Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    phillipsanchez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phillipsanchez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phillipsanchez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phillipsanchez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phillipsanchez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phillipsanchez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phillipsanchez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phillipsanchez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phillipsanchez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phillipsanchez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phillipsanchez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Fuark no.

It's good to get a bit of an idea of how the game works and form my own idea. Will usually trust players' opinions before critics.

SkillUp is pretty thorough, but I disagree with him on far too much chit to ever trust his advice.

WorthABuy used to be alright, but the dude complains far too much these days as mentioned above that he's just painful to listen to and seems to be ignorant of many positive things in games.
    Though I definitely agree with a lot of his takes, more so than SkillUp.

[_]Living [X]Living Dead nkiritsis13's Avatar
    nkiritsis13 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nkiritsis13 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nkiritsis13 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nkiritsis13 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nkiritsis13 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nkiritsis13 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nkiritsis13 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nkiritsis13 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nkiritsis13 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nkiritsis13 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nkiritsis13 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Youtubers and user reviews are somewhat helpful for getting an understanding, but professional reviews continue to grow more like a vegan reviewing steaks.

A few of the stand out problems with professional games journalists glorified bloggers are:

- They naturally are not reviewing with the consumer in mind since they're not the ones dropping $60-70. Microtransactions and DLC factor into this as well, where outlets like IGN are not nearly as likely to to (rightfully) complain about content stripped out to be sold in in-game stores. Likewise, they are not going to adjust their review when a company decides to add microtransactions well after reviews are out (Call of Duty).

- They might not even be getting the same game/build as everyone else, which they could in turn reflect in their reviews either too negatively or too positively (complaining about things fixed in a Day 1 patch, as bad as the practice is, or cutting a game slack assuming issues will be fixed in a Day 1 patch)

- They might not have even played through the entire game, or even most of it prior to reviewing.

- Games are highly subjective mediums just through genre, and professional reviews aren't going to be forthright in saying, "I got stuck with this assignment and hate X genre, but here it goes..." This can go the opposite direction as well where someone who has a major bias towards a genre or game type gives it raving reviews while overlooking major flaws.

- They let their feelings get in the way, hence bloggers, not journalists.

- It all comes together a bit when professional reviews are so heavily weighted towards the upper end of the scale, so it's like they're grading on a curve, but each outlet has a slightly different curve.

Originally Posted by Coal Man View Post
    Listened to the first 10 seconds and immediately turned off. The type of retard in this video is exactly the kinda reddit nerd this game appeals to.
    That's why I breeze through any of his videos that show up in my feed, but he's far from reddit material because they'd probably have his head on a pike.

As OneLegSquats and philipsanchez both noted though, he's definitely become more "Youtuber-y" and rags on his gimmick more than providing concise criticism/feedback. I guess the same could be said of most video reviews that pad their reviews with way too much faff.

Originally Posted by phillipsanchez View Post
    Fuark no.

It's good to get a bit of an idea of how the game works and form my own idea. Will usually trust players' opinions before critics.

SkillUp is pretty thorough, but I disagree with him on far too much chit to ever trust his advice.

WorthABuy used to be alright, but the dude complains far too much these days as mentioned above that he's just painful to listen to and seems to be ignorant of many positive things in games.
    Though I definitely agree with a lot of his takes, more so than SkillUp.
    Agreed on those points.

SkillUp is one who I find hard to get a read on because he doesn't come across as very consistent. He still gives really good input, especially if a particular game happens to be one where he presents his points more clearly.

In contrast, WorthABuy is more difficult to listen to without fast forwarding these days, but you can at least get an understanding of what he likes or looks for in a specific game to at least get a better idea of what does or does not work for the game he's covering.
    I will stand firm, I refuse to kneel - The fury in me is divine
    My dark grave awaits, my fate is revealed - But I'm not afraid to die

If you have any problems or need advice, feel free to ask