Page 36 of 252 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 86 136 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 7538
    MikeWines has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeWines has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeWines has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeWines has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeWines has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeWines has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeWines has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeWines has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeWines has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeWines has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeWines has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Crucifist View Post
    I think deloads are silly. If I feel run down, I take a day of rest and re-evaluate how I feel the next day. I repeat the process until the answer is "ready to do work."
    Hmm another interesting kind of auto regulation strategy. So that could be 1-7 days essentially until you feel up to a workout? What happens if you have 2 or more back to back workouts that are poor, then what?
    B.S. Exercise Science
    M.S. Applied Sport Science and Exercise Physiology

doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Looking around you notice we are all wired differently.

Ironwill; deloads every 4 weeks.
    Flex; monster btw. does not deload and only takes time off when he goes on vacation.
    Ride it like you just stole it.

MikeWines has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeWines has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeWines has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeWines has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeWines has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeWines has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeWines has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeWines has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeWines has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeWines has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeWines has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Lower - W1D2

Box Squat
    Barx10
    95x8
    135x5
    155x3
    185x5
    185x5
    185x5
    SS - Side Plank W/ Rotation: 3x5/side

Heavy Walkouts - 0:30seconds

RDL +5lbs
    135x8
    185x8
    205x8
    205x8
    205x8
    SS - Band Assisted Pistol Squats: 3x5/leg

A1. GHR +10lbs
    BW+15x12
    BW+25x10
    BW+25x10

A2. DB Walking Lunges
    25sx16steps
    25sx16steps
    25sx16steps

Occluded Leg Extensions
    4setsx25,15,15,15

Thoughts - MW: 171.2
    -Bumped weight back on squats after having a convo with Dean Somerset on ******** last night regarding tripod foot and some SMR techniques:

So, after warming up and getting to 185, I just played it by feel - if it went up easy then I'd make it a warm up set and just keep right on moving up but once I hit the first rep, I just decided to keep it there b/c it was challenging but allowed me to focus on movement quality, not quantity. I wanted to maintain that tripod foot and a neutral spine throughout the entirety of the movement and using my glutes to finish rather than letting myself hang out in anterior pelvic tilt which happens sometimes when I get tired. By the end of the session, my glutes were pumped but my low back still felt great so I felt that it was a very productive session. In the end, the weight on the bar is important but stimulating and working the intended is what will always lead to long term progression and injury prevention.

Daily Reads
    I liked this article so much that I just felt the need to link it so that more would see it, quality post by Greg Robins from Cressey Performance > http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2013/11/19/live/ -
    Originally Posted by Greg Robins
    “If everybody was satisfied with himself there would be no heroes.” – Mark Twain

I need to confess something, for a long time, I held a double standard – but I’m seeing things differently in the past few years.

It aggravates me when people base their live’s on what their life means to other people.

I too found myself concerned with gaining acceptance and approval. All to often I measured my progress by comparing myself to others, and in a sense idolizing others. However, my successes and failures did not affect these people; they only affected me.

Furthermore, my picture of success was skewed. It was not drawn by me, but in the reflection of what others had done or were doing. I could not give myself a sense of worthiness, I needed it to come from the mouth or actions of another. In acting this way I was never fulfilled. I was constantly moving towards something that did not exist. As a result my many successes had no positive impact on my life, or my self esteem.

Stop looking for approval from others.

If you need to show yourself off to garner attention, you’re weak. Instead, impress yourself, and let others be drawn to your energy and confidence.

If you need to perform lifts at the gym in front of people who will tell you how strong you are, you’re weak. Train for you, and you only. If you’re an athlete train to support the team, and set an example.

If you can’t complete a task to the highest caliber knowing that only you will know the work and time that was put towards it, you’re weak. The spotlight will shine on those who go unnoticed long enough that their craft becomes a consistent example of excellence.

“Hero-worship in the sense of expressing our unbound admiration is one thing. To obey the hero is a totally different kind of worship. There is nothing wrong in the former while the latter is no doubt a most pernicious thing. The former is man’s respect for which is noble and of which the great men are only an embodiment. The latter is the serf’s fealty to his lord. The former is consistent with respect, but the latter is a sign of debasement. The former does not take away one’s intelligence to think and independence to act. The latter makes one a perfect fool…” – B.R. Ambedkar

I’ve learned this lesson, and I am continually defining who I am. I no longer strive to be like anybody else. I only push to be the strongest version of myself. I respect many individuals, and yet I do not concern myself with trying to mirror their lives or their accomplishments.

How many times have you been asked who your heroes are? You probably scanned through a list of people in your head who have accomplished great things, and who overcame great obstacles.

Why aren’t you on that list? Have you not achieved anything or overcome any adversity? Do you not embody the same qualities of character that these men and women do? If it’s the latter then make the change.

Respect an individual but never try to be them. If you measure your successes against someone elses you are weak. Your constant habit of comparison is stealing from you the ability to embrace who you are, and who you can become.

If you cannot celebrate your own victories, you are weak. You take home small victories every damn day, acknowledge them and you will build upon them.

If you cannot recognize your own heroism, you are weak. Be your own hero.

Control that which you can control. Your character, your choices, and your actions. Take pride in everything that you do. Accept yourself, impress yourself, and continually work on becoming the strongest version of yourself.

