Force-Recon12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Force-Recon12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Force-Recon12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Force-Recon12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Force-Recon12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Force-Recon12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Force-Recon12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Force-Recon12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Force-Recon12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Force-Recon12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Force-Recon12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

too much exercise?

I'm training for the Marine Corps. I'm currently recovering from a bout with tendinitis. Once summer starts, I'm kicking my training up a notch and I would like an opinion.

Monday/Wednesay:
    4:45 AM wake up and stretch
    5:00 AM 20 minute warm up jog
    7:00 AM Marine Corps Pt at the recruiting center(crossfit style)
    12:00 PM Traditional weight lifting with certain crossfit exercises added in
    5:30 PM Marine PT

Tuesday:
    4:45 wake up and stretch
    5:00 AM Quarterdeck style workout(exercises such as pushups, crunches, mountain climbers, squats, burpees, running in place, etc., random reps and random exercises, just like a DI would do on the quarter deck) for 30 minutes
    5:30 20 minutes of HIIT running
    12:00 PM Traditional weight lifting with certain crossfit exercises added in
    3:00 PM Army PFT(it's a good workout, even if I am going into the Marine corps)

Thursday:
    4:45 AM wake up and stretch
    5:00 AM quarterdeck workout
    5:30 30 minutes of HIIT running
    12:00 PM Weight workout
    5:30 PM Marine PT

Friday:
    4:45 AM wake up and stretching
    5:00 AM 20 minute warm up jog
    7:00 AM Marine PT
    12:00 PM Weight Workout
    3:00 PM Army PFT

Saturday:
    6:00 AM Wake up and stretch
    6:30 20 minute warm up jog
    8:30 AM 1 hour of lap swimming
    2:00 PM 10 mile ruck march with a 40lbs backpack

after each major workout I'll be icing my joints to prvent injury, same with making sure I get at least 7.5 hours of sleep every night. sunday is a rest day and after 2 weeks of training, I plan to have a full week off to recover. Is this a good plan or am I asking for problems?

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    way too much - and you dont need all that weight training or double daily PT sessions

a better plan is in the physical training guide here:

www.sealswcc.com

mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I agree, it's too much.
    Honestly, it's the Marines... Run your ass off and do pullups.

Salty01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Salty01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agree with the above poster~

Force-Recon12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Force-Recon12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Force-Recon12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Force-Recon12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Force-Recon12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Force-Recon12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Force-Recon12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Force-Recon12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Force-Recon12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Force-Recon12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Force-Recon12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Even if I am getting adequate sleep, eating excellently, and taking that extra week off, it'd still be detrimental?

I'm not just training for boot camp, I'm training to earn the Physical Excellence or "Iron Man" award.

mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Force-Recon12 View Post
    Even if I am getting adequate sleep, eating excellently, and taking that extra week off, it'd still be detrimental?

I'm not just training for boot camp, I'm training to earn the Physical Excellence or "Iron Man" award.
    yes, even if a magical fairy sprinkles magic recovery dust all over you in your sleep. overtraining is overtraining.
    the marine pft consists of running, pullups, and situps so focus on them.

While that's true and that's what the PFt is based on, overall fitness is most important in my eyes. I have trained with Marines that swear by the 3 a day PT system and they do it 6 days a week with great results. I'm not saying I'll magically recover, but if I get enough rest, eat very well, and take rest when necessary, I think I'll be fine. Maybe I'm just stubborn.

why ask for people's opinions when you don't want them?

Oh no, don't get me wrong. I am not taking your opinion with a grain of salt.I'm merely asking around and comparing what other people are telling me, both military and civilian. So, don't think I'm ignoring you. Your information is helpful. It's just I took alot of time to get a schedule together and I don't want to drastically change it until I get every one of my facts straight.

