Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by tovlakas View Post
    Since you're not a pt and have no place in this forum and haven't contributed a single thing to this thread except to talk smack on an off topic tangent, how about you get outta and go back to the misc kid?

True wisdom is knowing that there is tons out there that you don't know, and you will never know everything, and having the humility to admit it. OP should tattoo that to his forehead to remind himself daily. As someone in the thread previously stated, you aren't that tight. Get over yourself. If you hate the profession so much, here's a simple solution: GET THE **** OUT.

Man, I have been handing out negs like candy on this thread, lol. Some of you people think your **** don't stink and I have to say you're wrong.
    wow. i think ive only said it about 50 times.... the people that train like any typical pt are the ones that think they know everything. ive found the quote "the more you know the more you realize there is so much more you really don't know." most people who train people for "recomp" and all that other **** do it because they simply aren't good enough to do anything other than what they see in some POS yahoo "tone your butt" magazine article.

like i said before, once you learn why the sky is blue, you learn that everyone else thinks the sky is green, and it gets perpetuated over and over and over and over again. do i train my clients like an athlete? NO. do i realize that many strength coaches train their athletes differently than they would a 40 year old man? YES. do YOU realize that many movements and lifts that athletes do should not be "x'ed" out of a 40 year old man's exercise routine simply because they are athletes? NO.

many people make athletes squat because it is a fundamental closed chain exercise that stimulates the entire body. a leg curl does not. it takes no skill to train a 40 year old milf and make her lose weight. period.

BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500)

man, i have been handing out negs like candy on this thread, lol. Some of you people think your **** don't stink and i have to say you're wrong.
    talk about the pot calling the kettle black..............

tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by BC02 View Post
    talk about the pot calling the kettle black..............
    that's funny, do you see me creating threads belittling the industry and clientele and acting like i know everything and am too far above the fray to associate with others in the field? Pretty darn sure nothing like that's ever come out of my fingertips on this forum. Sure, I offer my experience to people to try to help them, unlike you, who simply whines and complains and repeats the same tired crybaby statement that training in a gym is nothing more than sales, even in threads about independent training having absolutely nothing to do with gym training..

My real question is why people like you and OP are even wasting your/our time in this forum.. if you don't like personal training why are you spending time posting in a forum dedicated to it?

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hitithard: You still have not answered the real question behind your post.
    Why with all of your skill and vast knowledge do you worry about us mere mortals. Why not just work with the advanced athlets that must surly be lined up to have to help them. Leave the huddled masses to the rest of us.

BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500)
    that's funny, do you see me creating threads belittling the industry
    it needs to be belittled

tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by HitItHard View Post
    wow. i think ive only said it about 50 times.... the people that train like any typical pt are the ones that think they know everything. ive found the quote "the more you know the more you realize there is so much more you really don't know." most people who train people for "recomp" and all that other **** do it because they simply aren't good enough to do anything other than what they see in some POS yahoo "tone your butt" magazine article.

like i said before, once you learn why the sky is blue, you learn that everyone else thinks the sky is green, and it gets perpetuated over and over and over and over again. do i train my clients like an athlete? NO. do i realize that many strength coaches train their athletes differently than they would a 40 year old man? YES. do YOU realize that many movements and lifts that athletes do should not be "x'ed" out of a 40 year old man's exercise routine simply because they are athletes? NO.

many people make athletes squat because it is a fundamental closed chain exercise that stimulates the entire body. a leg curl does not. it takes no skill to train a 40 year old milf and make her lose weight. period.
    that's weird, last time I checked the main purpose of a career was to make money... so you're faulting personal trainers who cater to the needs of the mainstream market? So since it takes "no skill" to train a 40 year old woman to lose weight, that's something that is WRONG to do even though it may make her life more enjoyable, make her a happier healthier person who lives longer?

I got into this industry to a. help people live healthier, happier lives and b. make money. I don't need your inflated egotistical, self-rightous level of exercise biology knowledge to accomplish this, and who the hell are you to pass judgement on me for that? You continue to miss my point because while you may be educated, you aren't intelligent and have no reading comprehension skills. 90% of the market out there who wants/needs personal trainers want/need to lose weight to live longer, to be happier and to be pain free.

None of the things you are talking about have any bearing on that at all. Knowing the biomechanics from a scientific laboratory standpoint makes no ****ing difference when a senior citizen who has suffered from diabetes and lower back pain comes in desiring to make their bodies pain free and to reduce the symptoms of diabetes. A simple routine that is scientifically supported to safely increase strength and a nutrition plan designed to reduce obesity and regulate blood sugar levels is all that is required to accomplish everything that client desires.

