Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Nick David's Training Journal 2010 - Personal Trainer

Name: Nick David
    Training Status: Advanced

BACKGROUND
    Hi! - After taking a good break, I think it's a good time to start a new journal up, mainly to share what I'm doing with others who want to learn - as I've been getting asked what sort of training am i doing and what sort of food do i eat etc etc..

Just some quick background information:
    I was originally motivated to start working out after I watched the movie fight club a good few years ago - purely for material reasons. I remember watching that movie maybe 30 times in the space of a couple of months, and I know realise that was one proponent of my success - I was visualising what and how I wanted to look over a long enough period of time that I created new habits. Thus, creating a new drive and motivation to succeed, because at that time, I believed that if i could visualise and imagine it, and brad pitt could do it, than i could most certainly do it! Well, it wasn't too long after, that i had gone from a 70kg (154lbs) 5,11" skinny fat white guy, to a leaner more muscular 187lb slightly more tanned white guy. I feel these initial results came from a variety of factors such as, the discipline i learned through years of martial arts training in my teens, the positive influence from my parents, and also from my father who as a bodybuilder used to pick both me and my brother up in each arm and perform curls - which as a 6 year old, i thought was pretty kool - i think that one stuck..

It seems like a lifetime ago that i was the shy guy from high school, who had friends, but no real confidence in himself or his own abilities. This is something that is truly magnificent about life - there is always constant change. If you look at the environment, nature, the human body and everything in the universe, it is always changing and evolving and we as people are no different. ~ We can become, what ever we will ourselves to be.

As you read this journal I will share with you some of the experiences, information and philosophies that have helped me get to where i am today, and continue propel me forward towards achieving my goals..

STATISTICS (Before)
    Body mass - 70kg - (154lbs)
    Bodyfat - ~ 21-26%

STATISTICS (Currently)
    Body mass - 90kg - (198lbs)
    Bodyfat - ~ 8-9%

DIET, SUPPLEMENTS & TRAINING PROGRAM
    This changes depending on my goals and current statistics, which I monitor regularly.

DAILY COMMENTS will be made on the following:
    Energy
    Motivation
    Strength
    Quality of Training
    Overall Sense of Feeling

*Please note:
    I do like to goof around and have a joke so this journal will be a bit of fun and games at times..
    Nick Ritchie
    NLP, Hypnotist, Online Fitness Coach

Join My 12 Week Transformation Program:

http://nickritchielive.com/transformation-program

essential222 is just really nice. (+1000) essential222 is just really nice. (+1000) essential222 is just really nice. (+1000) essential222 is just really nice. (+1000) essential222 is just really nice. (+1000) essential222 is just really nice. (+1000) essential222 is just really nice. (+1000) essential222 is just really nice. (+1000) essential222 is just really nice. (+1000) essential222 is just really nice. (+1000) essential222 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Dropped you a ******** add, subbed and will be good to see how your doing, check out my journal in my sig some time
    ***PMC - Where Amazing Happens***

"There is no such thing as a good time for badluck" - Phill Anselmo in 'On march the saints' by Down.

nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Training

Upper Hypertrophy / Chest, Arms (8-12 reps)

*weights are in Kg's

Dumbbell Incline
    32x12
    32x10
    32x10

Smith machine Close grip bench
    60x9
    60x10
    60x8

Dumbbell flat bench
    35x8
    35x8
    32x8

Preacher curls supersetted with Lying skull crushers
    20x8 - 17x8
    20x10 - 17x8
    20x10 - 17x7

Pushdowns supersetted with crossbody hammer curls
    77x12 - 17x12
    85x10 - 19x11
    85x10 - 19x10

Cable crossovers
    35x12
    42x9
    42x6

Misc

always a GREAT day for feeling 'the pump'! - didn't quite have enough time to finish the last two exercises, but still walked away feeling like the energy had been invested wisely. Strength has been increasing over the last few weeks, with no real sign of slowing down - bring it!
    Nick Ritchie

Training

Upper Hypertrophy / Shoulders, Back, Traps (8-12 reps)

*weights are in Kg's

Military Press (Power shoulders)
    35x6
    37x6
    40x6

DB shoulder press supersetted with Seated rear delt laterals
    22x11 - 10x10
    22x10 - 10x11
    22x10 - 10x10

