Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I purchased Ironmaster's 75 lb. Quick-Lock DBs today. I'll get the additional 45 lbs soon. The 100 lb. V-Max Vest is also on the way...

http://www.bodybuildingsecrets.com/a...ad_blaster.php
    BTW, the Quad Blaster movement looks interesting. IIUC, a commerical unit isn't in production, but the concept looks simple enough to duplicate.
    Last edited by tpreitzel; 09-10-2007 at 05:09 PM.

Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by tpreitzel View Post
    I purchased Ironmaster's 75 lb. Quick-Lock DBs today. I'll get the additional 45 lbs soon. The 100 lb. V-Max Vest is also on the way...

http://www.bodybuildingsecrets.com/a...ad_blaster.php
    BTW, the Quad Blaster movement looks interesting. IIUC, a commerical unit isn't in production, but the concept looks simple enough to duplicate.
    You will have to post some pics when you get it all man...sounds like your set...but do you have a bench already? Because if you want something small and portable well the Super bench does come to mind...it is only 60lbs..makes a nice bench IMO...

JM

tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Joey Mo View Post
    You will have to post some pics when you get it all man...sounds like your set...but do you have a bench already? Because if you want something small and portable well the Super bench does come to mind...it is only 60lbs..makes a nice bench IMO...

JM
    I have a folding bench already. I may replace it eventually, but it's not a priority. As far as the pictures, I'll post some in about a month or so.

Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have a folding bench already. I may replace it eventually, but it's not a priority. As far as the pictures, I'll post some in about a month or so.
    Gees don't rush it man haha

That aside, what kind of bench do you have?

Gees don't rush it man haha

That aside, what kind of bench do you have?
    It's one of the highest quality benches made, a BOWFLEX! Hardy, har har ..., but I got it cheap. Then again, that's all it's worth!

As in my original post, I'm concerned with the stability of the platform. Personally, I need a multi-purpose platform including a bench which is ONE of the reasons why I acquired an unloved Bowflex years ago. I'm STILL looking for a folding, multi-purpose exercise system which includes a stable, lockable bench. I like the concept of the Total Gym/Body Rail especially if the movements are performed while wearing a weighted vest. Since the Body Rail is made of steel, I'm wondering if the sliding platform is stable and lockable for use as a bench. Any sliding platform seems unstable by definition. If anyone's used the Body Rail, let me hear your opinion.
    Last edited by tpreitzel; 09-10-2007 at 06:53 PM.

bubbytx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Last edited by bubbytx; 09-24-2007 at 06:15 PM.

Originally Posted by bubbytx View Post
    Nice bench...only rated for 500lbs though..fine for me, but I am assuming the op is much stronger than myself lol..

JM

Granrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Granrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Granrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Granrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Granrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Granrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Granrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Granrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Granrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Granrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Granrey will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ok, I did a brief search on portable gyms and found little of value. After decades of lifting, I've finally had it with gyms today for numerous reasons. I want a home gym, but it MUST be portable. Although I have some ideas, I'm looking for more of them. As possible, I'll post here periodically when I find updated information. The basic requirements are:

1. Stability of platform
    2. Versatility
    3. Compactness - severe due to limited space and frequent, i.e. 3x/week, relocation for performing exercises.
    4. Cost

Preferably commerical, but possibly constructed from plans.
    Adjustable dumbbles and something like total gym would be your best choice as long as you get a model in which you can add weights.

I've been lifting weights for almost 10 years and I actually got surprised when I got in touched with the total trainer. This is why:

-You can add weights. It has a bar in which you can add as much weight as you want.

-You safe money on the weights because your own body weight is free of charge. Of course you will need to buy weights to add it to the machine and challenge yourself as a bodybuilder.

-You can do military press, pull ups, squat, and calv related exercises ect. at your own rythm without partner and doing it safe.

-It uses very few space and it is really easy and quick to assemble.

-the variety of exercises and the cost means that you get the best for your money.

