Closed Thread
Page 278 of 343 FirstFirst ... 178 228 268 276 277 278 279 280 288 328 ... LastLast
Results 8,311 to 8,340 of 10284
    illninofan21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) illninofan21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) illninofan21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) illninofan21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) illninofan21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) illninofan21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) illninofan21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) illninofan21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) illninofan21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) illninofan21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) illninofan21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Teflon_Don View Post
    He told me that 26 meals per day suits him best.

Originally Posted by Insight View Post
    Are you saying right now, or when I switch to the IF setup?

I just eat whenever I'm hungry and log it in nutritiondata.com. Recently though I've been trying to eat at more consistent times. I have no idea what those times are because I'm currently waking up at retarded hours and going to sleep at even more retarded hours. But whenever I'm hungry, I just eat.

Ghrelin goes up, food goes in my mouth. That's the plan.
    Ahh...well, perhaps you're eating more than you think? Even when logging your calories there's always room for error.

Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by illninofan21 View Post

Ahh...well, perhaps you're eating more than you think? Even when logging your calories there's always room for error.
    Could be. As far as I know I'm eating 1800 a day. Maybe it's really 2000. The solution is to go do 1600 a day, which might really be 1800.

Lyle McDonald says that when getting leaner most people have to go down to 10x bodyweight. I'm 163, so that would be 1630. there you go

illninofan21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) illninofan21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) illninofan21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) illninofan21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) illninofan21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) illninofan21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) illninofan21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) illninofan21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) illninofan21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) illninofan21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) illninofan21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The reason I brought that up is because I used to buy into the "multiple small meals throughout the day" jargon.

While I saw results, over-time I realized that I was over-eating and I ended up gaining lean-mass (silver lining) instead of cutting.

Personally, I couldn't do it without over-eating so that's why I like what I'm doing now...that and I still can't wrap my head around how someone would stall for so long, so I was looking at all the possibilities (one of which was the aforementioned).

EDIT: Just got done lifting. Neck vein popped out...never in the past two plus years of training have I seen that! I'm excited, yo.
    Last edited by illninofan21; 04-30-2010 at 02:00 AM.

NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I recently, and somewhat by accident, started eating fewer meals. I had been trying to eat 6 tiny meals, and now I eat 4. I'm way happier, never get cheat cravings, and I'm making way better progress. I know because of the 3 rules that if I do some extra cardio, I can go out and have fun on the weekend. It's awesome.
    Cutting reveals your true size i.e. it's time to lean bulk.

Long term goal is 175 at 8%.

Switching from weights to Gymnastic body weight only.

sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I find it so much easier to eat more smaller meals throughout the day. I have about 6. Keep in mind a "meal" might be a grilled cheese sandwich or a protein shake though. I have always kind of eaten like a bird though so it might just be me. Even when I have a ~1000 calorie meal, I'm hungry again within 2-3 hours.
    Intensity, Recovery, Nutrition, Sleep- the only things that matter.

BigfatRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigfatRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigfatRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigfatRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigfatRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigfatRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigfatRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigfatRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigfatRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigfatRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigfatRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by sportyaccordy View Post
    I find it so much easier to eat more smaller meals throughout the day. I have about 6. Keep in mind a "meal" might be a grilled cheese sandwich or a protein shake though. I have always kind of eaten like a bird though so it might just be me. Even when I have a ~1000 calorie meal, I'm hungry again within 2-3 hours.
    Have you ever had a 1,000 calorie meal of all lean meats?

in a world built on rules iDrive's Avatar
    iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I find it so much easier to eat more smaller meals throughout the day.
    Whatever works.

Even when I have a ~1000 calorie meal, I'm hungry again within 2-3 hours.
    When you get hungry is largely controlled by hormones. If you're used to eating every 2-3 hours you'll get hungry every 2-3 hours.

Nothing's wrong with eating every 2-3 hours most of the time when people mock the small meals throughout the day it's because they're usually bro's who think it's mandatory when it's not.
    You don't try to build a wall.
    You don't set out to build a wall.
    You don't say, "I'm going to build the biggest, baddest, greatest wall that's ever been built!".
    You don't start there.

You say, "I'm going to lay this brick as perfectly as a brick can be laid.".
    You do that every single day, and soon you'll have a wall.

sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by BigfatRob View Post
    Have you ever had a 1,000 calorie meal of all lean meats?
    Actually I do maybe 4-5 times a week. Especially on weekends... I'll just get a lb of salmon or chicken thighs, bake or fry em up and go to town. I have about 3-4 meals on weekends. U know, whatever works/I'm in the mood for.
    Intensity, Recovery, Nutrition, Sleep- the only things that matter.

Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by iDrive View Post
    Whatever works.

When you get hungry is largely controlled by hormones. If you're used to eating every 2-3 hours you'll get hungry every 2-3 hours.

