Closed Thread
Page 31 of 148 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 81 131 ... LastLast
    FrankHWhite will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankHWhite will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankHWhite will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankHWhite will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankHWhite will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankHWhite will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankHWhite will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankHWhite will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankHWhite will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankHWhite will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankHWhite will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    what do u guys think about the all pro program? has anyone tried it? Its hard to know what program to use when u can really tell the difference between them in terms of results.

JRudolph05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JRudolph05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JRudolph05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JRudolph05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JRudolph05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JRudolph05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JRudolph05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Im 5'8 295

I dont get the macros part of it.
    I plugged in my stats in a calorie calculator and it said:

maintence: 3372
    fat loss : 2697
    extreme fatloss: 2360

Ok could someone answer these questions

What amount of calories should i aim for 2697 or 2360? or are these still to high?
    295lb-21%BF=274lb lean body mass. Am i supposed to consume 274 protein a day?
    I had another question but cant remember right now.
    Would this be a good example of a day on this diet?

Breakfast:
    2 scrambled eggs
    Cheese
    2 strips of bacon

Snack:
    2 medium orange

Lunch:
    lettuce(sallad)
    2 boiled eggs
    1 corn on the cob
    cheese
    chopped ham

Snack:
    sliced cantaloupe

Dinner:
    1 medium steak
    1 cup of rice
    gravy

Too much? Too little? What would you change?
    thx ahead

in a world built on rules iDrive's Avatar
    iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by nlwnola View Post
    Ok i've been doing this for without watching calories to almost no results. I started watching the calories a few days ago and hoping for much better results. Do weights 3 times a week and cardio 3. The one gram of protein to 1lb body weight is so hard when you are 220lbs. I get almost sick to my stomach. How can i make it easier to do?
    LBM is not Body Weight. Shoot for 150g.

Originally Posted by Outerspace View Post
    So when you do calorie restriction, what are supposed to do about staying out of a catabolic state?

Also, if exercise doesn't matter for losing fat as long as your calories are down what is the point of lifting for fat loss?
    A) See rules 1 & 2
    B) Exercise does matter, See rule 1.

Originally Posted by rafikz View Post
    So it's ok to eat carbs (along with lean meat) for dinner?
    Yes.

Is glutamine something that would help against going catabolic in this program?
    Negative.

I should also add, what is frustrating about this is on calorie restriction I can barely move in the weight room. I can manage to do cardio, but weights, that is a real humdinger.

I don't know if it would be kosher to eat more on the 3 days a week or not, but that is a real problem for me.

I need to lose 30 lbs of fat.
    If you can barely move the weight it's too heavy for you.

If you want to cycle calories and eat more on workout days you have to eat less on non-workout days, you perogative.

Losing 30lbs of fat is 99% diet

Originally Posted by JRudolph05 View Post
    Noob question:
    Ok im supposed to eat " Eat 1g protein / lb lean body mass" and i did the math,
    which is 295lb-44%BF= 251. 251g is the amount of protein i need every day?

EDIT:
    I used the BMI calculator accidently
    its actually 295-21= 274g
    @ 295lbs 44% BF is 130lbs 295-130=165lbs LBM = 165g protein

You're not 21%BF @ 295.

Originally Posted by fni View Post
    wave,

what's your take on strength? what exactly should we aim for? do we aim to increase weight on our bench or squat? or just be happy with keeping it steady?
    Aim to increase, but be happy with holding steady.

Originally Posted by FrankHWhite View Post
    what do u guys think about the all pro program? has anyone tried it? Its hard to know what program to use when u can really tell the difference between them in terms of results.
    They're all pretty similar, find one you can stick to and enjoy.

