Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    bodyrail has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

BodyRail Stability

The seat does not have the ability to attach to the rail in a fixed position. Keep in mind, the machine is designed to move your body weight back and forth. Although that doesn't mean you couldn't figure out a way to do this on your own.

As far as lateral stability of the seat, I have never personally had any issues with lateral stability of the seat.

If I understand your question correctly regarding the platform raising the rail, it is extremely stable. Not only is that platform all steel, but it also secures in place with two pins.

We think we've done a pretty good job demonstrating the strength of the machine by driving a car up its rails, so hopefully there is no issue there.

There's no way we're going to satisfy every consumer. The one who is posting obviously did not like the machine themself and returned it. If nothing else, I hope we at least impressed them with our customer service.

What we've learned over the years is that BodyRail is not for everybody. Those who "get it", couldn't be happier. BodyRail was designed out of a need. I had hurt my back lifting free weights and could no longer lift anything over my head. I still wanted to work out, but wanted the feeling of free weights and the bench of a gym. That's why BodyRail has all the features it does...

My recommendation is for you to try a machine. There's really no way to assess it's capability for what you are looking to do over the web. If you don't like it, you can always return it. If the cost seems too high, I've seen a few machines, not many, out on craigslist.com where you could pick one up for less cost, but then you won't be able to return it.

Patrick

Granrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Granrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Granrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Granrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Granrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Granrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Granrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Granrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Granrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Granrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Granrey will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by bodyrail View Post
    The seat does not have the ability to attach to the rail in a fixed position. Keep in mind, the machine is designed to move your body weight back and forth. Although that doesn't mean you couldn't figure out a way to do this on your own.

As far as lateral stability of the seat, I have never personally had any issues with lateral stability of the seat.

If I understand your question correctly regarding the platform raising the rail, it is extremely stable. Not only is that platform all steel, but it also secures in place with two pins.

We think we've done a pretty good job demonstrating the strength of the machine by driving a car up its rails, so hopefully there is no issue there.

There's no way we're going to satisfy every consumer. The one who is posting obviously did not like the machine themself and returned it. If nothing else, I hope we at least impressed them with our customer service.

What we've learned over the years is that BodyRail is not for everybody. Those who "get it", couldn't be happier. BodyRail was designed out of a need. I had hurt my back lifting free weights and could no longer lift anything over my head. I still wanted to work out, but wanted the feeling of free weights and the bench of a gym. That's why BodyRail has all the features it does...

My recommendation is for you to try a machine. There's really no way to assess it's capability for what you are looking to do over the web. If you don't like it, you can always return it. If the cost seems too high, I've seen a few machines, not many, out on craigslist.com where you could pick one up for less cost, but then you won't be able to return it.

Patrick

Patrick,

I used a similar product and I am a firm believer that this concept works. But why is this so expensive?

I do think your machine is worth every dollar based on the variety of exercises that you can do, but based on manufacturing cost your machine is too expensive in my opinion.

Why you still have not added a back support for the bench press?

I am still surprised that you have not improved either in the curl exercises either.

You guys have to improve the bench press and the bicep curls.

Other than that the concept is really good. I used mine in every workout: mainly for leg press, chin up and military press.

You should also point out that you can add weights to the machine. Bodybuilders will not take you seriously otherwise.

Registered User Body Resistance's Avatar
    Body Resistance has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Body Rail 340i Sweet Purchase!!

Hi all,

I just received my Body Rail 340i and so far I am very happy. I just posted some pics of the set up. I was limited to 6 so I posted a few more just below this post.

Assembly was a breeze and the quality of construction blows the Total Gym away! Sorry Chuck. I've used the Total Gym before and it feels very flimsy. Plus the fact that Total Gym uses pullies further reduces the actual % of body weight resistance being used. Total Gym fails to mention this until you see the double chart in the manual and is just plain wrong!

Body Rail is direct resistance meaning 1:1 for all exercises up to 50% of total body weight and I can add up to 200 lbs. of more weight with the bar and some plates although Body Rail says to keep it at 150 lbs thus eliminating the need to step up to the 440i. But so unecessary at this point. I tried just a few exercises at full incline and you feel it! Reps and positioning are key. You can tell that this unit is designed for conditioning.

