Page 9 of 139 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 109 ... LastLast
    Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by TXDStone View Post
    Our particular department tells us not to get it unless you just really really want to.
    I agree with this as far as the math minor goes. If you can get another engineering discipline as a minor though, I think it is worth it. Particularly a computer science minor. Or disciplines that pair well together (i.e EE/ME).
    Gal Gadot Crew
    Madelaine Petsch Crew
    Victoria Justice Crew

RS8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RS8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RS8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RS8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RS8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RS8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RS8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RS8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RS8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RS8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RS8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by SouthDakotaBrah View Post
    Is getting a minor even worth it for engineering? I figured it would be more useful to take the time saved from not taking extra classes and putting it towards a part time internship or undergraduate research or something during the school year to get some extra experience
    eh i wouldn't go out of my way for a minor. i'm doing one in math just because i needed 6 more credits of math to have one. some people say a minor looks good on your resume but meh

Democrats are terrorists cncman's Avatar
    cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Hockey16z View Post
    tfw your college makes engineers take 5 extra math classes to get a minor compared to all other majors...
    I did 2, wouldn't even consider 5.
    "If you don't vote for me you ain't black!" - Plantation Joe Biden

Wreck em
    Hook em
    Glory to Aubernia!

KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Steveyblack View Post
    For the first 2 years I was doing alot of HW, expect it out of engineering. For the next 3 years (5 years total) I had a pretty light HW load work, you learn how to study and learn to manage your time better. Studying for exams will be the bulk of your time, most HW will be cookie cutter sort of problems that are easy to do with a text book.

Study smarter not harder. Basically learn the basic concepts well and how they can be applied, no reason to spend 11ty hours learning about exceptions/special cases unless you got the basics down. In classes where alot of material is learned, most questions/quizes will involve a major part and a minor part. The major part is usually 3/4 of the points on the question, those questions are based off of the general concept and how they are applied. The minor part is the exception and if you really know the basics well enough, you should be able to work out the problem through reasoning. On exam, never leave questions blank, open ended or not. If they are multiple choice then narrow your window down and make sure that the question your looking to answer isnt already answered in the next part of the exam. If its open ended and your unsure, plot down notes with your work, explain why you used this/that. I have noted that my numbers were off/wrong and was aware of that but however I am out of time, the professor gave me credit for that question.

If you want to prepare for your upper level classes, focus on ODE/PDE work, almost all your upper class will be based on that. I found that ODE's are very easy and have many different ways about solving them.
    Yeah, I'm expecting a good amount of HW, but I guess it's not as much as people made it out to be. Thanks for Exam tips. I'll sure have to use that someday. Also about ODE/PDE, I'm not too sure what they stand for. Could you elaborate on that?

Thanks for the answer!

Originally Posted by dweeegs View Post
    Workload sucks. Last semester was the most mentally draining thing I've ever had to endure. ****ty groups, project after project, homework after homework, test after test. My experience is different than most peoples... I have a minor in nanotech and I took 2 grad classes for that minor. Hard as balls man. My thought was "oh cool, nanotech sounds cool" but it ended up biting me in the ass.

Before this semester it wasn't that bad. Fluids and heat/mass transfer had homeworks that were 8-10 pages regularly, but that ended up being the majority of the workload those semesters for homework. The classes I took for my minor were the ones that consumed a large amount of time (plus lab).

Basically, the workload is what you make it.
    Totally agree with your last statement. I literally had the most non-challenging classes of my life this semester, but i still managed to pull all nighters writing essays, and doing last minute Homework. I will NEVER do that again. Even if the workload sucks, I'm not easily bothered. It's all going to pay off in the end.

Thanks man!

Originally Posted by Ownster8932 View Post
    I think a lot of it depends on the teacher in terms of hwk. For instance, in statics, my teacher was super anal where all of the diagrams on our homeworks had to be drawn with ruler/compass on engineering paper and even the answers had to be boxed with a ruler. So the hwk for that class took one of the longest of any class I ever had even though each assignment was 'only' 10 problems.