Im 5'8 295

What amount of calories should i aim for 2697 or 2360? or are these still to high?
    295lb-21%BF=274lb lean body mass. Am i supposed to consume 274 protein a day?
    I have a hard time at those stats believing you're 21%BF

2500 is a good starting point. Doesn't matter what you eat only how much
    You don't try to build a wall.
    You don't set out to build a wall.
    You don't say, "I'm going to build the biggest, baddest, greatest wall that's ever been built!".
    You don't start there.

You say, "I'm going to lay this brick as perfectly as a brick can be laid.".
    You do that every single day, and soon you'll have a wall.

JRudolph05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JRudolph05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JRudolph05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JRudolph05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JRudolph05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JRudolph05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JRudolph05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I have a hard time at those stats believing you're 21%BF

2500 is a good starting point. Doesn't matter what you eat only how much[/QUOTE]

yea i used to diffrent calculators and its actually 44% i thought 22 looked weird too

mozzi101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mozzi101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mozzi101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mozzi101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mozzi101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mozzi101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mozzi101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mozzi101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mozzi101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mozzi101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mozzi101 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by FrankHWhite View Post
    Hi Frank, yep I use the all pro program if you are referring to the beginners one he did that has it's own thread. As iDrive says the routine is not so important for the purpose of losing weight as long as its weights 3 times a week. But as reference for you I have been doing the 3 rules for the last month and losing weight at just over 2lb a week and I am currently in cycle 2 starting week 3, very happy indeed with the results using the 3 rules.
    Find a job that you love and you'll never have to work another day in your life.

I rep anyone over the age of 40 on sight, us coffin dodgers have got to stick together!

Outerspace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by th3pwn3r View Post
    I wouldn't bother with glutamine, waste of money IMO. Don't worry about all your muscle mass disappearing overnight. Just follow the 3 rules and you'll be alright.
    Ok thanks.

I think your problem is all in your mind. Unless you're under severe caloric restriction you should be just fine in the weight room. I suggest you cut back on the cardio and put more time into your weight training if possible. Of course the total amount of weight you move isn't exactly the main focus, the idea is to train your muscles with a use it or lose it mentality.
    It isn't in mind, but ultimately beside the point. I was asking what the reasoning is for lifting for the purposes of losing fat.

The gym is 25 minutes away both ways, I have a family and own a large business, nearly 1 hour extra a day on the road has to pay off in order to justify it for the express purpose of fat loss. Just wondering why lifting was mentioned for fat loss vs. cardio. Am happy to lift for muscle, but I am cutting and fat loss is the highest priority at the moment. I need to get this off of me.

Trick question? It's a completed movement in some type of exercise with a full range of motion. A partial rep is a movement in some type of exercise using a limited range of motion.
    That is not what I was referring to.

That or it's short for a reputation an individual has or a "rep" contribution from another member be it negative or positive which increases or decreases "Rep Power".
    This is what I was referring to.

So I guess the Zone diet of high fish oil/more protein/less carbs/moderate but not restricted calories/long interval low intensity cardio is not in favor here?

Originally Posted by iDrive View Post
    If you can barely move the weight it's too heavy for you.
    Ok, but I'm trying to find out WHY the recommendation is there to lift when the goal is to lose fat.

If you want to cycle calories and eat more on workout days you have to eat less on non-workout days, you perogative.
    Ok, but I'm trying to find out why the recommendation is to lift for burning fat.

Losing 30lbs of fat is 99% diet
    I believe you, see two previous responses.

Lifting is out of the way for me and difficult to schedule. I will do it if it makes a difference for fat loss, but if it has little impact I'm going to skip, it simply isn't worth the time. I lifted heavy for 4 months just to get some strength and quality going, happy with the results but I lost like 3 lbs of fat. In 4 months. Going at it hard 5-6 days a week. I had to eat like a hog to support that.

Gotta lose that fat.

It sound like glutamine is not going to impact this process, thanks for the advice.

