Page 51 of 122 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 101 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 3640
    Andypandy999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andypandy999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andypandy999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andypandy999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andypandy999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andypandy999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andypandy999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andypandy999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andypandy999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andypandy999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andypandy999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    right ive been reading through this thread for the last 4 days now and lovin g the info,...

BUT i have one last question, after a workout should i include carbs in my shake or leave them out???

seems some people say add and some people say leave them.....???

which is best and most affective to make sure i stay in keto?

ANdy

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Totally up to you. Some people find recovery is better with a small amount of carbs, others find no difference either way. Try it both ways and see which you like. The amount of carbs should be small enough that ketosis is not affected.

I found that after a normal workout, I didn't need carbs. After one of those where you are literally crawling on the floor to the blender, some dextrose helped a lot.
    65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs = keto.

http://www.eileengormley.com/ Funny science fiction for bodybuilders

Andypandy999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andypandy999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andypandy999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andypandy999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andypandy999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andypandy999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andypandy999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andypandy999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andypandy999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andypandy999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andypandy999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i felt like that today so decided to have a spoon full of peanut butter to get a tad bit of sugar in the blood as i was dizzy as hell....

Looking forward to carb night on friday like my muscle are starting to get very very tired, need some glycogen to get them moving again...only 2 more sessions to go, BRING IT ON...lol

andy

Diet today has been

Breakfast-3 eggs scrambled egg

snack - 1 x large burger

lunch - myoplex protein shake

snack - 4 100% pork sausages

dinner 4 egg omelet, hand full of peas, 2 100% beef sausages
    Last edited by Andypandy999; 04-01-2009 at 12:48 PM.

lurker9999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lurker9999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lurker9999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lurker9999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lurker9999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lurker9999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lurker9999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lurker9999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lurker9999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lurker9999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lurker9999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Question guys, I am going to try a keto diet. I usually make my whey protein shake after working out with 2% milk. Will this take me out of ketosis? Should I add any more carbs to it? Or is the carbs from the milk enough?

Thanks!

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Milk is not ideal, though it's not a disaster. You are better with a high gi carb like dextrose.

Does I have catabolismz? TaoistWarrior's Avatar
    TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Andypandy999 View Post
    i felt like that today so decided to have a spoon full of peanut butter to get a tad bit of sugar in the blood as i was dizzy as hell....

Looking forward to carb night on friday like my muscle are starting to get very very tired, need some glycogen to get them moving again...only 2 more sessions to go, BRING IT ON...lol

andy

Diet today has been

Breakfast-3 eggs scrambled egg

snack - 1 x large burger

lunch - myoplex protein shake

snack - 4 100% pork sausages

dinner 4 egg omelet, hand full of peas, 2 100% beef sausages
    Andy where are the vegetables?
    It's time for a Breakthrough.

Bruin4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Workout week?

If i change the workout week to reflect Thurday through monday instead of monday thru friday, should i also change my carb ups as well to the end of my workout week or can i leave it mon-fri?

Thanks

Originally Posted by TaoistWarrior View Post
    Andy where are the vegetables?

Yeah i wasnt eatin enough greens but have ben adding them every day now...you know what i didnt ven realise i was missing them out till someone else noticed. Just wasnt thinking...

Originally Posted by Bruin4life View Post
    If i change the workout week to reflect Thurday through monday instead of monday thru friday, should i also change my carb ups as well to the end of my workout week or can i leave it mon-fri?

Thanks
    Do your carb-up at the end of your workout week, when you've thrashed every muscle group.

ColoradoGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have read through a lot of this thread and might have missed the answer to my question but here goes.

How long do you stay on this for? How do you come off of the diet or is this something you can maintain for life?

Thanks in advance.

You can stay on it as long as you want. I'm eight years on it now. When you get to maintenance, adjust your calories. If you want to come off it, the classic way is to gradually increase your clean carbs while reducing your fat, until you find the level that is comfortable. If you are a BB-er who is strict about your calories, you can switch to any other diet with similar calories. You'll put on a bit of water weight, but not fat.

ColoradoGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    You can stay on it as long as you want. I'm eight years on it now. When you get to maintenance, adjust your calories. If you want to come off it, the classic way is to gradually increase your clean carbs while reducing your fat, until you find the level that is comfortable. If you are a BB-er who is strict about your calories, you can switch to any other diet with similar calories. You'll put on a bit of water weight, but not fat.
    Thank you for the information...I will definitely be giving this a go starting tomorrow morning!

Repped.

6months has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Carb Up Day.

Hey Everyone, I am really confused as to what to do on carb up day. How do I know how much carbs I consume in that day and half? I am 4 days away from my carb up day. Can anyone explain to me the restrictions and limits of carbs and types of carbs I am allowed to eat?

Better yet can someone explain what this means from the first forum post?

