Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Numbering Your Power Rack

I've seen a few racks that either come from the factory with the holes marked and on some racks it's an available option.
    Unfortunately many racks don't have any numbers at all. It's not much fun having to count the number of holes and then go around to the side and even it out.

My wife Cadz really likes the BodyCraft F430 rack but it's a pain to count holes, so I numbered it. Total cost was like $12. I have extra numbers and letters but 28 holes on 4 posts uses a lot of numbers.
    This took about 1.5 hours to do as the 1/2" numbers are a pain to pull off.
    Here is the website where I bought the numbers. I bought 3 sets. Now the rack looks even better and is easier to set the bar hooks and safeties. You can get White & Black sets as well. I thought the red was cool!

http://www.amazon.com/Permanent-Adhe...1329220&sr=8-1

Here is what it looks like now.

Last edited by Cadz; 08-09-2010 at 11:50 AM.

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Mine came with numbers.

Another trick is to mark the correct positions for various exercises in grease pencil. It rubs off with just a towel but stays put as long as you want it to. I have severl marks on my uprights all labled with the exercise they are for. I do marks for me in red while my wifes positions are in yellow.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    Mine came with numbers.

Another trick is to mark the correct positions for various exercises in grease pencil. It rubs off with just a towel but stays put as long as you want it to. I have severl marks on my uprights all labled with the exercise they are for. I do marks for me in red while my wifes positions are in yellow.
    I will be doing the iside of the supports with abbreviations SQ for squats - MP for Military Press and - BP for Bench Press.

I did use a grease pencil when I was counting out the holes but forgot to wipe it off and now it's fairly permanant. I'm going to scrub it with Dawn detergent, maybe that will get it off.

I like the professional look the vinyl numbers give the unit. Since they don't come on the BodyCraft F430 and they aren't offered an option.

wolfdragon is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfdragon is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfdragon is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfdragon is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfdragon is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfdragon is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfdragon is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfdragon is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfdragon is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfdragon is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfdragon is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Does look nice. I have mine marked at different levels with paint markers. Not as easy to get off, but it's just different color dots.

Originally Posted by wolfdragon View Post
    Does look nice. I have mine marked at different levels with paint markers. Not as easy to get off, but it's just different color dots.
    Thanks, I could have done it differently but it looks sharp with the red numbers and hey it's custom for cheap money.

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    Mine came with numbers.

Great idea Wildtim! Gotta try that, I usually try to set everything to my wife's settings when I'm done so I don't have to hear about it. I think i have some grease pencils for tile work that may work.

dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Looks great Cadz. I was considering doing this, and after seeing yours I'm definitely goning to do it.

www.mutantfitness.com buffbrown21's Avatar
    buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by dumb.bell View Post
    Looks great Cadz. I was considering doing this, and after seeing yours I'm definitely goning to do it.
    Same here.
    Reps to cadz.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member #14

www.ShankAZombie.com

Thanks for the Reps, I always Rep back.

I'm glad my idea was helpful. Now if I had a black rack, I'd have used white numbers. If you have a white rack you can use Red or Black.

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Cadz View Post

I'm glad my idea was helpful. Now if I had a black rack, I'd have used white numbers. If you have a white rack you can use Red or Black.
    If my rack was white I'd do blue. Mine is black with white letters, but if I chose it would be blue letters on black too.

Originally Posted by desslok View Post
    If my rack was white I'd do blue. Mine is black with white letters, but if I chose it would be blue letters on black too.
    Blue would be cool if you could find 1/2" blue numbers. I didn't see any when I was looking but someone must sell them.

Blue would be really nice looking on a white rack. No idea how good blue would look on black, I guess it would depend on the shade of blue.

smcleod90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smcleod90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smcleod90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smcleod90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smcleod90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smcleod90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smcleod90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smcleod90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smcleod90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smcleod90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smcleod90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I just use blue painters tape and it works fine

Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Red numbers...

Nice. I like those red numbers.

Here's what I did...

Masking tape and black Sharpie. Numbered/labeled every 3rd hole.