With my schedule getting enough quality protein is a problem, will a non-bulking protein shake interfere in any way?
    [/QUOTE]

Innerpeace32 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Innerpeace32 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Innerpeace32 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Innerpeace32 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Innerpeace32 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Innerpeace32 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Innerpeace32 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Innerpeace32 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Innerpeace32 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Innerpeace32 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Innerpeace32 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ok, but I'm trying to find out why the recommendation is to lift for burning fat.
    because it burns fat when you lift. Just do it, it works.

Originally Posted by Innerpeace32 View Post
    because it burns fat when you lift. Just do it, it works.
    It has not worked for me. Don't know if it's age or what.

I lost 15 lbs in six weeks with diet change (zeroed out table sugar based foods, starting eating oatmeal and more protein), calorie restriction, and cardio/pushup types workouts.

I started feeling flabby so I lifted hard for 4 months. Very worthwhile, don't get me wrong, got some good results overall in terms of muscularity. Feel great. But I lost like 3 lbs of fat, in 4 months.

Saw recent pictures of myself, and I look fat. So doing what I've been doing lifting ain't gonna work unless I can cut back calories. I have chronic fatigue and insomnia, without eating a bunch lifting is dramatically less productive.

Decided to go back to running and calorie cutback, and have lost 8 lbs in 5 weeks (some of it weight I gained back on a two week family event and business trip). Really need another 25 to go, and I want to lose it as quickly as possible. If eating extra so I can lift is going to slow that down, going to pass. Or if weak @$$ lifting is not going to have a great impact on losing fat it isn't worth the nearly 1 hour of driving.

Not trying to be difficult, just trying to learn.

hiimchurp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hiimchurp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hiimchurp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hiimchurp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hiimchurp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hiimchurp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hiimchurp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hiimchurp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hiimchurp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hiimchurp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hiimchurp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    At currently at 278, 35% BF, how much protein should i be taking every day? As you can see from my profile pic, i have longs ways to go and im really just trying to lose all my weight.

mozzi101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mozzi101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mozzi101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mozzi101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mozzi101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mozzi101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mozzi101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mozzi101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mozzi101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mozzi101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mozzi101 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I lost 15 lbs in six weeks with diet change (zeroed out table sugar based foods, starting eating oatmeal and more protein), calorie restriction, and cardio/pushup types workouts.

I started feeling flabby so I lifted hard for 4 months. Very worthwhile, don't get me wrong, got some good results overall in terms of muscularity. Feel great. But I lost like 3 lbs of fat, in 4 months.

Saw recent pictures of myself, and I look fat. So doing what I've been doing lifting ain't gonna work unless I can cut back calories. I have chronic fatigue and insomnia, without eating a bunch lifting is dramatically less productive.

Decided to go back to running and calorie cutback, and have lost 8 lbs in 5 weeks (some of it weight I gained back on a two week family event and business trip). Really need another 25 to go, and I want to lose it as quickly as possible. If eating extra so I can lift is going to slow that down, going to pass. Or if weak @$$ lifting is not going to have a great impact on losing fat it isn't worth the nearly 1 hour of driving.

One study I found amongst many using google :

What type of training is more effective for fat loss – weight training or cardio.

http://www.fitnessuncovered.com/rese...-for-fat-loss/

'Conclusion: Therefore, from this study, we can clearly see that if you are looking to perform a fat loss workout, weight training is far superior to cardio training. You can see results with cardio training alone, but it won’t be nearly the same amplitude as if you would have strength trained.'

edit: Sorry still no explanation in science terms of 'why' this happens, if I find one i'll post it.
    Last edited by mozzi101; 05-09-2011 at 06:21 AM. Reason: correction
    Find a job that you love and you'll never have to work another day in your life.

I rep anyone over the age of 40 on sight, us coffin dodgers have got to stick together!