Nothing's wrong with eating every 2-3 hours most of the time when people mock the small meals throughout the day it's because they're usually bro's who think it's mandatory when it's not.
    You gotta stoke the metabolic fire brah! It burns out if you go longer than 3 hours without eating.

Those analogies need to die yesterday. The human body is nothing like a wood-burning furnace, a car engine, a jet engine, or anything else manmade. FFS!
    NSCA-CSCS

My blog: http://www.worldsfittestblog.com/

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

“Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that bull and just play.” --Charlie Parker

BigfatRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigfatRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigfatRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigfatRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigfatRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigfatRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigfatRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigfatRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigfatRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigfatRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigfatRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Actually I do maybe 4-5 times a week. Especially on weekends... I'll just get a lb of salmon or chicken thighs, bake or fry em up and go to town. I have about 3-4 meals on weekends. U know, whatever works/I'm in the mood for.
    If I'm not mistaken chicken thighs have the most fat. Have you consumed 1,000 calories worth of lean chicken? Try that and tell me you're hungry again in 2-3 hours =/

christina916 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) christina916 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) christina916 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) christina916 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Okay so, is it unhealthy..or will I not lose body fat if I am 145 lbs 5'4" and:

1. eat 1300 calories a day max?
    2. Do cardio 2-3 times a week for 30 minutes with no strength training.

I ask about the calorie thing..because it seems that a lot of people are eating way more calories than that... BMR calculators usually put me around 1500 calories a day so my average of 1200-1300 daily puts me at a 200 deficit without any excercise already?

Originally Posted by christina916 View Post

I ask about the calorie thing..because it seems that a lot of people are eating way more calories than that... BMR calculators usually put me around 1500 calories a day so my average of 1200-1300 daily puts me at a 200 deficit without any excercise already?
    Cutting without some form of "strength" resistance/weight training seems like really stupid to me but eh, do as you wish. You know what you were recommended to do already.

wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

You have to follow all 3 rules for optimal results. If you do that you can go as low with your calories as you want to, as long as you can stick to it and maintain your strength.
    How to lose fat for Noobs: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129247741

in a world built on rules iDrive's Avatar
    iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You gotta stoke the metabolic fire brah! It burns out if you go longer than 3 hours without eating.

Those analogies need to die yesterday. The human body is nothing like a wood-burning furnace, a car engine, a jet engine, or anything else manmade. FFS!
    Fire burns fat... metabolism burns fat... they're the same!

Life on Earth... the Earth is round.... Mars is round.... Life on Mars!
    You don't try to build a wall.
    You don't set out to build a wall.
    You don't say, "I'm going to build the biggest, baddest, greatest wall that's ever been built!".
    You don't start there.

You say, "I'm going to lay this brick as perfectly as a brick can be laid.".
    You do that every single day, and soon you'll have a wall.

wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by iDrive View Post
    Fire burns fat... metabolism burns fat... they're the same!

Life on Earth... the Earth is round.... Mars is round.... Life on Mars!
    Your logic is undeniable.
    How to lose fat for Noobs: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129247741

I learned that the hard way last year...it wasn't a total loss though, as I gained some lean mass.

1+year of lean bulkin' ftw.

Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by illninofan21 View Post
    I learned that the hard way last year...it wasn't a total loss though, as I gained some lean mass.

1+year of lean bulkin' ftw.
    If someone prefers eating 24 times a day and it fits their schedule more power to them. I found out that I hated being a slave to tupperware and that reduced meal frequency works for me.
    NSCA-CSCS

My blog: http://www.worldsfittestblog.com/

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

“Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that bull and just play.” --Charlie Parker

christina916 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) christina916 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) christina916 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) christina916 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by wave_length View Post
    You have to follow all 3 rules for optimal results. If you do that you can go as low with your calories as you want to, as long as you can stick to it and maintain your strength.
    Would strength training somewhat be the equivalence of cardio on a treadmill on an incline and at a high resistance?

Would strength training somewhat be the equivalence of cardio on a treadmill on an incline and at a high resistance?
    It's better than nothing but for optimal muscle preservation (= optimal fat loss), anaerobic resistance training is best (rep range from 6 to 15).

It's better than nothing but for optimal muscle preservation (= optimal fat loss), anaerobic resistance training is best (rep range from 6 to 15).
    Would this be good? :

Workout A:
    Squat-3x5
    Bench Press-3x5
    Deadlift-1x5
    *2x8 Dips

Workout B:
    Squat-3x5
    Standing Military Press-3x5
    Power Cleans(or Bent Over Barbell Rows)-3x5
    *2x8 Chinups(palms facing you)

Week 1:
    Day 1: Workout A
    Day 2: Rest
    Day 3: Workout B
    Day 4: Rest
    Day 5: Workout A
    Day 6: Rest
    Day 7: Rest

Week 2
    Day 1: Workout B
    Day 2: Rest
    Day 3: Workout A
    Day 4: Rest
    Day 5: Workout B
    Day 6: Rest
    Day 7: Rest

Rotate between weeks 1 & 2.

