Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    XXLRDL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XXLRDL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XXLRDL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XXLRDL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XXLRDL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XXLRDL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XXLRDL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XXLRDL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

XXLRDL's Road to 600 BP

OK. I'm a bench press PHREEK! I don't neglect anything else, but I LOVE to bench. I'm perfectly happy with my 530 lb squat and 500 lb deadlift. I probably wouldn't be if I were younger and didn't have to baby my lower back. Besides, I get plenty of lower body work pushing 1200 lbs on the 60 degree leg press for reps.

My stats:

Height: 6' 3"
    Weight: 285 lbs
    Body fat: ~16%

I've been training for about 12 years - power lifting about 3. Don't ask my measurements 'cause I don't know - I'm not a poser. I can tell you that 38" pants are loose in the waist, but I need the leg and a$$ room and my 54 long jackets are tight as hell - forget about the arms. And my 20" neck shirts are impossible to button.

My goal here is to track my progress on the road to a 600 lb bench press. I have put up 500 lbs before - 7 years ago at a BW of 300 lbs. I'm not really concerned with bodywieght as long as my pants fit. I am totally clean. I've never touched steroids.

For the first couple of weeks here - starting Monday 2/6/2006, I'm going lighter and give my joints a well-deserved rest. My goal for 600 lbs is Fall of 2006.

Raw lifter USAPL style powerlift469's Avatar
    powerlift469 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powerlift469 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good luck to ya, stay strong and lift smart.
    If I am attempting a PR, don't talk to me there is no reason too.

XXLRDL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XXLRDL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XXLRDL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XXLRDL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XXLRDL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XXLRDL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XXLRDL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XXLRDL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Intro - recent max weights

Here's a list of recent max lifts:

-Bench 455 lbs. 1/31/06
    -Inclinc Bench 365 lbs. 1/31/06
    -Squat 505 lbs. 1/13/06
    -Deadlift 545 lbs. Fall 2005
    -60 degree Leg Press - can't max out 'cause there's not enough room on the bar to put enough weight. I have done 1080 for 6 reps, though.
    -Seated Mil. press - 365 2/2/06

2/6/2006 -Monday

Dammit! There's not enough time in the day today. I had to work overtime, then take my daughter to the doctor then drop my wife's car off. I couldn't even think about heading out to the gym 'til 9:00 PM which would get me home at 10:30. I wouldn't even get to sleep until midnight after eating and winding down. That don't cut it when you wake up at 4:30 in the morning. It looks like chest will get done on Tuesday. I'll have to go on Saturday to make up for this. Whoever invented the 24 hour clock sucks....I'm all for 30 hours a day!
    I've never met a steak I didn't like.

2/7/2006 - Tuesday

Not too bad for the first day of a new routine.

Flat DB Press
    100 x 15 120 x 12 150 x 6 150 x 5

Incline DB Press
    100 x 12 120 x 6 (2 sets)

Hammer Machine Decline press - figuring out what I can do
    (weights per side)
    90 x 15 135 x 15 180 x 8

Cable cross over
    (weights per side)
    80 x 12 100 x 10 Giant drop set 100 x6 80 x 6 60 x 8 40 x 15

Got a really good pump and joints feel great. I'll be reppin' the 150s for 10 in about 3 weeks.

Where do I go from here? BigDerek's Avatar
    BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My gym doesnt even have 150 lb dumbells lol. Nice reps by the way.

Thanks, BD. The 150s are the heaviest...I wish they had heavier!

Wow 285 at 6'5"! What's your BF%. I'm 285 at 6'3" ~16%. I have a little bit of a gut but don't do much ab work - I'm too spent after a workout. I could probably get rid of it with some work. You've got some impressive lifts yourself. Stay strong and train smart.

2/8/2006 - Tuesday (Back)

Real good workout today. I didn't change much from my normal routine here. I did lighten it up a bit to get the reps.