I'm only ecto on the outside

dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Bryan88MA View Post

Here's what I did...

What is holding your J-hooks in place? Are those standard size quick release bar collars?

Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000)

Here's what I did...

That's the easiest way to do it, IMO. I did the same, but just wrote "squat", etc, on each, since I'm the only one using it.
    www.tworepcave.com
    Black Friday deals page updated daily through Nov 2022

pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Here's what I did...

Bryan, what is the white material on those hooks? Did they come like that, or did you add them?
    If God had wanted us to be weak, He wouldn't have given us iron.

[]---[] Equipment Crew #28 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #28 ()---()

Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50)

My Weight Hooks

Originally Posted by pumping4life View Post
    Bryan, what is the white material on those hooks? Did they come like that, or did you add them?
    This whole thing is a custom build.

The hooks are 1/4 steel welded together.

It's 1/4" UHMW plastic purchased from a local plastics supplier.

...yes... those are 1" Quick-lee collars for the 1" diameter shaft part of the hook, whick slides right thru the post.
    I'm only ecto on the outside

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I did one better. I printed out labels on a label machine at work that says what holes are for what.

Squat hook
    flat bench safety
    upright hook

etc
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No 7
    ()---() York Barbell Club #7 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #13 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #9 -!!!---!!!-

Originally Posted by Skidmarx View Post
    I did one better. I printed out labels on a label machine at work that says what holes are for what.

Squat hook
    flat bench safety
    upright hook

etc

I've done similar with the stickers but the BodyCraft uses Pop pins and the whole J hook unit slides as does the Safeties, so the lables you mention won't work as they are too thick and just scrape off.
    Yes, sometimes the numbers scrape off but I've only lost about 5 of them out of all that are on there so it's ok.

So on the inside I have it set up like this

SQ = Squats
    BP = Bench Press
    SK = Skull Crushers
    SMP = Standing Military Press

The safeties are also marked except the SMP is not using a J hook just the safeties.
    Labelmakers work great if you use a sabre mount or similar.
    "Political Correctness is the enemy of freedom and democracy and equality and truth and reason. If we are to preserve these things we must know Political Correctness and fight it."
    -LomaAlta

4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I also recommend labeling them with the lifts.

I got mixed up last night and had to dump a squat on the safeties
    that were set too low by about 4 inches.(Ouch-Not comfortable)
    I was using a safety squat bar and had to dump forward.

I only had lines marked on mine.I am going to lable with the lifts.
    []--[]Equipment Crew #33[]--[]

Just be yourself...Everybody else is taken!

My Flickr Photo stuff.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/

captainmorgan0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) captainmorgan0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) captainmorgan0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) captainmorgan0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) captainmorgan0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) captainmorgan0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) captainmorgan0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) captainmorgan0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) captainmorgan0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) captainmorgan0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) captainmorgan0 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Cadz View Post

If I had a black rack I'd use chromed numbers, I think they would look really good.

Originally Posted by captainmorgan0 View Post
    If I had a black rack I'd use chromed numbers, I think they would look really good.
    That's great if you can find them. I looked everywhere and yeah there are a lot of numbers out there but then if you label every hole on 4 posts you'd better hope the labels are cheap.
    If you just label just the ones you use then it's much cheaper.
    Chrome would look very cool on a black rack!
    "Political Correctness is the enemy of freedom and democracy and equality and truth and reason. If we are to preserve these things we must know Political Correctness and fight it."
    -LomaAlta

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    So your numbers have come off a little, Cadz? I was wondering about that (I have the same rack). I originally put a floppy disk label up at the top of the rack with notes on where the spotters/hooks go (I have about 200 labels left over from the nineties ). Unfortunately, the label has become ripped up over time. Its not as efficient anyway without numbered holes, so I was thinking about doing this.

Are the numbers you bought thinner? Why do they come off less than the labels seem to?
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Keetman View Post
    So your numbers have come off a little, Cadz? I was wondering about that (I have the same rack). I originally put a floppy disk label up at the top of the rack with notes on where the spotters/hooks go (I have about 200 labels left over from the nineties ). Unfortunately, the label has become ripped up over time. Its not as efficient anyway without numbered holes, so I was thinking about doing this.

