View Poll Results: What bodyfat percentage do you let yourself get to before cutting?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 10

4 22.22%
  • 11-13

7 38.89%
  • 14-16

3 16.67%
  • 17+

4 22.22%
    Weakling! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Weakling! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Weakling! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Weakling! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Weakling! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Weakling! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Weakling! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Weakling! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Weakling! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Weakling! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Weakling! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Should I Cut/Change Things Round?

Hi all,

Looking at myself in the mirror and thinking I have put on quite a bit of fat over the last year. A year ago I was 50lbs lighter but by bodyfat was probably around 7% and I would estimate mine is around 14% now (have a look at recent progress pics for your own opinion, should you want to see where I'm at). This is only guesswork but judging from my abs still being quite visible I think around 14.

My waist is quite blocky from adding fat and also muscle from lots of heavy compound lifts. Currently measures around 35 when properly relaxed and not at all sucked in, which I think seems like a very large measurement considering I have little fat elsewhere and am only 5'9 in height. Does this seem quite large to people here? Bearing in mind I am carbed right up and have been bulking for a full 14 months non stop.

For the last year or so I have really been chasing numbers, desperately trying to add weight and to be honest being a bit obsessive about the scales and measurements. This has worked as I have made huge progress but it also now means I hate the idea of losing any weight. I have always had the target of 200lbs in my mind and I am loathed to stop bulking at 190lbs and cut down 15lbs or so. Obviously whether I cut or not is down to how I feel and personal opinion however I was interested in what other people on the forum might do in my situation. I

Where I have been bulking up and trying to do this as quickly as poss, I have limited cardio to practically nothing, which I know isn't good. I have however kept an eye on my blood pressure, heart rate and have a good general level of fitness from playing some tennis and squash.

Also I train in the evening at around 8.30 until 10 (currently just 3 times a week) then have a big weight gainer shake (followed by oats and milk an hour later) close to bed which may not be helping the fat gain.

So my questions are:

1. What do you think my bodyfat % is roughly judging from my recent pics, as I don't trust the machine at my gym
    2. Does 35" waist seem pretty damn large for someone my height?
    3. If you were in my shoes, would you continue bulking or cut down a bit before bulking again?
    4. If I do cut down around 10% bodyfat, how much muscle do you expect I would lose as I have never properly cut before?
    5. Is the time I train combined with the high calorie shake going to have a negative impact on my bodyfat levels?

Sorry for the long post. Always like to make sure I explain my situation as everyone is different and if I just asked should I cut or not, the replies I would get wouldn't be much use.

Thanks as always guys, look forward to your opinions.

Weakling! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Weakling! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Weakling! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Weakling! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Weakling! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Weakling! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Weakling! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Weakling! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Weakling! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Weakling! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Weakling! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    bump

Bump once more...

selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000)

Smile opinion

Dude ,I looked at your photos...you look ripped to me but by the way your stating your question I think you feel you need to cut.....If I was you I would continue to eat the same and if I wanted to drop fat I would eat a clean as possible with the same calorie intake and increase cardio.....I'm guessing by the way you responded... your not crazy about cardio but an hour a week would probably work wonders...I feel your bf is 12%.......my opinion....Good Luck Man....Self

tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    1. What do you think my bodyfat % is roughly judging from my recent pics, as I don't trust the machine at my gym

I think your bodyfat is around 14%

Yeah, I think you *should* be 32..

3. If you were in my shoes, would you continue bulking or cut down a bit before bulking again?

Cut.

4. If I do cut down around 10% bodyfat, how much muscle do you expect I would lose as I have never properly cut before?

You probably wont loose much, I liked this guys cut technique
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=114920631

5. Is the time I train combined with the high calorie shake going to have a negative impact on my bodyfat levels?

?
    The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

CCCP77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CCCP77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CCCP77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CCCP77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CCCP77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CCCP77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CCCP77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CCCP77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CCCP77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CCCP77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CCCP77 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Well, the machines in the gym are fairly accurate, normally you add 2% to the total they give you. However, given that you are pretty muscular, I say 12-13%.

Yes, Dexter Jackson's is 28". . You should be 31-32.

Actually I am on my week 3 of cut diet and I was 165 (5.8) when I started to cut.

4. If I do cut down around 10% body fat, how much muscle do you expect I would lose as I have never properly cut before?
    If you do it right, then it will be minimum.

I dont think time of the day has anything to do with it, the shake may.

I would highly advise you to read this thread.

Outline of Dave Palumbo's Diet For Cutting
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5899101

This method is pain the butt, but if you stick with it, good things will come out of it. In some cases some reported muscle gains. Read that thread, you wont regret it.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice people. I think what I will do then is add in some light cardio 3 times a week, maybe just on the end of my weight lifting sessions for now. Will also limit simple carbs, particularly close to bed and keep bulking until I reach 210lbs or there abouts unless my bf levels get much above 16