The bottom line is that 90-95% of the client market out there falls into a similar situation. They don't have complex needs so there is no reason to over complicate ourselves with learning the most intimate science behind it. It IS IMPORTANT to use scientifically-supported methods of training, that are safe and effective, but a successful trainer doesn't need to know exactly what biomechanical action happens at each minute step of the way in order to prescribe effective, safe workouts. If you want to become a professor, go into the medical industry as a physiotherapist or whatever or train high-risk clients like professional athletes, then sure that knowledge is needed and you would be an idiot not to spend your time educating yourself on it.

For me, it's much more critical for me to continue to educate myself on business skills like communicating ideas/concepts with my clients more effectively, how to market more effectively, how to train my brain to be more creative to continue building my experience, etc. These skills will allow me to reach more people, which will help me accomplish my goals: to help as many people as possible enjoy a better life and to make money.

Also, don't put words in my mouth... where did I ever ONCE say that many movements that athletes do shouldn't be included in a standard exercise program? I never once said anything similar to that, so stop building a straw man just because you have NO POINT WHATSOEVER. I train people based on scientifically-supported concepts, not circus acts, however I also don't believe that an incredibly highly-advanced knowledge of biomechanics is needed to avoid being thrown in the category of "disgusting loser trainer who should be shot" like your snotty ass does.

If personal training is too unskilled of an industry for you, fine but why waste your time whining about it? It's like if some moron came in here venting about how unskilled 99% of gas station employees are and how it's disgusting once you've interned at an oil company... or how lame the fast-food employees are for not having attended a professional culinary school in France. you are wasting your breath and your point is moot and honestly, completely ****ing idiotic.
    Last edited by tovlakas; 09-12-2010 at 05:30 PM.

that's funny, do you see me creating threads belittling the industry and clientele and acting like i know everything and am too far above the fray to associate with others in the field? Pretty darn sure nothing like that's ever come out of my fingertips on this forum. Sure, I offer my experience to people to try to help them, unlike you, who simply whines and complains and repeats the same tired crybaby statement that training in a gym is nothing more than sales, even in threads about independent training having absolutely nothing to do with gym training..

My real question is why people like you and OP are even wasting your/our time in this forum.. if you don't like personal training why are you spending time posting in a forum dedicated to it?

i have many friends in the pers training field

I got into this industry to a. help people live healthier, happier lives and b. make money.
    im not an overweight low self esteem prospect, so im not gonna fall for that bs.

Originally Posted by carl.c View Post
    Why with all of your skill and vast knowledge do you worry about us mere mortals. Why not just work with the advanced athlets that must surly be lined up to have to help them. Leave the huddled masses to the rest of us.
    those jobs are few and far between. almost have to know somebody to get one of those jobs

Originally Posted by BC02 View Post
    im not an overweight low self esteem prospect, so im not gonna fall for that bs.
    I don't give a **** what you think. I have built my business around my vision and don't need some hater like you to give your stamp of approval for me to succeed.

You are a classic example of the type of person referred to as a "leech"... someone who is unsuccessful and bitter about their lack of ability to succeed in life. Rather than working on improving themselves and their situation, they waste all their effort being negative and tearing everyone else around them down to their level. These types of people are toxic and anyone with a desire to be successful needs to put as much distance between themselves and these losers as possible.

As such, I am going to take my own advice and block you. In the year and a half that I've been posting in this subforum I have not seen you make a single relevant, helpful post. You are one of the most worthless forum members I've ever encountered, congratulations.

Smoko is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smoko is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smoko is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smoko is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smoko is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smoko is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smoko is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smoko is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smoko is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smoko is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smoko is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I don't give a **** what you think. I have built my business around my vision and don't need some hater like you to give your stamp of approval for me to succeed.

You are a classic example of the type of person referred to as a "leech"... someone who is unsuccessful and bitter about their lack of ability to succeed in life. Rather than working on improving themselves and their situation, they waste all their effort being negative and tearing everyone else around them down to their level. These types of people are toxic and anyone with a desire to be successful needs to put as much distance between themselves and these losers as possible.

As such, I am going to take my own advice and block you. In the year and a half that I've been posting in this subforum I have not seen you make a single relevant, helpful post. You are one of the most worthless forum members I've ever encountered, congratulations.
    Your last few posts have been dead on....
    όλα ή τίποτα

Link to my latest log http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158637713&p=1171760983#post1171760983

i bet ive got my clients into better shape than you have yours. i got results. damn good results. how many 5'2 120lb fm clients do you have who can do lunges with 150 lbs?

HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by carl.c View Post
    ive already answered that about 5 times.... and im not going to answer it again

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    because having a chance to work with athletes is not as common and easy to get hired for.
    So finding a job which matched your abilities was hard. So you're not doing it.

Do you pass this attitude on to your clients?

Originally Posted by HitItHard
    most football coaches in fact get to choose their strength coaches a lot of places.
    And you haven't been chosen? Why not? Didn't you tell us how brilliant you were?
    Originally Posted by HitItHard
    My problem is with the field of personal training itself, where people simply train their clients in a way that will illicit an improvement
    I assume you mean "elicit." "Illicit" is something else. You shouldn't use words if you're not sure what they mean, especially if you want to claim to be very well-educated. Words are like weights, better light ones used with good form than heavy ones slopped around.

That aside... your complaint is that PTs are training people in a way that gets results?

WTF?

Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post
    So finding a job which matched your abilities was hard. So you're not doing it.

Do you pass this attitude on to your clients?

And you haven't been chosen? Why not? Didn't you tell us how brilliant you were?

I assume you mean "elicit." "Illicit" is something else. You shouldn't use words if you're not sure what they mean, especially if you want to claim to be very well-educated. Words are like weights, better light ones used with good form than heavy ones slopped around.

That aside... your complaint is that PTs are training people in a way that gets results?

WTF?
    oh shut up man now you are just trying to be a smart ass.

and no, my complaint is that many PTs don't even realize that you could take any sedentary individual, do any random **** and get results. It isn't hard. I just simply feel like the industry is full of people that liked to lift weights and decided to take a certification course and then think they are hot **** when they pass. Even the CSCS exam, which requires a Bachelors degree (unlike most others), seemed really hard when I took it my senior year of undergrad. I had to wait all year for my scores since I hadn't graduated yet and I was on pins and needles the whole time. After grad school I just recently went back to all the practice exams (I had all 3) and just kept looking at them like "are you fking kidding me...." It was like night and day. It made me realize just how many people are acting like all the cert exams are so difficult (like I did) and then after post graduate education it was just a joke. Some of my teachers work on the NSCA board and even they admit that trainers aren't even qualified really until they have post graduate education because its so easy up to that point.

I'm not saying im smarter than anyone, and I know I'm not the best trainer, but atleast I can admit that my job isn't to be taken very seriously, especially after seeing just how in depth things can get; and if you feel like you are doing a great thing by helping some 40 year old lose weight and increase her flexibility and shoulder ROM then don't get ahead of yourself because it's so easy to do. hurray for being a life coach and getting some sedentary fat **** off the couch for once

seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    u missed my point entirely. im saying its impposible NOT to feel egotistical about training when you've been around olympic weightlifting and powerlifting and strong athletes in a research situation as well as a practicle situation. i don't want to be a personal trainer associated with all the other bs you would find in a "fitness center" because frankly that takes no skill at all and even personal trainers that do that sh%t just do it because they dont even know any better and havn't experienced other styles first hand. theres a difference between teaching someone how to do a damn bicep curl on a ball vs. programming a 6 week short macrocycle to get a legit 1rm for a 50 yr old male to have percentages to work off of to help him get stronger.

it would help if certifying bodies required a Bachelors in the field to even take a certification test, but the only one I am aware of that does is the NSCA CSCS certification.

YES!!! YOU ARE 100% CORRECT.

I was a college football coach/strength coach at a Division 1-AA school for 6 years. Got my undergrad degree in exercise science, and all the little certificates after, and dabbled in the personal training business for a couple years before I left the gym wanting to vomit (mentally) every day by watching the fitness industry in action.

- For one, personal trainers need to quit training in a way that is done FOR THEIR CONTINUED PROFIT. Yes, sorry to all the PT's out there, but you guys complicate **** way too much. As the OP said, once the human body and how it is trained is understood, you learn that balance balls, "core" exercise and all that trendy crap is a waste of time. Sure, it looks and sounds cool, but it's less effective than the old standbys.

- So why the trendy stuff? To CONVINCE people (aka customers) that "without my personal trainer, I'd be lost". So, overcomplicate the concepts to the point that a person feels they cannot do it themselves. Result will be a continued customer base for the PT's, and continued pay.

- Just before I left, I wanted to start a training group called "Fire Me Fitness". The idea, and goal, was that within 8 weeks, the client would be able to fire me. Yep. I'd provide them with the knowledge and plan to get fit INDEPENDENTLY without me, FIRE ME, and begin their healthy lifestyle. Why did it fail? The gym owners felt that they would lose members and clients paying extra if they no longer felt like they needed personal trainers. Thats the day I said "F**K THIS" because I was there to help people get in shape, not to convince them it was so hard that they needed to keep paying some douchebag to tell them his "fitness secrets".

