joesatch is on a distinguished road. (+10) joesatch is on a distinguished road. (+10) joesatch is on a distinguished road. (+10) joesatch is on a distinguished road. (+10) joesatch is on a distinguished road. (+10) joesatch is on a distinguished road. (+10) joesatch is on a distinguished road. (+10) joesatch is on a distinguished road. (+10) joesatch is on a distinguished road. (+10) joesatch is on a distinguished road. (+10) joesatch is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Include both stiff-leg deadlifts and regular deadlifts in program?

Ok, so I've always done straight-leg deadlifts to hit my hams and lower back. (By "always" I mean the last 3 months )

I've seen now that barbell deadlifts work quads quads as well (but does not work lower back), so is it ok to include straight-leg deadlifts on my back day and regular deadlifts on my leg day?

Also, if I do: Squats and Deadlifts as my compound exercises on leg days, do I still need to include leg press?

Would this be OK for a leg day:
    Squat
    Deadlifts
    Standing Calve Raises
    Seated Calve Raises

Should I include isolation exercises for quads and hams as well?

Thanks
    I ALWAYS rep back!

OWE REPS TO: Low Blow

DSilent1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DSilent1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DSilent1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DSilent1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DSilent1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DSilent1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DSilent1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DSilent1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DSilent1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DSilent1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DSilent1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by joesatch View Post
    Ok, so I've always done straight-leg deadlifts to hit my hams and lower back. (By "always" I mean the last 3 months )

I've seen now that barbell deadlifts work quads quads as well (but does not work lower back), so is it ok to include straight-leg deadlifts on my back day and regular deadlifts on my leg day?

Also, if I do: Squats and Deadlifts as my compound exercises on leg days, do I still need to include leg press?

Squat
    Deadlifts
    Standing Calve Raises
    Seated Calve Raises

Thanks
    yeah but I would still leg press. As far as the iso exercises it depends. I would cut one of your calf exercises and go with squats, deads, seated calf raise and leg press. Throw in some hack squats if you feel like you need more.
    Rep 4 Rep.....u rep me I rep you back.

"I'm not making a banana bread, pastrami, cottage cheese sandwich, that would severely ruin my reputation" -Mitch Hedberg

OH-IO GO BUCKEYES

khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i do deads on back day and sldl on leg day

FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I hit regular deadlifts on back day and SLDL on leg day...
    FAO

Stay Healthy...

golfer86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) golfer86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) golfer86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) golfer86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) golfer86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) golfer86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) golfer86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) golfer86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) golfer86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) golfer86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) golfer86 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by FAO View Post
    I hit regular deadlifts on back day and SLDL on leg day...
    x2 just make sure both days have a decent amount of rest inbetween.
    Bob Cicherillo-its not how much you can lift, its how much you look like you can lift!, theres no line at the decline!

"working out is my partying
    protein shakes are my beer
    amino acids are my shots
    the pump is my drunk
    and the pain the next morning is my hangover"

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by joesatch View Post

Squat
    Deadlifts
    Standing Calve Raises
    Seated Calve Raises

Thanks

Regular deadlifts definitely work your lower back. Adding Deadlifts as a second quad exercise is a waste IMO. There are better QUAD exercises that are far less taxing, e.g. hack squats, leg press.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by golfer86 View Post
    x2 just make sure both days have a decent amount of rest inbetween.
    right on, nothing hurts like already sore hammies trying to do regular deadlifts...sucks
    FAO

Stay Healthy...

uxoriouswidow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uxoriouswidow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uxoriouswidow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uxoriouswidow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uxoriouswidow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uxoriouswidow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uxoriouswidow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uxoriouswidow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uxoriouswidow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uxoriouswidow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uxoriouswidow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by joesatch
    I've seen now that barbell deadlifts work quads quads as well (but does not work lower back)
    It most certanly does work lower back, ideally more so than quads. Locking out with a large weight is a hell of a lot tougher than initially pushing it away with your comparatively stronger quads.
    Last edited by uxoriouswidow; 02-20-2009 at 08:51 AM.