Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    kyred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

To make sure I keep up with my fat loss project...

...I'm going to post my progress for people to see.

I'll be doing this once a week, regardless of whether changes are noticeable or not.

I'm naturally stocky, and during my high school years I ballooned from 142lbs in my sophomore year to 181lbs upon graduation. In my 2nd year in college I got down to 172 and have stayed at roughly that same weight since then (It's been 3 years since that time).

7 weeks ago I decided to start cutting down using a workout I saw on bodybuilding.com. I've always been pretty satisfied with my muscle structure (maybe a little more here and there) and for now just want to experience having low body fat levels before I work harder to packing on more muscle mass.

I had lost 8 pounds during the first five weeks and 1 more pound over the past two. Looks like I hit a plateau, so I'm working to intensify my cardio.

Here's my initial picture (08/07/06), at 163lbs. Those who wanna take a stab at my body fat percentage, please do. I got this weird electrical impedance device yesterday that said I'm at 30% body fat, which I think I'm not.
    Attached Images

BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think it's a good idea to keep posting your progess.

FatOverride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    No way your 30%, your not even 20%. Looks like you dont have that hard of a road ahead of you, just keep with it and dont get satisfied until you reach your goals. Good luck.
    Never argue with idiots, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Post your full diet.

Originally Posted by nithos
    Post your full diet.
    I don't really have a diet I stick to. Whenever I feel hungry, I eat just enough to make me feel full. I never really counted calories until lately either, and am doing so just to kickstart me out of this point where my body has adjusted to my eating habits + physical activity. What I do to make up for my eating is increased physical activity.

Nonetheless let me post up a typical food/training day for you right here. Beware as it may just go against what other people have said on these forums, but it works for me anyway.

FOOD/TRAINING

7:30am : Hydroxycut Hardcore (2 capsules; I can't handle 3)
    8:00-8:30am : Brisk Walk/Light Jog
    8:45am : Whole Grain Cereal + Milk

10:30am : Myoplex Meal Replacement (If I feel hungry)

12:00pm : Any lunch. Just use discretion. For example, I'd take the Turkey Sandwich + Small Pasta Salad over the Calzone any day.

3:00pm : A Pop-Tart or two. (If I feel hungry)

5:00pm : Workout (see the following workout schedule)

7:00pm : 2-3 Regular Taco Bell Tacos
    8:00-8:30pm : Basketball (just some light, alone practice-time)
    10:00pm : Daily pushups/situps/shadowboxing
    11:00pm : A few fruit bites (If I feel hungry) or a gulp of water if I'm not that hungry

WORKOUTS:

Substitute these for the 5:00pm workout in the schedule above.

Monday/Wednesday : Weights Training (no more than 45 mins, each time)
    Tuesday/Friday : Judo Training
    Thursday/Sunday : 30 minutes interval treadmill cardio
    Saturday : 2 hour jiu-jitsu training

My old schedule was a lot simpler and might work better for most people:
    MWF: Weights Training (no more than 45mins, each time)
    TThS: 30 mins interval treadmill cardio
    S (either Sat or Sun): rest/cheat(one meal) day

There you go.

Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You might think about replacing the pop tarts with some protein bars. They can be delicious and be a lot more beneficial than a couple of pop-tarts.

Originally Posted by Ibballard
    You might think about replacing the pop tarts with some protein bars. They can be delicious and be a lot more beneficial than a couple of pop-tarts.
    Haha you're right. I've always thought about investing in a bunch of those. Pop-tarts are mostly for convenience, since they're the only half-decent thing in the office vending machine, and are conditional meals I don't take too often (about once a week- I've come to a point where the small lunch already fills me up for the entire afternoon..weird).

But I'll try that though. PopTarts are out the door starting now (hopefully they taste good )

I've successfully substituted my daily pop tarts for some great tasting protein bars. Damn good stuff!

A question though, is it possible to be stronger and yet lose muscle mass? Being stuck in a plateau at 163 for the previous two weeks, I ate a bit more this week and supercharged my cardio and weight training. Lost about 1.5-2 pounds this week. I feel great, and am much stronger (I can do pullups now!), but I'm concerned that the weight I'm losing may be coming from muscle.