It's proven fact that more lean muscle mass equals better long term health. You get lean muscle mass by the traditional way: Lifting weights, lifting hard, doing the basics, and eating clean. Not by sitting on a bouncy ball while pulling a rubber band tied to a pole. Not by hopping sideways on a treadmill while holding a 2.1 pound dumbell overhead.

Theres a reason you don't see many really fit people working with personal trainers. They keep themselves fit because you don't need a PT to get fit or stay fit. But unfortunately, someone is convincing these folks that it's SO COMPLICATED that they must pay $$ month after month, for their 2 times a week session that isn't doing jack for them.

If I had a friend wanting to hire a PT, I'd recommend them to the OP who is disgruntled and ready to quit that job ANY DAY over the trendy personal trainer with a massive client list. If his list is so big, he must not be doing his damn job. If you cannot fire your personal trainer within 8 weeks, he's failing you.

OP, kudos for speaking the truth about the scam that is 90% of personal trainers these days. I understand hiring someone to rehab an injury or for caring for specific medical issues. But just to lose fat and get in shape? Screw PT's for that, 90% of them just want you to keep coming back. 8 weeks he should be fired because the client is now independently capable. Squat, deadlift, bench, row, sprint. Repeat. Harder each time.

OP, go back into college sports training. Thats what I did. Their goal isn't to keep customers dependent, theirs is to win. Thus, their methods are the best for getting people into shape the quickest way possible.

And for any PT's out there who disagree with anything I said, I'll leave you with this. I'll show you two examples of the human body being whipped into shape, GREAT shape, in a very short time:

- College football camp
    - Military boot camp

What does 90% of the bullsh** personal training workouts these days have in common with those? Nothing.

Smoko is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smoko is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smoko is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smoko is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smoko is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smoko is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smoko is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smoko is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smoko is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smoko is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smoko is on a distinguished road. (+10)

and no, my complaint is that many PTs don't even realize that you could take any sedentary individual, do any random **** and get results. It isn't hard. I just simply feel like the industry is full of people that liked to lift weights and decided to take a certification course and then think they are hot **** when they pass. Even the CSCS exam, which requires a Bachelors degree (unlike most others), seemed really hard when I took it my senior year of undergrad. I had to wait all year for my scores since I hadn't graduated yet and I was on pins and needles the whole time. After grad school I just recently went back to all the practice exams (I had all 3) and just kept looking at them like "are you fking kidding me...." It was like night and day. It made me realize just how many people are acting like all the cert exams are so difficult (like I did) and then after post graduate education it was just a joke. Some of my teachers work on the NSCA board and even they admit that trainers aren't even qualified really until they have post graduate education because its so easy up to that point.

I'm not saying im smarter than anyone, and I know I'm not the best trainer, but atleast I can admit that my job isn't to be taken very seriously, especially after seeing just how in depth things can get; and if you feel like you are doing a great thing by helping some 40 year old lose weight and increase her flexibility and shoulder ROM then don't get ahead of yourself because it's so easy to do. hurray for being a life coach and getting some sedentary fat **** off the couch for once
    what the **** do you suggest then almighty one
    όλα ή τίποτα

Link to my latest log http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158637713&p=1171760983#post1171760983

seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    that's weird, last time I checked the main purpose of a career was to make money... so you're faulting personal trainers who cater to the needs of the mainstream market? So since it takes "no skill" to train a 40 year old woman to lose weight, that's something that is WRONG to do even though it may make her life more enjoyable, make her a happier healthier person who lives longer?

I got into this industry to a. help people live healthier, happier lives and b. make money. I don't need your inflated egotistical, self-rightous level of exercise biology knowledge to accomplish this, and who the hell are you to pass judgement on me for that? You continue to miss my point because while you may be educated, you aren't intelligent and have no reading comprehension skills. 90% of the market out there who wants/needs personal trainers want/need to lose weight to live longer, to be happier and to be pain free.

None of the things you are talking about have any bearing on that at all. Knowing the biomechanics from a scientific laboratory standpoint makes no ****ing difference when a senior citizen who has suffered from diabetes and lower back pain comes in desiring to make their bodies pain free and to reduce the symptoms of diabetes. A simple routine that is scientifically supported to safely increase strength and a nutrition plan designed to reduce obesity and regulate blood sugar levels is all that is required to accomplish everything that client desires.

