Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    eddiehaskell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eddiehaskell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eddiehaskell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eddiehaskell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eddiehaskell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eddiehaskell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eddiehaskell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eddiehaskell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eddiehaskell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eddiehaskell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eddiehaskell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Is 95% of school after 4th/5th grade kinda pointless on a practical level?

i feel like the vast majority of schooling after 4th/5th grade is kinda pointless for 95% of people on a practical level. maybe a little business math/stats after that and you're good to go. anything specific you want to learn there's always google or youtube videos.

Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
    i feel like the vast majority of schooling after 4th/5th grade is kinda pointless for 95% of people on a practical level. maybe a little business math/stats after that and you're good to go. anything specific you want to learn there's always google or youtube videos.
    so you just want a nation of people with a 5th grade reading level?

Hell, I didn't learn algebra until the 7th grade. So should people not know basic algebra

I don't think you thought this through.

Registered Elephant BigElephant's Avatar
    BigElephant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigElephant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigElephant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigElephant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigElephant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigElephant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigElephant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigElephant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigElephant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigElephant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigElephant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nah. A lot of the language stuff you learn in middle school is useful. The basic chemistry and biology you learn in middle school is good too; you won't use it in everyday life but everyone should know it to know how the world works. Everyone should know math at least through algebra as well. And hell above that my dad and I use trig a lot doing more elaborate trim jobs on houses.

Beyond that it depends what you are getting into. If you are a tradie then you'd be fine with just the stuff I mentioned plus trade school. If you're going into STEM though you're going to want all the math and science courses (calculus, physics, chemistry) at the HS and college level. And good luck learning that from a youtube video.

I do wish there were a lot less gen ed course requirements in college (and even HS) and students could focus more on what they want to study/what their career will be. I know a lot of kids don't know and that's fine. But if there are kids that know they aren't going the uni route then let them take some trade courses in HS. Or if a kid knows he wants to go into STEM, he probably doesn't need to take Spanish, advanced English, et cetera, and can just focus on science and math courses.
    See Krackerjacked's sig

eddiehaskell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eddiehaskell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eddiehaskell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eddiehaskell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eddiehaskell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eddiehaskell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eddiehaskell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eddiehaskell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eddiehaskell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eddiehaskell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eddiehaskell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
    so you just want a nation of people with a 5th grade reading level?

Hell, I didn't learn algebra until the 7th grade. So should people not know basic algebra

I don't think you thought this through.
    Nothing wrong with a cursory knowledge of basic algebra like solving for a variable. But that's about it on a practical level. Just because one has a 5th grade reading -- does that mean they will stop reading and absorbing information that is practical to their lives?

What algebra do 95% of people use on a daily basis?

Originally Posted by BigElephant View Post
    Nah. A lot of the language stuff you learn in middle school is useful. The basic chemistry and biology you learn in middle school is good too; you won't use it in everyday life but everyone should know it to know how the world works. Everyone should know math at least through algebra as well. And hell above that my dad and I use trig a lot doing more elaborate trim jobs on houses.

Beyond that it depends what you are getting into. If you are a tradie then you'd be fine with just the stuff I mentioned plus trade school. If you're going into STEM though you're going to want all the math and science courses (calculus, physics, chemistry) at the HS and college level. And good luck learning that from a youtube video.

I do wish there were a lot less gen ed course requirements in college (and even HS) and students could focus more on what they want to study/what their career will be. I know a lot of kids don't know and that's fine. But if there are kids that know they aren't going the uni route then let them take some trade courses in HS. Or if a kid knows he wants to go into STEM, he probably doesn't need to take Spanish, advanced English, et cetera, and can just focus on science and math courses.
    I could use Google right now and learn more biology and chemistry than I remember from 6-12 in an hour.

K-6 should be the basics -- then people go off and learn practical knowledge or intricate details about whatever interest them.

mchabs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mchabs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mchabs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mchabs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mchabs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mchabs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mchabs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mchabs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mchabs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mchabs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mchabs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Most of highschool was pretty useless for me outside of math classes and spanish. There should be the option to skip highschool and just go straight to college. Who cares if you can skim through a Shakespeare book and write a paper on it with the help of sparknotes? You literally have to try to fail highschool classes, and even if you do, you still graduate.

Despite being in "college prep" and "honors" classes, it didn't prepare me for college at all and it was way harder.

What they should do is cut out the bs and teach useful things like how to manage your finances, mortgages, taxes, etc. But the elite probably don't want that. Same for college. Why the **** did I need to take useless electives like philosophy and anthropology?

outfoxxed has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) outfoxxed has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) outfoxxed has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) outfoxxed has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) outfoxxed has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) outfoxxed has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) outfoxxed has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) outfoxxed has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) outfoxxed has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) outfoxxed has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) outfoxxed has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Probably everything after 2nd grade is useless tbh

I just live in a trailer home collecting welfare checks and eating McDonald’s while my bastard daughter lives with her mom though so your situation might be different
    Sniff hard as fuk when guys pass by to smell their balls crew
    Don't know how to hold arms when walking crew
    Has to use a soundboard to order pizza crew
    Order pizza and lower money from second floor in bucket crew
    Bodybuilders against lifting crew
    Mod Negs: 3

Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    OP outing himself as a low IQcel, just love to see it.