The squat plate is reversible and lifts the rail off of the ground to do leg exercises and is completely stable! When doing squats - the steel diamond plate is a bit loose but only until you step on it. The downward pressure kicks in and you're off. When reversed there is no play whatsoever - it's solid. Image 4574 shows the quick release bar and support pins for switching it up.

I'll be fashioning a workout plan over the next couple days and will be then more prepared to comment about its performance. I wrote this because I was looking for a review on this device before and just couldn't find one. So here'e my 2 cents. The principles are so sound and this unit is right there in terms of availability I just went for it and I'm glad I did. For the quality of materials and craftsmanship I feel it was well worth the price. I also got a bonus item after speaking on the phone with a rep. So I took the plunge. It's all steel and welded to boot! The only plastic you'll find on here is on a copule of the end caps and adjusting knobs.

My goal is to transform - not body build so I won't be using it for that purpose, although there is no doubt that you can build muscle in just the right places if you want to. I can feel the burn and will probably now supplement this with a dumbell set and maybe a deadlift bar.

Okay Peace out for now.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Body Resistance; 10-10-2007 at 06:45 AM.

Registered User Body Resistance's Avatar
    Body Resistance has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Body Rail 340i - A Few More Pics

Okay - here's the last pics I took that I mentioned above. I forgot to mention that one could no doubt secure the bench by their own methods but it is designed to glide and not with cheapo wheels. These have bearings and glide very nicely. With the squat plate reversed and the bench near level or slightly inclined, using dumbbells will not be a problem. As for bench press there are 4 exercises you can do with the handles or sliding the straight bar through the handles + adding extra weights if so desired. The whole purpose of purchasing this unit was to eliminate the need for extra equipment. I tried it. It works!

Also, there are holes in the actual bench for putting the bar through for extra weights and also holes along the actual frame to place the dip/ press up bar through. At the back the riser pins are spring loaded and all you have to do is step on the bottom bar, pull the pins at the same time and the rail slides up or down very easily.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Body Resistance; 10-10-2007 at 07:17 AM.

once a week has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

portable gym

Originally Posted by tpreitzel View Post
    Ok, I did a brief search on portable gyms and found little of value. After decades of lifting, I've finally had it with gyms today for numerous reasons. I want a home gym, but it MUST be portable. Although I have some ideas, I'm looking for more of them. As possible, I'll post here periodically when I find updated information. The basic requirements are:

1. Stability of platform
    2. Versatility
    3. Compactness - severe due to limited space and frequent, i.e. 3x/week, relocation for performing exercises.
    4. Cost

Preferably commerical, but possibly constructed from plans.
    you should give this one a try, All this exercises are vertical. www.stretchandpress.com
    Last edited by once a week; 11-06-2007 at 08:36 AM. Reason: forgot something

Getting Bigger Each Day. FaceThePain's Avatar
    FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000)
    Although I haven't used the Total Gym promoted by Chuck Norris, the concept seems workable as it uses bodyweight plus an incline to increase load. Since I want to incrementally add load, one could adapt such a platform to utilize a mechanism for increasing FRICTION (isotonic to isometric) and/or adding weight to the body or platform, e.g. a friction-based slide. However, working the lower body effectively still poses a problem. More constructive ideas .... ?
    Actually, the Total Gym has 2 holes drilled underneath of the bodyboard, one low, one high, which PERFECTLY allows for a standard sized weight lifting bar to be inserted straight across underneath you while your sitting, allowing you to add MORE weight if you ever need to.
    I used a Total Gym in the exact same way, adding as much as 300lbs EXTRA plus my body weight, and the T.G. held up fine (I was around 200lbs at that time), it didnt bend or anything.
    HOWEVER, the foot plate at the bottom broke off from me trying to do a total gym leg press with over 500lbs, other than that, it's a great deal.
    Less than 11% bodyfat, and STILL no overly shown abs.
    **** genetics lol.

tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by bodyrail View Post

Patrick
    I'm still researching. I realize that the BodyRail is meant to slide, but I'd still love to see an option to lock the bench in place for use with dumbbells.

tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Doug J View Post
    This device looks promising for quad workout with dumbells.
    http://www.bodybuildingsecrets.com/a...ad_blaster.php
    Yeah, I'd like to be able to BUY this device as I don't have much spare time to attempt to build one. Does anyone know if this device is sold somewhere. If not, then maybe someone knows WHEN it might be available? From its appearance, it looks simple enough so that it could be built ...