Train with a purpose. Live with a purpose.

Originally Posted by doughnutgut View Post
    Looking around you notice we are all wired differently.

Ironwill; deloads every 4 weeks.
    Flex; monster btw. does not deload and only takes time off when he goes on vacation.
    Yeah I used to deload more often when I was on Wendler but it just didn't seem to make sense to me to deload so often when I felt that I didn't even need to, you know? I would imagine that Flex has built up an ability to handle a high workload given years of training.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by MikeWines; 11-19-2013 at 12:44 PM.
    B.S. Exercise Science

usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by MikeWines View Post
    Usually once every 4-8 weeks depending upon how my body feels and other feedback (sleep, libido, mood, energy, motivation, focus, etc). I have noticed that with this deload over the past 3-4 days though that my sleep has been better than ever, hormones are on the rise, mood is up and I'm joking around and laughing alot more, I'm feeling refreshed when I wake up, I no longer get sluggish and lethargic after high carb meals like before, so I would say that I was definitely deep in the recovery hole for me at least. I didn't realize it at the time b/c I had my foot on the gas 100% but now that I've back off for the last couple of days I'm feeling the "rebound effect" of being on the upswing and not being chronically stressed with sky high cortisol and inflammation and I'm feeling much better. Gonna keep deloading tomorrow and maybe even tuesday too if I feel less than 100%.
    Do you think the mood/cortisol was due to a lack of deload? What do you do about macros/nutrition during the deload?
    My path to contest prep:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160935491&page=1

Originally Posted by usawinston View Post
    Do you think the mood/cortisol was due to a lack of deload? What do you do about macros/nutrition during the deload?
    Not sure to be honest...My life isn't incredibly stressful and I try to prioritize my sleep and recovery but the body is an amazing and we certainly don't know everything about it or individual differences so it could be. But I know from what I felt, that my mood and alertness seemed to improve (however this could also be to some changes that I've made in my macros and timing lately. Inb4mealtimingisirrelevant.)

For macros, I just simply decreased slightly. I was eating roughly 3550-3600T/3150-3200R and just dropped down to 3300T/3000R. My weight remained stable for the week and I was still eating quite a bit of food comparatively.

Unrelated...
    Good listen for the day, been listening to John Meadows, Brad Schoenfeld, Jacob Wilson, and Ben Pakulski all morning: http://www.benpakulski.com/003-dr-ja...-john-meadows/
    Last edited by MikeWines; 11-20-2013 at 10:23 AM.
    B.S. Exercise Science

CNS feels toasted today. Did some foam rolling, rotator cuff work (wall slides, posterior cuff activation, push up pluses), calf work (In/eversion, slow eccentrics, tib anterior work), and then took a 10 minute contrast shower but I still feel kind of worn out. Definitely gonna try to hit the sack but about 9:45 tonight or so but I think it must have been those heavy walkouts yesterday. Never had 315 on my back before so my CNS has to adapt. However, my glutes are incredibly sore and it makes walking a bit tough. Mission accomplished. fistpump.gif
    B.S. Exercise Science

ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    CNS feels toasted today. Did some foam rolling, rotator cuff work (wall slides, posterior cuff activation, push up pluses), calf work (In/eversion, slow eccentrics, tib anterior work), and then took a 10 minute contrast shower but I still feel kind of worn out. Definitely gonna try to hit the sack but about 9:45 tonight or so but I think it must have been those heavy walkouts yesterday. Never had 315 on my back before so my CNS has to adapt. However, my glutes are incredibly sore and it makes walking a bit tough. Mission accomplished. fistpump.gif
    dumb question but . . . What are walkouts? Do you load the bar like you're going to squat and just walk backward and then forward and unrack it? Might try them sometime!
    MMDELAD

ACE Certified Personal Trainer since 2007.

Originally Posted by ELLSKIES View Post
    dumb question but . . . What are walkouts? Do you load the bar like you're going to squat and just walk backward and then forward and unrack it? Might try them sometime!
    Load up a weight that you couldn't actually squat but walk it out of the rack and hold it for a designated amount of time. This also generates what is known as post activation potentiation:
    1. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16026172
    2. http://bretcontreras.com/post-activa...d-application/
    which in turn allows for higher motor unit recruitment and neural adaptations.

Also, I feel that it also helps mentally to know what the weight is actually gonna feel like on your back before you squat down with it. All the best PLers in the world will tell you that before they actually pulled their PR on deadlifts, they pulled it from blocks first. Kind of the same idea.
    B.S. Exercise Science

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    Rest up Mdub

And rolling FTW

I had been neglecting a little recently and I spent 30mins yesterday rolling on some tennis balls and my legs felt fantastic today
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Does Not Count Macros Crew

"Think in terms of limits and the result is limitation
    Think in terms of progress and the result is progression"

my day:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156294333

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Load up a weight that you couldn't actually squat but walk it out of the rack and hold it for a designated amount of time. This also generates what is known as post activation potentiation:
    1. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16026172
    2. http://bretcontreras.com/post-activa...d-application/
    which in turn allows for higher motor unit recruitment and neural adaptations.