DB Chainsaws (one arm rows) supersetted with Arnold Presses
    37x10 - 17x10
    37x9 - 17x10
    37x10 - 17x10

Wide grip lat pulldown supersetted with DB shrugs
    165x10 - 40x10
    165x8 - 40x10

Close grip pulldown supersetted with Upright rows
    180x9 - 30x10
    180x8 - 30x8

Misc

Another hypertrophy day - was working all night so didn't have a chance to get my usual 5am workout in, so i trained at 8pm on a friday night (while most of the town is out drinking lol) and it went pretty well.. i was feeling a little 'off' and have been for the last few days after eating some chicken that had probably been sitting in the fridge a little too long.. none the less, the workout got done, with full intensity and i walked out feeling like i had accomplished another successful session.

Energy - 7/10 - stomach issues
    Motivation - 8/10 - wasn't as dialled in as i usually am - possibly due to the stomach cramps
    Strength - good - still increasing - feeling strong
    Quality of Training - 8/10 - could have been better - but hey, it ALWAYS can!
    Overall Sense of Feeling - I'm on PROGRESSIONS doorstep.
    Nick Ritchie

Originally Posted by essential222 View Post
    Dropped you a ******** add, subbed and will be good to see how your doing, check out my journal in my sig some time
    Thanks bro - Great to have you along.. Will be following your progress..
    Nick Ritchie

"Treatment with EPA (fish oil) at a dosage of 1g/day was effective in treating depression in patients who remained depressed despite adequate standard (drug) therapy..."

http://jerrycott.com/user/Peet.EPA.Archives.2002.pdf

----------------

Damn, I love this stuff! - Finding more and MORE evidence supporting natural therapies for all areas of health.. this on on the subject of depression, which currently here in New Zealand there is something like 70% of all 7th form teens on anti-depressants! = crazy
    Nick Ritchie

6-8 walnuts (or 1/4 cup) provides 90.8% of the daily value for these essential n-3 (omega 3 fats) which meets the advice of the Food Nutrition Board of the National Academy Institute of Medicine.

*I personally now consume approximately 1 cup of walnuts per day throughout my 4-5 meals.

Other rich sources of omega 3 can come from fatty fish such as Salmon.

Nick Ritchie

Monday 4/10/10

Training

Upper Power (3-6 reps)

*Weight in pounds

DB Bench Press
    100x5
    100x5
    100x5
    100x5

Barbell Rows
    220x6
    220x6
    229x5
    229x5

Barbell Shrugs
    264x6
    264x6
    273x5

Misc

When I woke at 4.30am this morning I sprung out of bed, and was feeling 100% until I got to the gym and my stomach turned queasy.. I pressed on (literally) and continued to increase strength and intensity from last week - The strength has been going up and up ever since I increased my carbohydrate intake. I'm still staying lean, so overall it's looking good for now. I'm slightly concerned about heaving anything heavier than 100lb dumbbells up and over for bench press without a spot out of the hole (I don't use training partners) however I will focus more energy next week for 6 reps and just see how I get on..

Later today I grabbed some Probiotics for my stomach issues, and tomorrow should tell a different story.. Stay tuned..

Energy - 6/10 still stomach issues

Motivation - 8/10 - 10/10 before I hit the gym - stomach issues again..

Strength - on the rise quick, and has been for the last few weeks

Quality of Training - 9/10, strength gains, and I didn't loose the dumbbells kicking them up this time, so it's all good.

Overall Sense of Feeling - Making it happen..
    Nick Ritchie

Do you consume pesticides in your fruit? - "In 2006 researchers measured the amount of organophosphorus pesticide exposure in nearly two dozen school children while these kids ate a conventional diet. The researchers then measured the pesticide levels in these children after switching them to an organic diet. Results... showed that the pesticide levels in the children dropped dramatically and immediately after switching to an organic diet."

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/shou...anic-foods.htm

GREAT article..
    Nick Ritchie

Tuesday 5/10/10

Training

Lower Power (3-6 reps)

Back Squat
    308x3

Front Squat
    176x6
    220x6

Stiff Legged Deadlifts
    352x5
    308x6
    308x6

Misc

After taking some Probiotics Monday, they kicked in towards mid-day Tuesday (i performed my workout in the morning) so was still feeling a little sluggish. I wasn't feeling quite as strong or amped as usual, which I'm thinking was a combination of my stomach upsets and a lack of visualisation. - I realised this, when I was training one of my clients, and took her through a visualisation process I refer to is the 'you have to see yourself perform the exercise in your mind really well, before you can expect to perform it really well in reality'. I forgot to use any visualisation before my sets today, which was a very bad idea for me, and impacted my performance in a negative way. I will not be making that mistake again..