Overhand pulldowns
    150 x 15 200 x 10 250 x 8 (two sets)

Seated cable rows
    250 x 8 (4 sets)

Close side-grip pulldowns - real slow with good contraction
    150 x 12 (too light) 200 x 6 (3 sets)

Seated Hammer Machine rows - pull to upper back hits rhomboids real good
    135 x 8 (3 sets real slow with good contraction)

BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by XXLRDL
    Thanks, BD. The 150s are the heaviest...I wish they had heavier!

Wow 285 at 6'5"! What's your BF%. I'm 285 at 6'3" ~16%. I have a little bit of a gut but don't do much ab work - I'm too spent after a workout. I could probably get rid of it with some work. You've got some impressive lifts yourself. Stay strong and train smart.
    Im probably somewhere in the 18-20% bf range. The only "cardio" I do is sled pulls and soon I will be doing the stones and tire flipping.

2/14/2006 - Chest

Well last week was a wash....too much drama at home. Two teenage daughters can really put the brakes on a workout.

Anyway, I ran into a dude over the weekend that asked me to help him out with his workout, so I trained chest with him on Monday. It was nice to train with someone who could push me a little more.

Incline DB Press
    80 x 15 100 x 14 120 x 8 130 x 7

Flat BB Press
    225 x 12 315 x 8 315 x 8 405 x 3 425 x 1

Pec Deck
    100 x 30 150 x 20 170 x 17

DB Pullovers
    80 x 10 (3 sets)

I wasn't planning on going heavy, but my new bud wanted to see the proper form for benching heavy.

The pec deck at his gym was awesome - real smooth and the perfect arc for me. I didn't think to check out what make and model it is, but I'll probably head back there for another chest workout sometime soon.

Intense workout. Heavy weights on everything. I need to find a buddy to workout with that can actually keep up

dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Out of curiousity, is this 600 shirted or raw? either way, you are moving hella weight. Keep it up.

I shoulda clarified sooner. At this point it's all RAW. My bench shirt doesn't fit anymore. I've benched 505 RAW before. I'm HOPING to get 600 raw and try 675 shirted.

2/14/2006 - Back

Decent workout today. I started with deadlifts and was spent after that, but continued....

Deadlift - the first warmup set was done from the floor because I do them rapidly and would make too much noise from the rack. The rest were done off the rack with the pins just high enough to get my feet under the bar.
    185 x 15 225 x 10 315 x 8 345 x 6

Bent over BB rows - another endurance killer
    225 x 8 (3 sets)

Wide side-grip pulldowns - not much rest between sets ~ 1 minute
    250 x 8 (2 sets) 250 x 6 - cheated a bit on the last two

Seated good mornings - I sit on an incline bench facing the back rest with the incline a little lower than 45 degrees. I put my feet out and pretty far front this gives me better balance and gives me a good stretch through the groin and hips. With the bar on my shoulders, I lean forward and touch my chest to the bench and lean back up.
    155 x 10 (3 sets)

2/15/2006 - Shoulders

Got a really late start last night 9:00 PM. - good thing the gym is open 24 hours! Being so late, I was a little tired and hungry, but I'm happy with the workout....shoulders are very fatigued today.

Standing Front BB Press
    135 x 15 155 x 12 185 x 8 205 x 8 (bounced the last two up)

Lat raise/DB Press - I don't really know what to call this exercise. I stand with the dumbells at shoulder level like I'm doing a DB Press. Instead of pressing, I keep the elbows bent and just move the DBs in arc over my head. The motion is similar to a lateral raise but this way I can move more weight.
    60 (per side) x 10 x 4 sets

Bent Over Raises - for rear delts
    80 (per side) x 10 x 2 sets 80 x 8

BB Shrugs - hands shoulder width
    495 x 12 x 3 sets

Cable shrugs - use the low cable pulleys; grab each handle and stand in the middle and move your shoulders more towards your head - hits the outter part of the trap.
    150(per side) x 12 x 3 sets

Got a really late start last night 9:00 PM. - good thing the gym is open 24 hours! Being so late, I was a little tired and hungry, but I'm happy with the workout....shoulders are very fatigued today.