I've just recently ordered wrist straps with hooks so I can squat more effectively with the dumbbells, but I'd sure like to use the Quad Blaster.

I just attempted to e-mail Carlos DeJesus at the listed address in the article. If I receive a response, I'll post some information depending on Carlos' approval and content.
    Last edited by tpreitzel; 01-14-2008 at 06:55 PM.

Originally Posted by FaceThePain View Post
    Actually, the Total Gym has 2 holes drilled underneath of the bodyboard, one low, one high, which PERFECTLY allows for a standard sized weight lifting bar to be inserted straight across underneath you while your sitting, allowing you to add MORE weight if you ever need to.
    I used a Total Gym in the exact same way, adding as much as 300lbs EXTRA plus my body weight, and the T.G. held up fine (I was around 200lbs at that time), it didnt bend or anything.
    HOWEVER, the foot plate at the bottom broke off from me trying to do a total gym leg press with over 500lbs, other than that, it's a great deal.
    Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by Body Resistance View Post
    Okay - here's the last pics I took that I mentioned above. I forgot to mention that one could no doubt secure the bench by their own methods but it is designed to glide and not with cheapo wheels. These have bearings and glide very nicely. With the squat plate reversed and the bench near level or slightly inclined, using dumbbells will not be a problem. As for bench press there are 4 exercises you can do with the handles or sliding the straight bar through the handles + adding extra weights if so desired. The whole purpose of purchasing this unit was to eliminate the need for extra equipment. I tried it. It works!

Also, there are holes in the actual bench for putting the bar through for extra weights and also holes along the actual frame to place the dip/ press up bar through. At the back the riser pins are spring loaded and all you have to do is step on the bottom bar, pull the pins at the same time and the rail slides up or down very easily.
    Thanks for the pictures and info! I'm still considering this platform.

Originally Posted by once a week View Post
    you should give this one a try, All this exercises are vertical. www.stretchandpress.com
    Honestly, I don't know about this product. I'll have to think about this possibility more. Thanks.

hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    What about a set of rings and adjustable dumbells?
    Let me live deep while I live; let me know the rich juices of red meat and battle when the blue blades flame and crimson, and I am content. - Conan

Originally Posted by mammut View Post
    What about a set of rings and adjustable dumbells?
    Elaborate. I already have IronMaster DBs. BTW, I live in an RV.

NisAznMonk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NisAznMonk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NisAznMonk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NisAznMonk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah, I'd like to be able to BUY this device as I don't have much spare time to attempt to build one. Does anyone know if this device is sold somewhere. If not, then maybe someone knows WHEN it might be available? From its appearance, it looks simple enough so that it could be built ...

I've just recently ordered wrist straps with hooks so I can squat more effectively with the dumbbells, but I'd sure like to use the Quad Blaster.

I just attempted to e-mail Carlos DeJesus at the listed address in the article. If I receive a response, I'll post some information depending on Carlos' approval and content.
    I ordered one recently through Carlos, and I hope it comes in soon.

Originally Posted by NisAznMonk View Post
    I ordered one recently through Carlos, and I hope it comes in soon.
    Yeah, I ordered mine a couple of days ago! Although, I had mentioned it on my blog, I forgot to mention it here. I, too, hope it arrives soon! If anyone else is interested in the Quad Blaster, just e-mail Carlos at exercisetherapy1@aol.com .
    Last edited by tpreitzel; 01-18-2008 at 12:17 AM.