Energy - 5/10

Motivation - 7/10

Strength - not so good today (I forgot to visualise my sets before performing them - big mistake!)

Quality of Training - 6/10

Overall Sense of Feeling - Cardio tomorrow = Rest/recovery day.

*Video of the day - Why utilising the power of the mind is so important, Tony Robbins explains one of the concepts well here!

Last edited by nicksmith3; 10-05-2010 at 08:43 PM.
    Nick Ritchie

wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000)
    awesome journal so far brah, really quality workouts there... and i like how you link a study every so often. i'm goin for my masters in biology right now so i can appreciate a good study lol
    "The weak-minded would shrink away from what must be done for fear of being ridiculed by the wicked" - Terry Goodkind

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"...-Ghandi

Prep Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158667243

Wednesday 06/10/10

Training

Cardio

HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training)
    15 Minutes
    30-40sec on/1.30min off

Misc

After taking a few weeks off from cardio (not deliberately, I just 'forgot' to add it into my current program) I decided I wanted to make the most of the epic weather we've been having here in Christchurch and headed out to the beach for some much needed time out, AND some much needed cardio!

The beach was packed, so I walked down to a quieter end with a mate of mine.. So while he was sprawled out crisping under the sun, I was running up and down the beach like a mad man - Mind you, It's been a few weeks since I put in some max effort cardio so I probably just looked like a red faced nut bar streaking up and down the sand..

Overall I felt my fitness was pretty good considering the time off, however I will be looking forward to bringing it back up to the level where I barely even puff during heavy squats!

*Just a shot from last summer at the same beach - Sumner, Christchurch New Zealand

Nick Ritchie

Thursday 07/10/10

Training

*Weights from here will always be in poundages

Dumbbell Incline
    77x11
    77x9
    77x8

Smith machine Close grip bench
    132x9
    132x8
    132x8

Dumbbell flat bench
    77x10
    77x9

44x12 - 103x8
    44x10 - 103x9
    44x9 - 103x7

187x12 - 42x11
    187x12 - 42x12
    187x12 - 42x12

Pec Dec Flys
    3 sets of 12

Cable Curls supersetted with dips
    154x12 - BW x10
    198x12 - BW x10
    198x12 - BW x8

Misc

This mornings workout started out interesting, as I walked into the gym (half asleep from not getting as much sleep as I usually do) I found myself finishing my first couple of sets with a good intensity and focus, however I still wasn't wide awake - This made visualising interesting.. As I was sitting on the bench going through the next set in my mind, I found myself slipping in and out of a sort of trance. As I got up to take down the set, I was still lost inside that visual of completing that last rep STRONG... and that is just what I did.

By the time I made it to the close grip bench I was well awake, and once the preacher curls made it into the scene it was game time! I decided I was going to try and finish this session as fast as I could, sacrificing no real rest time when possible. By the time I hit tricep pushdowns supersetted with hammer curls my arms were PUMPED! by then, bringing those dumbbells up for hammer curls felt like my arms were about to explode! I find it useful during certain exercises and sets to really get lost in the zone, and for periods I'll even close my eyes and just dial in my intensity that little bit more, focusing on pushing out that last rep, that last set.. Seeing it happen in my mind even as I'm perfoming the set. Just like for runners, or cyclists or swimmers - You have to see the end of the race, or understand that clock is ticking and you have to beat a certain time in order for you to progress to a certain level. The difference with bodybuilding or serious gym training is that there is no specific race, or level to get to - only the race against yourself, only the level to beat from your previous perceived level, and only to achieve what has already been believed to have been achieved - you're just yet to actualize it.

As you can tell - It's game time.