Also, I feel that it also helps mentally to know what the weight is actually gonna feel like on your back before you squat down with it. All the best PLers in the world will tell you that before they actually pulled their PR on deadlifts, they pulled it from blocks first. Kind of the same idea.
    interdasting. I'll check out those links; thanks!
    MMDELAD

ACE Certified Personal Trainer since 2007.

Pull - W1D3

Hammer Grip Chinups +2reps
    BW+12.5x6
    BW+12.5x6
    BW+12.5x6
    BWx8
    BWx6
    BWx6

A1. DB Row
    70sx10
    70sx10
    70sx10 + "run the rack" drop set (10lbs per drop x 4 drops)

A2. Hyperextensions +25lbs
    BW+25x15
    BW+25x15
    BW+25x15

B1. CS Row
    55x10
    45x10
    45x10 + drop set

B2. CS Rear Delt Fly
    10sx10
    10sx10
    10sx10 + isohold

Farmer's Walk
    45sxlengthofgym/side (0:45sec trip) - 3 sets

Occluded W-Bar Wide Grip Cable Curl
    4setsx25,10,10,20 (25-30sec rest b/w sets)

Thoughts - MW: 172.0
    -Really good workout. Little tired here and there but overall I was very focused on MMC. Been listening to a great deal of John Meadows podcasts lately and getting LOTS of good ideas on different techniques on exercises and activation, nutrient timing, exercise programming, and enhancing recovery. I think for alot of my workouts lately, I've been so focused on increasing the weight and making progress on paper that I've lost connection with actually feeling my muscles working and appreciating that the weight is merely a tool - something that is used to stimulate a muscle and cause it grow, not the be all end all. Instead of just focusing on getting the weights up any way I can, I need to be more focused on allowing my body to adapt and then increasing the weight. I have all of the right parameters in line (progressive overload, enough cals, proper recovery, etc), I've just got to let them work over time. I'm gonna approach all of my workouts like this from now on - no focus on the weight, just what feels heavy to me THAT day and what efficiently stimulates my muscles and go from there.

-Also, I've been playing around with some of the ideas from the metabolic flexibility podcast that I listened to recently and I seem to be reacting quite well to the protocol. Haven't been having any carbs with breakfast, just high protein, fat, and veggies and I've noticed that my mental clarity and acuity in class has been much higher where before I would have crashed about an hour or two after a big oats breakfast. I've only been using it for about a week but it seems to be helpful.

Cinnamon Roll Proats with Cheerios and Blueberries

Originally Posted by determined4000 View Post
    Rest up Mdub

And rolling FTW

I had been neglecting a little recently and I spent 30mins yesterday rolling on some tennis balls and my legs felt fantastic today
    Foam rolled twice yesterday, took a contrast shower and glutes are STILL crazy sore today. Made hyperextensions and hip thrusts painful.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by MikeWines; 11-21-2013 at 12:45 PM.
    B.S. Exercise Science

doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I think for alot of my workouts lately, I've been so focused on increasing the weight and making progress on paper that I've lost connection with actually feeling my muscles working and appreciating that the weight is mere a tool - something that is used to stimulate a muscle and cause it grow.
    This is done by many.. too MANY lifters.

Instead of just focusing on getting the weights up any way I can, I need to be more focused on allowing my body to adapt and then increasing the weight.
    We riding the same train here Mike? I more or less quoted this today in my training cliffs.

I have all of the right parameters in line, I've just got to let them work. I'm gonna approach all of my workouts like this from now on - no focus on the weight, just what feels heavy to me THAT day and what efficiently stimulates my muscles.
    Focusing on the groups of muscles directly is a sure fire winner.
    I read not so long ago in Arnold encyclopaedia regarding his thoughts on each rep performed. Imagining the actual muscle activation and dialling in on the area being targeted throughout the ROM.

Really great work man.. Good session today also.

chichinnn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chichinnn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chichinnn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chichinnn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chichinnn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chichinnn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chichinnn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chichinnn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chichinnn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chichinnn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chichinnn is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yeah, the weight gain has been good but I actually was just looking at my bodyspace and realized that I set a goal back in April of this year to be 175 by January 1st of 2014 so I'm going to try and hit close to that in the next 6 weeks - only about 0.5lb week basically...I've got to get more into this style of auto regulated training where I decide how I feel after the main lift. For the last 5 weeks I was essentially trying to hit a 5lb PR every day on the main lift and then bump every single accessory work exercise by 5lbs or 2 reps. I mean I made some solid progress but I think your style of training will lead to more long term progress as I learn to listen to my body and back off when I need it. I also was starting to experience what I felt was a bit of reactive/postprandial hypoglycemia (http://muscle-primer.com/reactivepos...and-treatment/) after my post workout meal but that has seemed to fade over the deload as I get less stressed and sleep some more.
    Yeah I have the same urge to increase weight every workout, and if I'm capable, I will. But sometimes I have to tell myself to lower the weight (mainly with my accessories) and that I will have many more opportunities to push this weight, just not today. Slow progress is better than no progress.

