Thread: Set Points

ChickenTikka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Set Points

I read this in a pdf called, "How to absolutely positively know when your body is burning fat."

Our bodies establish weight “set points” over time. Once you lose weight, you need to maintain that weight for at least two years before your body adjusts fully to its new set point. This is why most dieters gain back the weight they have lost, and even a few more pounds.
    Your body has to be taught at a metabolic level to be comfortable at a lower weight set point.

I found this interesting... Is this convention? Broscience? Or backed by experience.

Personally I've stayed below 200 pounds for over two years now so I guess I have established a set point there. I'm now 180 and wouldn't mind setting it there. I always used my tighter jeans to set these weight points. Every successful diet usually involves me buying a tighter pair of jeans and when those become uncomfortable I'm usually spurred back into action. But I'd be curious to learn more about the metabolic part of this if there is one.

PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Interesting. Just curious do you know how they came up with the two year timeframe?
    BRAINS & GAINS

Strong Mind + Strong Body = UNSTOPPABLE

Originally Posted by PBateman2 View Post
    Interesting. Just curious do you know how they came up with the two year timeframe?
    No, all that is there is just that little paragraph which I copied/pasted. No citations.

andy2888m has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy2888m has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy2888m has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy2888m has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy2888m has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy2888m has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy2888m has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy2888m has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy2888m has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy2888m has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy2888m has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I took an intro to psych class and the prof talked a little bit about how the body had set points and your brain triggers you to eat more or less to stay at that point.. I wish she gave more details like the two year time period I'd be really interested, all she said was it can be changed over time
    Highest Weight: 310lbs
    Current Weight: 196lbs

Syracuse 2010

shersman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shersman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shersman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shersman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shersman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shersman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shersman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shersman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shersman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shersman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shersman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have heard a lot of theories on resetting the 'set point'

some people say its best to only lose 10% of your weight at once and then maintain before trying to lose more.

others claim that it has to do with maintaining any weight for a long period of time.

Im hoping that the 'set point' theory is true and I can actually find a way to regulate myself at a lower body fat %. I believe that it is purely a function of body type (endo/ecto/meso) and your lifestyle.

a sedentary person will always weigh more than somebody who is active in the same body type band. cals in vs. cals out

cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i dunno about this. in the past year ive went from 190, to 180, then to 160, then to 140's and ive never had a problem with rebound

2 years seems a bit excessive.. maybe it takes 2 years to re adjust proper eating habits to maintain weight but..
    Vegan

"there are ZERO conclusive and definitive peer-reviewed studies proving detrimental effects of phytoestrogens in dietary soy intake"

It sort of makes sense when you think of your bodies function of using what food it has in the long run. It makes sense that it will make adjustments for fat years and lean years but that overall it will zero in on a mass size and metabolic rate that it is comfortable with based on the amount of food you provide it over a long run period. 2 years is a solid long run.

DaBosse is on a distinguished road. (+10) DaBosse is on a distinguished road. (+10) DaBosse is on a distinguished road. (+10) DaBosse is on a distinguished road. (+10) DaBosse is on a distinguished road. (+10) DaBosse is on a distinguished road. (+10) DaBosse is on a distinguished road. (+10) DaBosse is on a distinguished road. (+10) DaBosse is on a distinguished road. (+10) DaBosse is on a distinguished road. (+10) DaBosse is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    http://www.biologiclabs.com/advice/d...?article_id=42
    this article talks about this in terms of bodybuilding/bulking good read for those of you interested in the theory(warning semi naked man on the left no homo)