Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by acrawlingchaos View Post
    I said the preferred fuel source for anerobic respiration.
    So basically you're saying no matter what evidence I provide you'll never change your narrow minded paradigm, that the only way to eat and train is exactly like you and your buddies?

ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by KenJenkinsII View Post
    I actually had this problem, I went by the numbers on the sticky in the nutrition forum and didn't lose any weight. Someone suggested i recalculate my TDEE on Fitness Frog and it was a lower number by about 200 calories so I made my deficit 500 calories less than that number and started losing 1 lb a week. I have since increased it and I am losing 2 a week for now.
    Exactly... One place told you a certain number but then another gave another number based upon your activity level. You adjusted to what YOUR body needed.
    So you want to rephrase yor original statement. I keed I keed. Good job sticking with it and moving forward!!!!! When people get frutrated they usually quit.

Originally Posted by Lvisaa2 View Post
    You lower calories as any calculation is simply an estimate. Adjust, continue to track your calories, and watch for changes. After 2-3 weeks adjust if necessary. People like to make things difficult when they aren't.
    Actually i just make sure that I eat all my meals as protein rich and adjust carbs to the scale weekly if my weight changes.
    Don't get any easier than that.

When it's contest ready time though... That's a whole different story.
    Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

I has a PHmuthaf'nD in Broscience!

ntrllftr > azstrengthlosscouchpotato

azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000)
    No he is saying that if you meet your protein and fat goals you will only have a small amount of carbs left if you stay at your deficit. That is not complicated and as soon as these guys explained that to me it has worked perfectly for me. Once I meet my protein and fat I only have 100 g of carbs or so to eat which is not too much and not too little for me to have enough energy.
    100g of carbs is a low carb diet. And according to you you're having no decrements in performance on it

Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ntrllftr View Post
    Actually i just make sure that I eat all my meals as protein rich and adjust carbs to the scale weekly if my weight changes.
    Don't get any easier than that.

When it's contest ready time though... That's a whole different story.
    Eh kinda depends what you consider easy. I consider it easy to know how much I need to eat in a day in terms of concrete numbers. Too much gray area makes it easier for me to overeat and harder to track and make adjustments. So it is easier(for me) to track. It takes 2 minutes a day with technology.

azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Out of curiosity... is that counted? (if so I am guessing physical job).
    Yes, I've been tracking for close to a year now. I work a desk job, and lift 4 days a week for an hour. Very little cardio. I get outdoors more in the summer, but this time a year I am pretty lazy.

Katch-McArdle predictor is pretty much spot on for me with 160lbs of lean mass and a moderate activity factor of 1.6

KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by azstrengthcoach View Post
    100g of carbs is a low carb diet. And according to you you're having no decrements in performance on it
    Who defines what a low carb diet is? Aren't carbs supposed to be used for fuel? I have cut from 231 to 213 since November and I am still lifting the same weights that I was before I started cutting and I believe it is because I am eating enough protein and still getting enough carbs to give me enough energy to perform, keep in mind that I have a desk job so I don't need a lot of carbs the rest of the day. In fact eating many more carbs leads to me feeling sluggish and tired. So to me I am not eating low carbs, I am eating enough carbs to give me what I need and still lose weight.
    The Unexamined Life is not worth living

ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Eh kinda depends what you consider easy. I consider it easy to know how much I need to eat in a day in terms of concrete numbers. Too much gray area makes it easier for me to overeat and harder to track and make adjustments. So it is easier(for me) to track. It takes 2 minutes a day with technology.
    Your method is easy for you.
    My method is easy for me.

There is no right or wrong for anyone as long as it works.
    Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

Who defines what a low carb diet is? Aren't carbs supposed to be used for fuel? I have cut from 231 to 213 since November and I am still lifting the same weights that I was before I started cutting and I believe it is because I am eating enough protein and still getting enough carbs to give me enough energy to perform, keep in mind that I have a desk job so I don't need a lot of carbs the rest of the day. In fact eating many more carbs leads to me feeling sluggish and tired. So to me I am not eating low carbs, I am eating enough carbs to give me what I need and still lose weight.
    In most studies a "low carb diet" is defined as a diet where fewer than 50% of carbs come from carbs. Assuming you're eating 2100 calories a day only 19% of your calories come from carbs. You're eating fewer carbs than many of the studies I posted. In chaos previous post he said we need 400 grams a day to prevent performance impairments

KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    In most studies a "low carb diet" is defined as a diet where fewer than 50% of carbs come from carbs. Assuming you're eating 2100 calories a day only 19% of your calories come from carbs. You're eating fewer carbs than many of the studies I posted
    But you know what? When I ate more carbs I felt like crap, and didn't perform as well in the gym as when I was consuming more protein. Which tells me all those studies you posted don't mean a freaking thing to me. I have to do what works and I listened to guys who have been where I am and I am doing what they said worked for them and amazingly enough, it is working for me. I don't have a link for my study but I can tell you that it is working for whatever that is worth.