The bottom line is that 90-95% of the client market out there falls into a similar situation. They don't have complex needs so there is no reason to over complicate ourselves with learning the most intimate science behind it. It IS IMPORTANT to use scientifically-supported methods of training, that are safe and effective, but a successful trainer doesn't need to know exactly what biomechanical action happens at each minute step of the way in order to prescribe effective, safe workouts. If you want to become a professor, go into the medical industry as a physiotherapist or whatever or train high-risk clients like professional athletes, then sure that knowledge is needed and you would be an idiot not to spend your time educating yourself on it.

For me, it's much more critical for me to continue to educate myself on business skills like communicating ideas/concepts with my clients more effectively, how to market more effectively, how to train my brain to be more creative to continue building my experience, etc. These skills will allow me to reach more people, which will help me accomplish my goals: to help as many people as possible enjoy a better life and to make money.

Also, don't put words in my mouth... where did I ever ONCE say that many movements that athletes do shouldn't be included in a standard exercise program? I never once said anything similar to that, so stop building a straw man just because you have NO POINT WHATSOEVER. I train people based on scientifically-supported concepts, not circus acts, however I also don't believe that an incredibly highly-advanced knowledge of biomechanics is needed to avoid being thrown in the category of "disgusting loser trainer who should be shot" like your snotty ass does.

If personal training is too unskilled of an industry for you, fine but why waste your time whining about it? It's like if some moron came in here venting about how unskilled 99% of gas station employees are and how it's disgusting once you've interned at an oil company... or how lame the fast-food employees are for not having attended a professional culinary school in France. you are wasting your breath and your point is moot and honestly, completely ****ing idiotic.
    What you are saying about the elderly is true, and it would also be so for rehab of an injury.

I think the OP's point, and I may be mistaken, is that a 30 year old man in otherwise good health but is just too fat, is wasting time and money hiring 95% of the personal trainers out there who make it too easy.

I'm sure this varies from gym to gym, and surely from individual PT to other PT's. But the experience I've had watching PT's work is simply a joke. 9 out of 10 are wasting their clients money. I've watched them and listened to them, basically explaining and commenting on 56 different "very important" technique issues of doing a simple lunge. They made clients feel so overwhelmed by the "science" that the poor client thought they had no choice but to keep paying $$ to train because it was too much for them to learn and do themselves.

I'm not hating on the individuals making a living, I just strongly disagree with their methods. BUT....thats partly due to the mentality of our society. If the workout was intense and very hard, 99% of clients wouldn't show up in the first place.

Most clients attitude is "I want to get in shape, but I don't want it to be too hard, or hurt too much". So on the flip side, you PT's are in a tough spot.

Thats why I tried to do "Fire Me Fitness". And it wasn't allowed in the gym. Manager thought we'd lose clients. But the idea was, give me 6-8 weeks, and you'll never hire ME or any other PT again, because you won't need to. You'll have all the knowledge you'll ever need to do it yourself.

My opinion is PT's should enable clients to operate independently of the PT in the futuer. Take them through the workout, but convince them they don't need you. Convince them and build their confidence that they can do it themselves, that it's not that complicated, and then ensure them that unless they do it alone, they'll never stick with it.

But then again......that attitude is why I didn't last long in that field I suppose. Back to college sports for me, where getting strong and fit as quick as possible is the absolute demand.

Originally Posted by Smoko View Post
    what the **** do you suggest then almighty one
    i don't know. if i knew what to do then i wouldn't be so troubled by the issue.

Its just hard to deal with everyday when you start to notice everything around you and just how ridiculous it is. Just turn on the TV and listen for a few minutes.

It's like once you accept that the news media is biased, or start listening for it, you will want to kill yourself. Or, for example, pay attention to someone around you and once you notice an annoying habit or something they do that gets on your nerves, you will not be able to ignore it ever again. They could have been doing it every time they were around you nonstop but you never noticed it before. But once you notice it for the first time, you won't ever be able to go back to the way it was before and will want to take a knife to your throat.

I agree.

Me to 40 year old milf-tya (ten years ago): "Start counting your calories. Eat less than 1,800 a day. Jog a mile every night. Drink lots of water."

She's losing weight now. I'm so skilled.

Its just hard to deal with everyday when you start to notice everything around you and just how ridiculous it is. Just turn on the TV and listen for a few minutes.

It's like once you accept that the news media is biased, or start listening for it, you will want to kill yourself. Or, for example, pay attention to someone around you and once you notice an annoying habit or something they do that gets on your nerves, you will not be able to ignore it ever again. They could have been doing it every time they were around you nonstop but you never noticed it before. But once you notice it for the first time, you won't ever be able to go back to the way it was before and will want to take a knife to your throat.
    OK, I'm gonna play the antagonist now, since I agree on so much with you, but get this: I actually saw a group of PT's and their clients today using the "Shake Weights". I **** you not. They were in a half-circle. They held the shake weights, and did 10 seconds with them, then 5 air squats. They did that for about 1 minute, then rested about 5. Then repeated a few times.