Standing Front BB Press
    135 x 15 155 x 12 185 x 8 205 x 8 (bounced the last two up)

Lat raise/DB Press - I don't really know what to call this exercise. I stand with the dumbells at shoulder level like I'm doing a DB Press. Instead of pressing, I keep the elbows bent and just move the DBs in arc over my head. The motion is similar to a lateral raise but this way I can move more weight.
    60 (per side) x 10 x 4 sets

Bent Over Raises - for rear delts
    80 (per side) x 10 x 2 sets 80 x 8

BB Shrugs - hands shoulder width
    495 x 12 x 3 sets

Cable shrugs - use the low cable pulleys; grab each handle and stand in the middle and move your shoulders more towards your head - hits the outter part of the trap.
    150(per side) x 12 x 3 sets
    Wow thats a late workout. If I get in the gym after noon I think its late. Huge weights all around. Good workout. How far do you bend over for those rear delt flies? I usually go about 45-60 degrees.

I get my upper body parallel to the floor and move the weights very strict.

I like getting to the gym later (though usually not that late) - about 1 1/2 hours after dinner. Going later lets me work out a frustrating day at work - I'm a computer programmer and database admin.

I usually get to the gym at 7:00 - 7:30. I feel a little stronger at that time after a full day of eating 90% of my meals. Plus there's usually enough other guys there to hit up for a spot if I need one, but not too many that I'm waiting for equipment. Of course I never have to wait for the 150 lb DBs.

2/16/2006 - Arms

Pretty intense arm workout today. I always superset a pull (curl) and push exercise together to shorten the workout time and get a better pump.

Cambered bar curls - outter grip
    115 x 12 135 x 10 145 x 8

Dips
    BW(285) x 15 BW+90 x 10 BW+135 x 8

Standing Alt DB curls
    60(each) x 8 60 x 7 60 x 8

Two-arm DB Extension
    150 x 8 (3 sets)

Preacher curls - cambered bar inner grip
    75 x 12 75 x 10 75 x 11

V-bar cable pushdown
    120 x 8 120 x 10 120 x 10

1-arm cable pulldowns with rope - giant drop set
    80 x 5 - 60 x 6 - 50 x 6 - 40 x 8

I was totally spent after that. My XL shirts are always tight on my arms especially after an arm workout. I decided to measure just to post here.

Right arm - 20 1/4
    Left arm - 20

2/20/2006 - Back

Another A$$ kicker tonight. I'm not sure if I love or hate the deadlifts

Deadlifts
    185 x 15 225 x 12 315 x 6 365 x 4

Barbell rows
    185 x 15 225 x 10 275 x 8 275 x 6

Hammer Iso-Lateral Pulldown
    270 x 10 320 x 8 360 x 8 410 x 6

Side-grip pulldowns
    250 x 8 (4 sets)

Real intense workout. Many thanks to Kevin for keeping the intensity level up with me!

jmil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jmil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jmil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jmil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jmil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jmil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jmil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jmil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jmil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jmil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jmil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Thumbs up

Awesome log sir! I aspire to put up numbers like that on the bench someday. I started powerlifting, actually lifting serious at all for that matter, about 10-11 months ago now. It's coming along well, though I've made many mistakes (overtraining) in the first year which took me on a roller coaster on the bench..up, down, up, down, and now up again. I think I've finally found a routine to stick with. Keep up the great work though, I'm subscribed to this, and will be rooting you along! Take care.
    DIABLO BARBELL
    1003, 540, 800 Multiply

Precision Nutrition Level 1 Certified

"Sir"....Now I'm really flattered! Thanks a bunch, jmil. Yeah, overtraining is an easy thing to do, but training smarter really pays off in the end.

So what kinds of numbers are you putting up? Remember, going big on the bench isn't just about hittin' chest workout after workout. Big benches come from the chest, triceps, shoulders, lats, and legs. Keep at it and good luck to ya. Stay strong!

