up and Corey Hart's 'Never Surrender' came on my little radio (LOLOLOL!) so I take it as a sign and go and do another set and my older one sneezes to a full booger beard and mustache. And he is just sitting there happy as a clam looking at me with boogers dripping everywhere, both my 2 year old and I are just staring back at him like 'holy. freaking. crap'.

So, cleaned the boogers, now my 2 year old has this ironman thing that clips to his shirt and it keeps coming off and he keeps wandering over crying holding it till it goes back on. And the tape on the end of my 4 year old's bead thing is frayed so he can't get the beads on, and with his mature little 4 year old mind now he goes 'look mom, this keeps me busy. If you want your space, we need to fix this!' And here comes Fletch again, shaking his sippy cup because it is empty.

So now they are playing wonderfully together. I got to sit and compose this and they are enjoying each others company very much. Little one has a black eye. Just wanted to record one of these 'workouts' so I can look back at it later and laugh. I hope!
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    And to think we thought we didn't have time to workout BEFORE the kiddos came along? My 9 month old is going through major separation anxiety and the world comes to an end if I attempt to even go to the bathroom let alone leave him in a gym daycare for 45 minutes.

Would love to hear how your tire flipping/sled dragging comes along, my husband is desperate for sled dragging but not sure how to set this up without causing some major havoc in the yard!!!

Originally Posted by sonti View Post
    And to think we thought we didn't have time to workout BEFORE the kiddos came along? My 9 month old is going through major separation anxiety and the world comes to an end if I attempt to even go to the bathroom let alone leave him in a gym daycare for 45 minutes.

Would love to hear how your tire flipping/sled dragging comes along, my husband is desperate for sled dragging but not sure how to set this up without causing some major havoc in the yard!!!
    The 9 month mark - I found from that age until like 18 months mine were the clingiest. Actually the younger one went through that phase a lot quicker - since the older one kept him somewhat distracted. Hopefully things will be easier once you have your home gym and he can have you in plain view while you are training (or even better - be able to sneak in a workout during naps). Yeah when my mom or my child-free friends tell me they do not have time to work out because they work 9-5 and are tired I want to scream lol.

Will hopefully have some sled drag/ tire flippin' log going soon! I move back at the end of May. I've been researching like crazy (though I suppose there is not much to know - grab a tire and flip it over haha) but just things like what size tire to get, where to go for all that stuff, etc. I've heard you can get a 75lb sandbag for like $10 - so maybe will pick up 2 of those - one in a weight good for deads and another that I can get overhead (and hopefully not drop lol). The tires - got to figure out what kind to get and where. The sled I'll load with a sandbag and a couple of kids Figure I'll store everything in the shed, or in the garage (has a door that enters through the back yard). Hopefully will not wreck the lawn too much, the sled I suppose will be the most hazardous to the grass, but I'll try to keep all the goings on to one spot. My nosy neighbor is going to have a field day.
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55