Now, I am become Death... BadBrain's Avatar
    BadBrain is on a distinguished road. (+10) BadBrain is on a distinguished road. (+10) BadBrain is on a distinguished road. (+10) BadBrain is on a distinguished road. (+10) BadBrain is on a distinguished road. (+10) BadBrain is on a distinguished road. (+10) BadBrain is on a distinguished road. (+10) BadBrain is on a distinguished road. (+10) BadBrain is on a distinguished road. (+10) BadBrain is on a distinguished road. (+10) BadBrain is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by hiimchurp View Post
    At currently at 278, 35% BF, how much protein should i be taking every day? As you can see from my profile pic, i have longs ways to go and im really just trying to lose all my weight.
    278*.35=132 lbs of fat
    Subtact this from your weight
    278-132=146 lbs of lean body mass

So...

You need 146 grams of protein per day

Drink a shake with a couple of scoops of whey powder in 2 cups of non-fat milk, eat some cottage cheese for breakfast...snack on a couple of low fat string cheeses...finish the day with some chicken and veggies...you'll hit the 146 grams no problemo

BadBrain is on a distinguished road. (+10) BadBrain is on a distinguished road. (+10) BadBrain is on a distinguished road. (+10) BadBrain is on a distinguished road. (+10) BadBrain is on a distinguished road. (+10) BadBrain is on a distinguished road. (+10) BadBrain is on a distinguished road. (+10) BadBrain is on a distinguished road. (+10) BadBrain is on a distinguished road. (+10) BadBrain is on a distinguished road. (+10) BadBrain is on a distinguished road. (+10)

The idea behind the lifting isn't so much to burn fat, it's to preserve muscle while losing fat. If you don't mind losing muscle as well as fat, by all means, don't lift. Ditto for the protein, you can cut your calories and eat nothing but Ding-dongs and still lose weight...

The reason for the protein and the lifting is to preserve muscle mass...not burn fat...

iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    So I guess the Zone diet of high fish oil/more protein/less carbs/moderate but not restricted calories/long interval low intensity cardio is not in favor here?
    Calorie restriction is the only way to lose fat therefore saying "not calorie restricted" means there's another trick they throw at you to get the results. Low Carb diets trick you into eating less since you cut out a whole macronutrient group essentially.

Cardio is not essential to losing weight but is a tool to increase energy output and another "trick" diets like the zone use to accelerate weight loss.

Ok, but I'm trying to find out WHY the recommendation is there to lift when the goal is to lose fat.
    Weight loss is not the same as fat loss.

To lose weight you need caloric restriction. The quality of weight lost will be some ratio of fat and lean body mass determined mostly by genetics. Lifting and protein intake help to minimize the ratio of muscle lost compared to fat.

The 3 rules are simply the basics needed to maintain optimal body composition which is maximizing fat loss and minimizing muscle loss.

Lifting is out of the way for me and difficult to schedule. I will do it if it makes a difference for fat loss, but if it has little impact I'm going to skip, it simply isn't worth the time. I lifted heavy for 4 months just to get some strength and quality going, happy with the results but I lost like 3 lbs of fat. In 4 months. Going at it hard 5-6 days a week. I had to eat like a hog to support that.
    You don't necessarily need to go to a gym to be able to lift since it sounds like you're not focused on adding muscle. Home workouts with bodyweight can be very effective.

It sounds like you just want to lose weight which is fine, to each his own. But it seems like you lost weight then increased calories just because you started to lift. You should be able to eat in a deficit and at least maintain your strength in the weight room.

With my schedule getting enough quality protein is a problem, will a non-bulking protein shake interfere in any way?
    Whey protein isolates are a good way to get in a lot of protein for relatively little calories.

Doubtful. The 3 rules are basic and work with people at all different ages.

You probably increased calories too much.

You have chroinic fatigue and insomnia but you're blaming the lack of calories for your performance in the weight room?

Decided to go back to running and calorie cutback, and have lost 8 lbs in 5 weeks
    This is the only way to lose fat/weight

Really need another 25 to go, and I want to lose it as quickly as possible.
    Marathon, not a sprint.