fosheezy will become famous soon enough. (+50) fosheezy will become famous soon enough. (+50) fosheezy will become famous soon enough. (+50) fosheezy will become famous soon enough. (+50) fosheezy will become famous soon enough. (+50) fosheezy will become famous soon enough. (+50) fosheezy will become famous soon enough. (+50) fosheezy will become famous soon enough. (+50) fosheezy will become famous soon enough. (+50) fosheezy will become famous soon enough. (+50) fosheezy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I didn't read all the responses so I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but I would have to say No.

I will first say that the weight loss for both scenarios would be close, but doesn't have to be the same.
    The composition of the foods will have an effect on your metabolism/insulin/rate of digestion/etc. which will have an effect, albeit small, on the amount of calories you burn throughout the day.

Example: Person A eats a chicken taco with lots of hot sauce (capsaicin). Person B eats a chicken taco with no hot sauce but a few extra veggies to make up for the calorie difference in the hot sauce. Both people consume the same amount of calories but Person A ends up burning more calories due to the hot sauce. Over time this could have a cumulative effect.

So, while the overall calorie consumption is the same and for the most part the weight loss/gain will be the same, there are foods that can have an effect on the amount of calories you burn. So while this may be a little persnickety, I would have to say No, the weight loss does not necessarily have to be the same in both scenarios.

Bro, listen to me.... You need a masters in exercise physiology to understand any of this. Period. Otherwise there is no whey you are ever gonna lift any decent aqnount of weight or get into the single digit body fat. Period again.

You're proof positive

So to me I am not eating low carbs, I am eating enough carbs to give me what I need and still lose weight.
    I don't have a link for my study but I can tell you that it is working for whatever that is worth.
    I would take a word from someone who lived it rather than a person who lives through bogus studies anyday!!!!!
    And thats the TRUTH! Someone can take their skool degree and shove it up their azz!!!! Srs!!!!
    Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I actually had this problem, I went by the numbers on the sticky in the nutrition forum and didn't lose any weight. Someone suggested i recalculate my TDEE on Fitness Frog and it was a lower number by about 200 calories so I made my deficit 500 calories less than that number and started losing 1 lb a week. I have since increased it and I am losing 2 a week for now.
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculato...alculator.html
    That fitness frog calculator was right on the money for me:

2370 just working at my desk job - (this is actually my target calories for dropping weight when I'm working out)
    2716 Light exercise (ex: exercising 1-3 days/week) - (this is my maintenance calories when I'm lifting and 3 or 4 days a week)
    3062 Moderate exercise (ex: exercising 3-5 days/week) - (I always seem to gain when I get over 3000 a day even when I'm lifting 6-7 days a week)

Interesting calculator, I like the one from IIFYM as well:
    http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator

It has me at 2424 for very light activity which is my situation if I'm not working out.

I've been up and down in body weight over the years but when I keep myself to a strict 2400 calories and workout regularly, I'm able to drop weight at a decent pace without suffering at all.
    Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!

OV35 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=388841&page=90

xccellence.com, theironden.com

Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by fosheezy View Post
    I didn't read all the responses so I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but I would have to say No.

I will first say that the weight loss for both scenarios would be close, but doesn't have to be the same.
    The composition of the foods will have an effect on your metabolism/insulin/rate of digestion/etc. which will have an effect, albeit small, on the amount of calories you burn throughout the day.

Example: Person A eats a chicken taco with lots of hot sauce (capsaicin). Person B eats a chicken taco with no hot sauce but a few extra veggies to make up for the calorie difference in the hot sauce. Both people consume the same amount of calories but Person A ends up burning more calories due to the hot sauce. Over time this could have a cumulative effect.

So, while the overall calorie consumption is the same and for the most part the weight loss/gain will be the same, there are foods that can have an effect on the amount of calories you burn. So while this may be a little persnickety, I would have to say No, the weight loss does not necessarily have to be the same in both scenarios.
    You do realize how miniscule of a difference something like hot sauce has on your caloric expenditure, right?

I would take a word from someone who lived it rather than a person who lives through bogus studies anyday!!!!!
    And thats the TRUTH! Someone can take their skool degree and shove it up their azz!!!! Srs!!!!
    I am not claiming to know near as much as you guys, and I would say that my avi speaks for itself. I have one of the worst physiques of anyone in the Ovr35 forum. But I am getting there, and I know I am doing something right because I am losing weight getting leaner and still maintaining the mass I acquired.