For circuits II we had no rules like that (just had to be presentable and all work shown), so hwk went by faster even though the actual assignments were harder/longer.

For thermo and then fluid mechanics, my teacher was between the two. There was a strict format and things had to be presentable, but we didn't have to use a ruler/compass, haha.

For controls, it was like circuits II only we had to solve problems using two different methods to confirm our answers (say nodal analysis and mesh analysis) and each assignment was a huge amount of problems, so that took a long-ass time (we also covered 12/13 chapters from the book, so that was a ridiculous amount of problems). Thankfully we didn't have the ruler/compass thing for that class, haha!
    Study tips:

1) Read the book. Read the chapters twice if needed. The more you read the book, the better complete understanding you will have and thus you won't have to do a bunch of problems because you understand things on a more complete level.

2) On either your first/second passing of reading the chapters, I would recommend taking notes (helps to sink the material in) while reading. It also helps to organize your thoughts and see how the material comes together.

3) Do some practice problems to reinforce the concepts you are learning about and test your knowledge (if you do parts 1/2 like you should be, then this shouldn't need to be more than a handful of problems).

4) And perhaps most importantly is to NOT fall behind. The thing I see so often is people just being lazy and letting things pile up and then stringing all-nighters together for a few days before test/project/homework deadlines to get things done. It's not healthy and you don't really learn anything by doing that. Just spending a little bit of time everyday goes a long way. In my own experience, I went from all-nighters to not staying up past 12 once I started steps 1-3 and doing that right off the bat from the first day of class rather than procrastinating, lol.

I don't think the workload is quite as bad as people make it out to be.

Just focus on hitting the ground running, staying on top of it throughout the semester, and you'll be fine. Efficiency and time management.
    First off, I've gotta say thanks for taking the time to write a post this long, for a stranger on the internet. I really appreciate the advice you guys give in here. I never expected such a helpful thread to be in the MISC.

Your tips are definitely useful. I employ tip 3 in studying for test. The other tips are ones that I REALLY need to work on. As I said before, I'm a bit of a procrastinator when it comes to work. I want to get rid of the bad habits before they start affecting my work negatively. I'm going to take your advice and apply them as soon as the next semester starts.

The workload issue is not that big of a deal before. I honestly wouldn't mind 3-4 hours hw a day, when the payoff at the end is good. I just wanted to know if it's possible to strike the balance between Social/Work/School life. That's very important to me. I really need time for myself.

Again, thanks so much for the posts. It helps ALOT!
    *Reps everyone who negs crew*
    *Track Crew*

dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Is getting a minor even worth it for engineering? I figured it would be more useful to take the time saved from not taking extra classes and putting it towards a part time internship or undergraduate research or something during the school year to get some extra experience
    Originally Posted by TXDStone View Post
    Our particular department tells us not to get it unless you just really really want to.
    Agreed... biggest regret in college is taking a minor (srs). I wanted to do a business minor but the school of business here is really shut off from everyone else and didn't offer it. Computer science minor was next but since I didn't have any pre-reqs, would have been 25 extra credits. Kind of wanted to do a language minor but again was a ton of credits.

Don't do a minor unless it's really interesting to you and you have enough time, and also if there are classes below upper-level.
    ChemE in education, SoftwareE in job

Live slow, Die whenever SLOTH LIFE

Cookie Cutter. Sick, Piss Haasluv's Avatar
    Haasluv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Haasluv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Haasluv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Haasluv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Haasluv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Haasluv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Haasluv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Haasluv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Haasluv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Haasluv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Haasluv is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by CheesasarusFlex View Post
    ^Word^

if anything, at least i get to apply to internships early haha.