I know 1-2 pounds a week is a good gradual loss in weight, but I'm just becoming concerned about *where* the weight loss is coming from.

On a different topic, to those who've seen the photo I posted, how would you define my body type? Endo? Meso? Definitely not ecto.

As I mentioned, I'd post progress pics once a week. So here's a progression from Monday to Monday. I decided to do a light cheat today, going for about 1900cals instead of my usual 1600-1700. I'm damn full, and I think the pic shows it!

There seem to be some small changes, but over a week I don't think they can be *that* noticeable. I'm just taking frequent pics to someday create a transformation animation.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by kyred; 08-14-2006 at 08:04 PM.

BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Looks good. Keep it up
    Top Secret Nutrition
    Vice President of Sales
    Alex@TopSecretNutrition.com

Contest Prep Coach
    Workout and Nutrition Programs
    AlexBigStew@gmail.com

Will definitely do.

This is the lightest I've been in 5 long years, I'm extremely happy about it.

Sky22 is just really nice. (+1000) Sky22 is just really nice. (+1000) Sky22 is just really nice. (+1000) Sky22 is just really nice. (+1000) Sky22 is just really nice. (+1000) Sky22 is just really nice. (+1000) Sky22 is just really nice. (+1000) Sky22 is just really nice. (+1000) Sky22 is just really nice. (+1000) Sky22 is just really nice. (+1000) Sky22 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by kyred
    I don't really have a diet I stick to. Whenever I feel hungry, I eat just enough to make me feel full. I never really counted calories until lately either, and am doing so just to kickstart me out of this point where my body has adjusted to my eating habits + physical activity. What I do to make up for my eating is increased physical activity.
    I think you would see more progress if you just start a clean diet and stick with it. Why do all the lifting and hard work but not see as much progress because you're not eating the right foods Don't waste that hard work. That's just my opinion though Good luck with everything and nice progress so far. Keep it up
    "To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."
    -Steve Prefontaine

Originally Posted by Sky22
    I think you would see more progress if you just start a clean diet and stick with it. Why do all the lifting and hard work but not see as much progress because you're not eating the right foods Don't waste that hard work. That's just my opinion though Good luck with everything and nice progress so far. Keep it up
    Oh yeah I've started eating alot more cleanly now. Just because I've seen the progress and want to accelerate my cutting a lot. I've invested in a bunch of protein bars which are what I eat practically everytime I feel hungry, esp. when I feel hungry at night. I still make sure to stuff myself whenever I feel hungry, but with something healthier this time.

I eat about 1600-1700 calories a day which keeps me full enough and have increased the length and intensity of my cardio workouts.

I plan to post a log of my daily food intake soon. For now though, I'll say I've invested in protein bars, almonds, diced fruit, V8, etc.

Today I started logging my food intake (and have begun eating MUCH cleaner) and will be putting the list up later. I upped my daily calorie intake to about 2000, since I realized I never took into mind my daily training/workouts.

I used to do 1600-1700 a day weight training on MW, Judo on TF, Cardio on ThSun, and Jiu-Jitsu (with about 30-45 of HIIT as part of training) on Sat, not to mention doing 20-minute morning jogs every MWF.

I was analyzing a bit and figured that so few calories and a generally high level of activity may also be slowing down my fat loss. Your thoughts?

Btw, I'm currently at 161lbs at 5'7".
    Last edited by kyred; 08-15-2006 at 02:41 PM.

Sky22 is just really nice. (+1000) Sky22 is just really nice. (+1000) Sky22 is just really nice. (+1000) Sky22 is just really nice. (+1000) Sky22 is just really nice. (+1000) Sky22 is just really nice. (+1000) Sky22 is just really nice. (+1000) Sky22 is just really nice. (+1000) Sky22 is just really nice. (+1000) Sky22 is just really nice. (+1000) Sky22 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by kyred
    I was analyzing a bit and figured that so few calories and a generally high level of activity may also be slowing down my fat loss. Your thoughts?

Btw, I'm currently at 161lbs at 5'7".
    You're right. If you don't eat enough then you'll be burning muscle. You'll turn into the "skinny fat guy". It will slow down your metabolism too. Did you check out the calculators on here and put in your activity level and see how many calories you burn a day and how many you should be eating so you're not under eating? You'll have a better idea of how many calories you need to be eating.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa64.htm
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macronutcal.htm
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calrmr.htm

Lots of fun calculators for ya.