Curious on why you box squat. Using them as a depth tool?
    LOG: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144267021&p=870915031#post870915031

i like cats

Crucifist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Crucifist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Crucifist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Crucifist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Crucifist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Crucifist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Crucifist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Crucifist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Crucifist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Crucifist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Crucifist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hmm another interesting kind of auto regulation strategy. So that could be 1-7 days essentially until you feel up to a workout? What happens if you have 2 or more back to back workouts that are poor, then what?
    Depends on the circumstances. Usually my breaks are on the heels of such a situation (I don't necessarily throw in the towel after a single bum workout because those happen). If I notice a poor trend developing in spite of me doing everything right, I know I need a break. To me, this usually means the same workout feeling like crap 3-4 times in a row (re: 3 or more consecutive deadlift days feel like death or some such). In all honesty, I cannot recall ever feeling like I needed more than four days provided I cut out any intensive training, eat properly, and get plenty of sleep. Barring serious illness, of course.
    "Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius."

"The training is nothing. The will is everything."

"What you see in the mirror is not what you will see forever. That goes for what you like and what you don't. Everything is constantly changing" - Rodzilla

Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158783463&p=1175110853#post1175110853

Originally Posted by doughnutgut View Post
    This is done by many.. too MANY lifters.
    We riding the same train here Mike? I more or less quoted this today in my training cliffs.
    Focusing on the groups of muscles directly is a sure fire winner.
    I read not so long ago in Arnold encyclopaedia regarding his thoughts on each rep performed. Imagining the actual muscle activation and dialling in on the area being targeted throughout the ROM.

Really great work man.. Good session today also.
    Yeah listening to the Meadow's podcast lately has me thinking about a lot of new and different things which I haven't considered as much in the past. I think it's important to remain open to any type of change and not become too rigid in your mindset. If you never adapt and change your thinking, you could potentially miss out a more optimal way of doing things. MMC has been one that I've been working on hard to develop lately. Mr. Meadows was talking about a specific form of rehab known as MAT (Muscle activation technique) which is used to get underdeveloped and "shut off" muscles firing again and he spoke with an NFL linebacker who was having it done and had over 100 muscles that weren't firing, AT ALL. Just goes to show you like the Brian Carroll case study I posted a few days, you can lift the weights and "get the job done" but if you're not feeling the intended muscles working (aka your pulling too much with your biceps, pushing with you triceps and delts over pecs, or doing curls and getting massive amounts of shoulder flexion) then what's the point? No, it's not all about "chasing the pump" all the time but there is indeed an element of intracellular swelling that is positively correlated with hypertrophy.

Originally Posted by chichinnn View Post
    Yeah I have the same urge to increase weight every workout, and if I'm capable, I will. But sometimes I have to tell myself to lower the weight (mainly with my accessories) and that I will have many more opportunities to push this weight, just not today. Slow progress is better than no progress.

Curious on why you box squat. Using them as a depth tool?
    Exactly, gonna focus my accessory work more on MMC and keep the heavy compounds first.

Given my limited experience with weight training in high school, I was never exposed to squats so when I started doing them this summer, I develop SI joint problems pretty quickly due to some imbalances and form issues so I'm using box squats for the time being as a teaching tool (same reason I used Goblet squats a few cycles back until I got up to 100s). I need to learn how to create tension and torque in my glutes during the squatting movement and concentrating on that is hard enough, let alone having to think about going to depth. So, while I'm still learning the movement from a neuromuscular standpoint, I'm using box squats. Cressey, Robertson, and many others use them with all their athletes b/c many of them "know how to squat" but in actuality, they've learned how to compensate in order to get the weight from point A to point B. That's why I'm trying to go about it the right way and get brutally strong with the box squat. That way, once the box comes out of the hole, it'll be second nature to sit to parallel and then reverse back up using the tension generated in my posterior chain.

Depends on the circumstances. Usually my breaks are on the heels of such a situation (I don't necessarily throw in the towel after a single bum workout because those happen). If I notice a poor trend developing in spite of me doing everything right, I know I need a break. To me, this usually means the same workout feeling like crap 3-4 times in a row (re: 3 or more consecutive deadlift days feel like death or some such). In all honesty, I cannot recall ever feeling like I needed more than four days provided I cut out any intensive training, eat properly, and get plenty of sleep. Barring serious illness, of course.
    So you don't really go with 'X' # of lifting days per week, just by how your body feels based on recovery?
    B.S. Exercise Science

Crucifist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Crucifist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Crucifist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Crucifist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Crucifist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Crucifist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Crucifist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Crucifist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Crucifist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Crucifist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Crucifist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    So you don't really go with 'X' # of lifting days per week, just by how your body feels based on recovery?
    Na, I go for 3, 4, etc., but if I'm on day three of a four day split and really not feeling the workout, I push it back until I'm ready for it. So on a four day split I'll probably get four days a week nine times out of ten, but there might be an off week here or there where I only get three or even two workouts in because my body is telling me I need to take a step back.

I never shoehorn myself into Monday is "Upper A" , Tuesday "Lower A", Thursday "Upper B," and Friday "Lower B" or anything like that. Maybe my week is starting with the back end of my split because I had to take some unplanned rest days last week. No big deal. I'll do "Upper B, Lower B, Rest, Upper A, Lower A" and continue on like nothing happened. Make sense?

Right now I have one scheduled rest day a week. Every other day I feel up to it, I am in the gym (current split is set up that way). So...A,B,C,Off,A,D,C,Off,A,B,C,etc...
    However, sometimes I'm chugging along and do A,B, then wake up the morning of C and realize "No. No way. This is not the day for that. I'll do it tomorrow and pretend nothing happened." And I do just that.
    Last edited by Crucifist; 11-22-2013 at 05:59 AM.
    "Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius."

