YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000)

Quick question on lateral raises...

Doing some sitting front/side lateral raises at the moment with some dumbells but was wondering if you should keep your shoulder blades squeezed together throughout the movement?

Reps given

3MGS6 is just really nice. (+1000) 3MGS6 is just really nice. (+1000) 3MGS6 is just really nice. (+1000) 3MGS6 is just really nice. (+1000) 3MGS6 is just really nice. (+1000) 3MGS6 is just really nice. (+1000) 3MGS6 is just really nice. (+1000) 3MGS6 is just really nice. (+1000) 3MGS6 is just really nice. (+1000) 3MGS6 is just really nice. (+1000) 3MGS6 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I don't.
    For lateral raises make sure that elbow is higher than wrist,to make sure that medial delts are stimulated more.OP at the top of the movement make sure your pinky is higher than thumb,like pouring water from a jug.

Yes. I'm bigger than you. hessunit's Avatar
    hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by 3MGS6 View Post
    I don't.
    For lateral raises make sure that elbow is higher than wrist,to make sure that medial delts are stimulated more.OP at the top of the movement make sure your pinky is higher than thumb,like pouring water from a jug.
    This.^^^ But as with many other exercises I would still focus on keeping your shoulders back and chest high. Good posture helps make good clean lifts and minimizes potential for injury.
    Lift smart.

I rear ended a car this morning...the driver that got out of the other car was a dwarf !!
    He looked up at me and said "I am NOT Happy!"
    So I said, "Well, which one ARE you then?"
    That's how the fight started.

"The two best activities for your health are pumping and humping"
    Arnold Swarzenegger

....done. Phew.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I maintain proper posture. Scapular retraction is not necessary.

Also - there is no such thing as a front lateral raise.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

Corsaire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Corsaire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Corsaire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Corsaire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Corsaire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Corsaire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Corsaire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Corsaire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Corsaire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Corsaire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Corsaire will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'll add another question to the topic. Should you do them slowly (3 secs up, 3 secs down) or fast?
    I know when I do them fast I can lift more weight but it's easier to cheat.

FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Corsaire View Post
    I'll add another question to the topic. Should you do them slowly (3 secs up, 3 secs down) or fast?
    kinda answered your own question there...pushing weight is cool, doing same weight in controlled movement is much better. Allowing a pause at the top of the motion to squeeze the muscle is kick @ZZ...might need to drop down in weight a little, do it right...
    FAO

Stay Healthy...

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Corsaire View Post
    I know it sounds wishy washy, but a little of both. Power it up with a slight acceleration, then do the negative slower. You get the most bang for the buck (optimal benefits)this way.
    Time To Re-Schedule

imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I say no. I believe it is better for delt isolation to not only push up but out on the side laterals.
    akkxn - just lift heavy ****.

YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000) YuMadThough is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I gotta do em for physio at the moment for a muscle imbalance around my shoulder blade, by front/later raises i mean out to the side and front about 2 o'clock from facing forwards.

After reviewing some anatomy it seems to make sense to keep your shoulder blades together, i mean the function of the delts is to raise the arm or elbow up to shoulder height right so i would of thought any higher would activate the traps.

By keeping your back loose and just raising your arm upwards and outwards the upper/middle traps get recruited alot whereas if you keep your shoulder blades together then you constantly keep your traps tight which would minimise their involvement and make the deltoids work harder.

surely?
    Last edited by Ace_2004; 04-23-2009 at 09:48 AM.

Bump

Bentride will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bentride will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bentride will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bentride will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bentride will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bentride will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bentride will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bentride will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bentride will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bentride will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bentride will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Tyrbolift View Post
    I know it sounds wishy washy, but a little of both. Power it up with a slight acceleration, then do the negative slower. You get the most bang for the buck (optimal benefits)this way.
    ^^^This. And yes, whenever i squeez my shoulder blades together i feel it work my delts twice as much.

hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've noticed that keeping your shoulders back (essentially keeping goos posture), helps hit my medials better than if I assume my normal, slightly slouched, shoulders rounded forward position. I have to use slightly lower weight when doing this, but the payoff is worth it.
    Keep on hulkin'.

I won't quit till no shirt will fit.

TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000)
    Do them slow with proper form, pause at the side for two seconds then lower at the same rate.
    Owe:

dunkalicious

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Ace_2004 View Post
    Doing some sitting front/side lateral raises at the moment with some dumbells but was wondering if you should keep your shoulder blades squeezed together throughout the movement?
    Nope, no point in squeezing your shoulder blades together.

Like Hulkinout said, keeping your shoulders pushed backwards (good posture, chest out) hits the medial delts harder.

Example:-

Imagin what would be happening if you just let your shoulder blades be nice and loose when doing lat raises...whenever you raise your arms it'll mostly be the traps that will be contracting & relaxing which would seem to take most of the strain off the delts.

Whereas if you keep your shoulder blades together so your traps are constantly contracted n nice and tight then it should make sense that more stress would be on the delts because your back is tigher and more stable..your arms n shoulders get minimal assistance from the back muscles.

Last edited by Ace_2004; 05-06-2009 at 08:37 AM.

Original Neanderthal theapexxxx's Avatar
    theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Keeping your shoulders back and chest out does contract the traps to a degree. It sounds like your saying flex your traps as hard as you can. Which would be pointless because its taking away the concentration from the delts. Just keep shoulders back, chest out (proper form) is enough trap contraction without it being a distraction.

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OP
    If you want to minimize your trap involvement, do them one-handed.

nolimitlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thats exactly what i do, as previously i used to do lateral raises with both arms simultaneously, now however i focus on one deltoid at a time and its worked better for me as now my middle deltoid especially is sore for days later. So id recommend to doing lateral raises with one arm at a time like doing bent over dumbell rows.
    Pumping Metal To pump Iron

Example...

Imagin what would be happening now if you let your shoulder blades move freely and loosly when doing lat raises...the traps would contract n relax everytime you raise your arms and most likely be aiding the movement which would probably take some stress off the delts.

Whereas if you keep your traps nice and tight through out the movement with your shoulder blades contracted then it makes your back more rigid n stable which i imagin would place more stress onto the deltoids by making them have to work harder because the other muscles in the back aren't moving or assisting in any way.

bump