If you've figured all this out already...good for you later
    -Steve Prefontaine

Originally Posted by Sky22
    You're right. If you don't eat enough then you'll be burning muscle. You'll turn into the "skinny fat guy". It will slow down your metabolism too. Did you check out the calculators on here and put in your activity level and see how many calories you burn a day and how many you should be eating so you're not under eating? You'll have a better idea of how many calories you need to be eating.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa64.htm
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macronutcal.htm
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calrmr.htm

Lots of fun calculators for ya.

If you've figured all this out already...good for you later

Thanks Sky. Yup I computed some of that stuff, but I used the one over at MensFitness.com. Turned out I should take in about 2100-2200 calories a day. I just say 2000 since it's a nice round figure to aim for.

That's good. Some calculators will give you slightly different numbers. Although, in my opinion 2k calories might be a bit too low. I'd think about maybe trying 2200. I know it doesn't seem like much difference than 2k but with all the activity you're doing everyday i'm worried you wont be eating enough. You could try it and if it's not working then go back to 2k again. I know women that eat 1800-2200 working out M-F and lose weight. I know you're only 5'7'' but you said you were working out everyday. Just something to maybe think about.
    -Steve Prefontaine

I'm going to post up another weekly pic here later tonight, but I just wanted to update everyone on my progress thus far in terms of numbers.

I'm down to 159lbs, **tears of joy for being under 160 for the first time in 6 years** and my strength has gone up pretty well , given that I'm off creatine and the hydroxycut tablets that tend to make me hyper and give me extra energy. That said, I guess it's safe to say it isn't my muscle that's being burned off (I sure hope not).

Endurance has gone up too- I managed to squeeze a 5 mile jog out of myself last night, when I used to do 2.5, and another 2 miles this morning straight out of bed. I do about 9-10min/mile. Pretty slow, but I'm working on getting faster since I'm flatfooted and my feet hurt really quick.

On a sidenote, I attribute my better jogging to my new Nike Ipod toy.

I cycle through 1800, 2000, and 2300 calorie days. My usual is about 2000, and I do 2300 for my heavier cardio days. I throw in the occasional 1800 calorie day to throw my body off track. Snacks are almost always differently-flavored protein bars or baked chips. For bigger meals that I may not have hard nutrition facts for, I just pick mostly protein rich foods such as chicken or fish, and some healthy carbs (i.e. brown rice) to go with it. Again, mostly just feeling it out.
    Last edited by kyred; 08-21-2006 at 04:24 PM.

nice job on the weight loss!! Doesn't it feel sooo good to get under that weight you haven't been under forever. Keep it up bro
    -Steve Prefontaine

Thanks alot!!

As promised... transition photos over 3 weeks.
    Attached Images

once again, nice changes so far. You can really tell in your stomach that you've lost fat. Keep it up
    -Steve Prefontaine

fehzan is not very well liked. (-100) fehzan is not very well liked. (-100) fehzan is not very well liked. (-100) fehzan is not very well liked. (-100) fehzan is not very well liked. (-100) fehzan is not very well liked. (-100) fehzan is not very well liked. (-100) fehzan is not very well liked. (-100) fehzan is not very well liked. (-100) fehzan is not very well liked. (-100) fehzan is not very well liked. (-100)
    Yeah, looking skinner, you should be at a low bodyfat soon!
    Supplements currently being used:
    ON 100% Gold Chocolate Whey Protein
    OneSource Teen's Multivitamin

Thanks for taking the time to check this thread out. Yeah, once I reach a satisfactory BF%, I'll start bulking up.

I always make sure to keep my muscular strength and endurance up though. I don't want to be thin AND weak.

New update for Aug 28.

The past week was hell for a cutter like me. My parents are in town cooking some extremely awesome food everyday, we had 3 separate birthday celebrations (all-day affairs, so no workout) on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and I've come down with a really bad cold and sore throat which had sidelined my cardio over the weekend. I managed to push myself for my weekly 5 mile run last Sunday though, and a workout today.

It's important to note though that while I've been losing weight, my lifts are consistently getting higher in weight- I guess that's enough proof that I'm not losing muscle? Your thoughts?

