View Poll Results: How much would you be willing to spend on a home cable machien?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • £50-100

0 0%
  • £100-£200

2 16.67%
  • £200-£300

2 16.67%
  • £300+

8 66.67%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ryannnn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ryannnn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ryannnn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ryannnn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ryannnn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ryannnn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ryannnn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ryannnn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ryannnn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ryannnn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ryannnn is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How much you be willing to spend on a home cable machine?

As I am doing an engineering course at my local college, my chosen project is to design and possibly construct a cable machine. Whilst doing lots of research on pulley mechanisms and mechanical advantages etc.

EDIT:
    Ok, Pounds to dollars.
    $77-$155
    $155- $310
    $310-$464
    $464+

Also, if there is a finished product, there will only be one and it won't be finished till sometime next year and thats IF I make one. Now I'm just researching like mad, and all of your responses and votes are very much appreciated.
    Last edited by Ryannnn; 08-24-2010 at 07:37 AM.

dparty82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dparty82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dparty82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dparty82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dparty82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dparty82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dparty82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dparty82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dparty82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dparty82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dparty82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I need a conversion chart.

labuski has a spectacular aura about. (+250) labuski has a spectacular aura about. (+250) labuski has a spectacular aura about. (+250) labuski has a spectacular aura about. (+250) labuski has a spectacular aura about. (+250) labuski has a spectacular aura about. (+250) labuski has a spectacular aura about. (+250) labuski has a spectacular aura about. (+250) labuski has a spectacular aura about. (+250) labuski has a spectacular aura about. (+250) labuski has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Ryannnn View Post
    As I am doing an engineering course at my local college, my chosen project is to design and possibly construct a cable machine. Whilst doing lots of research on pulley mechanisms and mechanical advantages etc.
    In for one. You build and I'll test/keep.

Depending on how smooth the action is and the amount of features, I'd pay between 300-700 us dollars.

Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I paid 350 for mine, it's the slightly older version of this;

http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/...l/12344_p.html

It's good for the money over here, so if you can build one as good for cheaper, nice.

What do you need a conversion chart for Dparty?

Edit, oh 100GBP is about $150 at the moment, so 300GBP+ is like $450+
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 22

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Sorry I wouldn't spend a Dime on a cable gym.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    Sorry I wouldn't spend a Dime on a cable gym.
    Ditto....maybe if someone GAVE it to me, but other than that...I don't have a use for it honestly.
    "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

The more I workout at commercial gyms, the more I hate commercial gyms.

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think it'd be great if someone sold and affordable cable driven belt squat.

Ryannnn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ryannnn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ryannnn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ryannnn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ryannnn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ryannnn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ryannnn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ryannnn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ryannnn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ryannnn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ryannnn is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Kodokan View Post
    I think it'd be great if someone sold and affordable cable driven belt squat.
    Could you please explain how this would be done? It sounds new and interesting.

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Could you please explain how this would be done? It sounds new and interesting.
    Think of a dip belt attached to a low row pulley. You tube dip belt cable squats

Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...id=167&pid=349

http://store.sorinex.com/Belt_Squat_...lt_p/bsm-1.htm

Those links are to a couple of the commercial hip belt squat machines out there. I do these now using a belt and a loading pin...but to get the right depth stand on a couple of cinder blocks.

This link shows an attachment to a power rack/lat setup which can be used as a belt squat.
    http://www.texasstrengthsystems.com/powerracks.html

I could see there being a purpose built, plate loaded, lat/low row/belt squat machine...but one more in the $500-$800 dollar range rather than the $2500+ commercial units you see out there.

Power lift sells a leverage one which you might enjoy just looking at:
    http://www.power-lift.com/product_de...?product_id=44

...And ideally you would be able to start from the standing position....Most of the DIY setups start from the bottom position which is much more difficult.