**Should i be doing different reps/sets...since that is for getting huge vs lean muscle mass?

Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Rep range 6-15? What about going lower like 1-5 reps? I would have thought higher intensity, lower volume would work better when cutting or am i confused

Originally Posted by Confuzzl3dOn3 View Post
    Rep range 6-15? What about going lower like 1-5 reps? I would have thought higher intensity, lower volume would work better when cutting or am i confused
    Low reps and HEAVY weights is more suiting for experienced lifts who already know proper form and what not. I think noobs should spend some time in the rep ranges that Wave mentioned just for sake of good form and preventing injury.

Originally Posted by BigfatRob View Post
    Low reps and HEAVY weights is more suiting for experienced lifts who already know proper form and what not. I think noobs should spend some time in the rep ranges that Wave mentioned just for sake of good form and preventing injury.
    well then, thats where i shall be

Thanks!

Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000)
    well then, thats where i shall be

Thanks!
    I'm gonna differ from the status quo in this thread a bit.

While resistance training is obviously a big help for retaining lean mass while dieting, it isn't the ONLY form of exercise that you can take, especially if your goal isn't to retain as much lean mass as possible. (Although it should be).

For example, if the form of exercise you're the most passionate about is long distance running, you might want to focus on that and do the weight training as an aside to it. Keep in mind that you're at bodybuilding.com, which basically revolves 100% around resistance training, but it is certainly possible to lose weight without doing it, or doing it less than 3x a week. It depends on your fitness and athletic goals. Make sure you pick a form of exercise that you enjoy doing, not one you have to force yourself to keep doing. Perhaps running is your thing and you'd like to do more of that and less lifting weights. Alright.

BUT, the main thing that you really need to understand to make an intelligent decision is that cardio is not "better" for losing weight than weight training. People THINK that cardio is more effective because it's "harder," but this "hardness" translates into other adaptations that might not necessarily be your primary training goal. Doing lots of intense cardio is a great way to increase your aerobic capacity - it may not give any additional for weight loss per se, however, vs longer bouts of less intense cardio or resistance training. Cardio has its health benefits but keep in mind what your goal is - to lose weight.

For the rest of this post I will assume that you understand this and have decided you really want to focus on weight training for a while. Alright.

The last thing is that the routine you just posted - Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" - is not one I would personally recommend while trying to lose weight, male female or otherwise. I definitely can't handle squatting 3x a week and I doubt you will be able to either. Furthermore those are extremely technical exercises you're about to learn - power cleans and full ROM squats. They require a good understanding of the form or else you will hurt yourself. So be prepared for that.

You might enjoy something like all pro's "Simple Beginner Routine." It's a periodized routine and was the first routine I grew really well off of. You can find it in the Workout forum.

Keep in mind you can get good results with machines as well, but free weight exercises are much cooler and will make you feel more awesome. Way more awesome. Pick a balance that you can enjoy - if you really can't figure out how to do a freeweight exercise, for example (let's say barbell back squats), try the machine version instead, or try the leg press. Or get someone to try to teach you the right form.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Insight; 04-30-2010 at 06:16 PM.

DanThaDuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just out of curiosity, this may have been answered already but this is a massive thread, is there a specific reason why a three day split is better for keeping lean muscle?

Originally Posted by DanThaDuck View Post
    Just out of curiosity, this may have been answered already but this is a massive thread, is there a specific reason why a three day split is better for keeping lean muscle?
    no. i've heard of people with extremely low recovery time making the best progress on 2 days a week, and a lot of people find they can handle 4 days a week (or 5 if you're REALLY HARDCORE11). 3 is a nice middle ground though.

DanThaDuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Insight View Post
    no. i've heard of people with extremely low recovery time making the best progress on 2 days a week, and a lot of people find they can handle 4 days a week (or 5 if you're REALLY HARDCORE11). 3 is a nice middle ground though.
    Haha gotcha. Truth be told, I've been on the 5 days a week workout for most of the 2 years I've worked out. Figured I'd switch up my routine trying to get down on the body fat.

whatever you can recover from and progress on is best. if 5 is too much, cut down. if it's not, do that. i know a lot of people have trouble on a 5 day a week routine but if you can handle it, go for it.

Originally Posted by mehoolio View Post
    not bad[/QUOTE]

not bad
    It is all about the intake and output[/QUOTE]

It is all about the intake and output
    I try to limit my input a lot when I cant get to gym[/QUOTE]

Awww yeaaa, +3 to post count for you.

+1 to post count for me.

Closed Thread
Page 278 of 343 FirstFirst ... 178 228 268 276 277 278 279 280 288 328 ... LastLast