For those of you unfamiliar, the "shake weight" is the dumbell on TV that looks like someone is jerking off a dumbell.

So these PT's had their clients in a half circle, jerking off a dumbell and air squatting 5 times. After my initial urge to yell out "circle jerk", (which of course I didn't, I'm not 15 years old, but couldn't help but laugh inside) I then came to the sad realization that those poor people are being scammed by those PT's to actually pay $$ for that.

Then I saw the PT moment of the day. He had a client doing bench presses in the smith machine. Not a big deal. Adds to the safety factor. It was a 30-something male. Fat ass. Big beer gut. He had 25's on each side of the smith machine doing bench. But the moment??? The PT put bar clamps on the smith machine bars. You know....in case the weights fell off during the bench press....on the smith machine. And I thought to myself.....this gym is letting this guy represent them? Then I remembered the type of people who own and run most commercial gyms.

Alright, after all of this I think I understand better. I guess the closest thing I can compare it to is my BA. I have a degree in Political Science and it is no secret that the masses are uninformed and I listen to people argue and debate politics all the time and they wonder "why its not this way, why its not that way" when they don't understand the process of how things got where they are or why certain things are stalled and dragged out, and I think to myself "You just don't understand"

where we differ though is i don't let it bother me
    όλα ή τίποτα

Alright, after all of this I think I understand better. I guess the closest thing I can compare it to is my BA. I have a degree in Political Science and it is no secret that the masses are uninformed and I listen to people argue and debate politics all the time and they wonder "why its not this way, why its not that way" when they don't understand the process of how things got where they are or why certain things are stalled and dragged out, and I think to myself "You just don't understand"

where we differ though is i don't let it bother me
    exactly bro. you hit the nail on the head.

and it didn't USED to bother me. until i decided to take that extra step and really make it a part of my life and made the internal decision that it was going to be important to me. Its just starting to get to me. A lot.

Especially after I stopped smoking pot :/

exactly bro. you hit the nail on the head.

and it didn't USED to bother me. until i decided to take that extra step and really make it a part of my life and made the internal decision that it was going to be important to me. Its just starting to get to me. A lot.

Especially after I stopped smoking pot :/

no no, i get you now. its just something that you don't have control over so you can't let it bother you.

my first professional baseball coach told me "Control the things you can control, don't worry about the ump, or the players behind you, control what you can control"

I still think its unfair to stereotype an entire group.

I feel like youre better suited for physical therapy. My physical therapist was the most knowledgeable person i have ever met in terms of understanding the body and how it works and why it works the way it does, and how to get the most efficient use out of it. She made my once flawed shoulder into a ROCK
    όλα ή τίποτα

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hitithard: Why are you on this sight notice it says personal trainers, BB has made a really good sight for you to post your rant its called the sports training sight.
    It amazes me how people come here post a bitch about personal training then are amazed that they a attacked and challenged.

WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by seabass08 View Post
    YES!!! YOU ARE 100% CORRECT.

I was a college football coach/strength coach at a Division 1-AA school for 6 years. Got my undergrad degree in exercise science, and all the little certificates after, and dabbled in the personal training business for a couple years before I left the gym wanting to vomit (mentally) every day by watching the fitness industry in action.

- For one, personal trainers need to quit training in a way that is done FOR THEIR CONTINUED PROFIT. Yes, sorry to all the PT's out there, but you guys complicate **** way too much. As the OP said, once the human body and how it is trained is understood, you learn that balance balls, "core" exercise and all that trendy crap is a waste of time. Sure, it looks and sounds cool, but it's less effective than the old standbys.

- So why the trendy stuff? To CONVINCE people (aka customers) that "without my personal trainer, I'd be lost". So, overcomplicate the concepts to the point that a person feels they cannot do it themselves. Result will be a continued customer base for the PT's, and continued pay.

- Just before I left, I wanted to start a training group called "Fire Me Fitness". The idea, and goal, was that within 8 weeks, the client would be able to fire me. Yep. I'd provide them with the knowledge and plan to get fit INDEPENDENTLY without me, FIRE ME, and begin their healthy lifestyle. Why did it fail? The gym owners felt that they would lose members and clients paying extra if they no longer felt like they needed personal trainers. Thats the day I said "F**K THIS" because I was there to help people get in shape, not to convince them it was so hard that they needed to keep paying some douchebag to tell them his "fitness secrets".