If eating extra so I can lift is going to slow that down, going to pass. Or if weak @$$ lifting is not going to have a great impact on losing fat it isn't worth the nearly 1 hour of driving.
    You don't have to lift to lose weight, it's advisable you do lift to lose fat.

Can you lift more when you eat more? Yes.
    Does eating less result in "weak @$$ lifting"? I'd say no.

I can lift just as much now as I did when I was 40-50lbs heavier and I'm eating less than I was back then as well. Strength is mostly neural anyway. Many people can actually gain strength while on a cut because of this reason.

It sounds like lifting isn't for you and you really wanna cut it out. By all means do.

150-200g would be a good target

Protein is the most sating macro nutrient as well so eating more generally helps with diet adherance as well
    You don't say, "I'm going to build the biggest, baddest, greatest wall that's ever been built!".
    You don't start there.

CtrlAltRepeat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CtrlAltRepeat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CtrlAltRepeat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CtrlAltRepeat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CtrlAltRepeat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CtrlAltRepeat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CtrlAltRepeat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CtrlAltRepeat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CtrlAltRepeat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CtrlAltRepeat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CtrlAltRepeat is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hey everyone, I love the thread (and the predecessor). About two months ago I started dieting seriously for the first time in my life and I pretty much followed the guideline in the OP. I went from about 194 lbs to 185 lbs in about six weeks. I was surprised at how easy it went for me. In any case, I've been slacking off and eating a bit more since then (thanks in part to holidays, etc.) and have remained at 185. I am looking to continue with my diet though, and I will definitely check back in when I get closer to my goal.

Thanks to all who contributed!

hiimchurp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hiimchurp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hiimchurp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hiimchurp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hiimchurp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hiimchurp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hiimchurp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hiimchurp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hiimchurp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hiimchurp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hiimchurp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BadBrain View Post
    278*.35=132 lbs of fat
    Subtact this from your weight
    278-132=146 lbs of lean body mass

So...

You need 146 grams of protein per day

Drink a shake with a couple of scoops of whey powder in 2 cups of non-fat milk, eat some cottage cheese for breakfast...snack on a couple of low fat string cheeses...finish the day with some chicken and veggies...you'll hit the 146 grams no problemo
    Thanks for the quick-helpful reply

150-200g would be a good target

Protein is the most sating macro nutrient as well so eating more generally helps with diet adherance as well
    Thanks aswell for responding to me

I had another quick question, if im to lose weight to lose fat-weight by weight lifting, should i be doing something that pushes me to the edge of my limits, or should i do something around 20lbs lighter then my current max weight i can do while doing weights.

My main goal is to have a lean body, so im still unsure if weights is the right way to go, or if i should go all out cardio, then do weights.

thanks once agian

nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by BadBrain View Post
    The idea behind the lifting isn't so much to burn fat, it's to preserve muscle while losing fat. If you don't mind losing muscle as well as fat, by all means, don't lift. Ditto for the protein, you can cut your calories and eat nothing but Ding-dongs and still lose weight...

The reason for the protein and the lifting is to preserve muscle mass...not burn fat...
    This. You don't 'burn fat' (LOLZORZ) in the gym, you lose fat in the kitchen. The gym is for adding/maintaining musclez.
    'There is no sin except stupidity." --Oscar Wilde

My main goal is to have a lean body, so im still unsure if weights is the right way to go, or if i should go all out cardio, then do weights.

thanks once agian
    Weight lifting is imperative to getting a lean body. Your training should be intense but intensity depends on a number of factors. You don't need to be setting personal records every session but you should be giving it your all the entire time you're in the gym.
    You don't start there.

Weight lifting is imperative to getting a lean body. Your training should be intense but intensity depends on a number of factors. You don't need to be setting personal records every session but you should be giving it your all the entire time you're in the gym.
    thanks i just wasnt enterily to sure, the more i read into the stuff the more confusing it gets, im sure like most people say different things work for different people and i just got to find what right for me. As for the intensity, i would say its intense but definitely not to my full capacity, i wish i had a work out buddy or could afford a personal trainer to push to me that next level while i work out. That is truthfully another personal issue with myself that i have to overcome.