anyone taking Thermodynamics or Diff Eq next semester?
    taking chemical engineering thermo this semester.
    took diff eq last yr
    Smokes Hookah Religously Crew
    Im Chad
    Always Bang Older Women Crew
    Sleeps in Sweaty Smelly Compression Shorts Crew
    Always Picks 3 Crew

Purplekoolaid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Purplekoolaid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Purplekoolaid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Purplekoolaid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Purplekoolaid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Purplekoolaid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Purplekoolaid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Purplekoolaid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Purplekoolaid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Purplekoolaid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Purplekoolaid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'd say do the math minor for 2 reasons (speaking as grad student in ME)

1. You plan on going to grad school or doing it while working (although "after hours" grad school is typically a cake-walk)
    2. None of the required math classes for a math minor are proof based

If #2 is the case, it will help immensely for upper level classes. I'd imagine after the calcs, the only useful math minor classes would be ODE, PDE, and applied linear algebra (Math majors split ODE&PDE in two diff clases, for engineers at my school, they were combined into 1 class; 80%ODE & 20%PDE)

Linear would be useful if you're a ME/CSE and maybe EE/ChemE depending on how hard your controls classes are

cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    comp sci is by far the only useful minor for opening alternate industry doors (srs)

Wreck em
    Hook em
    Glory to Aubernia!

Hockey16z has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hockey16z has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hockey16z has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hockey16z has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hockey16z has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hockey16z has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hockey16z has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hockey16z has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hockey16z has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hockey16z has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hockey16z has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Purplekoolaid View Post
    I'd say do the math minor for 2 reasons (speaking as grad student in ME)

1. You plan on going to grad school or doing it while working (although "after hours" grad school is typically a cake-walk)
    2. None of the required math classes for a math minor are proof based

If #2 is the case, it will help immensely for upper level classes. I'd imagine after the calcs, the only useful math minor classes would be ODE, PDE, and applied linear algebra (Math majors split ODE&PDE in two diff clases, for engineers at my school, they were combined into 1 class; 80%ODE & 20%PDE)

Linear would be useful if you're a ME/CSE and maybe EE/ChemE depending on how hard your controls classes are
    Are ODEs and linear algebra not part of the normal engineering sequence in most schools....? I'm required to take Calc 1-3, linear algebra, and differential equations...
    Past Logs:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153917721
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151807373

*Electrical Engineering Student Crew*

Purplekoolaid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Purplekoolaid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Purplekoolaid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Purplekoolaid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Purplekoolaid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Purplekoolaid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Purplekoolaid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Purplekoolaid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Purplekoolaid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Purplekoolaid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Purplekoolaid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Are ODEs and linear algebra not part of the normal engineering sequence in most schools....? I'm required to take Calc 1-3, linear algebra, and differential equations...
    Linear seems to be hit or miss, minaly since the one that most math departments offer is heavily proof based, and not so much "applied" as engineering would want. A lot of engineering programs will sneak a math class and label it under ECE/ME/ChmE/etc (if it has math in the title, math department usually will take over)

I had a class called Engineering Analysis which was a junior ME class, pretty much recovered diff-eq with linear algebra

ODE's will def be covered though.

Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I would think they would be. I know they were for mine. Linear algebra is used a ton, at least in EE, and so I couldn't imagine them not having you take it. That would be strange. Like Purplekoolaid said, my class was titled 'Engineering Analysis' where it was linear algebra. My class was actually split between applied/proof based. I like it that way.
    Gal Gadot Crew
    Madelaine Petsch Crew
    Victoria Justice Crew

dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    We aren't required to take a class in lin alg... some of us do for electives, and we use it (diff eq required it for us, some parts of controls), but not required. It's not the math-major lin alg, it's for engineers. Our diff eq class was also 'for engineers' too whatever that means

SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    We aren't required to take a class in lin alg... some of us do for electives, and we use it (diff eq required it for us, some parts of controls), but not required. It's not the math-major lin alg, it's for engineers. Our diff eq class was also 'for engineers' too whatever that means
    This was true for me as well, we learned and used some linear algebra during differential equations to solve systems of equations and find eigenvectors and whatever, but linear algebra as a class isn't required

