NRLCRAZY10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NRLCRAZY10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NRLCRAZY10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NRLCRAZY10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NRLCRAZY10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NRLCRAZY10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NRLCRAZY10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NRLCRAZY10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NRLCRAZY10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NRLCRAZY10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NRLCRAZY10 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Cable Crossover Vs. Functional Trainer

Cable Crossover:

http://www.ncpad.com/get/VirtualTour...ssoverGen1.jpg

Functional Trainer:

http://www.norsefitness.com.au/Uploa...al-trainer.jpg

-----------------

They look similar.. whats the pros and cons for each?.. which one should a person buy if he/she had choice of buying only one of them?

CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by NRLCRAZY10 View Post
    Cable Crossover:

http://www.ncpad.com/get/VirtualTour...ssoverGen1.jpg

Functional Trainer:

http://www.norsefitness.com.au/Uploa...al-trainer.jpg

-----------------

They look similar.. whats the pros and cons for each?.. which one should a person buy if he/she had choice of buying only one of them?
    A functional trainer will allow you do do presses because your arms are not strung out like they would be with a cable crossover. If you tried to use a cable crossover to any type of press, you would not be able to without also trying to work to keep your arms in as well. The Cable Crossover draws your arms out while the functional trainer will draw them back. My personal choice is the functional trainer.
    cff@christiansfitnessfactory.com
    “Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty… I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.”

― Theodore Roosevelt

tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by CFF View Post
    A functional trainer will allow you do do presses because your arms are not strung out like they would be with a cable crossover. If you tried to use a cable crossover to any type of press, you would not be able to without also trying to work to keep your arms in as well. The Cable Crossover draws your arms out while the functional trainer will draw them back. My personal choice is the functional trainer.
    I agree, I'd go with the functional trainer as it is much more vesatile. Some are a little wider than other, which is a good compromise between the two.

Registered User Curbside_Quiche's Avatar
    Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000)
    Functional trainer all the way. They take up much less space which is important in a home gym. Plus pressing on them is really underrated.

daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

which one should a person buy if he/she had choice of buying only one of them?
    This one:

http://www.gymdirect.com.au/item/Fun...rainer/219.htm

NRLCRAZY10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NRLCRAZY10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NRLCRAZY10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NRLCRAZY10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NRLCRAZY10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NRLCRAZY10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NRLCRAZY10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NRLCRAZY10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NRLCRAZY10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NRLCRAZY10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NRLCRAZY10 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the input guys.. just wondering.. with a functional trainer, is it possible to do the crossovers??.. because from the looks of it, you cant extend your arms wide enough to do proper crossovers?

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    And theres the rub, you lose the full width double crossover but gain some more variety.

Personally if you have a power rack and weights already and especially if you have a high/low pulley as well, the crossover would broaden the scope of your gym the most allowing the wide crossovers and the wide delt exercises that are so hard to do any other way.

If this is going to be the core of or start of a home gym the Functional trainer is much better for getting a complete work out from.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    And theres the rub, you lose the full width double crossover but gain some more variety.

Personally if you have a power rack and weights already and especially if you have a high/low pulley as well, the crossover would broaden the scope of your gym the most allowing the wide crossovers and the wide delt exercises that are so hard to do any other way.

If this is going to be the core of or start of a home gym the Functional trainer is much better for getting a complete work out from.
    I totally agree with Wildtim on this. Unless this is intended to be the core of your gym, or if space is a real issue, I would much rather have a crossover than a trainer. I also should note that I currently own a trainer and plan to upgrade it to a crossover when I have more space, but for me it's a supplement machine it's nowhere near the core of my gym.

CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I disagree, you will not loose the ability to do cable crossovers. It just depends on what functional trainer you have. For instance, Life fitness makes a functional trainer that is only 65 inches wide as well as Body Solid (GDCC210) at 65 inches wide and in these instances you can loose a little range of motion, but I personally have the Body Solid GDCC200 Functional Trainer with 310 lbs and each side and yes, if I am standing in the center of the Functional Trainer I will touch side to side, but who does that. When you are doing a cable crossover, you always take a step out; at least I do. Once I do that, I have full range of motion and get an incredible stretch. No loss here.
    Personally, I have made incredible gains from using the functional trainer for doing dumbbell flyes and presses as well as rear delt's. Because of the constant intensity I probably got the most ripped off of it as well as I felt my shoulders felt less pain over the long run oppose to using barbells all the time (because of a tearing rotator cuff).
    “Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty… I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.”

― Theodore Roosevelt

How would you guys rate this?

http://workoutworld.com.au/store/hom...n-trainer.html

Seems like its a functional trainer + cable crossover in one machine (due to the adjustment of width on the arms)

Squating in the curl rack OutKlast's Avatar
    OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have the functional trainer / cable cross attachment for my Jones machine. The width on this thing is pretty solid. I can stand inline with the stacks and it's just about perfect with a normal ~10" long handle. If I were taller with a wider reach just a stirrup instead of the rope version would get another couple inches of reach. The distance from outer foot rest to outer foot rest is 79", actual distance from clip to clip is something like ~80-81"

BTW, Bodycraft calls the attachment a cable crossover and does not offer bars to connect the stack. Though I imagine with a bar from another unit and some custom length wire I could make that work.

The inside width of the cage is 48" to give some perspective.

billy will become famous soon enough. (+50) billy will become famous soon enough. (+50) billy will become famous soon enough. (+50) billy will become famous soon enough. (+50) billy will become famous soon enough. (+50) billy will become famous soon enough. (+50) billy will become famous soon enough. (+50) billy will become famous soon enough. (+50) billy will become famous soon enough. (+50) billy will become famous soon enough. (+50) billy will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Seems like its a functional trainer + cable crossover in one machine (due to the adjustment of width on the arms)
    This is much more versatile than the first one you linked. My college gym has a similar one but it's made by FreeMotion.

http://www.freemotionfitness.com/web...2_10009_136779

If you like incorporating crossover fly/rear delt/curls as part of your workout then it'll adjust wide enough to allow you to do them. I'm 5'9 and it's wide enough for me so you shouldn't have any problems with it depending on the brand and unless you have some ridiculously wide wingspan. Just look at all the dimensions to make sure before you get one. One things for sure, they are freaking expensive but definitely something I would like to own if I could afford it. I prefer the dual weight stack versus the single stack.

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz

That is a functional trainer. Notice though that at the highest and lowest points the arms will be considerably closer together. Frankly I think this design is to expensive and to limiting to bother with. The only good thing about it is that when not in use it looks cool and take up little space sitting in the corner. It also looks like a very versatile closet organizer, but for something you actually intend to use to the fullest I think there are better cheaper options.

^^ Bodycraft Jones smith is a BEAST. Unfortunately, its lyk $3200 (on sale -- RRP: $3999)in my country (and thats just the smith without the cable crossover attachment).

@Wildtrim: those two arms move up and down, but also in and out.. so if you leave them out, and move them down or up.. i guess thats pretty wide? and it does the cable crossovers job... and when you move them in, then it becomes a trainer.

@Billy: thats heaps expensive bro lol

I don't see that the entire arm slides up and down, it looks like the only way to get it up high or down low is from the pivot which will limit the distance between the arms at both the high and low positions. Thats what I'm saying. It's pretty academic though since most other functional trainers in this ones quality class are a fraction the price due to their simpler design. I just don't see this one offering anything that justifies paying that much more than the others on the market.

Compare it to this one from the same seller.

http://workoutworld.com.au/store/hom...h-trainer.html

It gives you just as much functionality (or more) plus it comes with a bench for even more uses, it folds just as small, offers the same resistance and costs $300 less. It wouldn't take a rocket scientist to make this decision.

Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by CFF View Post
    I also do shoulder presses with my FT..have you tried doing them ?

