Thread: Exercise order?

GlitterRainbow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Exercise order?

Hey all. I made a simple compound only PPL routine to break up the boredom for a week. However, I’m not smart enough to determine the appropriate order or the exercises each day. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here’s my best guess on the order…

PULL
    1) Weighted pull up
    2) Weighted chin up
    3) Bentover supinated row
    4) Stiff leg pronated dead lift

PUSH
    1) Dumbbell rotational bench press
    2) Weighted dips
    3) Standing Arnold press
    4) Barbell roll out

LEGS
    1) Back squat
    2) Farmers carry
    3) Step ups
    4) Lunges

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you don't know how to order the exercises then you shouldn't be doing your own programming and you definitely shouldn't run PPL. What novice program are you running that you are getting bored with?
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #79 ▪█─────█▪

Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    If you don't know how to order the exercises then you shouldn't be doing your own programming and you definitely shouldn't run PPL. What novice program are you running that you are getting bored with?
    I’m doing a Pull, Push, Legs, Shoulders routine.

Originally Posted by GlitterRainbow View Post
    Hey all. I made a simple compound only PPL routine to break up the boredom for a week. However, I’m not smart enough to determine the appropriate order or the exercises each day. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here’s my best guess on the order…

PULL
    1) Weighted pull up
    2) Weighted chin up
    3) Bentover supinated row
    4) Stiff leg pronated dead lift

PUSH
    1) Dumbbell rotational bench press
    2) Weighted dips
    3) Standing Arnold press
    4) Barbell roll out

LEGS
    1) Back squat
    2) Farmers carry
    3) Step ups
    4) Lunges
    Anyone have suggestions on a better order for these? Thanks!

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Is this a serious question?
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    Is this a serious question?
    Depends on what you mean by serious I guess, but after a couple weeks with nothing I’m wondering if any of you have recommendations for a forum that’s a bit more active and a lot less spam.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Depends on what you mean by serious I guess, but after a couple weeks with nothing I’m wondering if any of you have recommendations for a forum that’s a bit more active and a lot less spam.
    If you're only running it for a week what difference does it make what order you do it in?

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    One of the big problems with PPL is that unless you add a rest day between push and pull, it puts a lot of strain on your shoulder connective tissues. Most pulling exercises engage the shoulders even though they don't target the shoulder muscles. I recommend upper/lower. Try Lyle McDonald GBR.

If you really want to do PPL, here's an option:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...9807833&page=1

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I just switched to the RP Hypertrophy app for a trial month and am doing “Mike’s Favorite” 6 day split. After 25 years of casual bodybuilding on and off, getting more serious is challenging. I’ve even been a member here since 2018, but only a few posts!🤣

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I just switched to the RP Hypertrophy app for a trial month and am doing “Mike’s Favorite” 6 day split. After 25 years of casual bodybuilding on and off, getting more serious is challenging. I’ve even been a member here since 2018, but only a few posts!
    Six days is a lot if you are natty. I've done it, but I'm making better gains on five days per week and you don't really need more than three or four. Mike I. preaches high volume, but he's enhanced and it's not necessarily the best approach for everyone. If it works for you, go ahead and enjoy, but listen to your body and back off if you aren't recovering well between workouts.

Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    Six days is a lot if you are natty. I've done it, but I'm making better gains on five days per week and you don't really need more than three or four. Mike I. preaches high volume, but he's enhanced and it's not necessarily the best approach for everyone. If it works for you, go ahead and enjoy, but listen to your body and back off if you aren't recovering well between workouts.
    Gotcha. I’ve never done more than 4 days until now but as I get older, I have less endurance to do a very intense 1hr workout. I think my volume is actually less than my 4 day split, but just shorter. For example, one day is only 3 working sets after my warmup so it almost feels like another rest day.

Thanks so much for the tips!

Gotcha. I’ve never done more than 4 days until now but as I get older, I have less endurance to do a very intense 1hr workout. I think my volume is actually less than my 4 day split, but just shorter. For example, one day is only 3 working sets after my warmup so it almost feels like another rest day.

Thanks so much for the tips!
    I'm in a similar boat. I did four days per week for a while, but I'm going lighter on the volume and intensity than I did in my thirties. Five seems to be my sweet spot.

TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Your exercise choices are awful. I would suggest looking up a basic program made by anyone else

Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Your exercise choices are awful. I would suggest looking up a basic program made by anyone else
    Variety is the spice of life. Give them a try. They’ve been very effective compounds for a lot of us. 🙂

Do you have any specific routine suggestions? I’m not sure what you mean by basic. I’ve used a 4 day split push, pull, shoulders and legs for most of the last 25 years and now trying to switch it up as I get more serious. Thanks for your insights.