jkd_stefan will become famous soon enough. (+50) jkd_stefan will become famous soon enough. (+50) jkd_stefan will become famous soon enough. (+50) jkd_stefan will become famous soon enough. (+50) jkd_stefan will become famous soon enough. (+50) jkd_stefan will become famous soon enough. (+50) jkd_stefan will become famous soon enough. (+50) jkd_stefan will become famous soon enough. (+50) jkd_stefan will become famous soon enough. (+50) jkd_stefan will become famous soon enough. (+50) jkd_stefan will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Exclamation Slight lower back pain, squat n deads

So i've been doing a split body routine for about 6months(when i first started) then i changed , a week and a half ago, for mark rippetoe's program. It was also the first time i had been doing squats and deadlifts in my life and i didnt work out my lower back nor my legs much before either.

Now i've had experienced people saying that my posture looks good when im doing squats n deads. If i do them with low weight it won't hurt. But when i put a decent amount i start to feel it a little bit in the right side of my lower back(when i squat its when i place the weight back on the rack), i could put even more weight its not my max, but itll just hurt more even if i can lift it.

Anyone had similar issues? if so what could i do to help fix it?

What I think it is, is jsut that my body is not used to these exercises.. Im planning on stopping squats and deadlifts for a week or just doing them with very low weights and hope itll get better next week.

Thanks guys !

2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000)
    describe the type of pain, dull vs sharp, how long it lasts, be more descriptive because different types lead to different causes. if its a sharp pain that wasnt ever there before and all of a sudden just hit u, u might have hurt ur back slightly.

can u bend down from the waiste without pain? the more info the better we can help you
    $

"No fck that, I'm not gonna miss any reps. I'll die before i miss a rep." - dynamik, #1

Bensauce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bensauce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bensauce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bensauce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bensauce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bensauce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bensauce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bensauce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bensauce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bensauce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bensauce is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    1. Take a week or 2 off from doing deads and squats

2. Focus on working out your lower abdominals.

3. Work on stretching your lower back for 5min a session (3x a day)

You'll feel a lot better after...if not see a doc or take advice from some of the other guys that post here.

jkd_stefan will become famous soon enough. (+50) jkd_stefan will become famous soon enough. (+50) jkd_stefan will become famous soon enough. (+50) jkd_stefan will become famous soon enough. (+50) jkd_stefan will become famous soon enough. (+50) jkd_stefan will become famous soon enough. (+50) jkd_stefan will become famous soon enough. (+50) jkd_stefan will become famous soon enough. (+50) jkd_stefan will become famous soon enough. (+50) jkd_stefan will become famous soon enough. (+50) jkd_stefan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I get a sharp pain for a second when I place the squat bar back on the rack, and after when I do deadlifts i get a dull pain at the same spot when i lift the bar. The first day i did them it didn't hurt me.

I can bend down from the waiste without pain. I get a very slight dull pain the day after at the same spot if i do the squat or deadlift movement even without weight. Nothing intense though.

after 2 days i'm pretty much okay i don't feel it anymore but if i do some squats again with the same amount of weight itll come back.

edit: just want to say i appreciate your feedbacks
    Last edited by jkd_stefan; 01-14-2007 at 10:28 PM.

Bensauce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bensauce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bensauce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bensauce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bensauce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bensauce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bensauce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bensauce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bensauce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bensauce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bensauce is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by jkd_stefan View Post
    I get a sharp pain for a second when I place the squat bar back on the rack, and after when I do deadlifts i get a dull pain at the same spot when i lift the bar. The first day i did them it didn't hurt me.

I can bend down from the waiste without pain. I get a very slight dull pain the day after at the same spot if i do the squat or deadlift movement even without weight. Nothing intense though.

after 2 days i'm pretty much okay i don't feel it anymore but if i do some squats again with the same amount of weight itll come back.

edit: just want to say i appreciate your feedbacks
    I had pretty much the same problem as you are having right now. This was a few weeks ago when all I did was bench (powerlifting form), squats, deadlifts, rackpulls, rows, military press.

After a while..it just took a toll on my body and my lower back was killing me more and more each workout. Eventually I got to the point where I started taking pain releivers and even then it hurt like a mother****er just to get up from the couch...I literally screamed when I got up.

I did exactly what I gave in my above advice and now the problem is more or less gone. There is still a little pain they day after, but I can live with it.

Also try doing squats with a wider stance and definitely look into doing box squats. They are a little harder to do at first, but when you get used to it...your form will improve a lot and your legs will definitely get stronger.

Yeah that sounds like the best thing to do, I'll take a break of squats and deadlifts for a week and try it again after. Ill look into box squats too, first time i hear that, but sounds interesting

Thanks for the info, very much appreciated!

Bigger than Darklight The Real Deal's Avatar
    The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000)
    Definately take a break. You're body may not be comfortable with the weight you're pushing even if you can do it. Theres nothing wrong with backing off. I tried pushing through lower back pain and it not worth it to Squat/Dead XX amount when you cant even sit in a chair anymore.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    You said you feel it more in one side of the back. Possibly you might be lifting with one side more than the other, stuff like that can be very subtle (especially with higher weights) and be sort of imperceptible.

Backing off on the weight and learning some other exercises, like a 1-leg deadlift, split squat, 1-arm deadlift, would give a rest while you learn the new skill and perhaps help to even out the imbalance.

Originally Posted by The Real Deal View Post
    Definately take a break. You're body may not be comfortable with the weight you're pushing even if you can do it. Theres nothing wrong with backing off. I tried pushing through lower back pain and it not worth it to Squat/Dead XX amount when you cant even sit in a chair anymore.
    Very true

Originally Posted by Tyciol View Post
    You said you feel it more in one side of the back. Possibly you might be lifting with one side more than the other, stuff like that can be very subtle (especially with higher weights) and be sort of imperceptible.

Backing off on the weight and learning some other exercises, like a 1-leg deadlift, split squat, 1-arm deadlift, would give a rest while you learn the new skill and perhaps help to even out the imbalance.
    good idea, im thinking after a week Ill probably try that and do regular squats and deads but with just light weight and progressively increase it. Ill see what works, hopefully my back will get normal soon.

TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It's also because your doing squats so many times all of a sudden, like you said you never did them before, and now you do them 3 times a week...

Your core isn't prepared for this, you need to grease the groove! Start training your abs and lower back with some "iso" work also (core training), and only do squats and deads once a week for a while, than up the squats to 2 times and than 3 times a week and start to continue with Rippetoe again...