Originally Posted by need2eat View Post
    I figured this one out a while back.

Its why I just have a bench and some DB weight, it was by necessity but hey, lesson learned.

For your legs.

Try one leg squats, lunges and step ups. Very effective with DB's. If you vary the height of the step ups, it will change the part of the upper leg that is affected, works well IMO. Simple wood boxes work fine.

See if you can rig up a way to do pullups and dips, those are two very effective exercises. Ive actually found weighted pullups to be more effective at building the back/lats than doing heavy rows, weighted dips have their advantages too.
    I originally missed this post. You have good advice. I've lost considerable bodyweight over the past few years. I absolutely agree that weighted pull-ups are far more effective than rows for building mass on the back. I need to restore some balance between the upper and lower body, and weighted pull-ups should really help. With some work, my current Bowflex can be rigged for pull-ups. I just need to spend more time and effort to figure out how to do it safely as it wasn't designed for that purpose. The BodyRail plus my V-Max vest should really help if the unit is really stable enough, but it still won't be as effective as a pure vertical pull-up.
    Last edited by tpreitzel; 01-18-2008 at 12:43 AM.

chasn w8t's like its pu$y Jamps's Avatar
    Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000)

Cool

if i were u i would have gotten the following:

Power Rings
    V-Max vest and/or Adjustable kettlebell (w/ dipping belt) or adjustable sand bags (as the last option from IM website)
    Power Jump rope
    Captain of crush Gripper and/or IMTUG

For ur lower body u could do 1 legged squats/step ups/lungs/sldl/romanian dl/1 legged calves raise

For upper body you can do as much as ur imagination will allow for u to do....

That's what i actually planned on doing if i had to move somewhere and couldn't take my gym w/ me for the time being. Plus dips/pull ups/push ups/rows and it's variations are way harder on the power rings as compared to a stable platform (i had a friend perform push ups to pre-failure and then had him try out the power rings. He was able to do damn near 20 straight on the ground but when he got on the rings he could barely crank out 4-5 of em and his form was ****ty...which can suggest various things from him being *relatively* weak to him having weak stabilizer muscles, etc...)

Lastly, All of that could actually fit into a back pack to take along w/ you to a nearby park or anything that is stable enough to mount the power rings on.

Here's a lil pic of some example exercises

Last edited by jampsifit; 01-18-2008 at 02:19 AM.
    PimPin Iron ain't easy, but i do it though...1 plate at a time. So watch how i Get'er done in my workout journal: http://tinyurl.com/

[][][]=\\=(>_<)=//=[][][]
    ................|
    .............../ \

Originally Posted by jampsifit View Post
    if i were u i would have gotten the following:

Power Rings
    V-Max vest and/or Adjustable kettlebell (w/ dipping belt) or adjustable sand bags (as the last option from IM website)
    Power Jump rope
    Captain of crush Gripper and/or IMTUG

For ur lower body u could do 1 legged squats/step ups/lungs/sldl/romanian dl/1 legged calves raise

For upper body you can do as much as ur imagination will allow for u to do....

That's what i actually planned on doing if i had to move somewhere and couldn't take my gym w/ me for the time being. Plus dips/pull ups/push ups/rows and it's variations are way harder on the power rings as compared to a stable platform (i had a friend perform push ups to pre-failure and then had him try out the power rings. He was able to do damn near 20 straight on the ground but when he got on the rings he could barely crank out 4-5 of em and his form was ****ty...which can suggest various things from him being *relatively* weak to him having weak stabilizer muscles, etc...)

Lastly, All of that could actually fit into a back pack to take along w/ you to a nearby park or anything that is stable enough to mount the power rings on.

Here's a lil pic of some example exercises

Thanks for the suggestion. I think adding the Power Rings makes good sense for flexibility, but I, personally, wouldn't just use the Power Rings alone with just a weighted vest. However, I can easily see developing a moderately muscular upper body from that combination. I absolutely believe that using the Rings would complement my portable system very well indeed.

