-DRENN- is a jewel in the rough. (+500) -DRENN- is a jewel in the rough. (+500) -DRENN- is a jewel in the rough. (+500) -DRENN- is a jewel in the rough. (+500) -DRENN- is a jewel in the rough. (+500) -DRENN- is a jewel in the rough. (+500) -DRENN- is a jewel in the rough. (+500) -DRENN- is a jewel in the rough. (+500) -DRENN- is a jewel in the rough. (+500) -DRENN- is a jewel in the rough. (+500) -DRENN- is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

18 and being a Trainer.

So i am taking my test in a week and im kind of questioning this path. I no its not something i want to do for teh rest of my life but mainly while im in school. But will i be taken seriously being an 18-19 year old kid? Will i even get any clients?
    Nesta Personal Trainer

AnemicOne will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnemicOne will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnemicOne will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnemicOne will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnemicOne will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnemicOne will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnemicOne will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnemicOne will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnemicOne will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnemicOne will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnemicOne will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i would like to know this too. i got certified a little over a month ago and im still looking for a job.
    "Stand Your Ground"

"There is simply no other exercise (and certainly no machine) that produces the level of central nervous system activity, improved balance and coordination, skeletal loading and bone density enhancement, muscular stimulation and growth, connective tissue stress and strength, psychological demand and toughness, and overall systemic conditioning than the correctly performed full squat." –Mark Rippetoe

-DRENN- is a jewel in the rough. (+500) -DRENN- is a jewel in the rough. (+500) -DRENN- is a jewel in the rough. (+500) -DRENN- is a jewel in the rough. (+500) -DRENN- is a jewel in the rough. (+500) -DRENN- is a jewel in the rough. (+500) -DRENN- is a jewel in the rough. (+500) -DRENN- is a jewel in the rough. (+500) -DRENN- is a jewel in the rough. (+500) -DRENN- is a jewel in the rough. (+500) -DRENN- is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    well i do have a job in a way, my gym told me that when i pass the test to let them know and theyll hire me right there.....so i jsut wanna no what to expect.
    Nesta Personal Trainer

JNo20 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JNo20 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JNo20 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JNo20 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JNo20 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JNo20 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JNo20 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JNo20 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JNo20 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JNo20 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JNo20 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I started as a trainer when I had just turned 20. Without question, the most important thing you can do is ACT CONFIDENT. If you look the part and act the part, people will believe you ARE the part.
    Meet PRs @220
    Squat: 675, (8-22-2008)
    Bench: 455, (8-22-2008)
    Deadlift: 611, (3-29-2008)
    Total: 1735, (8-22-2008)

ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    ive been thinking about this lately since im taking my cert test soon

why do your clients need to know that you are 18 years old? like someone told me be mature be confident and if you know your stuff you will do fine

someone also told me people might feel more comfortable with a younger guy

Originally Posted by JNo20 View Post
    I started as a trainer when I had just turned 20. Without question, the most important thing you can do is ACT CONFIDENT. If you look the part and act the part, people will believe you ARE the part.
    dont act confident BE confident!
    Last edited by ThatArmyKid; 11-04-2008 at 09:01 PM.

Originally Posted by ThatArmyKid View Post
    ive been thinking about this lately since im taking my cert test soon

why do your clients need to know that you are 18 years old? like someone told me be mature be confident and if you know your stuff you will do fine

someone also told me people might feel more comfortable with a younger guy
    you no that is a good point, if i show im physically in great shape and i have knowledge then the only reason someone wouldn't want me to train them is them being a pigheaded person. repped bro.
    Nesta Personal Trainer

Apachhe2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Apachhe2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Apachhe2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Apachhe2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Apachhe2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Apachhe2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Apachhe2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Apachhe2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Apachhe2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Apachhe2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Apachhe2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    confidence is everything. i got certified and started training when i was 18 and it didn't take long to realize just how important confidence is. don't let your clients question you because of your age. be assertive and make them understand that you know what you're doing.
    Owner @ Gymless Fitness: http://gymlessfit.com

godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Be yourself, be confident and most importantly HAVE FUN. The people who get ahead in life in this industry enjoy the industry as if they are kids opening up an xmas gift for the first time. Love what you do and you will fill up with clients naturally and easily. It's easy to say, I know, and it will be hard at first but just be yourself, make yourself available a LOT or else it's going to be hard to get clients, (i learned that the hard way at my gym) and think positive!
    You Have To Sacrifice What You Are, For What You Will Become.

I rep back!

National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) Certified - 10 years

Follow me on Social Media:

Instagram: @Understarmor
    ********: Paul Starnes Fitness

Registered User trance__dreamer's Avatar
    trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    yea. i was actually thinking about this the other day, too.

i'm getting my foot into the health (both fitness & nutrition) door by becomming an aerobics instructor, as i enjoy taking step classes & ADORE dancing classes & all of that stuff and am confident in saying that i'd enjoy teaching 'em as well. (besides, i'm getting MIGHTY sick of waitressing, etc.)

but that's just 1 thing i'd like to do. i'd also like to become a certified personal trainer. (honestly, i kinda act like one now, as i assist the very few friends of mine who are actually starting to give a damn about their health.) but yea. once i get certified, i would be absolutely thrilled @ training teenagers & young adults; females, specifically & chubby, specifically.

the end result of mine would be to become a lifestyles coach for these females. i.e.: i want to eventually help people w/ nutrition; not just fitness! =)

Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Adrenaline54 View Post
    So i am taking my test in a week and im kind of questioning this path. I no its not something i want to do for teh rest of my life but mainly while im in school. But will i be taken seriously being an 18-19 year old kid? Will i even get any clients?
    Depends on how you look and behave. I'm not much older than you but people constantly guess my age to be in the mid to late twenties due to my maturity level and appearance. If you look and act like a college kid, you'll pretty much be limited to working with college kids. I happen not to look or act anything like other people my age, so I've never found it to be a problem. I'm also European by birth and upbringing, so that makes a difference.

College kids don't buy personal training.

Originally Posted by trance__dreamer View Post
    yea. i was actually thinking about this the other day, too.
    It's much, much less of a problem for women. There is no shortage of older male clients who would be willing to hire a young female trainer. Plus, you'll get some female clients in your age range (not a lot, but more than you would if you were male). If you like doing classes, you'll be all set to go, since being a young woman with a bubbly personality is practically a requirement to teach an aerobics class.

You want to do nutrition? Get this:

http://www.afpafitness.com/store/fit...ion-c-1_5.html

Only $350, no degree required. Course looks relatively easy, and you get to call yourself a certified nutritionist. It worked for the leading female trainer in my facility.

Couple that with an easy ACE CPT or even GFI (group fitness instructor) cert and you'll have all the credentials you need.
    Last edited by Al Shades; 11-08-2008 at 08:05 PM.