So much quicker with the weight stack functional trainer
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."~~~Benjamin Franklin

Originally Posted by Bluerain View Post

I have and thought I had alot less pain in my shoulders than with a barbell.

Just a heads up, I try not to ever post things we have, but when I see people suggesting equipment that cost $4000 plus dollars, I have to. These two pieces are the commercial version of the links posted and cost half of what the previous postings cost.

― Theodore Roosevelt

Originally Posted by Bluerain View Post

I have done shoulder presses and thought I had a lot less pain in my shoulders than with a barbell (I have a tearing rotator cuff). Thumbs up again for the FT.

Just a heads up, I try not to ever post things we have, but when I see people suggesting equipment that cost $4000 plus dollars, I have to. These three pieces are the commercial version of the links posted and cost half of what the previous postings cost ($1850 and down). I now understand why a lot of people say that the functional trainers are not worth it. It is because they are looking at ridiculously priced equipment.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180481609723
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180568436647
    http://www.christiansfitnessfactory....raining-Center

― Theodore Roosevelt

This is insane.. that last functional trainer Body-Solid GDCC200.. its listed for $1599 in your country, but in Australia I could find only one site offering that same trainer, but its for $2499...

Sounds like you would make a sick amount of money if you get a container of them shipped to you. At $2499 I bet we could ship to Australia cheaper.
    Last edited by CFF; 09-30-2010 at 12:27 PM.

― Theodore Roosevelt

pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If anyone has been looking, ebay has a couple of good deals on functional trainers right now. Take a look:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Freemotion-Free-...item4cf1ee5752

http://cgi.ebay.com/Freemotion-comme...item20b2f9fe62
    If God had wanted us to be weak, He wouldn't have given us iron.

[]---[] Equipment Crew #28 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #28 ()---()

remdra will become famous soon enough. (+50) remdra will become famous soon enough. (+50) remdra will become famous soon enough. (+50) remdra will become famous soon enough. (+50) remdra will become famous soon enough. (+50) remdra will become famous soon enough. (+50) remdra will become famous soon enough. (+50) remdra will become famous soon enough. (+50) remdra will become famous soon enough. (+50) remdra will become famous soon enough. (+50) remdra will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i personnally have a body-solid cable cross over, and i really enjoy it! i can do plenty of exercise and it hold a good amount of weight ( plated loaded )

On a first side: i dont know what you guys mean by more "versatile": i can do every king of row, lat pull down and fly, cross over, reverse fly, JESUS :P ( BIG POINT) tricep bicep......etc and i dont even got a adjustable one !!! cant imagine with one.
    its is wayyy enought like this since i have a power rack for all the bb exercise, and powerblock for db...i am a pleased guy :P

on the other side: I have tried a few fonctionnal trainer for many years in my job ( working in a fitness store ) and i wont change my cable cross over for any of them
    i have tried
    -northern light FT
    -Hoist pts1000 full equiped
    -torque f5 wich is a similar
    -cybex

well i dont like how it works, it put more emphasis on the stabilisator for sure but the moves get shaking...i dont like the feeling......make sure to test them before! The cybex was the best but commerciale everything even the price $$$, the northern light was too close, f5 is cool and its is folding no.1 fo the average joe..
    but i still prefer my cross over ratio bang for the buck i think these are the best
    to each there own i guess

REMBO SO HIGH
    light weight baby

bkinsley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Has anybody reviewed or tried the difference between Free Motion Functional trainer and Paramount Functional trainer? Thanks!

ravinmaniac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Powertec has the best Functional Trainers around, since you can load as much plates as you can. Unlike other functional trainers, wherein its maximum resistance is only limited to its stacked weight.
    Attached Images

UberPooch is on a distinguished road. (+10) UberPooch is on a distinguished road. (+10) UberPooch is on a distinguished road. (+10) UberPooch is on a distinguished road. (+10) UberPooch is on a distinguished road. (+10) UberPooch is on a distinguished road. (+10) UberPooch is on a distinguished road. (+10) UberPooch is on a distinguished road. (+10) UberPooch is on a distinguished road. (+10) UberPooch is on a distinguished road. (+10) UberPooch is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ravinmaniac View Post
    Powertec has the best Functional Trainers around, since you can load as much plates as you can. Unlike other functional trainers, wherein its maximum resistance is only limited to its stacked weight.
    Actually the Powertec functional trainer has a max load capacity of 300-lbs and since there's only one weight stack with a 1:2 resistance level on the pulley that translates to 150-lbs.