But you know what? When I ate more carbs I felt like crap, and didn't perform as well in the gym as when I was consuming more protein. Which tells me all those studies you posted don't mean a freaking thing to me. I have to do what works and I listened to guys who have been where I am and I am doing what they said worked for them and amazingly enough, it is working for me. I don't have a link for my study but I can tell you that it is working for whatever that is worth.
    My studies stated exactly what you're saying. You perform better on a higher fat higher protien low carb diet. Which is what my studies said. You decreased carbs up the fat and protien lost fat and improved performance

Scientific knowledge and personal experience/observation don't need to be mutually exclusive. One should realize that scientific research is flawed, just like personal experience/observation is and so one should use both in order to make an informed and rational decision.

Amstat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Amstat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Amstat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Amstat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Amstat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Amstat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Amstat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Amstat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Amstat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Amstat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Amstat has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You do realize how miniscule of a difference something like hot sauce has on your caloric expenditure, right?
    I think he is referring to the metabolism boost which some studies have shown hot peppers produce.

Wink

I live it everyday buddy have been for 20 years. I'll be stepping on stage for the fifth time in march. You've been training 25 years and you're what 125lbs on stage?

discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    . I have one of the worst physiques of anyone in the Ovr35 forum.
    Hardly. Especially you factor in the ones who mainly hang out and misc.
    Sheriff John Brown always hated me
    For what I don't know
    Every time I plant a seed
    He said kill them before they grow

Scientific knowledge and personal experience/observation don't need to be mutually exclusive. One should realize that scientific research is flawed, just like personal experience/observation is and so one should use both in order to make an informed and rational decision.
    It's ok he's just pissed I'm bigger and leaner than him. I'm not just an academic I've trained college and pro athletes, played college baseball and I compete on stage too. He's just pissed I've got better results doing it differently than he does. I refute the conventional bro science and he doesn't like that.
    Last edited by azstrengthcoach; 01-28-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Originally Posted by Amstat View Post
    I think he is referring to the metabolism boost which some studies have shown hot peppers produce.
    ... Which is a non-factor considering how tiny it is comparatively to the grand scheme.

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    . In chaos previous post he said we need 400 grams a day to prevent performance impairments
    I did?

I'm pretty sure you're full of sh*t.

It's ok he's just pissed I'm bigger and leaner than him. I'm not just an academic I've trained college and pro athletes, played college baseball and I compete on stage too. He's just pissed I've got better results doing it differently than he does. I refute the conventional bro science and he doesn't like that.
    I find this funny as my arms measure bigger than yours. So, how do you figure that you are bigger?. My strength is much more than your pound for pound as well. You avoided this before.
    Trust me.... I'm not gonna expect or wait for a response since you didn't before.
    Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

I find this funny as my arms measure bigger than yours. So, how do you figure that you are bigger?. My strength is much more than your pound for pound as well. You avoided this before.
    Trust me.... I'm not gonna expect or wait for a response since you didn't before.
    I'm 7" taller than you it's harder to fill out arms when you're bigger. You're 7" shorter and I'm guessing your body fat is twice what mine is. If you're 150 off season at I'm guessing 15-16% bf you're
    probably 135lbs maybe at 8% and probably 125-130 on stage? I'm willing to bet your arms shrink at least a half inch or more when you drop down to 7-8% body fat. I have no idea what your lifting e stats are, but if you want to do some Sinclair coefficient studies to compare your height to mine fine by me. The fact you argued with me about how powerlifters trained when I stated exactly how they train shows how little you know

I did?

I'm pretty sure you're full of sh*t.
    Ditto

azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I started taking some extra vitamin D3 supps last week to help combat the wintertime blues. Seems like a lot of the people here could stand to do the same. It's been awfully cranky around here lately.

I'm 7" taller than you it's harder to fill out arms when you're bigger. You're 7" shorter and I'm guessing your body fat is twice what mine is. If you're 150 off season at I'm guessing 15-16% bf you're
    probably 135lbs maybe at 8% and probably 125-130 on stage? I'm willing to bet your arms shrink at least a half inch or more when you drop down to 7-8% body fat. I have no idea what your lifting e stats are, but if you want to do some Sinclair coefficient studies to compare your height to mike fine by me.
    Yeah just as I thought... Lets compare studies.
    I'll tell you what. 2.86 x your bodyweight would be 585lbs. How bout you post a video of you deadlifting that. That would equal my pound for pound 2.86% lift.
    I'll give you until this Sunday!

I'll go first My "e-stats" just taken a month or so ago....

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I used straps so what.
    Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

It makes me sad that older people still act like bickering ten year olds.

discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's ok he's just pissed I'm bigger and leaner than him. .
    Lulz.

Everyone is soooo convinced they have "haterz."

People, please. Get over yourselves.
    Sheriff John Brown always hated me
    For what I don't know
    Every time I plant a seed
    He said kill them before they grow