Energy - 9/10

Motivation - 8/10

Strength - 9/10

Quality of Training - 9/10

Overall Sense of Feeling - Back, Shoulders Traps tomorrow - Preparing for the massive back pump tomorrow, and the feeling of achievement when I finish that rep, set and session with no stone left unturned.
    Nick Ritchie

Nutrition Update 07/10/10

Nutrition Update

My meals variate throughout the year based upon my training goals, whether that be to loose body-fat or gain muscle - Those are really the only two variables one has to work with when it comes to the body.. Unless your talking about micronutrition/which I won't be going into here right now. Today I'm just posting what I ate..

Meal #1 (Pre-Workout)
    Whey Protein
    Walnuts
    Banana
    Rolled Oats

Meal #2 (Post-Workout)
    Whey Protein
    Walnuts
    Chia Seeds
    Oranges
    Rolled Oats

Meal #3
    Salmon
    Almonds
    Green Beans
    Brown Rice

Meal #4
    Venison
    Coconut Milk
    Basmati Rice

Meal #5
    Venison
    Coconut Milk
    Basmati Rice
    Banana

Misc.

Sometimes I will decrease carbs, and sometimes I will increase carbs - right now carbs are right up because I'm in a muscle gain cycle. Meal #3 is a typical Low-GI meal, constituting of a Protein source, a Fat source and a fruit/vegetable source. This simply allows the food to be digested slowly in the gut, thus slowing the release of glucose into the bloodstream and allowing for a strong steady energy level throughout the day.. There are many more benefits to eating low GI, however I don't have the time to go into all of those today.

Nick Ritchie

Originally Posted by wrkoutfrq View Post
    awesome journal so far brah, really quality workouts there... and i like how you link a study every so often. i'm goin for my masters in biology right now so i can appreciate a good study lol
    I'm glad you're enjoying it bro - you're sitting biology? That's fantastic! - What will you be majoring in, do you think?
    Nick Ritchie

The Female Terminator RosieCheeScott's Avatar
    RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by nicksmith3 View Post
    ...Just like for runners, or cyclists or swimmers - You have to see the end of the race, or understand that clock is ticking and you have to beat a certain time in order for you to progress to a certain level. The difference with bodybuilding or serious gym training is that there is no specific race, or level to get to - only the race against yourself, only the level to beat from your previous perceived level, and only to achieve what has already been believed to have been achieved - you're just yet to actualize it.
    So very true, Nick.

Glad your stomach has settled down - mine was quite nauseous for a few weeks not so long ago and it made training a question of whether or not I would be throwing up during or afterwards, which is never pleasant. Anyways, missing that New Zealand summer and the beach - no matter the weather!

Watching

~Rosie~
    The Primordial Woman
    Writer • Athlete • Coach
    INSPIRATION ~ FITNESS ~ LIFESTYLE
    Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose.

Friday 08/10/10

Training

Upper Hypertrophy / Shoulders, Back, Traps (8-12 reps)

Military Press (Power Set)
    88x6
    88x5
    88x4

DB shoulder press supersetted with Seated rear delt laterals
    49x12 - 25x10
    49x11 - 25x11
    49x11 - 25x9

DB Chainsaws (one arm rows) supersetted with Arnold Presses
    81x11 - 37x10
    81x11 - 37x10
    81x12 - 37x8

Wide grip lat pulldown supersetted with DB shrugs
    363x12 - 88x12
    363x9 - 88x10

Close grip pulldown supersetted with Upright rows
    396x8 - 66x12
    393x9 - 70x8

Misc

All I can say about today is, by the time I picked up the first dumbbells I brought the intensity needed to destroy back.. I was really feeling my energy drain by the time I reached wide grip pulldowns however I pressed on and made the rest of the total sets quality. Caught up with someone I haven't seen in quite some time at the gym and he made the move of asking me if I was on anything.. haha, I know I have had some really good muscle growth lately, but I don't think it's been THAT good! Considering over the last 8-10 months I was still lifting moderately heavy with slow strength increases, but wasn't really eating enough quality calories daily to grow much if any muscle - now that I've re-introduced higher quality calories, I'm certain I will get (and have been getting) some pretty good results.

Energy - 10/10

Motivation - 10/10 - By the time I picked up that iron, it was game time!

Strength - Feeling strong, and strength is increasing with each session (as it should be)

Quality of Training - 10/10, I walked out of there absolutely spent! - I just wanted to go home and sleep!