I've been researching functional trainers for a couple months. Nearly all start off with dual 150-lb weight stacks but you have to look at the resistance ratio on the pulleys. Most are 1:2 which means at most you'll only be lifting 75-lbs per stack which probably isn't sufficient for most guys who are doing push/pull lifts such as presses, rows, etc. A few functional trainers such as FreeMotion EXT have a 210-lb stack but the ratio is 1:3 so that makes the pulling even lighter. Some of the better functional trainer manufacturers have an optional 50-lb stack upgrade which takes the total to 200-210 lbs per stack depending on the model. The Body-Solid Functional Training Center 200/210, the Hoist V6, Cybex Bravo, etc allow you to upgrade the default stacks by 50-lbs.

I'm leaning towards the Body Solid 210 with the dual 210-stacks. It's much cheaper than the Hoist V6 and other models but more importantly it comes with a lifetime warranty. The Hoist V6 is built like a tank but it's pricy and the warranty isn't as good as Body-Solid. That Powertec trainer has a 2 year warranty on most of the parts.

boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000)
    i have a cabe crossover and it fit over the top of my rack nicely....so there is no real loss of space with it in my gym. it was a fluke that it fit in so perfectly.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 12

https://www.youtube.com/user/solvedphysicsproblem

117 videos showing the solutions to all highschool physics problems that could possibly come up.

Thefarmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Thefarmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Thefarmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Thefarmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Thefarmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Thefarmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Thefarmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Thefarmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Thefarmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Thefarmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Thefarmer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I bought this last week http://eng.impulsefitness.com/produc...-0021-6-.shtml.
    I was choosing between that and Body Solid functional trainer GDCC200 but when I tried the body solid out in the store, I felt that the exercises that I will miss out like presses, I already do (and satisfied) with free weights but crossovers and such are what I am looking for.

If you do not have free weights, get a functional trainer because a full size cable crossover will be useless for you.

UberPooch is on a distinguished road. (+10) UberPooch is on a distinguished road. (+10) UberPooch is on a distinguished road. (+10) UberPooch is on a distinguished road. (+10) UberPooch is on a distinguished road. (+10) UberPooch is on a distinguished road. (+10) UberPooch is on a distinguished road. (+10) UberPooch is on a distinguished road. (+10) UberPooch is on a distinguished road. (+10) UberPooch is on a distinguished road. (+10) UberPooch is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by bkinsley View Post
    Has anybody reviewed or tried the difference between Free Motion Functional trainer and Paramount Functional trainer? Thanks!
    Both are similar in design and features. The Paramount has 85-lbs of effective resistance/cable while the FreeMotion offers 75-lbs. Given the cost of each (they're not cheap) you can do better elsewhere.

tarnes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tarnes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tarnes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tarnes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tarnes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tarnes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tarnes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tarnes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tarnes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tarnes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tarnes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    they look OK, i ended up buying the brute force 360pt

http://renoufhomefitness.com.au/imag...cial/360PT.jpg

It has twin 100kg cables , a power rack , smith machine and a torsional.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A_hKpLGSic
    Its not how much you lift , But how you lift .......

Registered User legendofthewolf's Avatar
    legendofthewolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) legendofthewolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) legendofthewolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) legendofthewolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) legendofthewolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) legendofthewolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) legendofthewolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) legendofthewolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) legendofthewolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) legendofthewolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) legendofthewolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would go with a functional trainer. Way more exercises you can do, plus it takes up a lot less space.