Lost a pound instead of the usual two, probably because of the past week's setbacks- I'm at 158 now. Attached is the progress update.
    Attached Images

Argh this is great.

After posting yesterday's changes and being fired up to work out with intensity all week, I'm now temporarily sidelined. My cold + sore throat has escalated to a level where any high intensity activity leads to an onset of asthma. I've had to cancel my judo and jiu-jitsu classes for now too since I don't want to spread the bug (and no one wants to roll with the obviously sick dude).

I can't get over this, and I don't want to waste a week doing nothing for my goal. Any tips on what I can do at least on the side? Lower calories than usual to compensate for less workouts, etc?

Just get better...this wont set you back much at all. I wouldn't worry about it. These things happen....eat some food...take some meds and sleep. Great progress!!
    -Steve Prefontaine

Thanks Sky. You're probably the only consistent thread-reader I have. Time to spice this thread up. *think think*

I'll probably try to get a lot more rest than usual this week. I'm dying to workout...

09/04/06 update

Here's a new update folks.

Not much obvious change from the previous week, except maybe less pronounced muscles (as I had just come from my workout when I took last week's pic). Thanks to the long weekend I've managed to squeeze in two 5-mile runs during the last few days (to also make up for the holiday feasting).

Thankfully. my lifts have stayed the same, and some have actually gone higher in weight and/or reps. As for cardio, my conditioning is improving quite a bit. I've finally done less than 8:30 per mile in my 5 mile runs (indoors on the treadmill) and 9:40 on my 2-mile outdoor runs (varied inclines). Still slow, but two weeks ago I was doing 10:45/mile on my 2-mile outdoor runs.

1.5lbs lost over the past 7 days, and hopefully I can hit the next major milestone of 155lbs soon. Protein bars and shakes plus less daily fat intake have helped alot. I also bought some fish oil capsules that I take regularly, although I honestly can't clearly define what it's supposed to do... I just know it gives you the good fats.

Here's the picture. I cut off the older pic, to keep it at 4 progression pics per set. I'd say I might be at around 13-14% body fat at this point. What do you guys think?
    Attached Images
    Last edited by kyred; 09-04-2006 at 09:52 PM.

Okay my friends, time to run my diet by all you guys. I'm cycling through 1800, 2000, and 2200 calories. I started tightening up my diet now via keeping a journal, and because I've been able to readjust my workouts to fit my new fitness levels.

This is roughly a 1800cal day:

9:45am:
    1/2 cup oats
    Protein Shake (optional small protein bar)

11:45am:
    2pcs. whole wheat bread with turkey breast, chicken breast, and lite ham slices

1:30pm
    1/2 turkey and chicken sandwich with lite mustard and jalapenos (whole grain nut bread)

3:30pm
    other 1/2 of the turkey and chicken sandwich with lite mustard and jalapenos (whole grain nut bread)

4:45pm
    1/2 cup Quaker Oatmeal: Apple Flavor

-Workout-

Post-Workout (about 730pm): Protein Shake

10:00pm
    Salad with Chicken Breast Slices and Lite Caesar Dressing (1g carbs and 5g fat per 2 tbsp of dressing)

After each meal, I also take a Fish Oil capsule. My workout varies depending on the day, since I've become active in sports. My workouts are as follows:

M-F-Sat: Weights (45mins each session)
    T-Th: Judo (1hr each session)
    W: Jiu-Jitsu (2hr session)
    Sun: 5 mile run (40-45mins)

I used to do 2 mile morning runs after a quick bite during my weights days, but am holding back due to fear of overtraining and losing muscle. I've pretty much kept and/or improved my lifts so I guess I haven't lost muscle so far.

I'd also like to add that my caloric cycling goes like this:

Sun: 2000cal
    Mon: 1800cal
    Tues: 1800cal
    Wed: 2200cal
    Thur: 1800cal
    Fri: 1800cal
    Sat: 2000cal

Wednesday involves my most intense physical workout so I incorporate more calories that day. Based on this and my previous post with the workout details, I'd love to see what I can do to improve the cycling process. I essentially have no cheat days, and my increased caloric intake is composed simply of the same types of foods, but in greater quantities.