"What you see in the mirror is not what you will see forever. That goes for what you like and what you don't. Everything is constantly changing" - Rodzilla

Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158783463&p=1175110853#post1175110853

^Maybe it's time you rethought how you train your abs and WHY...

Push - W4D4

DB Bench
    30sx12
    40sx10
    50sx8
    65sx8
    65sx8
    65sx8/55sx8/45sx7
    SS - Forearm Wall Slide w/Shrug - 3x10

A1. Dips
    BW+25x12
    BW+25x12
    BW+25x12

A2. DB 6 Ways
    10sx10
    10sx10
    10sx10

B1. Half Kneeling Landmine Press - Plate Weight
    15x10
    17.5x10
    17.5x10

B2. Stretch Pushup
    BWx15
    BWx12
    BWx9

C1. HS Dip
    1ppsx25
    1ppsx25
    1ppsx25

Stir The Pot
    3setsx5rotationseachway (10 total/set)

Thoughts - MW: 173.2 (Weight is playing mind games lately. haha Had an earlier weigh in than yesterday so that's prob. all.)
    -Could I have thrown up the 70s or maybe the 75s for DB bench? Sure, but what's the point if my chest shuts down, I arch my back excessively, and press out of my arch simply to get the reps? I want to emphasize movement efficiency, not just merely completion. Pretty solid pump overall, a little fatigued due to staying up late last night doing some homework but I just went in this morning with the same mind set as yesterday: whatever feels heavy in the intended rep range today and stimulates the specific muscle group is what is needed. > Trying to work on auto-regulation a bit more and learning to listen to be my body rather than being so closed minded and stubborn.

Tip of the Day:
    If you're pressed for time throughout the day and can't find a spot when you can squeeze in some foam rolling, try rolling the bottom of your foot with a lacrosse ball or tennis ball while you're brushing your teeth each night. It'll only take 3-5minutes and you'll knock out two birds with one stone. Not to mention, you'll wake up the next day and your plantar fascia will be feeling great.

Na, I go for 3, 4, etc., but if I'm on day three of a four day split and really not feeling the workout, I push it back until I'm ready for it. So on a four day split I'll probably get four days a week nine times out of ten, but there might be an off week here or there where I only get three or even two workouts in because my body is telling me I need to take a step back.

I never shoehorn myself into Monday is "Upper A" , Tuesday "Lower A", Thursday "Upper B," and Friday "Lower B" or anything like that. Maybe my week is starting with the back end of my split because I had to take some unplanned rest days last week. No big deal. I'll do "Upper B, Lower B, Rest, Upper A, Lower A" and continue on like nothing happened. Make sense?

Right now I have one scheduled rest day a week. Every other day I feel up to it, I am in the gym (current split is set up that way). So...A,B,C,Off,A,D,C,Off,A,B,C,etc...
    However, sometimes I'm chugging along and do A,B, then wake up the morning of C and realize "No. No way. This is not the day for that. I'll do it tomorrow and pretend nothing happened." And I do just that.
    I definitely need to get better at this, I get locked into the whole "monday is upper, tuesday is lower, blah, blah, blah" crap and I think sometimes it hurts me in the long run b/c then I'm not adequately recovered. Usually I take sundays completely off so I think sometimes I try to stick to that schedule b/c I know it'll put my DL day on saturday when I have extra time and can take longer. But I feel like I'm slowly getting better at regulating and listening to what my body needs, vs. what my head tells me sometimes.
    B.S. Exercise Science

Tip of the Day:
    If you're pressed for time throughout the day and can't find a spot when you can squeeze in some foam rolling, try rolling the bottom of your foot with a lacrosse ball or tennis ball while you're brushing your teeth each night. It'll only take 3-5minutes and you'll knock out two birds with one stone. Not to mention, you'll wake up the next day and your plantar fascia will be feeling great.

I definitely need to get better at this, I get locked into the whole "monday is upper, tuesday is lower, blah, blah, blah" crap and I think sometimes it hurts me in the long run b/c then I'm not adequately recovered. Usually I take sundays completely off so I think sometimes I try to stick to that schedule b/c I know it'll put my DL day on saturday when I have extra time and can take longer. But I feel like I'm slowly getting better at regulating and listening to what my body needs, vs. what my head tells me sometimes.
    I should really be doing that first bit due help with my flat feet. Some of it is not correctable, but every little bit...

I feel you on wanting to have the Deadlift day on a weekend. I usually like to have a little extra time to stretch and warm up to make sure I don't have any form issues or tight muscles/joints that might "pop" into place mid-lift. Had that happen once and it was NOT good.

Having said that much, here is how I look at it. Could I ignore my feelings and push through the workout? Yes. Is it possible that the workout might turn out all right? Sure. But what if it doesn't? Isn't it worth it to wait an extra day or two and throw off my "perfect" schedule just a bit if there's a little voice in the back of my head telling me I'd be able to attack the situation much more effectively if I just give it one more day?

