Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Despite the fact that most of the real men here do deadlifts. IN the real world(or atleast at my gym) NO ONE DOES THEM!!
    Seriously NO ONE! I cant belive it. No other excercise is more benificial to the everyday man and woman, no other excercises work as many muscle fibers. Period. I wont even argue about it.

Wich brings me to the one I see everyone doing that is most over rated> Bench press, incline, decline. Whatever.

Its a good mass builder and strength builder. But totally unneccesary for 95% percent of the people wo do them.

PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by TarvMan
    Despite the fact that most of the real men here do deadlifts. IN the real world(or atleast at my gym) NO ONE DOES THEM!!
    Seriously NO ONE! I cant belive it. No other excercise is more benificial to the everyday man and woman, no other excercises work as many muscle fibers. Period. I wont even argue about it.
    The gym where I go is a pretty big place. I'd guess that there are at least a couple hundred semi-regulars in the weights area. I'm also at the place a lot, at least an hour a day five or sometimes six times a week. In over a year of regular attendance, I have seen *maybe* five or six people deadlifting. Maybe.

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Seriously NO ONE! I cant belive it.
    maybe they all have back injuries
    Booo

lucubration has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Really though, I think that most back injuries in older people are due to weak back muscles which deadlifts once a week could help

TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by lucubration
    Really though, I think that most back injuries in older people are due to weak back muscles which deadlifts once a week could help
    tight hamstrings, combined with a loose overstretched lower back is the main problem. Most people foolishly pick things up every day with a bent back.

In order to maximize back strength and avoid injury, it is absolutley imperative that you learn to fold your body through your hips and and have enough flexibility in the hamstrings and glutes to allow yourself to do so.

BLiSS420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    tight hamstrings, combined with a loose overstretched lower back is the main problem. Most people foolishly pick things up every day with a bent back.

In order to maximize back strength and avoid injury, it is absolutley imperative that you learn to fold your body through your hips and and have enough flexibility in the hamstrings and glutes to allow yourself to do so.
    hey man always lookin for ways to strengthen/protect my lower back (coz its kinda messed).. what do you mean by fold at the hips and how can i improve flexibility? just stretchin?

lucubration has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you know on some boxes it says lift with legs not with back.

Like that.......

-NyTro- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by amusclehead
    maybe they all have back injuries
    lol

In my gym, I have seen two people deadlift. 3 if you count myself :|

Seahawk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Seahawk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Seahawk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Seahawk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Seahawk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Seahawk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Seahawk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Seahawk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Seahawk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Seahawk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Seahawk has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    UNDERRATED : squats
    I'm the only one in my gym who does Squats...

OVERRATED : pushdowns , machine butterflys, 200rep crunches, leg extentions.

a typcal tricep routine in my gym :
    straight bar pushodwns
    V bar pushdowns
    rope bar pushdowns

a typcal chest routine in my gym :
    flat bench
    incline bench
    db flys
    machine flys
    opt. : cable crossover

PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by Seahawk
    UNDERRATED : squats
    I'm the only one in my gym who does Squats...
    While not by any means common, squats are not as rare as deadlifts in the gym where I go. From what I've heard, that may be because squats are a part of many weight-training regimens for high school and college athletes, thus many people are exposed to them and sometimes continue doing them even after they're out of school.

awesome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesome is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    overrated: DB bench press
    underrated BB bench press

i know you will all call me a noob now but i notice on this board almost everybody says DB is far better. well i am still geting better results with a normal BB press.
    My only desire is to be the best !

Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    overrated:
    stiff legged dead lifts (I hate doing them and don't find them very effective)
    lunges (not very effective, but unlike sldls I'll still do them once in a while)
    dips (Dips are good, but they are NOT the most effective chest exercise)

underrated:
    decline bench press (a good chest exercise that hardly anyone does)
    incline dumbell curls (another good exercise few people do)
    reverse grip pressdowns (good for hitting the long head of the tricep)

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally posted by Tim

booooooooooo, dips > all
    Booo

Shutup and lift...bitches Wheelies's Avatar
    Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wheelies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by Tim
    overrated:
    stiff legged dead lifts (I hate doing them and don't find them very effective)
    lunges (not very effective, but unlike sldls I'll still do them once in a while)

underrated:
    decline bench press (a good chest exercise that hardly anyone does)
    incline dumbell curls (another good exercise few people do)
    reverse grip pressdowns (good for hitting the long head of the tricep)
    1. SLDL's are very good for hamstrings if done correctly.
    2. I dont know about your gym, but alot of people decline becasue they can handle more weight, I actually feel that decline is an overrated exercise

AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by amusclehead
    booooooooooo, dips > all

Blah!

IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Under rated - Dips

Over rated - Flat Bench

Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally posted by awesome
    overrated: DB bench press
    underrated BB bench press

i know you will all call me a noob now but i notice on this board almost everybody says DB is far better. well i am still geting better results with a normal BB press.
    BB bench works better for me too.

lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I think that reverse grip bench is underrated. Great triceps workout.
    6'3'' 220lbs
    305 Bench Press
    225 Military Press
    400lb Dead Lift

midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by Tim

i know i'm just gonne be in repeat but dips are has great has any chest exercise

many people drop bench and do chest dips alone, i did it for some time and found it gave me the same gains

GentlemanE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Over: Overweight people working abs more than once a week, especially with no resistance, expecting to trim down their waists. You! Get back on the cardio machines!

Under: Deadlifts. Besides myself there is only one other person in the gym that I have ever seen do deadlifts out of hundreds!

Squats are close second. Very few people in our gym do squats. So many big chests. So many chicken legs!

These boards have been extremely educational for me. I've learned more in the last year hanging out here, and made bigger gains in the last year, than I did in the previous 13 years combined.

corpsedub is a name known to all. (+5000) corpsedub is a name known to all. (+5000) corpsedub is a name known to all. (+5000) corpsedub is a name known to all. (+5000) corpsedub is a name known to all. (+5000) corpsedub is a name known to all. (+5000) corpsedub is a name known to all. (+5000) corpsedub is a name known to all. (+5000) corpsedub is a name known to all. (+5000) corpsedub is a name known to all. (+5000) corpsedub is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i can only say this:

at my gym, the bench press is king...i think im the only one there that does deads.
    "The more sand that has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it."

**KNEE DRAGGERS UNITE**
    06 R1 raven
    02 CBR1100xx
    02 DRZ 400s

NO MERCY is just really nice. (+1000) NO MERCY is just really nice. (+1000) NO MERCY is just really nice. (+1000) NO MERCY is just really nice. (+1000) NO MERCY is just really nice. (+1000) NO MERCY is just really nice. (+1000) NO MERCY is just really nice. (+1000) NO MERCY is just really nice. (+1000) NO MERCY is just really nice. (+1000) NO MERCY is just really nice. (+1000) NO MERCY is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by SloopJB
    Over - I know most people swear by them but Skullcrushers have never hit the spot for me.

Under - weighted Pull ups & Dips. A lot of people do pull ups or dips but I seem to be the only one to do them weighted, the rest just seem happy to bang out the same reps each week.
    I agree with the under rated

kappadonna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kappadonna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kappadonna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kappadonna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kappadonna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kappadonna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kappadonna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kappadonna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kappadonna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kappadonna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kappadonna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    This forum is fugged up...

Whats wrong with flat BB???

midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by kappadonna

it doesn't come close to best chest builder

kappadonna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kappadonna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kappadonna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kappadonna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kappadonna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kappadonna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kappadonna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kappadonna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kappadonna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kappadonna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kappadonna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by midian
    it doesn't come close to best chest builder
    which is....?

Honestly, I am still learning...please tell me

ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I bet he's talking about dips.

In my gym:
    Overrated: tricep kickbacks

Underrated: Squats, I'm the only person that I've ever seen use the rack besides some guy shrugging in it.

On this board:
    Overrated: Dips. Yeah they are good, but jeez people, they aren't everything

Underrated: Incline press. People are too busy shoving dips to notice the rest of the pec that this works.
    I'd rather be lifting.

lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Pec deck has to be on the list of overrated. I see people do it all the time and I can't help but think about what a huge waist of time it is.
    6'3'' 220lbs
    305 Bench Press
    225 Military Press
    400lb Dead Lift

Just cause you don't agree with one person's opinion doesn't mean that the entire forum is "fugged up."
    6'3'' 220lbs
    305 Bench Press
    225 Military Press
    400lb Dead Lift

which is....?

Honestly, I am still learning...please tell me
    chest dips, it's been covered that the only exercise you need for chest is ches dips, like D&G used to say they are like squats for the upper body, people THINK they do them correct but i haven't seen many people using perfect form trueout the exercise, lean foward, (try weighted), look down (this one is important, many people look up when they are going up but keep looking down), then FULL rom and elbows fairly close to body that will work the chest and tri's like nothing else

saying dips won't work the chest is like saying squats don't hit the quads

i challenge anybody to do perfect dips and drop flat Bb bench and they will see the same and even better results

(i'm such a ches dip disciple )

Bardock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by ahab

On this board:
    Overrated: Dips. Yeah they are good, but jeez people, they aren't everything

Underrated: Incline press. People are too busy shoving dips to notice the rest of the pec that this works.
    I am in total agreeance, i like incline presses and think they are great. Also - for some reason i dont feel my chest too much in dips (sometimes straight down the middle, but other from that my tris are working the most). I lean way forward and all but i dont seem to get as much outta them as decline presses. Everyones different though and i spose youve gotta do what works for you.
    Train for strength and size, not ego.