My current setup:
    1. V-Max 100 lb. weighted vest
    2. IronMaster 75 lb DBs (need to get additional weight)
    3. Wrist wraps with curved hooks
    4. Quad Blaster for thighs... need to find some more creative uses for this device if possible when it arrives.
    5. CoC grippers
    6. Old Bowflex unit
    7. Likely the BodyRail which will replace the Bowflex.
    8. Likely the Power Rings ... good suggestion

All of this equipment should easily work with minimal space when stored or used. Only an item like the Power Rings would have to used outside.
    Last edited by tpreitzel; 01-18-2008 at 04:10 AM.

NisAznMonk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NisAznMonk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NisAznMonk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NisAznMonk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have this in my apartment, and I REALLY like it. I'm extremely weak when it comes to pull ups, but this thing has helped me out tremendously.

http://www.pullupbar.com/

They've got some cheaper imitation ones on www.amazon.com but the reviews didn't look very promising. I have that exact same one and the quality is top notch!

Now I'm wondering about the gymnastic rings. Where can I buy a pair of rings WITH the straps? www.ringtraining.com looks like they only have the rings by themselves. I'm going to strap it to my pull up bar so I can work on my back.

I think I'm going to go with the DIY version:

http://gymnasticscoaching.com/?p=3340

Now I got to figure out where to buy the handles.

Registered User WorkingOnTheDream's Avatar
    WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have this in my apartment, and I REALLY like it. I'm extremely weak when it comes to pull ups, but this thing has helped me out tremendously.

http://www.pullupbar.com/

They've got some cheaper imitation ones on www.amazon.com but the reviews didn't look very promising. I have that exact same one and the quality is top notch!

Now I'm wondering about the gymnastic rings. Where can I buy a pair of rings WITH the straps? www.ringtraining.com looks like they only have the rings by themselves. I'm going to strap it to my pull up bar so I can work on my back.

The rings at www.ringtraining.com do come with straps.

If you're interested in rings, I'd highly recommend Rogue Rings. They just started producing their rings, and I'm amazed at their quality (disclaimer: I was sent their rings and upcoming chinup bar to try out).

They are incredibly solid, nicely textured, smoothly welded metal. Flat black rings and incredibly tough strap and cam buckle. My grip on these is fantastic. Highly recommended!
    No matter where you go, there you are.

ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    not sure if it's been mentioned... but check out the TRX system www.fitnessanywhere. com i love it and can go anywhere and work the total body
    If you have a question or comment about my post... pm me, i will be happy to explain.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...
    http://anomoly.wordpress.com
    If you do not work on and expose your weaknesses, your competition will.

www.mutantfitness.com buffbrown21's Avatar
    buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I think I'm going to go with the DIY version:

http://gymnasticscoaching.com/?p=3340

Now I got to figure out where to buy the handles.
    You can make some decent ones yourself, but as mentioned the Elite rings come with adjustable straps and the original versions are now only $50.
    Gymnasticbodies.com also has some good rings, called xtreme rings, that are $50 (with straps).

I have this Everlast pullup bar that works via cantilever system like the one you mentioned, but mine was only $25. It works out very well for me. The main difference that I see is that you can get some really wide grip pullups on yours, while I cant. I recommend it and for the price, I think it was an excellent purchase.
    http://store.everlastboxing.com/ever...e-gym-bar.html
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member #14

www.ShankAZombie.com

ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

it's going to sound like i'm trying to sell people on this but i'm trying to put the facts out there to let people make their own choices -

I have and use the totalgym, trx, and regular gym (i like to keep my muscles guessing) -

the reason i suggested the TRX is because the o.g. post was asking for a PORTABLE total body solution, which is exactly what the trx is.

when looking into it the elite rings, jungle gym 2 and also blast straps came up a few times... here's my thoughts on this...

i haven't used the elite rings but let me put this out there (if i'm wrong correct me)
    the elite rings are great if your looking to become a gymnist. three major downsides i can see right from the start is: 1. portablitity 2. lower body 3. ease of use

1. portablity - from what i can see you would need to have a bar, beam or rail that not only can hold your weight, but also has enough room around it for you to move freely. this might be fine if you have a big house, or a great park that has this... or if you want to drill holes in your roof. and what if your leaving out of town? then you have to find a place to strap them up.