The real trick is fine-tuning the process so that you don't confuse laziness, procrastination, etc. for legitimate cues from your body. Since I lift first thing in the morning (quite early as well), I have to be especially considerate of this. Am I telling myself to push my workout back because the warm bed is just soooo much more appealing than scraping frost off my car so I can drive to the gym, or is my body trying to tell me that my CNS/Muscles/Joints/Whatever are over-taxed and I need to have a bit of extra sleep/rest if I want to perform to my potential during my next session?

Frankly, there have even been times where I've gotten up, driven all the way to the gym, done my foam rolling and mobility and worked up to 90% on my warmup sets for the deadlift only to realize...no. This is not that day. Going further than this would be a poor decision. That's probably the most difficult scenario, but it can be a good starting point. Take your warmups slow and steady, bordering on leisurely. Reflect after each set as you move up to the "work weight" and pay very careful attention to how each one felt. If the weight feels unusually heavy, you feel like something's just not "firing" right no matter what you do, and so on...well. Usually that is a red flag.

I'm going to PM you a little something I got from JC Deen's newsletter just this morning, ironically. It deals with this very subject and is something to keep in mind.

Edit: Crap. Not letting me send it for some reason.
    Last edited by Crucifist; 11-22-2013 at 10:56 AM.

I should really be doing that first bit due help with my flat feet. Some of it is not correctable, but every little bit...

I feel you on wanting to have the Deadlift day on a weekend. I usually like to have a little extra time to stretch and warm up to make sure I don't have any form issues or tight muscles/joints that might "pop" into place mid-lift. Had that happen once and it was NOT good.

Having said that much, here is how I look at it. Could I ignore my feelings and push through the workout? Yes. Is it possible that the workout might turn out all right? Sure. But what if it doesn't? Isn't it worth it to wait an extra day or two and throw off my "perfect" schedule just a bit if there's a little voice in the back of my head telling me I'd be able to attack the situation much more effectively if I just give it one more day?

The real trick is fine-tuning the process so that you don't confuse laziness, procrastination, etc. for legitimate cues from your body. Since I lift first thing in the morning (quite early as well), I have to be especially considerate of this. Am I telling myself to push my workout back because the warm bed is just soooo much more appealing than scraping frost off my car so I can drive to the gym, or is my body trying to tell me that my CNS/Muscles/Joints/Whatever are over-taxed and I need to have a bit of extra sleep/rest if I want to perform to my potential during my next session?

Frankly, there have even been times where I've gotten up, driven all the way to the gym, done my foam rolling and mobility and worked up to 90% on my warmup sets for the deadlift only to realize...no. This is not that day. Going further than this would be a poor decision. That's probably the most difficult scenario, but it can be a good starting point. Take your warmups slow and steady, bordering on leisurely. Reflect after each set as you move up to the "work weight" and pay very careful attention to how each one felt. If the weight feels unusually heavy, you feel like something's just not "firing" right no matter what you do, and so on...well. Usually that is a red flag.

I'm going to PM you a little something I got from JC Deen's newsletter just this morning, ironically. It deals with this very subject and is something to keep in mind.

Edit: Crap. Not letting me send it for some reason.
    Bingo^. And that's one thing that I really need to work on. Not focusing on just putting in the work and thinking that as long as I'm there banging out reps that things are just going to magically improve. That's why mental focus, muscle activation, and a combination of the two are what it truly required in order to progress. I really enjoy JC's work so I would appreciate it if you could send that to me.

Just checked my inbox, it's not full...

In regards to your feet issues, I think you would find some of Ryan Brown's work from Darkside S&C helpful. Here's a few videos and a link to an article all in regards to feet (There's so much more to them in terms of kinesthetic awareness and affects on the rest the body than people want to realize):

http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/...2/podophillia/

B.S. Exercise Science

Cressey dropping some knowledge bombs today on squat set up. I WILL intern underneath this man one day...
    B.S. Exercise Science

Bronzzi is just really nice. (+1000) Bronzzi is just really nice. (+1000) Bronzzi is just really nice. (+1000) Bronzzi is just really nice. (+1000) Bronzzi is just really nice. (+1000) Bronzzi is just really nice. (+1000) Bronzzi is just really nice. (+1000) Bronzzi is just really nice. (+1000) Bronzzi is just really nice. (+1000) Bronzzi is just really nice. (+1000) Bronzzi is just really nice. (+1000)
    Nice to see dropsets on Db presses!! My favorites! Trying to keep them away now though, trying to go with goal sets/reps for a while
    How did you find them? Gives mad pump!
    My BULK: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156540373

It is definitely the copy/paste process somehow. Won't let me post it here either. It keeps timing out. If you PM me an e-mail address I'll get you a copy.

Originally Posted by Bronzzi View Post
    Nice to see dropsets on Db presses!! My favorites! Trying to keep them away now though, trying to go with goal sets/reps for a while
    How did you find them? Gives mad pump!
    I've been playing around with them a bit lately. Really liked the one I hit yesterday for DB rows since I could really feel my lats contracting hard the whole time and I actually worked up a good sweat. However, the one today I had to be careful with b/c it's very easy once you're fatigued to press out of you arch or OVERarch when you're trying to get more reps and thus feed more into my anterior pelvic tilt so I had to be careful with it.