Originally Posted by mchabs View Post
    Most of highschool was pretty useless for me outside of math classes and spanish. There should be the option to skip highschool and just go straight to college. Who cares if you can skim through a Shakespeare book and write a paper on it with the help of sparknotes? You literally have to try to fail highschool classes, and even if you do, you still graduate.

Despite being in "college prep" and "honors" classes, it didn't prepare me for college at all and it was way harder.

What they should do is cut out the bs and teach useful things like how to manage your finances, mortgages, taxes, etc. But the elite probably don't want that. Same for college. Why the **** did I need to take useless electives like philosophy and anthropology?
    Yes -- any schooling after 4th/5th should focus on practical knowledge. Feels like education is burdened down bureaucracy and people that want to justify their positions. The educational system simply doesn't line up with the real world.

Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by outfoxxed View Post
    Probably everything after 2nd grade is useless tbh

I just live in a trailer home collecting welfare checks and eating McDonald’s while my bastard daughter lives with her mom though so your situation might be different
    Fuark, I completely forgot about OP considering picking up McD's to be "eating out".

Registered Elephant BigElephant's Avatar
    BigElephant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigElephant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigElephant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigElephant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigElephant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigElephant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigElephant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigElephant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigElephant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigElephant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigElephant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I could use Google right now and learn more biology and chemistry than I remember from 6-12 in an hour.

K-6 should be the basics -- then people go off and learn practical knowledge or intricate details about whatever interest them.
    You're not getting a usable knowledge of physics, chemistry, or calculus at the college level, or even HS level, from youtube. Yeah you can learn the periodic table and some derivatives, but if you try to apply that you would embarrass yourself, especially if you're working with similar aged peers who have been educated in those courses. Unless you're a savant or something in which case all of this goes out the window.
    See Krackerjacked's sig

Originally Posted by BigElephant View Post
    You're not getting a usable knowledge of physics, chemistry, or calculus at the college level, or even HS level, from youtube. Yeah you can learn the periodic table and some derivatives, but if you try to apply that you would embarrass yourself, especially if you're working with similar aged peers who have been educated in those courses. Unless you're a savant or something in which case all of this goes out the window.
    95%+ people won't ever use a usable knowledge of chemistry/physics/calculus...even the vast majority that aced the classes. All forgotten "knowledge" for most and time wasted. And you can go as in depth as you prefer online...hell you can watch classes online and even buy the same books used in class if it excites you enough.

iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    No. You can always tell someone who didn't pay attention in school or couldn't learn and didn't get it fixed. Knowing how to learn is an obviously intangible skill. You need to get into the habit of learning if you wanna make it in life. Letting your brain waste during your formative years is a terrible idea. You say it's pointless but if you like the way braindead zoomers are turning out then just don't send your kids to school. They can't learn anything "practical" after finishing Captain Underpants and the multiplication table right jfl
    Do not think that what is hard for you to master is humanly impossible; and if it is humanly possible, consider it to be within your reach.

Originally Posted by iamdetermined View Post
    No. You can always tell someone who didn't pay attention in school or couldn't learn and didn't get it fixed. Knowing how to learn is an obviously intangible skill. You need to get into the habit of learning if you wanna make it in life. Letting your brain waste during your formative years is a terrible idea. You say it's pointless but if you like the way braindead zoomers are turning out then just don't send your kids to school. They can't learn anything "practical" after finishing Captain Underpants and the multiplication table right jfl
    95% of people have jobs this woo woo life long pursuit of knowledge stuff doesn't apply to. Those brain dead zoomers are a product of the school system that speaks in platitudes to maintain itself without teaching practical knowledge.

imagine this scenario...kids go to school until 5-6th grade and learn the basics. then they spend a few years learning practical knowledge...budgeting, finances, investing, logic, some human psych, life skills, etc. at that point they can start working or continue pursuing something education related that interest them.

the kids that started working turn 18 with 4-5 years work experience, money in the bank, practical life skills, ability to budget, some understanding of how the world really works. they can continue parlaying that head start (with no student loans) into a down payment on a home/stock investments over the next few years. bet on average these kids would be farther ahead by age 30 than most who rot in schools with debt until 22-23 years old.

Registered User ralphlaurenbrah's Avatar
    ralphlaurenbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ralphlaurenbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ralphlaurenbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ralphlaurenbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ralphlaurenbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ralphlaurenbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ralphlaurenbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ralphlaurenbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ralphlaurenbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ralphlaurenbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ralphlaurenbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Maybe if you’re a retard in a **** career for braincels. My schooling all kept building and building on itself through college to grad school

Originally Posted by ralphlaurenbrah View Post
    Maybe if you’re a retard in a **** career for braincels. My schooling all kept building and building on itself through college to grad school
    that's great. no one is saying the kids that take in particular interest in something shouldn't be allowed to follow it.