2. lower body- i'm sure that there's a way to do lower body exercises but i'm sure they aren't as easy or comfortable to do.

3. ease of use- can a beginner who has not lifted weights, or exercised in a long time hop on these things and get a great workout? novice, expert?

with trx:
    1.portability - you can use the included door anchor to attatch to any door (that will hold your weight) and your ready to go. or you can go outside (or inside) and use the suspension anchor to attatch to any beam, pole, rail, rod (vertical or horizontal) that will hold your weight.

2.lower body - seeing how professional athletes from many different walks of life (triathletes, baseball, basketball, football, MMA - mixed martial arts etc) use this (as well as me) and i can get a great lower body as well as upper body work out with this thing.

3.ease of use - it takes a little while to get used to but because of the way it is designed it's very easy to adjust not only the system but if you would like to make any exercise easy or hard you just change your body position.

TRX has it's downsides too...
    price - it's expensive, you could make your own for cheaper, HOWEVER, it's not going to be as good a quality and it might actually take you more time and money to get it right.

straps are together, this may limit some range of motion (i.e. you cannot do pullups, muscle ups or dips... however with over 200 exercises you can find more than one to work or isolate those same muscles.)

like i said before i have and use many different "solutions" totalgym, TRX, p90x, bodyweight (plyometrics, pushups, pullups), actual gym...

i don't think that there is any PERFECT solution, everyone is different. what works for one person will not or may not work for someone else. what one person loves, another will hate -

hope this helps someone
    If you have a question or comment about my post... pm me, i will be happy to explain.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...
    http://anomoly.wordpress.com
    If you do not work on and expose your weaknesses, your competition will.

Originally Posted by ImBIGGERThanU View Post
    like i said before i have and use many different "solutions" totalgym, TRX, p90x, bodyweight (plyometrics, pushups, pullups), actual gym...

i don't think that there is any PERFECT solution, everyone is different. what works for one person will not or may not work for someone else. what one person loves, another will hate -

hope this helps someone
    The TRX system fits in well with portable exercise systems. Combining the TRX system and/or rings with a weighted vest looks like a viable option for moderate muscular development. Although, I have most of the equipment needed, I still have a few holes to fill so keep the suggestions coming. If I can't use it, somebody else likely will if it meets their needs for a portable, flexible, compact and efficient mechanism for developing muscle. Basically, this thread is intended for progressive muscular development in a portable and compact environment.
    Last edited by tpreitzel; 01-30-2008 at 03:29 PM.

Quad Blaster

I received Carlos DeJesus' Quad Blaster today and it's a great device for exercising the quadriceps. I've posted a grainy picture on my blog, Over the Hill, but the idea is simple enough. The padded bar slips through the straps and naturally rests behind the knee as you squat. The board is varnished and appears to be solidly built.
    Last edited by tpreitzel; 02-25-2008 at 10:40 PM.

Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ImBIGGERThanU View Post
    it's going to sound like i'm trying to sell people on this but i'm trying to put the facts out there to let people make their own choices -

I have and use the totalgym, trx, and regular gym (i like to keep my muscles guessing) -

the reason i suggested the TRX is because the o.g. post was asking for a PORTABLE total body solution, which is exactly what the trx is.

when looking into it the elite rings, jungle gym 2 and also blast straps came up a few times... here's my thoughts on this...

i haven't used the elite rings but let me put this out there (if i'm wrong correct me)
    the elite rings are great if your looking to become a gymnist. three major downsides i can see right from the start is: 1. portablitity 2. lower body 3. ease of use

1. portablity - from what i can see you would need to have a bar, beam or rail that not only can hold your weight, but also has enough room around it for you to move freely. this might be fine if you have a big house, or a great park that has this... or if you want to drill holes in your roof. and what if your leaving out of town? then you have to find a place to strap them up.

2. lower body- i'm sure that there's a way to do lower body exercises but i'm sure they aren't as easy or comfortable to do.