"Your "carb-up" should begin Friday night and last until around midnight Saturday. Now the next important issue to address is how many carbs. Some lucky individuals find that they eat whatever they want for the 24-30 hour time interval and receive perfect glycogen compensation, while others rely on a better statistical number.

What has been recommended by other authors of the CKD is 10-12 grams of carbs per kilogram of lean mass. Again, time to do math. Our example had 160 pounds of lean mass, so divide that by the conversion factor of 2.2, and we get roughly 73 kg.

100 Grams of easily digested liquid carbs along with around half as many grams of carbs in protein (here 50) as a whey shake or something of that nature should be taken right after the last workout (which I will address in the workout section of the article) when insulin sensitivity will be at its greatest."

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

I'm assuming you are female? If so, ignore that.

As a general rule, I'd aim for about 20% above your normal maintenance calories. More if you are already ripped and trying to gain quality muscle, less if you are more interested in fat loss. Keep protein around the same, fat as low as possible and all the rest of your calories should come from clean, boring carbs. Oatmeal, root veg, pulses, beans, wholegrains, low fat dairy, chicken breast, tuna, egg white, cottage cheese etc.

I'd even suggest keeping it shorter than the Friday evening to Saturday night. For many people, a 12 hour carb-up is plenty. Start Saturday morning, end when you go to bed.

6months has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Thanks ~!

Thanks Eileen!
    Yes I am female, sorry I didn't mention that and I am not trying to gain muscle but lose some much unneeded fat! Thanks so much for clarifying things. I have apples and cantaloupe sitting in my house waiting for me to consume them.
    Last edited by 6months; 04-28-2009 at 06:29 PM.

Have fun on your carb-up. Nothing like keto to get you excited about eating oatmeal. Don't go mad with the fruit, fructose is good to start it and make sure you are out of ketosis but don't use it as your main carb.

For a female carb-up, I reckon lots of soups are good, carby but filling. Rye crackers rather than bread can make your calories go further.

Generally, one high gi meal, shortly after your depletion workout, is fine, then switch to the lower gi foods.

robnot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    with respect to the OP whose post and this whole thread I found to be very informative and helpful in devising a keto plan for myself, anyone wanting to start a CKD or any KD may want to look at this first: www.atkinsexposed.com

it led me to give up following a KD, which I'm still somewhat bummed about.

if anyone refutes the info on this website I'd love to hear their arguments, I was very into my CKD, had modest results but could not ignore the niggling doubts that I was doing something very wrong to my body.

robnot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    its actually www.atkinsexposed.org (not .com)

but they both work anyways

hindsight is always 20/20 fishscale4sale's Avatar
    fishscale4sale has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishscale4sale has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishscale4sale has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishscale4sale has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishscale4sale has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishscale4sale has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishscale4sale has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishscale4sale has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishscale4sale has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishscale4sale has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishscale4sale has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by robnot View Post
    its actually www.atkinsexposed.org (not .com)

but they both work anyways
    The Atkins diet is very different than a CKD diet. The atkins diet is low-carb all the time. The CKD diet is carb-cycling, meaning you eat no carbs for the week, then on weekends you 'refill' carbs by eating a lot of them.

In any case, that site is a lot of rubbish. It doesn't prove that Atkins was wrong, or that his diet doesn't work, just that a lot of people have lots of speculations over various aspects of it. I remember reading in one of his books that Dr Atkins himself was not allowed to attend the conference that thrashed his reputation and rubbished his diet.

There have been lots of studies in the past ten years, some of which were intended to discredit the diet, which proved that Atkins is a safe and effective diet. I find it funny how often a study will compare diets, find Atkins/keto is the best, but conclude "As we don't know the long term effects of this diet, we recommend Weight Watchers."

Speaking as someone who has been pregnant, I can tell you that ketosis is a normal state for many pregnant women, and seems to be a protective mechanism for when the mother can't keep food down without puking. Not that I set out to be in ketosis, but morning, noon and night sickness meant I often was.

Between us on this forum, I reckon we've logged enough keto years to be pretty aware of the side-effects of keto and ketosis, and I think I can safely say that the good far outweighs the bad.

As an example, I've been doing keto for over eight years. My gallstones have disappeared, my heartburn has gone and I only get migraine about twice a year. My blood pressure is low, my blood work is perfect. At my last physical, the worst they could find was flat feet.

a7mad_o has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hello, i was wandering do i have to eat the same amount of fat, protein, and carbs for this diet to work? to rephrase my question: I eat 150-175g of fat and 160-200g of protein my carb intake on a bad day dose not go over 45g what im asking is if i eat less fat one day but still the same protein dose that do anything to fat loss process? by one day i mean its different everyday! i have been on this diet for a month now and love it i just dont see as much results as everyone else that has dont it!

thanks

A.D

Obviously aim for 65/30/5 but no-one who eats a varied diet always gets it exact. The diet will still work.