Thats how I thought it might've worked, very good ideas guys, thanks, i might do that

This shows an interesting home-made version of this...

http://www.home-gym-bodybuilding.com...elt-squat.html

H'mm, thats sparked an idea off, maybe the machine could have the cable to attached to a bar or something via a hook or a clip at a bout waist level. Then as the user attaches the hook or clip to the dip belt, the the bar could be removed or something so the tension is placed on the dip belt.

Thus eliminitating the problem of not being able to start in a standing position and also there would be no lose cables etc as on some machines

I was also thinking of designing it so the user faces the machine and then possibly adding hand grips to the side.

What'cha think?

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    H'mm, thats sparked an idea off, maybe the machine could have the cable to attached to a bar or something via a hook or a clip at a bout waist level. Then as the user attaches the hook or clip to the dip belt, the the bar could be removed or something so the tension is placed on the dip belt.

Thus eliminitating the problem of not being able to start in a standing position and also there would be no lose cables etc as on some machines

I was also thinking of designing it so the user faces the machine and then possibly adding hand grips to the side.

What'cha think?
    I think simply Squatting in a power rack with a bar across my back is a far better method than what you're talking about. You're trying to re-invent the wheel, but it's your time, your dime.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz

What'cha think?
    Someone has already come up with a good simple design for a machine that does this, no pulleys or cables needed.

http://www.loadthebar.com/pitshark.shtml

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    I think simply Squatting in a power rack with a bar across my back is a far better method than what you're talking about. You're trying to re-invent the wheel, but it's your time, your dime.
    It is better, but there are reasons for doing the hip belt squat as an alternative related to injury...and maybe for bb'ing reasons for the quad focus.

I was doing these more for few months after hurting my back, and found it one of the only ways of getting a decent leg workout at the time. but I find the setup enough of a pain that I don't do it as often now that I can do a normal squat again.

You might do this following an upper body injury too, like shoulder/pec...etc. Although there's also the SS bar for that.

I still liked the movement, though, and think it makes a good accessory exercise if you have the setup for it.

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    Someone has already come up with a good simple design for a machine that does this, no pulleys or cables needed.

http://www.loadthebar.com/pitshark.shtml

I absolutely love that piece of equipment, but I think its too expensive by a mile. I would and will put one in my home if I can ever find one at a decent price. I emailed them at one point and they had a used one they would deliver and demo for me in my home for the low some of $2500!

Still love the pit shark though!
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

Originally Posted by Keetman View Post
    I absolutely love that piece of equipment, but I think its too expensive by a mile. I would and will put one in my home if I can ever find one at a decent price. I emailed them at one point and they had a used one they would deliver and demo for me in my home for the low some of $2500!

I really agree, it looks great but that's too much money for me. I like their 'deadzone' ramps too, but lol also too much for that IMO.

Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Try looking into the "Quad Blaster" if you have problems with your back.

I bought the plans for it last year but never did get around to building (Life gets in the way sometimes) it and it's an easy build.

I guess you can build one yourself but I thought hey the guy put his time into it so I just bought the instructions off him via download.

Check out youtube and google "Quad Blaster"

Originally Posted by Kodokan View Post
    It is better, but there are reasons for doing the hip belt squat as an alternative related to injury...and maybe for bb'ing reasons for the quad focus.

I was doing these more for few months after hurting my back, and found it one of the only ways of getting a decent leg workout at the time. but I find the setup enough of a pain that I don't do it as often now that I can do a normal squat again.

You might do this following an upper body injury too, like shoulder/pec...etc. Although there's also the SS bar for that.

I still liked the movement, though, and think it makes a good accessory exercise if you have the setup for it.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."~~~Benjamin Franklin

Originally Posted by Keetman View Post

I agree, but at least he came up with a simple solution to a problem that actually exists. Not like the guy who made the dumbbell arms essentially creating a dumbbell smith. there was an expensive solution that didn't solve any problem $30 Powerhooks didn't.

If he could get that Pit Shark thing into a flat easy shipping box with a delivered price under $500 I would own one. Even if I had to get rid of anything short of my power cage to fit it in. Actually if I could figure out how to use a FreeSpotter hung off the Pit Shark even my cage could go.