Overall Sense of Feeling - When it comes to my nutrition and training, nothing could be more on key right now. As for specifics of my training, the PHAT split is still taking some adjusting time as I'm still feeling slightly tired compared to my usual 5 day hit one muscle group per week routine. What's interesting is I actually started my training in the first six months using a 5 day split like this,

Monday - Upper body hyper
    Tuesday - Lower body hyper
    Wednesday - Upper body hyper
    Thursday - Lower body hyper
    Friday - Upper body hyper

The interesting thing is that I actually got continued results with that split even though the couple of people who I told about my program said to me, or more so warned me that I was 'over-training' - which back then, I didn't even know what that was! What I'm getting to with this, is that this PHAT split is the first time in a few years that I've hit the same muscle group more than once per week and I'm now growing and feeling harder and stronger than I ever have been.. Well. Stay tuned..
    Nick Ritchie

Originally Posted by RosieCheeScott View Post
    So very true, Nick.

Glad your stomach has settled down - mine was quite nauseous for a few weeks not so long ago and it made training a question of whether or not I would be throwing up during or afterwards, which is never pleasant. Anyways, missing that New Zealand summer and the beach - no matter the weather!

Watching

~Rosie~
    The Primordial Woman
    For sure - Gives training an additional challenge - oh boy how we love challenges, hey Rosie!
    Nick Ritchie

wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm glad you're enjoying it bro - you're sitting biology? That's fantastic! - What will you be majoring in, do you think?
    i'm actually doing my master's thesis on environmental toxicology work in water snakes... my overall focus is herpetology (amphibians and reptiles), so anything can go lol
    "The weak-minded would shrink away from what must be done for fear of being ridiculed by the wicked" - Terry Goodkind

Off Day 09/10/10

Off Day

Off day today - Just thought I would add a great posing routine from Kurt Weidner. Great stuff!

Nick Ritchie

The Female Terminator RosieCheeScott's Avatar
    RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The interesting thing is that I actually got continued results with that split even though the couple of people who I told about my program said to me, or more so warned me that I was 'over-training' - which back then, I didn't even know what that was! What I'm getting to with this, is that this PHAT split is the first time in a few years that I've hit the same muscle group more than once per week and I'm now growing and feeling harder and stronger than I ever have been.. Well. Stay tuned..
    As long as you're progressing or making adjustments re order of exercises, weights, sets, reps, etc. each session, there's no reason to change a split - unless you want to use something different for a different body goal. "Overtraining" is relative to each individual - some people can train pretty much every day or do 4-5 days of resistance sessions (like us), and some people need a day off every other day and shouldn't be doing more than 2-3 resistance sessions a week.

Training looks good, Nick I love supersets/trisets/alternate sets/giant sets, etc., and feel like I get a better session out of it - looks like you're the same way.

For sure - Gives training an additional challenge - oh boy how we love challenges, hey Rosie!
    Definitely! I'm going back to my wee-pre-competition training tomorrow for the next five weeks - challenging myself to handle the pain for a lot longer than last time, and come out triumphant.

Keep doing what you're doing, Nick!
    Writer • Athlete • Coach
    INSPIRATION ~ FITNESS ~ LIFESTYLE
    Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose.

Monday 11/10/10

Training

Upper Power (3-6 reps)

Barbell Bench Press
    200x5
    200x6
    200x5
    200x5

Barbell Rows
    220x6
    242x5
    242x5
    242x6

Barbell Shrugs
    264x7
    286x6
    286x7

Deadlift*
    400x6

Misc

I was up late Sunday night, so I slept through my alarm and subsequently trained chest, back traps later tonight, and didn't leave the gym until 9pm.. Still.. This workout was fantastic - I shifted from DB Bench to Barbell Bench press and have improved in strength by a good few pounds in the last couple of weeks, no spotter at this stage so I try to keep it within safe poundage's for the rep ranges I'm doing. Hit Barbell Bent-over Rows after chest and dominated back, felt really strong with the first set, so I increased the lift by 22 pounds.. Still felt pretty good, and kept the intensity high during each explosive set. (I prefer explosive reps/with control/ as opposed to slow and controlled/contracted)

I finished off shrugs after increasing in strength with those also, but I felt like something was missing and I still had a bit left in the tank - So without being on my program, I decided I wanted to finish off with one set of strong deadlifts - Now THAT was a GREAT idea! After crushing a set of 6 for 400lbs I was feeling like I had exhausted most of what was left in the tank, and was well ready for that post-workout meal!

