-BodySculptor- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -BodySculptor- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -BodySculptor- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -BodySculptor- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -BodySculptor- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -BodySculptor- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -BodySculptor- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -BodySculptor- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -BodySculptor- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -BodySculptor- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -BodySculptor- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question The Athletic Certification Training Commission (ACT)

I read through a sticky on this personal training forum; which in turn led me to a website that compared the rates each personal training certification costs. After looking around on the website I came across online courses to become a certified personal trainer, these courses caught my attention because I still have to attend high school, so naturally courses I could do at home would seem most beneficial for the mean time. I then came across an online program to become an ACT certified personal trainer; which is an organization I've never heard of so I naturally was interested in investigating this organization, claims of free tuition via a 300 page textbook leading to an ACT Certification Exam are promised to give you personal training certification. I then started reading through everything on the programs website to make sure their claims are of good validity, coming across the only aspect that is truly against them, they are a newer organization and have not been accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) as of now but are currently working on that process.

I joined the free section of the organization (there is another section which costs $65 to get extra teacher support, online classes/ interaction, ect.) and downloaded the text book. As I skimmed through the text it appeared to have a lot of useful information in it regardless if ever being certified by this organization will help land a job as a personal trainer or not. I figured I would post information of the certification to get feedback of what everyone else thinks and if getting this certification could have advantages.

Negative Aspects: Not NCCA accredited as of yet, and may be a waste of time if the certification has no value

Positive Aspects: Personal Training Certification for free that may be universally known as time progresses, a good textbook with a solid foundation of knowledge for any fitness minded person, no time limit to complete the course, and no prerequisites required before the course is taken.

The Athletic Certification Training (ACT) website:

Website for personal training price comparison and review of ACT from said website: Thoughts? Questions? Comments?
    Last edited by ctgblue; 06-01-2010 at 04:51 AM.

Makes the boys blush. LittleCharlie's Avatar
    LittleCharlie is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittleCharlie is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittleCharlie is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittleCharlie is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittleCharlie is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittleCharlie is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittleCharlie is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittleCharlie is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittleCharlie is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittleCharlie is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittleCharlie is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Ask yourself...

Does a certificate where your actual teaching techniques are not examined actually mean anything? Study at home to be a personal trainer courses are IMO a waste of money. You need someone teaching you in person, at the very least to check that you know how to teach the excercises and movements safely and without hurting anyone.

Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by -BodySculptor- View Post
    I read through a sticky on this personal training forum; which in turn led me to a website that compared the rates each personal training certification costs. After looking around on the website I came across online courses to become a certified personal trainer, these courses caught my attention because I still have to attend high school, so naturally courses I could do at home would seem most beneficial for the mean time. I then came across an online program to become an ACT certified personal trainer; which is an organization I've never heard of so I naturally was interested in investigating this organization, claims of free tuition via a 300 page textbook leading to an ACT Certification Exam are promised to give you personal training certification. I then started reading through everything on the programs website to make sure their claims are of good validity, coming across the only aspect that is truly against them, they are a newer organization and have not been accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) as of now but are currently working on that process.

I joined the free section of the organization (there is another section which costs $65 to get extra teacher support, online classes/ interaction, ect.) and downloaded the text book. As I skimmed through the text it appeared to have a lot of useful information in it regardless if ever being certified by this organization will help land a job as a personal trainer or not. I figured I would post information of the certification to get feedback of what everyone else thinks and if getting this certification could have advantages.

Negative Aspects: Not NCCA accredited as of yet, and may be a waste of time if the certification has no value

Positive Aspects: Personal Training Certification for free that may be universally known as time progresses, a good textbook with a solid foundation of knowledge for any fitness minded person, no time limit to complete the course, and no prerequisites required before the course is taken.

The Athletic Certification Training (ACT) website: http://actcertification.org/

Website for personal training price comparison and review of ACT from said website: http://www.starting-a-personal-train...n-reviews.html

Thoughts? Questions? Comments?
    This has been brought up five or six times the past month or so since they sent out a email to a bunch of trainers... I'll say it again, their cert is worthless as is. If they ever get accredited by anyone (which is doubtful) then by all means get it.

My advice is go ahead and order the study materials for a well recognized cert (one of the top 3) and get to studying. That way when you graduate high school you will be truly prepared for the test.
    ~Coach Rick Sterling Tarleton
    USA Weightlifting, USA Track&Field
    CrossFit L-1, ISSA CFT, Pilates
    www.CoachRickSterling.com

-BodySculptor- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -BodySculptor- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -BodySculptor- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -BodySculptor- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -BodySculptor- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -BodySculptor- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -BodySculptor- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -BodySculptor- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -BodySculptor- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -BodySculptor- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -BodySculptor- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by LittleCharlie View Post
    Ask yourself...