Xaviesta11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xaviesta11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xaviesta11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xaviesta11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xaviesta11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xaviesta11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xaviesta11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xaviesta11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xaviesta11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xaviesta11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xaviesta11 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Fuark brahs, nervous af. Calculus 1 this upcoming semester(2nd semester). In highschool I failed Calc and now I face it again. Am I gunna make it?
    ★☆ Never flex in public crew ★☆

2006 GSX-R600

SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Xaviesta11 View Post
    Fuark brahs, nervous af. Calculus 1 this upcoming semester(2nd semester). In highschool I failed Calc and now I face it again. Am I gunna make it?
    You better, Calculus I is easy as hell. Make sure you do your practice problems and use khanacademy and wolframalpha if you need help

pharscape91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pharscape91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pharscape91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pharscape91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pharscape91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pharscape91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pharscape91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pharscape91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pharscape91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pharscape91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pharscape91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Got a Systems Modelling exam on Monday.

This is stuff like Laplace, fourier, state space. Anyone know any good sites for this? Using all the lecture notes too obv

Anyone notice they put engineering on any job title now

Just saw posts for 'sales engineers' (not sales for a tech company, retail) and 'people engineer' (hotel desk / room planner)

Also seen a lot of 'finance engineering' though I am not sure what that entails or how it'd be different than econ or finance or quant stuff

waynelo4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) waynelo4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) waynelo4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) waynelo4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) waynelo4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) waynelo4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) waynelo4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) waynelo4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) waynelo4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) waynelo4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) waynelo4 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Just saw posts for 'sales engineers' (not sales for a tech company, retail) and 'people engineer' (hotel desk / room planner)

Also seen a lot of 'finance engineering' though I am not sure what that entails or how it'd be different than econ or finance or quant stuff
    A friend of mine told me there was something called 'soil engineering'

Apparently, in Canada there is 'power engineering' which is a trade similar to what electricians here practice. As an electrical engineering student planning on going into the power industry and becoming an actual power engineer, I find this mildly upsetting

Originally Posted by pharscape91 View Post
    Got a Systems Modelling exam on Monday.

This is stuff like Laplace, fourier, state space. Anyone know any good sites for this? Using all the lecture notes too obv
    had a good old time in systems and vibrations. Tfw state space

Wreck em
    Hook em
    Glory to Aubernia!

magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i failed calculus 1 and got an A in calculus 4. i was drinking a lot when i was a freshman.

hitah0 is just really nice. (+1000) hitah0 is just really nice. (+1000) hitah0 is just really nice. (+1000) hitah0 is just really nice. (+1000) hitah0 is just really nice. (+1000) hitah0 is just really nice. (+1000) hitah0 is just really nice. (+1000) hitah0 is just really nice. (+1000) hitah0 is just really nice. (+1000) hitah0 is just really nice. (+1000) hitah0 is just really nice. (+1000)
    gl brah..i took calc 1 my first semester in uni and ended up with a b+. Honestly the class was very simple, but what killed me is that I never took calc before in hs because i was working so i hadn't practiced math in maybe 2 years. I Stepped it up, and been making A's in math classes after that, actually been helping friends now in adv math classes, feels pretty good mane
    miscsmusic.com

BrandonLit123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrandonLit123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrandonLit123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrandonLit123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrandonLit123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrandonLit123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrandonLit123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrandonLit123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrandonLit123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrandonLit123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrandonLit123 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm a highschool student who wants to study mechanical engineering at the University of Colorado. I eventually want to become a weapons engineer/ military weapons contractor.

Guys that are in mechanical engineering. Whats it like? I'm kind of nervous about it being too hard.

Can somebody help me out?
    •Ariana Grandes bike seat crew•
    •I actually train legs crew•
    • Noob Crew•
    •Ninja 300 Crew•

"Perseverance is not never falling, it is having the strength to get back up after you do." - Original quote.