TryingMen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingMen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingMen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingMen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingMen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingMen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingMen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingMen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingMen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingMen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingMen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes. Once they are strong enough they should be working in the fields from dusk til dawn. Preferably chained so they can't run away

Originally Posted by iamdetermined View Post
    His only daughter ( who was born out of wedlock ), will not have the opportunity to pursue a higher education unless one of her uncles or something pays for it - OP has admitted to not being able to afford the basic necessities for his child (like clothing).

Originally Posted by TryingMen View Post
    Yes. Once they are strong enough they should be working in the fields from dusk til dawn. Preferably chained so they can't run away
    Or they can be chained to desk in public schools...and chained to a desk working for noseberg until age 70. same difference. can't piss a drop with asking noseberg first.

Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Nothing wrong with a cursory knowledge of basic algebra like solving for a variable. But that's about it on a practical level. Just because one has a 5th grade reading -- does that mean they will stop reading and absorbing information that is practical to their lives?

What algebra do 95% of people use on a daily basis?
    Simply put, it shouldn't be encouraged. Yeah, there are probably more important things 12-18 year olds can learn (finances budgeting etc), but there will be a massive swath of the population that will think that their 11 year old is "done" with school and learning and they will sit at home all day doing nothing or they will be out in a field working. Thats how you create and entire nation like the educational demographic of Appalachia.

Meanwhile kids in China Japan and India are being taught calculus at the age of 8

People like to joke about the country turning into "Idiocracy" well that would be the perfect way to expedite that version of America.

Simply put, it shouldn't be encouraged. Yeah, there are probably more important things 12-18 year olds can learn (finances budgeting etc), but there will be a massive swath of the population that will think that their 11 year old is "done" with school and learning and they will sit at home all day doing nothing or they will be out in a field working. Thats how you create and entire nation like the educational demographic of Appalachia.

Meanwhile kids in China Japan and India are being taught calculus at the age of 8

People like to joke about the country turning into "Idiocracy" well that would be the perfect way to expedite that version of America.
    this is what i always hear for why kids NEED to be indoctrinated by the school systems...kids in japan are doing organic chemistry by 4 years old!!!!! no, now they're doing partial physics by 3!!!! push, push, push. then in the pursuit of education you turn out indoctrinated dummies that are depressed and working for noseberg for 50 years.

and what do you make of the country already turning into idiocracy under the current path of school school school?

OP is just scared to chit he won't be able to afford to send his daughter to uni, so he is now trying to make a case for not sending her to uni.

JackyChin is a name known to all. (+5000) JackyChin is a name known to all. (+5000) JackyChin is a name known to all. (+5000) JackyChin is a name known to all. (+5000) JackyChin is a name known to all. (+5000) JackyChin is a name known to all. (+5000) JackyChin is a name known to all. (+5000) JackyChin is a name known to all. (+5000) JackyChin is a name known to all. (+5000) JackyChin is a name known to all. (+5000) JackyChin is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Anachron View Post
    OP is just scared to chit he won't be able to afford to send his daughter to uni, so he is now trying to make a case for not sending her to uni.
    Weak attempt at trolling man. He ignored your first jab so you have to keep trying to get that sweet dopamine rush when he replies.

Originally Posted by JackyChin View Post
    Weak attempt at trolling man. He ignored your first jab so you have to keep trying to get that sweet dopamine rush when he replies.
    I am not trolling, just pointing out the context behind this and his other education based thread.

There might be some miscers who are unaware who OP is.

LethalGunz34 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LethalGunz34 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LethalGunz34 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LethalGunz34 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LethalGunz34 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LethalGunz34 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LethalGunz34 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LethalGunz34 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LethalGunz34 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LethalGunz34 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LethalGunz34 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Learning never stops. I’m still taking classes. Always further your education no matter what.

Originally Posted by LethalGunz34 View Post
    Learning never stops. I’m still taking classes. Always further your education no matter what.
    what did that dude from that movie say doh...something about learning all that stuff for $4 in late fees at the public library.

i mean...if you do just enjoy learning for the sake of learning what good is some dopey professor at a college you pay for?

LethalGunz34 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LethalGunz34 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LethalGunz34 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LethalGunz34 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LethalGunz34 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LethalGunz34 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LethalGunz34 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LethalGunz34 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LethalGunz34 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LethalGunz34 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LethalGunz34 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    what did that dude from that movie say doh...something about learning all that stuff for $4 in late fees at the public library.

i mean...if you do just enjoy learning for the sake of learning what good is some dopey professor at a college you pay for?
    How you like them apples?

Originally Posted by LethalGunz34 View Post
    How you like them apples?
    fooook

Investing the difference r32gojirra's Avatar
    r32gojirra has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) r32gojirra has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) r32gojirra has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) r32gojirra has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) r32gojirra has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) r32gojirra has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) r32gojirra has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) r32gojirra has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) r32gojirra has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) r32gojirra has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) r32gojirra has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    There was a couple of fellows named Dunning and Kruger who already solved the question OP is positing
    By reading this post you acknowledge r32gojirra is an online persona and all posts by r32gojirra are satirical in nature. Comments by r32gojirra shall not reflect on the integrity and morals of the author portraying the online character nor any professional or contractual affiliates of the author.

AP4C
    HTC
    Repped by kimm into 200kcrew crew