Also, with drop sets I've got to learn to focus more on the muscle and less on the reps. That style of set is supposed to be until the muscle gives out, not until you can't get any more reps with terrible form. So i've got to make sure that I'm focused enough to realize when my chest stops pushing and the delts and tris take over. Some folks might argue differently but at that point your simply debating goals in relation to training style, not the effectiveness of the exercise.

It is definitely the copy/paste process somehow. Won't let me post it here either. It keeps timing out. If you PM me an e-mail address I'll get you a copy.
    Maybe he does that so that people who are subscribed can't copy his stuff and send it to those who aren't? In order to increase subscribers through his mailing service. I got your test PM btw, did it still not work?
    B.S. Exercise Science

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    I am with Crucifist
    I alternate push pull, push, pull
    Doesnt matter the day or when/ how often I rest
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

I am with Crucifist
    I alternate push pull, push, pull
    Doesnt matter the day or when/ how often I rest
    I need to get more into this adaptive rather than structured mindset.

However after today, I've found the GOAT recovery strategy. (Order is important too, make sure to follow exactly.)
    Step 1. Foam roll 20 minutes - nice and slow, contract/relax techniques, etc.
    Step 2. Consume excessively large proat bowls due to going catabolic while foam rolling. Srs.
    Step 3. Nap until refreshed.
    Step 4. DOMINATE LIFE.
    Step 5. Repeat.
    B.S. Exercise Science

^If we could fit a back massage in there too

But seriously, I think all people regardless of whether they lift or not would greatly benefit from rolling/stretching and the like.
    Founder of MMDELAD

However after today, I've found the GOAT recovery strategy. (Order is important too, make sure to follow exactly.)
    Step 2. Consume excessively large proat bowls due to going catabolic while foam rolling. Srs.
    Step 4. DOMINATE LIFE.
    Step 5. Repeat.
    It’s 3:53 AM, and I’m sitting across my friend Roger Lawson (roglawfitness.com, in case you didn’t know), and we’re wide awake.

So wide awake that we just got done walking the streets in search of a burger and a shake to satisfy our western palate at this odd hour.

Why are we wide awake? Simple.

We’re in a different time zone (complete opposite)
    Multiple flights (one that was 14 hours long)
    Radically new environment and atmosphere

I was one of those people that never believed in jet-lag before, but now I know just how real it is.

It sucks.

Lots of time spent in a tiny plane seat, coupled with an alien environment, artificial light, and where the idea of getting any sliver of REM sleep is nothing but a dream.

We thought we had this thing beat due to our waking at 6am without an alarm on our first day in the new place, but we were dead wrong.

A day full of exploration, making new friends, and eating tasty food left us completely wiped out.

So wiped out that we all walked back to our room to “chill out” for a few hours before going out again.

That ‘chilling out” took us straight to our beds for a deep sleep (not a nap) that lasted about 6-7 hours.

Next thing we know, it’s 2 am, and we’re waking up muttering “how in the heck did we sleep this long?”

In hindsight, it was a zombie-like waltz back to the room. Our bodies were calling for what it needed most - deep, restful sleep.

[queue the R. Kelly song 'Bump N' Grind' lyrics "my mind's telling me no... but my body, my body's telling me yes"]

It’s why we’re so dang awake right now.

In fact, as I look over at Rog right now, he seems focused, clear, and like a man on a fitness-writing mission.

Me?

I’m wide-eyed too.

So here’s the takeaway.

Our bodies are smart. So smart, in fact, they play tricks on us to get what they truly need.

It’s like a selfish lover who manipulates us ten times over to get their way. Constantly pushing and prodding until we give in as we wake up later full of questions and concern as to how we just got ‘took’ in the heat of the moment.

Okay, maybe I’m pushing the analogy a bit far, but I hope you get the point.

Our bodies, most of the time, are pretty good at sending the right signals, if you’re paying attention.

If you ignore them, it’ll eventually get what it wants, and then some.

Listen to your body the next time you’re feeling run down, tired, or hungry. Maybe it’s time to take that nap, or skip the gym, or eat that piece of cheesecake if you’ve been abstaining for the last 12 weeks.

On the flip side, if you’re feeling like an extra few work sets or an extra training day will suit you well, kick up the volume. If it’s serving you, take action, and wait on your body to give you feedback.

Assess and adjust from there.

Until next time, I’m aiming to fix my sleeping patterns, find a good source of dairy protein, and work on my Tai Chi in my new MC Hammer pants.

Yours truly in swollen glutes, e-hugs, and probably a few more sleepless nights.

^If we could fit a back massage in there too

But seriously, I think all people regardless of whether they lift or not would greatly benefit from rolling/stretching and the like.
    I've never had a massage or any kind but I would love to get some ART or Graston technique done on myself or even a full body massage by someone who's skilled in it.

I got my dad onto foam rolling now and my mom was doing it for a little while (she's quite kyphotic due to a teaching job and spending a good deal of time hunched over a computer) but usually both of their foam rolling efforts are short lived until I come home and remind them to start again. Haha However sometimes I'll get the occasional text telling me how good foam rolling makes them feel and I try to remind them that they could feel that way every day if they would take 10-15 minutes and roll out. It has saved me a WORLD OF HURT btw squats and deadlifts. I can't even imagine what it would be like without it. FOAM ROLLING SAVED MY LIFE...Srs.