Does a certificate where your actual teaching techniques are not examined actually mean anything? Study at home to be a personal trainer courses are IMO a waste of money. You need someone teaching you in person, at the very least to check that you know how to teach the excercises and movements safely and without hurting anyone.
    While what you say is a valid point this wouldn't be the only certificate I would go for, more so just a reference towards how personal training could turn out for me once I do attend a college to enhance my learning. I would end up with the hands on part of studying at some point, and use the textbook to enhance my knowledge of this field before I can attend higher level courses.
    Originally Posted by Lasharm View Post
    This has been brought up five or six times the past month or so since they sent out a email to a bunch of trainers... I'll say it again, their cert is worthless as is. If they ever get accredited by anyone (which is doubtful) then by all means get it.

My advice is go ahead and order the study materials for a well recognized cert (one of the top 3) and get to studying. That way when you graduate high school you will be truly prepared for the test.
    I'm sorry for bringing up an already reviewed topic, I just wanted to get feedback as to what others thought of this certificate, and if nothing else then to point out that anyone can download the textbook for free if interest is provoked. Your statement is exactly what I was thinking; however this is a free way to see just where I stand first starting out as a personal trainer, so if nothing else a sample of how a real health course could be and a way to enhance my health and fitness knowledge without spending any money.

guyinpv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I downloaded the free course as well, and also upgraded to the "paid" version when they had it on sale during a holiday for $25.

I haven't gone through the book much yet, and they upgraded and revised the book once so I downloaded a new version.
    The forum is near empty, it's just new, few people using it. But the instructors are there if you do ask something.
    I attented one of the online "classes" and it is pretty much one of the instructors reading powerpoint slides word for word. So not very helpful, just repeating what's in the book mostly. However, people in the class can ask questions and so the instructor does deal with that. And they do go over content or show images or go into detail a little more than the book sometimes. So it's good to attend, and the classes are recorded so you can watch them later.
    You can also E-mail the instructors with any questions and get answered back relatively quickly.

My opinion is that free is always good! However I wouldn't be flaunting the cert like a great accomplishment, after all it's just reading 300 pages and getting the questions right. BUT, since I don't have money for ISSA (which is the one I want), I figure this one will get me started, and if I study it, it can only make ISSA that much easier to get through, and why NOT have two certs to start with?

The other benefit is that people might want to study fitness training for no more than personal enrichment, and not really career. If so, a free program would be an excellent choice for them to simply learn and get the cert if they like.

I wouldn't assume free means low quality, as this is a logical error and pretty much also means that ALL information freely given on this site is low quality as well
    Or that every excellent trainer out there who has a blog where they share free info must be low quality and giving poor education. Or free podcasts or Youtube vids for that matter. Free doesn't mean poor, often the best advice is free. Just don't assume any gym is going to recognize them as a standard or an authority. Just use it to impress your friends, and get your warmed up for the big dogs.

tacleader has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Certification

Originally Posted by Lasharm View Post

I keep reading from a lot of people about lack of certification, especially NCCA certification. I have trained at a few gyms and have seen a lot of ISSA certifications hanging on the wall or behind a trainers name.
    I am in no way condemning ISSA, I think their program is excellent after speaking with a few of these trainers. I have been considering their course also. But, ISSA is only accredited by the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC) and is a RECOGNIZED member of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), but are not certified by NCCA either (they explain why on their web site, and I agree with their view). A lot of their training information is available online, including their test. They have books and study items for sale to help learn the field of training in personal fitness. The only difference I see in the two courses is that you don't pay for the book or the initial test with ACT.
    I have seen trainers with some of those TOP OF THE LINE certifications that I wouldn't let them pay ME to be trained with.
    Some people don't care where you got your training, as long as you show that you know what you're doing and can educate them on the correct path to fitness.
    My son-in-law has a Doctor degree in Physical Therapy, but doesn't know a whole lot about personal training. He is also looking into the personal training programs to help get greater education in the fitness field.

oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lightbulb

The Athletic Certification Training (ACT) website: http://actcertification.org/

Website for personal training price comparison and review of ACT from said website: http://www.starting-a-personal-train...n-reviews.html

Thoughts? Questions? Comments?
    This sounds great. Really with any certification, you get a bunch of people together to say we are going to offer this certification, write a book and a test (or hold classes), and then you're done!

