rozzr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rozzr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rozzr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rozzr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rozzr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rozzr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rozzr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rozzr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rozzr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rozzr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rozzr is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Training with muscle soreness

So i gave my chest a real good workout on tuesday and as such it is still pretty sore when i touch it - as are shoulders as obviously they get hit a bit during the chest workout.

I did legs yesterday and planned to do shoulders today, however, with the front of my shoulders and my triceps still a bit tender is it better to wait for them to fully recover or should i just go for it today anyway??

Thanks for any info!

Rory
    -///M-

TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Tear it up! Not bad to work with a little soreness. The muscles have already had a few days to repair and rebuild. As long as its not an injury, no reason to wait longer. Eventually teh soreness wont last nearly as long.

rozzr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rozzr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rozzr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rozzr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rozzr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rozzr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rozzr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rozzr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rozzr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rozzr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rozzr is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Cheers man, will go hit the gym in a bit then - looking forward to trying a new shoulder workout!
    -///M-

TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Go kill it!

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It'll be good to get a little blood running to the area.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

The Flying Scotsman tothemaxwell's Avatar
    tothemaxwell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tothemaxwell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tothemaxwell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tothemaxwell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tothemaxwell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tothemaxwell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tothemaxwell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tothemaxwell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tothemaxwell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tothemaxwell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tothemaxwell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agree. When you're not lifting try stretching the muscle lightly.
    build a better machine

tropo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tropo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tropo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tropo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tropo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tropo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tropo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tropo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tropo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tropo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tropo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by TonySturch View Post
    Tear it up! Not bad to work with a little soreness. The muscles have already had a few days to repair and rebuild. As long as its not an injury, no reason to wait longer. Eventually teh soreness wont last nearly as long.
    No reason to wait longer? How about recovery as a reason?

Why are you in such a hurry? This training philosophy will eventually bring you down.

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness, or DOMS, is not an indicator of how effective a workout is, nor is it an indicator of your recovery progress. Whats more, the OP is not asking about working the same muscles, he's talking about working muscles adjacent to ones he worked two days ago. In my opinion, theres no reason why he should not work shoulders two days after working chest. Its not like he's doing high volume full body workouts 4 times a week shredding the same muscles over and over at high frequency. Sorry, but I completely disagree with you on this.

A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    What the **** are you talking about?

No reason to wait longe? How about his muscles are still in full blown recovery mode!

Stretching or a little light lifting is fine. But absolutely not a hard workout.
    Every journey begins with a single step.

Originally Posted by A & B View Post
    What the **** are you talking about?

No reason to wait longe? How about his muscles are still in full blown recovery mode!

Stretching or a little light lifting is fine. But absolutely not a hard workout.
    Read my post directly above yours. The OP is talking about hitting adjacent muscles, not the same muscles.

Alinnyk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alinnyk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alinnyk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alinnyk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alinnyk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alinnyk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alinnyk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alinnyk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alinnyk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alinnyk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alinnyk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by rozzr View Post
    So i gave my chest a real good workout on tuesday and as such it is still pretty sore when i touch it - as are shoulders as obviously they get hit a bit during the chest workout.

I did legs yesterday and planned to do shoulders today, however, with the front of my shoulders and my triceps still a bit tender is it better to wait for them to fully recover or should i just go for it today anyway??

Thanks for any info!

Rory
    dont do full weight for delts, just work it out so that you get blood flow into the muscle and flush out the lactic acid buildup. and you can workout the part of your delt that isnt sore
    STFU & SQUAT

tropo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tropo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tropo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tropo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tropo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tropo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tropo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tropo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tropo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tropo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tropo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness, or DOMS, is not an indicator of how effective a workout is, nor is it an indicator of your recovery progress. Whats more, the OP is not asking about working the same muscles, he's talking about working muscles adjacent to ones he worked two days ago. In my opinion, theres no reason why he should not work shoulders two days after working chest. Its not like he's doing high volume full body workouts 4 times a week shredding the same muscles over and over at high frequency. Sorry, but I completely disagree with you on this.
    One day you'll learn the benefits of treating the body with some respect. It's not a machine, and rest and recuperation will pay dividends in the long run.

BTW, the OP mentioned his shoulders and triceps were still sore from his chest workout. What's the hurry? Train the muscles again when they are fully recovered and feeling good.
    Last edited by tropo; 09-11-2008 at 03:10 PM.

A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Read my post directly above yours. The OP is talking about hitting adjacent muscles, not the same muscles.
    He said his shoulders are still sore, and he wants to work his shoulders.

This is a ****ing brutal idea.

If your muscles are still sore at all, either take another off day or go really, really light.

I mean reduce the volume significantly and only to light sets, nowhere near failure. If his shoulders are still sore, they are still seriously in the recovery process. He shouldn't do anything more than a short light workout.
    Every journey begins with a single step.

Originally Posted by A & B View Post
    He said his shoulders are still sore, and he wants to work his shoulders.

This is a ****ing brutal idea.

If your muscles are still sore at all, either take another off day or go really, really light.

I mean reduce the volume significantly and only to light sets, nowhere near failure. If his shoulders are still sore, they are still seriously in the recovery process. He shouldn't do anything more than a short light workout.
    We posted the same stuff a few minutes apart.

Another point in addition to what you said. Why even bother with a recovery, very light workout? Better to wait for full recovery and then blast again for maximum gains don't you think?

Well, in my experience, Ive had times when Im sore for over a week. Ive worked through a little soreness just fine. There are plenty of people who work muscles twice a week, and some even more. I really dont think its that outlandish. Theres a big difference between having a little residual soreness and and having completely unrecovered muscle tissue.

We're just never going to agree on this, I can see. If thats youre train of thought, then great, go with that. Im sure there plenty of people that feel the same way. Personally thats not how I feel about this matter, and there are plenty of people in the world who agree with me as well. Two sides to the argument. Nice to see that youve got to resort to talking down to people and swearing like a truck driver to make your case... Stay classy.

tacoop is on a distinguished road. (+10) tacoop is on a distinguished road. (+10) tacoop is on a distinguished road. (+10) tacoop is on a distinguished road. (+10) tacoop is on a distinguished road. (+10) tacoop is on a distinguished road. (+10) tacoop is on a distinguished road. (+10) tacoop is on a distinguished road. (+10) tacoop is on a distinguished road. (+10) tacoop is on a distinguished road. (+10) tacoop is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by rozzr View Post

Thanks for any info!

Rory
    If this happens every week, I would look at switching things up a bit to allow for more recover. If it is a one time thing, I would just train through it. It won't make that big of a difference if it doens't happen regularly.
    http://www.best-bodybuilding-routine.com