Thread: Upper body only

Rad-Brad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rad-Brad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rad-Brad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Upper body only

Hi all, I'm 16 just about 6ft and weighing a lil over 160lbs. My goal is getting as cut as possible. I know many don't agree with training upper body or lower body only, but what happens? I dont really care about my lower body and don't care if its smaller than my upper cause im not training for size just tone. So can someone tell what would happen. Will your body just not grow right? Does it result in over training? Thanks

biodarwin is on a distinguished road. (+10) biodarwin is on a distinguished road. (+10) biodarwin is on a distinguished road. (+10) biodarwin is on a distinguished road. (+10) biodarwin is on a distinguished road. (+10) biodarwin is on a distinguished road. (+10) biodarwin is on a distinguished road. (+10) biodarwin is on a distinguished road. (+10) biodarwin is on a distinguished road. (+10) biodarwin is on a distinguished road. (+10) biodarwin is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hard to say, most 160lbs are not cutting
    Workout / Fat Loss Log -> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149037733

Previous maxes:
    ATG Back Squat 135 -> 250 | 1RM = 310
    Bench Press 135 -> 197.5 | 1RM = 260
    Deadlifts 225 -> 335 | 1RM = 410
    Rows from the Floor 110 -> 175
    OH Press 85 -> 137.5

liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) liftingbuddy1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Smile In a nutshell...

To my understanding.....

working your legs releases the most GH. That means that the most overall growth can be achieved by working BOTH your lower body and upper body. You wouldn't want to just train one of them, it wouldn't make much sense and you most likely will not reach your full growth potential. Arguably, Squats and Deadlifts are the top leg exercises.

Being cut has to do with your diet and how much cardio you do. Considering that you are 6 ft tall and only 160 lbs, it's safe to assume that you are a skinny person. If you are brand new to weight training, then you should look into a Fullbody program. One of the best ones and one that has worked for many (myself included) is Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. You may often hear people just say "Rippetoes". They are one in the same.

Here is the link below: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

Here is the accompanying SS/Rippetoe Q&A thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2281631

In order to post a question in this thread however, YOU MUST read the sticky (the first link) first. This Q&A has 252 pages in it and quite clearly covers many of the questions that you will most definately have.

Once again, read the entire sticky FIRST. Also read the very first post in the SS Q&A. Dave76 (he created the thread) and many other respectable and knowledgable members of the board have devoted a lot of their time into that thread. That being said, please use the search function before you post a question. Good luck!

Mike

Dalamara has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dalamara has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dalamara has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dalamara has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dalamara has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dalamara has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dalamara has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dalamara has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dalamara has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dalamara has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dalamara has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    No squats or deadlifts means your abs development will not be optimal. I don't care how many sets of crunches you do, they don't hit your abs like squat and deadlifts.

Second, your body grows proportionally. You're not going to be able to put on a sizeable amount of muscle to your upperbody if your lower-body is ignored.

And, squats/deadlifts/lower body stuff releases so much hormones. If you've never worked lower body before, adding a few sets of squats and deadlifts will make your WHOLE BODY grow.

Answer this, why would you spend all that time in the gym and neglect lower body? Adding a few sets of squats and deadlifts would increase your overall gains by a huge margin. If you're going to lift, lift right. There's no point in half-assing it.

olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Rad-Brad View Post
    Hi all, I'm 16 just about 6ft and weighing a lil over 160lbs. My goal is getting as cut as possible. I know many don't agree with training upper body or lower body only, but what happens? I dont really care about my lower body and don't care if its smaller than my upper cause im not training for size just tone. So can someone tell what would happen. Will your body just not grow right? Does it result in over training? Thanks
    it results in you looking like a dumbass and never reaching your full upper body potential

and people like me will make fun of you