I called up ACSM today and asked them what sets them apart. I got some vague answers about being the gold standard, and the go to people for other certifications. But in reality its a reputation in the industry.

Similar response with ISSA, but the reality of any training program is you get out what you put in. And this goes for career as well. You're always going to be learning, working, and growing. So this would undoubtedly be a good start.

And if it sucks, then do another one! No loss associated.

I myself am going to do this as well, sounds fun.

AFuturePT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just to throw it out there. I just took this exam without reading the manual, and passed. Although, I do have a lot of course work completed through an ACE curriculum college. I just recently took the ACE exam as well, and thought I would take this since it was free (hell, why not? Its free, right? Nothing to lose), and I realized, a lot of these questions I had seen on the ACE exam. I never would have passed this without prior education. Some questions were a little off from ACE, but that was expected. I think it may need a little more work, but it is certainly on the right track! So, if you dont have too much knowledge in this field, I would definitely suggest reading the text before taking the exam! There are guidelines you need to know about that you may have not known about from just learning while training people.

I do believe that people should absolutely get hands-on work done in addition to any certification! Just because you read something out of a book and pass a test has little meaning out there in the field of training clients! I'm new to the fitness field, have all this education including hands-on work, and I still feel that I dont have enough knowledge to train people, especially special populations.
    If it's important, you'll find a way. If it's not, you'll find an excuse!

oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just took and passed this certification test today. It was more difficult than I thought it would be. For those interested a rigorous study of the materials is recommended.

As far as the 'validity' of this test, I don't see how it could be a scam as they are not asking for any money; you can take the test completely free.

Perhaps most major gym chains won't accept it as a valid form of certification, but for personal edification I think its a great beginner program.

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    The problem with an "online only" cert, is that, while you may be able to "answer the questions right" this still does not mean you have a clue how to train a PERSON. When it comes down to it, a really smart 12 yr old could study and get this certification... see what I mean?
    But:
    What exercises do you need to avoid for xxx injury?
    What is correct form for variations of xxxx exercise?
    etc.. etc..

This is why gyms do not generally accept 'online only' certifications
    There are online cert programs where you study the materials, than attend the all day classes, take the written and practical exams, and gain certification that way. Some are not terribly expensive.
    We went with IFTA. But my wife and I have been at this a long time. I found it very comprehensive and challenging.
    The problem I had was that I knew I had to answer the questions the way IFTA wanted them answered. But I did not agree with all of them, having 30yrs experience in the gym and with numerous mentors, trainers, and competitors.

Training is part knowledge, but a LOT of experience. So be careful when you are putting people in a position for potential injury.
    Last edited by ctgblue; 06-01-2010 at 04:52 AM.
    lift big 2 get big
    Former NPC Masters Competitor
    Certified Personal Trainer
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
    So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??

Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes
    Then, you are a mile away AND, you have their shoes!

DIRECT WORDS FROM THE CEO....
    -Mods cannot do name changes
    -Mods cannot mass delete posts/threads

Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ctgblue View Post
    The problem with an "online only" cert, is that, while you may be able to "answer the questions right"...
    This also goes for any certification that can be done without hands on experience, which is pretty much all of the ones here in the USA since I don't recall any requiring any real experience or workshops to get. You just order the book and take the test at their testing center.
    ~Coach Rick Sterling Tarleton
    USA Weightlifting, USA Track&Field
    CrossFit L-1, ISSA CFT, Pilates
    www.CoachRickSterling.com

Looks as if my information has been of use to people on here regardless if it's just for 'personal enrichment,' or an attempt to see if this ever becomes a legitimate personal training organization, that’s what I was hopping for in the long run. Even if this becomes more socially accepted as a reliable and acceptable organization I agree with the fact that hands on experience is required to really get a feel for being a personal trainer.

davidjeff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I know one website providing study material and everything needed to qualify for certification exams, please check it
    examsking.com/

3g2p1p has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 3g2p1p has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 3g2p1p has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 3g2p1p has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 3g2p1p has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 3g2p1p has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 3g2p1p has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 3g2p1p has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 3g2p1p has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hi, If you want the cert than go for it, the book is pretty good reference and the test is free. If you plan on being an independent trainer in the future, all a certification provides is the oppurtunity to start learning to become a trainer. Except for their own program, liability insurance companies wont accept ACT as a certification yet but im sure they will soon. Best wishes

Personal Trainer lilmanthatcould's Avatar
    lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I did the ACT cause I figured why not.... Its free