Originally Posted by BrandonLit123 View Post
    I'm a highschool student who wants to study mechanical engineering at the University of Colorado. I eventually want to become a weapons engineer/ military weapons contractor.

Guys that are in mechanical engineering. Whats it like? I'm kind of nervous about it being too hard.

Can somebody help me out?
    Yes, you won't like your job. If that's what's motivating you, the chances of landing a job that's interesting while still dealing with weapons/military is like less than 1%. You'll be pigeonholed into some type of engineering specialty like controls, CAD, or something trivial and dumbed down.

Everyone wants to work for military/weapons/aero/high-performance cars; competition is tough, jobs are limited, and of those limited jobs, few are interesting

You're more likely better off picking a major whose classes seem more interesting. That's my take on it at least; I'm sure a few will disagree

Eh there's a good amount of jobs around the DelMarVa area with that stuff... the Naval Surface Warfare Center, other parts of NAVSEA, Army Research Labs, JHU APL etc etc plus the private contractor stuff like Northrop Grummon, Lockheed Martin, General Dynamics etc etc are headquartered in Va/Md. Like most jobs, depends where you want to live.

Word of warning, weapons stuff sounds cool but schooling will be boring and probably won't be as cool. BUT, you can make it. If that's what you wanna do then do it and come down to DC and get yucky with me with all that defense cash

Also, I had an Uncle work in the Pentagon buying/selling weapons and he went crazy and I feel like they wiped his memory or something. So watch out for Will Smith.

Xaviesta11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xaviesta11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xaviesta11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xaviesta11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xaviesta11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xaviesta11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xaviesta11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xaviesta11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xaviesta11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xaviesta11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xaviesta11 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by hitah0 View Post
    gl brah..i took calc 1 my first semester in uni and ended up with a b+. Honestly the class was very simple, but what killed me is that I never took calc before in hs because i was working so i hadn't practiced math in maybe 2 years. I Stepped it up, and been making A's in math classes after that, actually been helping friends now in adv math classes, feels pretty good mane
    Originally Posted by magog704 View Post
    i failed calculus 1 and got an A in calculus 4. i was drinking a lot when i was a freshman.
    You better, Calculus I is easy as hell. Make sure you do your practice problems and use khanacademy and wolframalpha if you need help
    Thanks brahs! There is hope.
    ★☆ Never flex in public crew ★☆

2006 GSX-R600

pharscape91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pharscape91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pharscape91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pharscape91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pharscape91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pharscape91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pharscape91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pharscape91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pharscape91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pharscape91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pharscape91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Need help

6dy/d(t)+y(t)=18x(t)

Utilise the derivative law to map the above system in to the complex frequency domain, the system is to be stimulated via a step input. Assume no initial conditions acting on the system.

Measlys available

Registered User hairlineofpeace's Avatar
    hairlineofpeace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hairlineofpeace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hairlineofpeace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hairlineofpeace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hairlineofpeace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hairlineofpeace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hairlineofpeace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hairlineofpeace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hairlineofpeace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hairlineofpeace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hairlineofpeace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by pharscape91 View Post
    Need help

6dy/d(t)+y(t)=18x(t)

Utilise the derivative law to map the above system in to the complex frequency domain, the system is to be stimulated via a step input. Assume no initial conditions acting on the system.

Measlys available
    6Y(s)s + Y(s) = 18X(s)

H(s) = 18/(6s+1)

Originally Posted by hairlineofpeace View Post
    6Y(s)s + Y(s) = 18X(s)

H(s) = 18/(6s+1)
    Would the 18x not go to 18/s^2 before bringing across the (6s+1)?

Originally Posted by hairlineofpeace View Post
    6Y(s)s + Y(s) = 18X(s)

H(s) = 18/(6s+1)
    So I get

18/s^2(6s+1)

Page 9 of 139 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 109 ... LastLast