Are the numbers you bought thinner? Why do they come off less than the labels seem to?
    I'd be interested to see how they stand up over time. My idea has always been to make cheap stencils and either spray or paint numbers on. Would only cost a small can of paint.
    I'd also only do the rear uprights on mine as with only 1 set of j hooks doing the front is pretty pointless.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 22

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Essexlad View Post
    I'd be interested to see how they stand up over time. My idea has always been to make cheap stencils and either spray or paint numbers on. Would only cost a small can of paint.
    I'd also only do the rear uprights on mine as with only 1 set of j hooks doing the front is pretty pointless.

I like this idea too, but I'm a terrible painter.

I'd almost certainly screw it up. Normally I'm game for trying about anything, even if I think I'm bad at it, but if I screw up the paint job on my rack.....I'll be painting the whole thing or looking at my mistake for a long time. <-- Both of these things suck!
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I like this idea too, but I'm a terrible painter.

I'd almost certainly screw it up. Normally I'm game for trying about anything, even if I think I'm bad at it, but if I screw up the paint job on my rack.....I'll be painting the whole thing or looking at my mistake for a long time. <-- Both of these things suck!
    Fair enough, bad paint jobs can ruin anything!

I may try and do this at the weekend, as I'm already doing a couple of minor mods to my rack then. Just have to persuade the missus to pick me up some acrylic to cut stencils from the craft store. Although I don't even really need numbers at the moment, my bench and squat positions are the same so they don't move much, but it would be a nice touch especially for in future.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 22

tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    i got two words for you

brother p-touch

buy one i use it for everything - even better get one at work like i did

they have letter/number tapes that come in tons or colors

i always have clear tape with back and clear with white on hand

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...QYNGE0HBVTZBTF

Hi Keetman, yeah some numbers have scrapped off. Since you have one of these you know how the whole piece (bar hook or safety) slides up and down? Well sometimes it scrapes a number. I've lost 5-6 numbers out of well, a ton of them. Since it's 28 holes per post and there are 4 posts mostly 2 numbers per hole. So the amount that has come off isn't terrible and I have extras. The worst is the Letters K an Q as they tend to stick out a smidge and catch on the edge of the bar hook/safety
    Lablels from a label maker would be cheaper but no way will the bar hooks slide past them without catching. These labels are very thin. I actually had to put them on the long part of a pen cap and line them up that way, very fast compared to using my fat fingers.

Honestly I don't think these numbers could get any thinner. They are much thinner than teh old floppy disk labels as I still have some of those and they'd scrape up a lot plus cutting them down to a 1/2" no thanks peeling the precut ones off was enough work never mind cutting them.
    -LomaAlta

Originally Posted by Essexlad View Post
    I looked into this and it was my first idea until my wife pointed out what a hassle it would be to line up all the numbers, tape all the unpainted stuff and then use spray paint in that basement (again) Worse still if it dripped.
    Yes it can be done but where would you find 1/2" stencils that would get as high as 28 because lining up a 2 and an 8 or even worse two 1's wouldn't be fun.
    My wife actually does a lot of crafts in the winter and she is familiar with this stuff and didn't want to do it as it would have taken days just to prep it.
    Stencils would look the best if you had a lot of ventilation and a steady hand
    The guy who wanted chrome could also use chrome paint.
    -LomaAlta

Originally Posted by tmonkey View Post
    i got two words for you

brother p-touch

buy one i use it for everything - even better get one at work like i did

they have letter/number tapes that come in tons or colors

i always have clear tape with back and clear with white on hand

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...QYNGE0HBVTZBTF

That would work great if you had a Body Solid type of rack or anything with a sabre style mount. They will not work on a BodyCraft F430 rack because the pop pin's are mounted in a thick unit that slides up and down and will knock off a label that is that thick.
    -LomaAlta