It's proven fact that more lean muscle mass equals better long term health. You get lean muscle mass by the traditional way: Lifting weights, lifting hard, doing the basics, and eating clean. Not by sitting on a bouncy ball while pulling a rubber band tied to a pole. Not by hopping sideways on a treadmill while holding a 2.1 pound dumbell overhead.

Theres a reason you don't see many really fit people working with personal trainers. They keep themselves fit because you don't need a PT to get fit or stay fit. But unfortunately, someone is convincing these folks that it's SO COMPLICATED that they must pay $$ month after month, for their 2 times a week session that isn't doing jack for them.

If I had a friend wanting to hire a PT, I'd recommend them to the OP who is disgruntled and ready to quit that job ANY DAY over the trendy personal trainer with a massive client list. If his list is so big, he must not be doing his damn job. If you cannot fire your personal trainer within 8 weeks, he's failing you.

OP, kudos for speaking the truth about the scam that is 90% of personal trainers these days. I understand hiring someone to rehab an injury or for caring for specific medical issues. But just to lose fat and get in shape? Screw PT's for that, 90% of them just want you to keep coming back. 8 weeks he should be fired because the client is now independently capable. Squat, deadlift, bench, row, sprint. Repeat. Harder each time.

And for any PT's out there who disagree with anything I said, I'll leave you with this. I'll show you two examples of the human body being whipped into shape, GREAT shape, in a very short time:

- College football camp
    - Military boot camp

What does 90% of the bullsh** personal training workouts these days have in common with those? Nothing.
    See, this is again the same type of attitude IMO. Yes, you can take anyone walking into a gym and tell them "eat healthy, exercise more" - and it really is that simple. However, what you are forgetting about is one of the major components of personal training - ACCOUNTABILITY.

I have the same attitude - for my clients to eventually not need me anymore. However, some people choose to pay for a service and to have that mentor and educator as a regular reminder of their health and well being. Some clients honestly need a year to two years of physical exercise and proper diet to reach their goals (whatever they may be). Some people just admit to themselves that they won't work out without having that person there to meet them. Is that wrong? To me, it is a large part of the reason why our industry exists in the first place.

That 40 year old housewife you guys are laughing about might be terrified to come into a gym environment and need someone there to make sure she steps in the door. The difference between the attitude of you guys and seemingly the rest of us is that we actually want to help that person and improve their life in some way. I don't care if you're an elite athlete or a 50 year old with low self esteem who is socially awkward and can't run a block - if you ask for help and truly need it, then my job is to help.

Oh, and for your example about boot camps, those guys are typically exercising several hours a day, every day. Which is totally unrealistic for 99.9% of the population. We can do the same movements, but there is a huge difference in volume when you are talking about someone getting in 3 hours of activity every day versus most gym goers and PT clients who get in 3 hours of activity every WEEK. Do I do the same movements? Sure - but the volume is unfortunately massively reduced. I'd love to have a client who would come in and work out 3 hours every day but it hasn't happened in twelve years.

As I have said already, yes there are tons of retards in our industry, and I think it should be regulated and a lot harder to get into. But it's not. My goal is to simply be the best that I can at it and help as many people as possible, no matter where they come from.

NorthTexasBB is just really nice. (+1000) NorthTexasBB is just really nice. (+1000) NorthTexasBB is just really nice. (+1000) NorthTexasBB is just really nice. (+1000) NorthTexasBB is just really nice. (+1000) NorthTexasBB is just really nice. (+1000) NorthTexasBB is just really nice. (+1000) NorthTexasBB is just really nice. (+1000) NorthTexasBB is just really nice. (+1000) NorthTexasBB is just really nice. (+1000) NorthTexasBB is just really nice. (+1000)
    OP just start up your own business instead of loathing the world and the career path you chose. Joe defranco started out in a 500sqft room and now has several thousand feet of training space and trains top athletes from all over the world. If all he did was complain about the status of the industry then he would probably still be in that 500sqft room. Take some initiative when it comes to your career.

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    As opposed to being a dumbarse?

and no, my complaint is that many PTs don't even realize that you could take any sedentary individual, do any random **** and get results.
    Unfortunately, that's not true. For example, a bunch of swiss ball exercises or endless hours on the treadmill are going to do almost nothing for the typical sedentary beginner.