Guys, do you think there could be a market for a cheaper version of this?
    http://fitnessdepotaz.com/index.php?...roducts_id=107

Also If there are any improvements that could be made to machines, or there are any flaws with current ones, please state them.

thanks.

ctninja9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ctninja9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ctninja9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ctninja9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ctninja9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ctninja9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ctninja9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ctninja9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ctninja9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ctninja9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ctninja9 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i thought when you said cable system you were talking about this http://us.commercial.lifefitness.com...fm/cablemotion
    Repping will be appreciated...

It doesn't really matter what machine it is, I havn't decided that yet, at the moment i'm just looking for how much people would be willing to pay etc and what improvements could be made to current ideas.

ctninja9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ctninja9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ctninja9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ctninja9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ctninja9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ctninja9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ctninja9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ctninja9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ctninja9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ctninja9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ctninja9 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    well i would buy the one i posted and its right at $5000
    Repping will be appreciated...

Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I own this one and I think I paid $1000..to tell you the truth I don't remember
    the exact cost and would have to check my old posts as I was buying alot of stuff back then.

Space saving cable crossover's are pretty popular now but don't expect the hardcore
    guys to buy them..then again they aren't a big part of the market anyway. It's the general public that you should be aiming for.

I'n happy with mine and use it for alot of things but would rather have paid a cheaper price.

One thing it has to have a high and low pulley for sure and be adjustable from top to bottom to hit different angles ..Without the low pulley don't waste your time. The low pulley adds many other workouts .

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."~~~Benjamin Franklin

Originally Posted by Bluerain View Post
    I own this one and I think I paid $1000..to tell you the truth I don't remember
    the exact cost and would have to check my old posts as I was buying alot of stuff back then.

Space saving cable crossover's are pretty popular now but don't expect the hardcore
    guys to buy them..then again they aren't a big part of the market anyway. It's the general public that you should be aiming for.

I'n happy with mine and use it for alot of things but would rather have paid a cheaper price.

One thing it has to have a high and low pulley for sure and be adjustable from top to bottom to hit different angles ..Without the low pulley don't waste your time. The low pulley adds many other workouts .

yeah, sounds good, I was already thinking of packing alot onto it to make it as much user friendly as possible

yeah, sounds good, I was already thinking of packing alot onto it to make it as much user friendly as possible
    I don't know what type of material you will be using but shipping is the killer with large ticket items that weigh alot.

Another thing to think of ..When I do pulley rows with my ironmaster bench I have no place to put my feet up against. So adding some kind of portable foot rest will be a great idea.

Also make sure the height is high enough for Lat pull downs. With mine I have to sit on the floor to get a real good stretch otherwise I ahve to set the bench farther back to do them but now it's a cross between a row and lat pulldown and not a true lat pull down.

Understand ?

It will be interesting to see what you come up with

If this is a basic engineering course practicality is no part of it, heck even most working engineers need help to make their ideas practical. You probably should do something that uses more than a straight one to one pulley relationship and actually demonstrates some understanding of engineering principals. none of the machines you have posted or mentioned so far need more than a straight line 2 pulley system and some basic understanding of stress points.

Very Important

This has been a pet peeve with many on this forum regarding the width of the space
    saving cable crossover. This pet peeve has turned people off from even buying it .

Some people have a longer wing span (Arms) and cannot get a good stretch when doing pecs
    becasue the side railings are too close.

Another thing is when doing shoulder presses they are too far apart for some.

The wing span is brought up alot so that's more important.

Suggestion...

See the crossbar that goes across the middle in the picture I posted ?

Well if you could make that adjustable (Slides in and out within itself with a bolt to hold in place) this way people can make the cable crossover wider or smaller according to their own body size. This would be a great addition and a big thing for sure.

Also maybe add some hooks so people can attach Rings or Bands.

I'm sure I'll come up with more ideas