Instant gratification... iamdumbpost's Avatar
    iamdumbpost is on a distinguished road. (+10) iamdumbpost is on a distinguished road. (+10) iamdumbpost is on a distinguished road. (+10) iamdumbpost is on a distinguished road. (+10) iamdumbpost is on a distinguished road. (+10) iamdumbpost is on a distinguished road. (+10) iamdumbpost is on a distinguished road. (+10) iamdumbpost is on a distinguished road. (+10) iamdumbpost is on a distinguished road. (+10) iamdumbpost is on a distinguished road. (+10) iamdumbpost is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Force-Recon12 View Post
    While that's true and that's what the PFt is based on, overall fitness is most important in my eyes. I have trained with Marines that swear by the 3 a day PT system and they do it 6 days a week with great results. I'm not saying I'll magically recover, but if I get enough rest, eat very well, and take rest when necessary, I think I'll be fine. Maybe I'm just stubborn.
    It comes to knowing your own body, but a lot of people truly don't hence why things like heart rate monitors where such a breakthrough (how many people know if their sympathetic and/or parasympathetic nervous systems are over trained).

Calisthenics can be done everyday though there are more optimal methods, weights can't; even if your doing a max effort on say Monday and a repetition day on Tuesday.

HIIT or rather intervals 2/days week is fine but if your resting heart rate is higher than 60 when you wake up, you should do some 1hr+ runs (working to no more than 2hrs and intensity at 81-88% of lactate threshold). This will improve cardiac output which if you disregard would neglect "overall fitness" and harden the walls of your heart.

Just a note army pt and marine pt are the same, maybe some exercises are called a different name but in the end a flutterkick is a flutterkick.

Some things about your rucking, make sure it's done with an alice pack or a ruck that's meant for rucking (metal frame). Don't run, try to ruck on a dirt path/xc.

I'd like to see progress overload, i.e. say for rucking
    increase weight weekly or distance

Goals also i.e. rucking again
    the standard is 15min/mi for rucking so for a 10mi ruck the cutoff is 2.5hrs

If you follow that plan and not sandbag than you'll be over trained before you hit 14 days.

http://www.stewsmith.com

Also check out total immersion swimming, it's a perfect analogy right now your trying to muscle it but it comes down to training smarter (ti=training technique) not harder.

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Force: When you say the other marines do three adays dos that include the weight training and the hitt runnig and the other routines you posted here?
    I agree with the others here you will be in overtraining before you finsh you program.
    The added problem is your tendinitus how bad is it?

well, actually I meant the PFt as in the fitness test required to get in: 2 mile run, puhsups in 2 minutes, and crunches in 2 minutes, while the Marine corps has pullups instead of pushups and a 3 mile run.

The Marines that I talked to did do weight training in the form of Crossfit, up to 3 times a day and still did running every day. My tendinitis is getting better. I feel slight discomfort every now and then in my shoulders and knees, but it's not that bad. I'm just icing the joints, taking an anti-inflammatory and just resting alot.

I was thinking, instead of doing alot of weight lifting with my mid day workout, doing another crossfit WOD. The ones that I am considering doing barely have anything to do with weight lifting, more like a cardio/bodyweight endurance kind of workout and most don't last more than 20 minutes. would this be better than an intense weight lifting session? I was just wondering if this would make any difference whatsoever.

Souzanian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Well...

If you do follow through with this plan, my advice would be to eat as hard as your working. You arent bodybuilding so, the 3 main components of recovery are Carbs, Sodium, and Potassium. Pound those and dont forget about the beloved protein. At least a gallon of water a day and do work! Thanks for serving!!

robert1977 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robert1977 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robert1977 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robert1977 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robert1977 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robert1977 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robert1977 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yeah people r overtrainin too much these days more is not better

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Guys, this kid isnt going to listen. If hes doing CF style workouts 3 times a day a significant knee or shoulder injury is just a matter of time.

And dont lecture me kid about your "experiences" as a wannabee, I've been in the military since before you were born.

Good luck.

Well, i have 7 meals planned out and if I'm not working out, I'll be either eating or icing my joints and resting for the next workout. About 3500 calories, 260g protein, 380g carbs, 100g fat.

at least 8 hours of sleep with a small nap in between the 12pm workout and the 5:30 pm workout, as well as plenty of rest for joints. I have everything in that regard planned out, but I am starting to think that it may be detrimental to my performance. I think I'll try it for just one week and see how I feel.

I missed the part where you are already laid up with tendonitis.

Your body is telling you the same thing we are.

Dont **** away your chance to enter the Corps. Every good Marine I ever worked with fought hard and fought smart.

yeah, I guess you're right.

How would you adjust what I planned to be able to allow me to accomplish my PFT goals while still maintaining my joints and overall fitness?