What are your stats, what is your diet/calorie count?

madelineoneil is just really nice. (+1000) madelineoneil is just really nice. (+1000) madelineoneil is just really nice. (+1000) madelineoneil is just really nice. (+1000) madelineoneil is just really nice. (+1000) madelineoneil is just really nice. (+1000) madelineoneil is just really nice. (+1000) madelineoneil is just really nice. (+1000) madelineoneil is just really nice. (+1000) madelineoneil is just really nice. (+1000) madelineoneil is just really nice. (+1000)
    hmmm, this thread is very interesting...i am new to bb.com, but not new to low carbing...i wouldnt say im an atkineer, but a "low carber." ive done it for over a year, and LOVE it...ill never do anything else, probably.

so the difference here is carb cycling? my husband does that from time to time, he likes it alot. (i think what he does specifically is body opus, not sure if anyone is familiar...?) im not sure its for me. i do reward my self with a "carb weekend" every now and again tho. those are fun, but i bloat so so so SOOOO bad that it seems to take me the whole next week and ahalf to get rid of it. ill be honest, im afraid to do the carb cycling thing full on. i tried it for 6 weeks or so, and i felt really yucky and bloated and fat. would you guys say that this carb cycling program is the ONLY way to go? i dont know...ive had great success with low carbin.

as far as low carb and muscle...also interesting. ive gained ALOT of muscle in the time ive done low carb, but i wonder if i would have gained more had i been carb cycling, as i have heard that constant low carb isnt exactly muscle sparing. that being said, my goal isnt to get huge either...its just, you know...what im sure alot of girls on here want. to be toned, sorta ripped, especially in the midsection, and no body fat

madelineoneil is just really nice. (+1000) madelineoneil is just really nice. (+1000) madelineoneil is just really nice. (+1000) madelineoneil is just really nice. (+1000) madelineoneil is just really nice. (+1000) madelineoneil is just really nice. (+1000) madelineoneil is just really nice. (+1000) madelineoneil is just really nice. (+1000) madelineoneil is just really nice. (+1000) madelineoneil is just really nice. (+1000) madelineoneil is just really nice. (+1000)
    eileen, your signature says 65% fat + 30% protein + 5% carbs = keto...thats what i try and shoot for every day tho further up in the post, someone said that "keto" and "low carb" are 2 different things...?

dirty-jersey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dirty-jersey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dirty-jersey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dirty-jersey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dirty-jersey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dirty-jersey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dirty-jersey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dirty-jersey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dirty-jersey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dirty-jersey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dirty-jersey has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Could someone please explain how to post the picture of your foods and ratios from fitday?
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained..."

Originally Posted by madelineoneil View Post
    eileen, your signature says 65% fat + 30% protein + 5% carbs = keto...thats what i try and shoot for every day tho further up in the post, someone said that "keto" and "low carb" are 2 different things...?
    Keto is when you keep carbs low enough that you are definitely in ketosis. Low carb, for most people, means not eating cookies and cake, and having brown rice instead of white.

Most low carbers eat some fruit, drink milk and even eat some brown bread, but don't eat sugar, biscuits, pizza, fries etc.

aaaah, ok. well, i definately dont eat any of those things! i usually stay around 10-15 g of carbs per day...and i do "wee" on the ketostix regularly. plus, i have the yucky ketosis breath! my poor husband. although, he has it too.

Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Obviously aim for 65/30/5 but no-one who eats a varied diet always gets it exact. The diet will still work.
    What are your stats, what is your diet/calorie count?
    5'10, 158-162lbs 11.6 %bf going off of the work out plan that is in this thread. i noticed that the carb ups do not help me out at all!! not sure why i take in around 650g of carbs. mondays are the worst days ever! i have no energy what so ever but as the days go by i start getting better til friday, then it starts over again.
    MAINTENANCE calories :2400 so i have been going off of what blindfaith posted, i do take in around 1900-2300cals a day. i started with this diet at 165-167 body weight and at 13% fat i dropped to 158-162 and 11.6% fat in a month not sure if thats good i have see people that drop a ton more their first month but i dont lose fat very easy!, i do aim for 65/30/5 but varies by maybe 10-15g less but only the fats protein is always high and carbs are always very low.

thanks for the response

Css_player has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi guys, hvae no really posted on these forums.
    I have been surfin around alot though and found some useful info.
    Just not sure how to start keto.
    Im 145-149lb about 5' 5 around
    bf im not sure. but from pictures i have seen i would estimate mine between 18-23-ish.
    Any help is appreciated.

Originally Posted by Css_player View Post
    Hi guys, hvae no really posted on these forums.
    I have been surfin around alot though and found some useful info.
    Just not sure how to start keto.
    Im 145-149lb about 5' 5 around
    bf im not sure. but from pictures i have seen i would estimate mine between 18-23-ish.
    Any help is appreciated.
    read the first post in this thread by blindfaith, it is very helpful