I saw your progress pics, i hope to do the same with my self in the coming months

thanks i just wasnt enterily to sure, the more i read into the stuff the more confusing it gets, im sure like most people say different things work for different people and i just got to find what right for me. As for the intensity, i would say its intense but definitely not to my full capacity, i wish i had a work out buddy or could afford a personal trainer to push to me that next level while i work out. That is truthfully another personal issue with myself that i have to overcome.

I saw your progress pics, i hope to do the same with my self in the coming months
    Aw! mate, trust me what your doing will make it work intensity wise, I don't kill myself in the gym, just healthy slow progression, i'm actually on a beginners routine that baby steps into it and i'm losing good weight every week, over 8 pound last month and my overall body weight is not that high to start with. If you get your calorie intake correct by experimenting a bit at the beginning, that weight will start to fly off you. Main things are get enough protein as recommended above, find your maintenance, insure you are eating at a deficit and track your calories using an online tracker, you will be gold.

Good luck hiimchurp

Calorie restriction is the only way to lose fat therefore saying "not calorie restricted" means there's another trick they throw at you to get the results. Low Carb diets trick you into eating less since you cut out a whole macronutrient group essentially.

Cardio is not essential to losing weight but is a tool to increase energy output and another "trick" diets like the zone use to accelerate weight loss.
    The Zone Diet says the key to fat loss is lowering insulin by cutting back on carbs, boosting glucagon by eating enough protein, and boosting another hormone I'm forgetting that burns fat by intaking plenty of omega 3s.

If you don't know about those books you can get 'em at the library. I would recommend them to anyone who wants to learn about the other side of the argument on the calorie input output theory.

Weight loss is not the same as fat loss.

To lose weight you need caloric restriction. The quality of weight lost will be some ratio of fat and lean body mass determined mostly by genetics. Lifting and protein intake help to minimize the ratio of muscle lost compared to fat.[/quote]
    Ok

The 3 rules are simply the basics needed to maintain optimal body composition which is maximizing fat loss and minimizing muscle loss.
    Ok, that was not clear from the outset, if this is indeed what he was saying.

You don't necessarily need to go to a gym to be able to lift since it sounds like you're not focused on adding muscle. Home workouts with bodyweight can be very effective.
    I do some of that in my cardio workout routine. It is a one hour mix of jogging, sprints, plyo, pushups, lunges, etc.

It sounds like you just want to lose weight which is fine, to each his own.
    No, I want to lose fat, as fast as I can. Apparently by what has been said so far is that lifting won't necessarily do that, so I am trying to calculate if lifting will be worth it or if I should skip a few months. Leaning toward skipping.

But it seems like you lost weight then increased calories just because you started to lift.
    Yes.

You should be able to eat in a deficit and at least maintain your strength in the weight room.
    Don't know.

Whey protein isolates are a good way to get in a lot of protein for relatively little calories.
    Ok

Doubtful. The 3 rules are basic and work with people at all different ages.

You probably increased calories too much.
    Probably. Thing is I'm losing pretty good right now and don't want to mess with it, so need a compelling reason to start lifting.

You have chroinic fatigue and insomnia but you're blaming the lack of calories for your performance in the weight room?
    Yes. I am on the low energy side to begin with, eating plenty is thing I've had to do to lift at the intensity I know I need to get in order to make muscle gains. I had a great 4 months, best 4 months in the gym ever for me, just only a few pound of fat loss to show for it.

I wish it wasn't this way but I have not been able to figure out something different.

This is the only way to lose fat/weight

Marathon, not a sprint.