Energy - 10/10

Motivation - 10/10

Strength - Large increases today

Quality of Training - 10/10, as you can see, I'm feeling pretty GOOD about today's battle with myself..

Overall Sense of Feeling - TOTAL DOMINATION -

*Have found a fairly new training series from Layne Norton - Some good stuff in there, and makes for a motivating pre-workout clip.. Those squats.. SICK!

Nick Ritchie

Originally Posted by RosieCheeScott View Post
    As long as you're progressing or making adjustments re order of exercises, weights, sets, reps, etc. each session, there's no reason to change a split - unless you want to use something different for a different body goal. "Overtraining" is relative to each individual - some people can train pretty much every day or do 4-5 days of resistance sessions (like us), and some people need a day off every other day and shouldn't be doing more than 2-3 resistance sessions a week.

Training looks good, Nick I love supersets/trisets/alternate sets/giant sets, etc., and feel like I get a better session out of it - looks like you're the same way.

Definitely! I'm going back to my wee-pre-competition training tomorrow for the next five weeks - challenging myself to handle the pain for a lot longer than last time, and come out triumphant.

Keep doing what you're doing, Nick!
    I agree 100% there Rosie

Five weeks to go hey - Let's see you make it happen!
    Last edited by nicksmith3; 10-11-2010 at 03:00 AM.
    Nick Ritchie

Goals Update

Goals

August 17th (Old stats)
    Deadlift - 374x4
    Bench - 176x5
    Squat - 220x4

October 11th (Current stats - 8 Weeks Later)
    Deadlift - 396x6
    Bench - 200x5
    Squat - 308x5

Weight - 189 to 200lbs

*Increases
    - Deadlift = 22lbs
    - Bench = 14lbs
    - Squat = 88lbs
    - Weight = 11lbs

Misc

I'm overall pretty happy with the gains so far - Let's keep em coming!
    Nick Ritchie

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Goals

August 17th (Old stats)
    Deadlift - 374x4
    Bench - 176x5
    Squat - 220x4

October 11th (Current stats - 8 Weeks Later)
    Deadlift - 396x6
    Bench - 200x5
    Squat - 308x5

Weight - 189 to 200lbs

*Increases
    - Deadlift = 22lbs
    - Bench = 14lbs
    - Squat = 88lbs
    - Weight = 11lbs

Misc

I'm overall pretty happy with the gains so far - Let's keep em coming!
    Great work. Epic progress on squats. Keep it up.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

Originally Posted by rdferguson View Post
    Great work. Epic progress on squats. Keep it up.
    this... solid progress man

Training

Lower Power (3-6 reps)

Barbell Squat
    308x5
    308x1

Hack Squat
    220x6
    308x11
    352x6

Misc

Was scheduled this morning to hit stiff legged deadlifts and calf raises, however by the time I had acclimated to my squat weight and hit a PR for 308x5 I was feeling pretty tired - not sure why. (When I feel like that, and loosing focus on power work I'll switch to a machine to reduce any chances of injury - from what I've read from a lot of the top guys, the time when they get an injury is when fatigue sets in or they looks their focus.) Hack squats felt right strong though! Haven't done them in quite a while, and pushed out 11 reps for 308lbs really well, so I bumped the weight up by 45lbs and got another 6 out - I think I could have gone stronger, even 4 plates a side could have been a goer.. I love it how strength increases on power exercises like the squat translate over to strength on machine or other exercises!

Stiff legged deadlifts didn't happen, I gave them a shot, however my lower back is fried from yesterdays deadlifts, so I'm thinking next week I might switch lower power hamstrings to leg curls..

Energy - 7/10 - I think I needed more sleep last night, or at lest to get to sleep before 11.30pm, otherwise I just find myself waking up (just) and feeling groggy for a couple of hours in the morning..

Motivation - 6.10 - Rough getting out of bed this morning - I NEED to dial my sleep in to at least 10pm I'm out to it.

Strength - hit a PR on the squats, so it's moving up..

Quality of Training - 5/10, compared to last nights session it wasn't very good - however a PR was hit and hack squats dominated, so I made it happen with only 7 or so hours in between last night session and this morning session..