And there are results, then there are results. As you say, it's not too complicated to improve the strength, cardio fitness and flexibility of the typical sedentary beginner. But they might have other issues which require some thought. Examples of clients of mine from the last week,
    • asthma
    • history of patella subluxation
    • recent shoulder surgery, acromioplasty - shaving the subacromial space to deal with supraspinatus impingement
    • unresolved patellar maltracking
    • increased kyphosis
    • unresolved AC dislocation where the client wanted exercises for his still well functioning legs and other arm
    • scoliosis
    None of those are remarkable, in that we might see them reasonably often, and they don't require a physiotherapy degree to prescribe exercises for. But they do nonetheless require careful thought, and working with the person to increase range of motion, etc.
    if you feel like you are doing a great thing by helping some 40 year old lose weight and increase her flexibility and shoulder ROM then don't get ahead of yourself because it's so easy to do.
    If it were easy to do, then you'd already be famous for doing it so well. And yet we've never heard of you.
    hurray for being a life coach and getting some sedentary fat **** off the couch for once
    Now you're insulting clients.

Say what you like to me and other trainers, but don't insult our clients. We respect them, respecting their capabilities, their goals, and their efforts. Plus they pay our wages. Show them respect, or f u c k off.
    Originally Posted by seabass08
    My opinion is PT's should enable clients to operate independently of the PT in the futuer. Take them through the workout, but convince them they don't need you. Convince them and build their confidence that they can do it themselves,
    This is the right approach with many clients, yes. And this is the way most PTs work with clients: the relationship exists to achieve particular goals (lose fat for wedding, get into sports team, etc) or to get the person started.

HitItHard has contempt for his clients, and thinks he has nothing to contribute to their welfare. They should not be giving him money.

Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post
    As opposed to being a dumbarse?

Unfortunately, that's not true. For example, a bunch of swiss ball exercises or endless hours on the treadmill are going to do almost nothing for the typical sedentary beginner.

And there are results, then there are results. As you say, it's not too complicated to improve the strength, cardio fitness and flexibility of the typical sedentary beginner. But they might have other issues which require some thought. Examples of clients of mine from the last week,
    • asthma
    • history of patella subluxation
    • recent shoulder surgery, acromioplasty - shaving the subacromial space to deal with supraspinatus impingement
    • unresolved patellar maltracking
    • increased kyphosis
    • unresolved AC dislocation where the client wanted exercises for his still well functioning legs and other arm
    • scoliosis
    None of those are remarkable, in that we might see them reasonably often, and they don't require a physiotherapy degree to prescribe exercises for. But they do nonetheless require careful thought, and working with the person to increase range of motion, etc.

If it were easy to do, then you'd already be famous for doing it so well. And yet we've never heard of you.

Now you're insulting clients.

Say what you like to me and other trainers, but don't insult our clients. We respect them, respecting their capabilities, their goals, and their efforts. Plus they pay our wages. Show them respect, or f u c k off.

This is the right approach with many clients, yes. And this is the way most PTs work with clients: the relationship exists to achieve particular goals (lose fat for wedding, get into sports team, etc) or to get the person started.

HitItHard has contempt for his clients, and thinks he has nothing to contribute to their welfare. They should not be giving him money.
    actually, it is true. you can take a sedentary individual and do pretty much anything and have them show improvement. i guess all my professors were lying to me and all the other students in all different concentrations. and the fact that you seem to be taking this so personally is making you look, just like me, like you have a chip on your shoulder. just because someone pays my wages doesn't mean i should train them in a way that makes them come back so they can keep paying me money.

and a lot of people keep repeating the fact that i seem to be wanting to train normal people as athletes. thats not true. for the 69th time. however, what strength coaches seem to understand, and a lot of people on this board don't, is that a lot of athletic movements in a training environment has its place in a normal pt environment as well. over/under hurdles in a dynamic warmup, front and back eagles, closed chain compound movements (should be the ultimate goal and of course some people won't be able to do them at first), a planned out routine including deloads or easy weeks, active rest, performance testing to give quantitative points to work off of, periodization to improve long term gains and avoid over training, planned overreaching, etc. people do these things because they work, not just because "oh hai its an athlete, ok lets do some back squats and sprints."
    I'm not insulting clients, I'm insulting typical personal trainers.

Slovakian_Pride is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Slovakian_Pride is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Slovakian_Pride is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Slovakian_Pride is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Slovakian_Pride is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Slovakian_Pride is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Slovakian_Pride is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Slovakian_Pride is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Slovakian_Pride is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Slovakian_Pride is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Slovakian_Pride is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Why don't you focus less on me and more on what the topic of this thread is about...

If you want to start a thread about whether or not 405 is impressive make one. I have a pretty fair idea that a lot of people on this board would agree it's nothing special.
    you know world class strongman do sets with 405 for 20 reps but they actually squat it ass to calves. You're probs like every other dumbass in the gym who bends their knees 2 inches and calls it a 'squat'. With a 405 for 18 reps squat i guess you'd be deadlifting around 700lbs at 190lbs right? Oh wait you probs can't even deadlift 495 since you don't squat correctly in the first place.