It’s 3:53 AM, and I’m sitting across my friend Roger Lawson (roglawfitness.com, in case you didn’t know), and we’re wide awake.

So wide awake that we just got done walking the streets in search of a burger and a shake to satisfy our western palate at this odd hour.

Why are we wide awake? Simple.

We’re in a different time zone (complete opposite)
    Multiple flights (one that was 14 hours long)
    Radically new environment and atmosphere

I was one of those people that never believed in jet-lag before, but now I know just how real it is.

It sucks.

Lots of time spent in a tiny plane seat, coupled with an alien environment, artificial light, and where the idea of getting any sliver of REM sleep is nothing but a dream.

We thought we had this thing beat due to our waking at 6am without an alarm on our first day in the new place, but we were dead wrong.

A day full of exploration, making new friends, and eating tasty food left us completely wiped out.

So wiped out that we all walked back to our room to “chill out” for a few hours before going out again.

That ‘chilling out” took us straight to our beds for a deep sleep (not a nap) that lasted about 6-7 hours.

Next thing we know, it’s 2 am, and we’re waking up muttering “how in the heck did we sleep this long?”

In hindsight, it was a zombie-like waltz back to the room. Our bodies were calling for what it needed most - deep, restful sleep.

[queue the R. Kelly song 'Bump N' Grind' lyrics "my mind's telling me no... but my body, my body's telling me yes"]

It’s why we’re so dang awake right now.

In fact, as I look over at Rog right now, he seems focused, clear, and like a man on a fitness-writing mission.

Me?

I’m wide-eyed too.

So here’s the takeaway.

Our bodies are smart. So smart, in fact, they play tricks on us to get what they truly need.

It’s like a selfish lover who manipulates us ten times over to get their way. Constantly pushing and prodding until we give in as we wake up later full of questions and concern as to how we just got ‘took’ in the heat of the moment.

Okay, maybe I’m pushing the analogy a bit far, but I hope you get the point.

Our bodies, most of the time, are pretty good at sending the right signals, if you’re paying attention.

If you ignore them, it’ll eventually get what it wants, and then some.

Listen to your body the next time you’re feeling run down, tired, or hungry. Maybe it’s time to take that nap, or skip the gym, or eat that piece of cheesecake if you’ve been abstaining for the last 12 weeks.

On the flip side, if you’re feeling like an extra few work sets or an extra training day will suit you well, kick up the volume. If it’s serving you, take action, and wait on your body to give you feedback.

Assess and adjust from there.

Until next time, I’m aiming to fix my sleeping patterns, find a good source of dairy protein, and work on my Tai Chi in my new MC Hammer pants.

Yours truly in swollen glutes, e-hugs, and probably a few more sleepless nights.
    GREAT word Crucifist, I'll have to get your when I'm off spread. Like I said before, this is definitely a quality that I need to work on developing. Thanks for posting that, JC is one of my favorite writers to read.

Was looking around on my mac and found these posted on my sticky notes from my first log on this site, figured I'd throw them up:
    [I]"Being strong" is about having the courage to realize and change what you're doing to your body and mind right now.
    Being strong is not about how much you bench, how much you deadlift, how much you squat, how big your biceps are, or any of that. Being strong is having the heart to act on something that you know is wrong and make it right! Being strong is rejecting those thoughts in your head that are tearing you down and tell you "do cardio" or "eat less" because those thoughts make you weak. Being strong is having the will and determination to take your life back into your own hands and never give up, no matter what! Get on your feet Mike, act on your plan, and leave the weak thoughts in the dust. Dont do it for any of us, do it for yourself. Life is a gift, don't waste it."
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________"What would really benefit them is realizing that they they don't have to prove anything to anyone (most importantly themselves). They don't need to earn the right to eat, or to take a break, or to take care of themselves. To appreciate themselves despite their faults, appreciate themselves enough to take care of themselves..that would be truly pr
    Last edited by MikeWines; 11-23-2013 at 09:04 AM.
    B.S. Exercise Science

usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Step 4. DOMINATE LIFE.
    Step 5. Repeat.
    lol. need to get a foam roller. stretching only goes so far...
    My path to contest prep:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160935491&page=1

Originally Posted by usawinston View Post
    lol. need to get a foam roller. stretching only goes so far...
    Possibly one of the best investments you can purchase TBH.

Other note before i shoot off and cry under the bar.

Reading through and pretty much understand the statement of listening to your body. That is something we can all do consistently to yield better results.
    Of course, at this present moment in time my goals are different from many others and I can more or less listen to my body whenever I want and get the sleep, food, training desired to yield the results.

The time comes though when listening to your body and actioning what your body is crying out for, for you to have to ignore this and carry on through that barrier.

Cmoore, highiso, yakabebe, lolakitten (as an example here) All were not able to get to the point they were at without sacrifice and shutting off from what the body was asking for.
    Be it lower weight, More carbs, splitting the nutrition over the day, less frequency, etc, etc. These factors at some point in time are the reflection of ones overall success.

I am not arguing by any means and get what was being said. But these factors may sometimes need to be considered also at times.

No one said this journey was easy. As most of us already have found out.

We get out what we put in..

Just chucking this in here Mike..

Off to hit a PR. Have a good day man.