clegane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Another Squat Form Question

All-in-all, I think my squat form is pretty good. I keep my heels on the floor, back straight, head up, etc...

Last night, when squatting, I realized that it felt like the weight was centered just behind the balls of my feet, and not directly on my heels. So, after having read a ton about squat form, I decided to try to scoot the weight back to my heels.

Holy-seven-hells-OMG-what's-happening?! Using my old form, 275-300lbs is not a problem for me. But with the weight entirely on my heels, pushing up 225 is like birthing a calf.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there likely some weak spot I've been neglecting?

bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by clegane View Post
    But with the weight entirely on my heels, pushing up 225 is like birthing a calf.
    LOL. That is funny!

But seriously, I dont know much about squats...
    New life in place of old life
    Unscarred by trials
    A new level of CONFIDENCE and POWER

RTS log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136314231

Sheiko log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133108803

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Pretty difficult to diagnose form problems without seeing your form. How about posting a vid of yourself, squatting your working weight?
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    all in all, your form sucked.period lol..
    not only are your heels supposed to just be on the floor, youre supposed to drive your heels into the floor, as in push off your heels. leaning forwards onto your toes is just asking for knee, back, everything problems..

i have no idea why the number dropped so much though, that is a big drop..my only guess is, now that the weight is on your heels, youre probably sitting back more which uses more hamstrings..

Veg can't get big lolwut? Mr.Runner's Avatar
    Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yeah, it's possible that you're recruiting more musculature that you neglected before. A video would be best.
    I only seem like I know what I'm talking about, because I only talk about things that I know about.

"One farmer says to me: 'You cannot live on vegetable foods solely, for it furnishes nothing to make bones with,' walking all the while he talks behind his oxen, who with vegetable made bones jerk him and his lumbering plow along in spite of every obstacle."

-Henry David Thoreau

clegane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    As a follow-up, I think the past years sitting at an office desk have destroyed my lower back, hamstring and glute strength, which might explain my tendency to scoot the weight forward. The discomfort I had previous to my first post was probably due to not being comfortable with the change in form and not thinking about it the right way. This video helped to straighten me out a little:
    youtube.com/watch?v=yha2XAc2qu8

The cold I was recovering from probably didn't help much either...

In any case, I'm back to ~275 5RM. Funny thing is, I can do almost the same on bench :S
    Last edited by clegane; 06-10-2009 at 02:37 PM.

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Stance- Wider

Bar- lower

Butt- back farther.

Try it like this.
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda

SierraKilo is just really nice. (+1000) SierraKilo is just really nice. (+1000) SierraKilo is just really nice. (+1000) SierraKilo is just really nice. (+1000) SierraKilo is just really nice. (+1000) SierraKilo is just really nice. (+1000) SierraKilo is just really nice. (+1000) SierraKilo is just really nice. (+1000) SierraKilo is just really nice. (+1000) SierraKilo is just really nice. (+1000) SierraKilo is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by clegane View Post
    Embedded

Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Not ALL of your weight should be on your heels. It should simply be spread fairly evenly across your foot. However, our tendency is to shift our weight forward, putting more weight on the ball of the foot. So when we actually do distribute the weight a bit more to the rear (making it even), it FEELS as if all the weight is on our heels. I'm not saying that you shouldn't focus on keeping the weight over your heels, I'm just saying don't get carried away with it or analyze it too much.

Best,
    Dr Clay Hyght, DC, CSCS, CISSN
    www.DrClay.com

www.Labrada.com

Labrada Nutrition: "The Most Trusted Name in Sports Nutrition!"

The above is for informational purposes only and is not meant to be used as medical advice. Always consult your doctor prior to beginning any new diet, supplementation, or exercise program.