3. ease of use- can a beginner who has not lifted weights, or exercised in a long time hop on these things and get a great workout? novice, expert?

with trx:
    1.portability - you can use the included door anchor to attatch to any door (that will hold your weight) and your ready to go. or you can go outside (or inside) and use the suspension anchor to attatch to any beam, pole, rail, rod (vertical or horizontal) that will hold your weight.

2.lower body - seeing how professional athletes from many different walks of life (triathletes, baseball, basketball, football, MMA - mixed martial arts etc) use this (as well as me) and i can get a great lower body as well as upper body work out with this thing.

3.ease of use - it takes a little while to get used to but because of the way it is designed it's very easy to adjust not only the system but if you would like to make any exercise easy or hard you just change your body position.

TRX has it's downsides too...
    price - it's expensive, you could make your own for cheaper, HOWEVER, it's not going to be as good a quality and it might actually take you more time and money to get it right.

straps are together, this may limit some range of motion (i.e. you cannot do pullups, muscle ups or dips... however with over 200 exercises you can find more than one to work or isolate those same muscles.)

hope this helps someone
    1. Portability: The mounting system for power rings is very simple and just recently got even more so. Also, it's not that hard to find a place to mount ones power rings onto. Lastly, there's a park damn near everywhere these days and in places that there aren't one could probably find a tree or a light post or any stable pole to mount it under....or one could just buy a pull up bar that attaches to the door. Also its small and light enough to just throw in a back pack and jog down to the local park. I've lived at 4 differen't spots for the past couple of years and every single spot had a park or 2 within a couple of miles....a mere minutes of driving time or a couple minutes of jogging time which could be a warm up for the session.

2. W/ the lower body one could just get an adjustable db and do 1 legged leg exercises which are actually better in terms of growth and safety potential (1 legged squats=better for knees, 1 legged sldl=better for back) Also, progression is KING....and w/ the adjustable db or kettle bell you can go fron 10lbs-120lbs and even attach 2 of them if ur strength level gets that advanced. o'course you'd need a dipping belt of some sort which is fairly cheap. Also with this u'd be able to progress well with the upper body exercises using the power rings.

3. Ease of use: Power Rings are stupid easy to use and now it's even more easier to use due to the new mounting system. Hell when i got mines i just installed them instantly w/out the instructions and went right to work. Though i can see it being a problem if you were slow on the uptake

Ohh and yes a begging lifter can definitely hop on this and use it....it's all about leverage....change the leverage is the same as changing the weight....so instead of being 90 degrees you can be 70 and make it a lot easier. I've actually done something similar to drop sets on these bad boys by changing the leverage as to make the exercise lighter after a certain amount of reps (near failure)...so it becomes easier so i could yank out a few more then i do it again just for 3 sets. (3 mini set Drop set).

ok i just watched a vid on the trx and it appears that the new mounting system for the power rings are similar to that but im pretty sure (confident) that the power rings are stronger (can hold way more weight)...so progressiveness would be an issue with this.

Also w/ the trx, lower body progression is as good as um crap...the potential for progressiveness w/ this on the lower body fails very hard....

so why would u pay more for something that lacks progression, and that can't even do power movements (dips, pull ups, some push up variations, muscle ups, and other) when you can just go for something thats a [b]2x cheaper[b] allows room for progression, and a shyt load of variety (your imagination or lack of knowlege of how to get resources on exercises is your limitation). Also check out crossfit.com and see who they recommend for these types of equipment.... (yes you will see Power rings....not TRX, why??? cuz they know whats up )
    PimPin Iron ain't easy, but i do it though...1 plate at a time. So watch how i Get'er done in my workout journal: http://tinyurl.com/

................|
    .............../ \

bump, so what in all did u end up getting?

................|
    .............../ \

Originally Posted by jampsifit View Post
    bump, so what in all did u end up getting?
    Stay tuned...Basically, IM DBs, QuadBlaster, V-Max weighted vest (100 lbs)

luckey1981 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hello,

how are the rogue rings compared with the extreme rings??

"metal vs plastic"