I was surprised at some of the info in the book though, it covered more in-depth about hazards like heat-stroke, heat-exhaustion, etc. and special populations more then my NASM did if I remember correctly

I hope in the long run it does become accredited

jojov3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

The Athletic Certification Training (ACT) website:

Website for personal training price comparison and review of ACT from said website: Thoughts? Questions? Comments?
    I took the exam and passed after about 2 months of studying on and off. Personally I felt the course was pretty informative. Since I work as a CNA the special populations and proper techniques to take vital signs was accurate. The only complaint is that I felt the program should of covered the body anatomy (which it really doesn't do) and required to actually design programs. Besides that I learned a lot and for the cost you can't complain.

mrmercedes22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrmercedes22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrmercedes22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrmercedes22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrmercedes22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrmercedes22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrmercedes22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrmercedes22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrmercedes22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrmercedes22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrmercedes22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Did you pay for the pro version? I paid for the pro!
    Last edited by mrmercedes22; 11-24-2010 at 10:21 AM. Reason: none

Jershow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Can't hurt to educate yourself...

Looks as if my information has been of use to people on here regardless if it's just for 'personal enrichment,' or an attempt to see if this ever becomes a legitimate personal training organization, that’s what I was hopping for in the long run. Even if this becomes more socially accepted as a reliable and acceptable organization I agree with the fact that hands on experience is required to really get a feel for being a personal trainer.
    I went through the course myself and it covers a lot of the stuff that others do.

If you have the basics down of how to train ; proper techniques, breathing correctly, rest periods, how to train in the sagittal, frontal, and transverse planes, proper alignment of the body during lifts, not locking out joints when lifting, periodization, mixing up routines every 4-6 wks.,antagonist and protagonist muscles and of course heart rate zones and when to train in each.

Basic nutrition; differences between simple and complex carbs, whey proteins ; isolate, casein , soy, concentrate, and blends, as well as when to take all these then you will be ok . Knowing special populations will also help you big time.

The book expalins it quite well and paying the extra $65 helps out more than you think.
    I had been insured with Sadler Sports ( great people there), but $235 for 2mil policy. $105 if you become an ACT member( paying the $65).

GTG...Good To GO!

Just do it!!

a7stringkilla is a name known to all. (+5000) a7stringkilla is a name known to all. (+5000) a7stringkilla is a name known to all. (+5000) a7stringkilla is a name known to all. (+5000) a7stringkilla is a name known to all. (+5000) a7stringkilla is a name known to all. (+5000) a7stringkilla is a name known to all. (+5000) a7stringkilla is a name known to all. (+5000) a7stringkilla is a name known to all. (+5000) a7stringkilla is a name known to all. (+5000) a7stringkilla is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Ive said this before and Ill say it again, I would listen to a trainer with no certification way before I listen to a guy who didnt care enough to get a good one. I dont know anything really about ISSA, I hear mostly good things about their cert but there are some advanced ***** such as the PES and CES that you would not be able to take if you had the ISSA. Just get a good certification so youre not crying about getting doors shut in your face in the future.
    EQUIPMENT CREW VATO #72

PUB BURGERS / IMMERSIVE HORROR / OLD SCHOOL THRASH

Registered User JesseWilliams00's Avatar
    JesseWilliams00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I know it's an old thread. Just bumping to let you guys know that ACT is now NCCA-accredited. So for those looking for a cheaper cert, this might be an option!

Peanut Butter Enthusiast slbross's Avatar
    slbross will become famous soon enough. (+50) slbross will become famous soon enough. (+50) slbross will become famous soon enough. (+50) slbross will become famous soon enough. (+50) slbross will become famous soon enough. (+50) slbross will become famous soon enough. (+50) slbross will become famous soon enough. (+50) slbross will become famous soon enough. (+50) slbross will become famous soon enough. (+50) slbross will become famous soon enough. (+50) slbross will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It is free.

I have already studied for a much better cert, so just out of curiosity I downloaded the book, skimmed it for half an hour, took the test for half an hour, got an 85%, am now ACTION certified. I've been asking different gym management and trainers I meet if they would hire someone who just had this cert. I haven't found anyone who said they would.

If you want to work independently, I guess you could go on the idea that most clients don't know one cert from another, and I guess you could see if there are insurance providers who will cover you with this cert. I guess.

BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500)
    their "real" cert isnt free. The one thats "free" and can be taken on the computer isnt accredited. Their actual ncca accredited one has to be taken at a testing center and is $65