Another A$$ kicker tonight. I'm not sure if I love or hate the deadlifts

Deadlifts
    185 x 15 225 x 12 315 x 6 365 x 4

Barbell rows
    185 x 15 225 x 10 275 x 8 275 x 6

Hammer Iso-Lateral Pulldown
    270 x 10 320 x 8 360 x 8 410 x 6

Side-grip pulldowns
    250 x 8 (4 sets)

Real intense workout. Many thanks to Kevin for keeping the intensity level up with me!
    Another badass workout. Strong rows and deads. Whats a side grip pulldown?

They're like the wide grip lat pulldowns, but the bar has grips that you can grab so the palms of your hands face each other.

I'll look for a decent pic of the bar on the web and post it.

jmil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jmil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jmil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jmil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jmil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jmil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jmil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jmil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jmil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jmil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jmil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Thumbs up

"Sir"....Now I'm really flattered! Thanks a bunch, jmil. Yeah, overtraining is an easy thing to do, but training smarter really pays off in the end.

So what kinds of numbers are you putting up? Remember, going big on the bench isn't just about hittin' chest workout after workout. Big benches come from the chest, triceps, shoulders, lats, and legs. Keep at it and good luck to ya. Stay strong!
    lol, well I saw that you are 39 years old, which means your are my elder, and I am a respectful person, so thus, "SIR."

Numbers right now are:
    Bench - approximately 330-335 (hit a nice 325 last week, and only got halfway on 335...I should've actually went straight to it, but oh well.)

Deads - I've only been doing these for about 3 months now (back surgery last year), but I hit a 455 about a month ago..prolly a little bit higher now.

Squats - Same as deads, only been going at it for a few months. I haven't maxed in a little bit, but I did 375 x 4 on my last set the other day, and will be going for 380-385 tonight.

And I appreciate your advice on how to work everything. I've been reading Louie Simmons and Dave Tate ever since I got into it, so I've tried to implement all that stuff from the beginning. Whenever you wanna talk powerlifting or anything, please shout me a pm. Hope your training continues to go the way it is, I will still be looking at it all the time, and most likely posting. Now I've hijacked your thread, so I apologize. Take care.
    DIABLO BARBELL
    1003, 540, 800 Multiply

Originally Posted by BigDerek
    Another badass workout. Strong rows and deads. Whats a side grip pulldown?

Here's a link to a side-grip bar:

http://www.bigfitness.com/pro24latbar.html

Strong-Bad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Strong-Bad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Strong-Bad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Strong-Bad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Strong-Bad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Strong-Bad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Strong-Bad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Strong-Bad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Strong-Bad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Strong-Bad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Strong-Bad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Dude...you should be in strongman...screw benching. You aren't really built for powerlifting anyway. You are genetically built for strongman though. I think that you'd really kick some @$$. Those are some really impressive lifts even at 285 and being 6'5''! INCREDIBLE

2/21/2006 - chest

Still kicked from yesterday's back workout, but I'm still pretty happy. I wasn't as amped as usual today for some reason.

Flat DB Press
    100 x 15 120 x 10 150 x 7 150 x 6
    ***Gettin closer to 10 reps with 150s

Incline DB Press - bench at 45 degrees
    100 x 12 120 x 8 (3 sets)

DB pullovers
    80 x 10 (3 sets) - time to move up

Cable crossovers - weights per side
    80 x 15 100 x 10 Giant drop set - 100 x 6 80 x 6 60 x 8 40 x 15

Extremely pumped by the time I was done. I woulda liked to move up on the inclines, but couldn't find anyone to get one of the 130s up to my shoulder.

Do you know any sites that I can look at when and where a SM comp will be? You just might talk me into doing it!

Do you know any sites that I can look at when and where a SM comp will be? You just might talk me into doing it!

Found a couple:

http://www.nastrongman.com/contestin...ngcontests.htm

http://www.americanstrongman.org/com...s/schedule.asp
    DIABLO BARBELL
    1003, 540, 800 Multiply

Thanks a TON jmil. You da man!