Overall Sense of Feeling - GOOD - I need some sleep! lol
    Nick Ritchie

essential222 is just really nice. (+1000) essential222 is just really nice. (+1000) essential222 is just really nice. (+1000) essential222 is just really nice. (+1000) essential222 is just really nice. (+1000) essential222 is just really nice. (+1000) essential222 is just really nice. (+1000) essential222 is just really nice. (+1000) essential222 is just really nice. (+1000) essential222 is just really nice. (+1000) essential222 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Some solid training sessions dude!

Dont worry about the odd bad one, today was one for me struggled hard on a 140kg bench single which is 10kg less than my max =(

After an epic deadlift pr yesterday and general back rapage guess I can't expect much else though haha,

Got any advice for a first time cutter? Rolling with minimum carbs atm and not counting cals, just eat fat and protein when hungry basically, only thing I gripe about is sometimes gym workouts are tough as **** after a full day labouring carrying heavy **** around carbed out,

Also is it normal to jump 3-4kg's after a cheat/high carb day then loose it within 24-48 hours?
    ***PMC - Where Amazing Happens***

"There is no such thing as a good time for badluck" - Phill Anselmo in 'On march the saints' by Down.

Originally Posted by essential222 View Post
    Some solid training sessions dude!

Dont worry about the odd bad one, today was one for me struggled hard on a 140kg bench single which is 10kg less than my max =(

After an epic deadlift pr yesterday and general back rapage guess I can't expect much else though haha,

Got any advice for a first time cutter? Rolling with minimum carbs atm and not counting cals, just eat fat and protein when hungry basically, only thing I gripe about is sometimes gym workouts are tough as **** after a full day labouring carrying heavy **** around carbed out,

Also is it normal to jump 3-4kg's after a cheat/high carb day then loose it within 24-48 hours?
    I noticed your lifts from yesterday - your strong dude! Show's the dedication you've been putting in all these years.. I saw your post a couple of years ago on NZBB.com when you did your first bulk and thought that was impressive. What you're doing now is even more so - Keep it up!

As for cutting - Your variables, pro fat fruit/veg carbs all depend on your workload and body type. The trick is not so much to cut any one thing out, but to slowly decrease a particular macronutrient for a period of time while systematically using training as another variable for calorie expendature. If you're labouring all day then you may possibly be able to get shredded even on higher carbs than most, and from what I've seen of your pics and progress that would fit about right. I might look at a moderate protein moderate fat and low to moderate carb intake, using carbs as the variable over time for continued fat loss.

I guess, if you're getting the results you want already and just want some additional tips, then there's a couple of things that can prove useful such as, consuming enough fibre in your diet (20-30g per day), eating plenty of green leafy vegetables (these act as a filler and also help to burn more calories due to their tough digestion rate), 'digestive enzymes' are useful for making sure your body is producing sufficient digestive enzymes to breakdown your higher protein and fat intake, and with training, slowly increasing your cardio (depending on your day job) over specific time period.

Hope that helps.

If you have any other questions, feel free to send me an email on the address below.

Nick Ritchie

Training

Dumbbell Incline Bench Press
    77x9
    77x10
    77x8

Smith machine Close grip bench press
    110x12
    110x11
    110x9

Dumbbell flat bench press
    77x9
    77x910

44x11 - 88x10
    44x12 - 88x10
    44x10 - 103x9

187x12 - 44x12
    187x12 - 44x10
    187x12 - 44x10

Cable Crossovers
    3 sets of 10-12

Cable Curls supersetted with dips
    198x12 - BW x9
    198x12 - BW x8
    198x10 - BW x6

Misc
    Brought the game today with lower rest periods and a higher intensity as i neared the supersets of the session - increased some strength and by decreasing the rest periods between supersets i got a BIGGER pump! EPIC. Also, last lot of exercise supersets was the cable curl x dips - at all for the whole 3 sets = AWESOME! My arms were on fire by the end of it and i noticed, they stayed pumped for half the day afterwards lol! - Right, I've got to get to work! Just quick update today..

Energy - 8/10

Motivation - 9/10

Strength - 9/10

Quality of Training - 9/10

Overall Sense of Feeling - GREAT workout - went in and achieved what i set out to do! ONCE again! Bring on tomorrow back session, then some much needed rest over the weekend..

*Note: I hit some cardio at the beach the other day.. was a fantastic day out there at Taylors Mistake:

Nick Ritchie