You don't have to lift to lose weight, it's advisable you do lift to lose fat.
    I hope I've been clear so far, but I lifted like a madman and did not lose fat. I cut

Can you lift more when you eat more? Yes.
    Does eating less result in "weak @$$ lifting"? I'd say no.

I can lift just as much now as I did when I was 40-50lbs heavier and I'm eating less than I was back then as well. Strength is mostly neural anyway. Many people can actually gain strength while on a cut because of this reason.

It sounds like lifting isn't for you and you really wanna cut it out. By all means do.
    The thing is I love lifting. I love it. I would lift 4 hours a day if I could. I hate cardio and I hate cutting calories, but my reality is that to lift hard I had to eat enough food or I would flame out. It frustrates me no end. I would LOVE to keep my lifting routine and cut calories and achieve those results. But it just ain't happening.

If I look at my pictures, the thing about my physique that stands out is that I'm too fat. I gotta lose fat. I don't want to spend 2-4 months tinkering with this and that before I figure it out, by then I will have made it doing the calorie cut with cardio. I have no idea why, but I seem to be able to do the cardio routine, but not the lifting. It is driving me bonkers. All I want to do is lift weights but I have to cut this gut.

I appreciate everybody's patience here, not trying to start fights, but just trying to tweak my personal situation.

Ahh, I think I may have figured it out. More soon.

Question for either wave_length or iDrive if possible.
    I'm sure I have read you guys saying as long as you nail your protein macro the other macros are unimportant just fill out your cals how you want.

Is this really true? My fat macro is very low on a daily basis, like between 30 and 40 g, is this ok? I wasn't worried about it as I feel fine and the diet is going great, I had also read that minimum fat was 30 grams for most people.

It's just lately on some other threads, the lean gains one mostly people keep warning other people about fats being too low, like lower than 60 g, so now i'm starting to wonder.

I have in my diet splash sesame nut oil for cooking, 1 table spoon mayo with tuna and about 6 or 7 peanuts in my stir fry, am I good to go or should I increase fats a little you think?

The Zone Diet says the key to fat loss is lowering insulin by cutting back on carbs, boosting glucagon by eating enough protein, and boosting another hormone I'm forgetting that burns fat by intaking plenty of omega 3s.

If you don't know about those books you can get 'em at the library. I would recommend them to anyone who wants to learn about the other side of the argument on the calorie input output theory.
    There is no "other side" to the "input/output theory" it's called the Law of Thermodynamics and it's a fundamental law of physics. I hardly think The Zone Diet has debunked physics.

and look you don't even need to go to the library

Ok, that was not clear from the outset, if this is indeed what he was saying.
    Um, what? 1st sentence 2nd post

"The goal of bodybuilding is to improve body composition by losing fat and/or gaining muscle mass."

...and later on in the 2nd paragraph

"Any cutting method that follows the above rules is close to optimal, any further details will not have significant effect on body composition."

No, I want to lose fat, as fast as I can. Apparently by what has been said so far is that lifting won't necessarily do that
    I already said,
    caloric deficit = lose weight
    lifting weights = preserve muscle
    caloric deficit + lifting weights = lose fat.

You still don't see the difference between weight and fat.
    Weight is some ratio of Lean Body Mass and Fat Mass
    Fat is mostly Fat Mass with preservation of LBM

I had a great 4 months, best 4 months in the gym ever for me, just only a few pound of fat loss to show for it.
    Not surprising, you said you increased calories, of course you won't lose as much weight.

I hope I've been clear so far, but I lifted like a madman and did not lose fat. I cut
    Lifting is pretty insignificant when it comes to burning calories. See equation above.

I would LOVE to keep my lifting routine and cut calories and achieve those results. But it just ain't happening.
    Doing something wrong, I'll let someone else chime in telling you they've increased strength while cutting calories. Sounds like a mental block.

I appreciate everybody's patience here, not trying to start fights, but just trying to tweak my personal situation.
    You are not a snowflake. See Laws of Physics.

Originally Posted by mozzi101 View Post
    Question for either wave_length or iDrive if possible.
    I'm sure I have read you guys saying as long as you nail your protein macro the other macros are unimportant just fill out your cals how you want.

Is this really true?
    Yes.

My fat macro is very low on a daily basis, like between 30 and 40 g, is this ok?
    I wouldn't consider that low

It's just lately on some other threads, the lean gains one mostly people keep warning other people about fats being too low, like lower than 60 g, so now i'm starting to wonder.
    The nutrition forum is in a hysteria about fats atm, idk why. If you're really concerned about it then buy some fish oil caps but you said you feel fine so don't worry about it.
    You don't start there.

Could someone give an example of what you would eat for a day?

I think i may be eating too much.

ive beating the same stuff mainly
    6oz steak and eggs for breakfast
    2 scrambled eggs

medium orange for breakfast

lettuce and cheese for lunch

orange for snack

and i usually feel like ive eaten to meat much so ill eat some type of meat for dinner

Smoked33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smoked33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smoked33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smoked33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smoked33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smoked33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smoked33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smoked33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smoked33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smoked33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smoked33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Remove any doubt, count your calories. This doesn't sound like you're eating a lot but calories can sneak up on you. You need to know what your maintenance level is and then eat at a deficit...bottom line.

Could someone give an example of what you would eat for a day?

I think i may be eating too much.

ive beating the same stuff mainly
    6oz steak and eggs for breakfast
    2 scrambled eggs

medium orange for breakfast

lettuce and cheese for lunch

orange for snack

and i usually feel like ive eaten to meat much so ill eat some type of meat for dinner

I often find myself laughing out loud at iDrive's not so subtle responses to what are essentially the same questions over and over.

This reminds me of a thread on "Elite Trader." Basically, a guy posted a trading setup that was pretty simple and had some real merit. He was done in one post, but the thread went on for over 400 pages. I think it's just human nature to try to make things more complicated than they need to be.

I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical of this whole thing at first too. But, so far, it's working fine. And what's nice is that:

A) my grocery bill has gone down. I used to worry about buying the best stuff. I couldn't just buy Skippy peanut butter...heavans no...I had to buy Farmer Pete's all natural free-range 100% whole grain organic peanut butter. Now, I just buy the skippy.

B) Every day's cheat day, in that I can usually fit something good in once my protein req's are met.

C) I don't worry about getting some precise macro balance like I'm trying to cool nuclear rods or something...I just worry about two things: protein and calories...in my case it's about 2200 calories and 160 grams of protein...

SuperSaucy688 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SuperSaucy688 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SuperSaucy688 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SuperSaucy688 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SuperSaucy688 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SuperSaucy688 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SuperSaucy688 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SuperSaucy688 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SuperSaucy688 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SuperSaucy688 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SuperSaucy688 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Cool A great way to roast fat in less time

Step1-
    Bring a box in an open space(living room or wherever else big)or a bin or a chair something to jump/step over.

Step2-
    Jump or step over the object then do a pushup then hop right back up fast we can also call this frog-pushups as you're going down in full pushup motion then jumping up from the ground, step/jump back over the object then do another pushup then jump up an step/jump back over the object keep repeating this style up to 25-30 minutes (I recommend you do it in the morning before breakfast to easily fry up fat nice an hot, or you can train with weights super hard til u can feel you've killed all the carbs from your body from weight training then you do the jump/step over object an frog pushup that I stated above an all u be burning is fat an hardly any food)

Step3- Eat a ****load of protein just a quarter portion of carbs and double your protein(say you eat one chicken breast, after your workout you'd wanna eat 2 then continue with your one chiccken breast when not working out)

Follow these 3 steps an you can trim down fast an cheap like a pro!!

I'll try to create more fat-killing skills if I can cook up anymore good plans

Good Luck and Happy Pumping!

hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Keep your **** out of here.

Closed Thread