At the same time it has some drawbacks:

-This machine is not good for bench press, bicep and leg curls and for these ones you should get the free weights and eventually a bench for arm-leg curls and bench press as well.

-Because I don't like deadlifts and squats, I'll suggest that the bench that you will get eventually for arm and leg curl, should also allow you to do leg extensions.

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Dinotrainer View Post
    Yeah, it's really amazing what can be achieved with the right knowledge and a minimum of equipment.
    Fo' real. We tend to accumulate a bunch of gym equipment cuz' we think we need it. Stupid humans.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No 7
    ()---() York Barbell Club #7 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #13 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #9 -!!!---!!!-

need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I figured this one out a while back.

Its why I just have a bench and some DB weight, it was by necessity but hey, lesson learned.

For your legs.

Try one leg squats, lunges and step ups. Very effective with DB's. If you vary the height of the step ups, it will change the part of the upper leg that is affected, works well IMO. Simple wood boxes work fine.

See if you can rig up a way to do pullups and dips, those are two very effective exercises. Ive actually found weighted pullups to be more effective at building the back/lats than doing heavy rows, weighted dips have their advantages too.
    Last edited by need2eat; 09-25-2007 at 06:49 AM.
    "People are bastard covered bastards, with bastard fillings"

believer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you're looking for portability and quick changes from exercise to exercise, forget the Body Rail. I just returned one yesterday. Plus it takes up a lot of space and did not seem very stable with the rail set at a steep angle. Just my opinion.
    i'm smart as a horse and hung like einstein

i think therefore i can

That bench looks REALLY nice, but I'm really going to need some multipurpose platform which includes a bench like the Bowflex or BodyRail. I know this requirement is less than ideal ... I was really hoping for a system like the BodyRail so I could chin while wearing the vest, but believer returned a unit for the lack of quality... I'll keep looking and hoping something appropraite appears.

Originally Posted by believer View Post
    If you're looking for portability and quick changes from exercise to exercise, forget the Body Rail. I just returned one yesterday. Plus it takes up a lot of space and did not seem very stable with the rail set at a steep angle. Just my opinion.
    I appreciate the information...Unfortunately, I need a "fairly" steep angle, but the platform has to be stable...
    Last edited by tpreitzel; 09-25-2007 at 08:10 PM.

Originally Posted by need2eat View Post
    For your legs.

Try one leg squats, lunges and step ups. Very effective with DB's. If you vary the height of the step ups, it will change the part of the upper leg that is affected, works well IMO. Simple wood boxes work fine.

See if you can rig up a way to do pullups and dips, those are two very effective exercises. Ive actually found weighted pullups to be more effective at building the back/lats than doing heavy rows, weighted dips have their advantages too.

Good advice, I know ... I really want a system like the BodyRail, but the quality seems to be lacking. Portability, flexibility, compactness, stability, and cost ... I'll keep looking. I have a great DB set now plus a great weighted vest so it's a start...

Good advice, I know ... I really want a system like the BodyRail, but the quality seems to be lacking. Portability, flexibility, compactness, stability, and cost ... I'll keep looking. I have a great DB set now plus a great weighted vest so it's a start...
    Post pics! lol...

Originally Posted by Granrey View Post
    Adjustable dumbbles and something like total gym would be your best choice as long as you get a model in which you can add weights.

I've been lifting weights for almost 10 years and I actually got surprised when I got in touched with the total trainer.
    I appreciate the information. I'll look into the Total Trainer. Yeah, I was really hoping for a system like the BodyRail to complement the adjustable DBs and weighted vest.

Is this item the Total Trainer to which you referred?
    http://bigfitness.com/totr20btotog.html
    Last edited by tpreitzel; 09-25-2007 at 08:08 PM.

Post pics! lol...
    Joey,

Go to my BodyBlog. I posted some pictures there! The quality isn't great, but you'll get an idea of the space limitations, equipment, etc.
    Last edited by tpreitzel; 09-25-2007 at 08:14 PM.

Joey,

Go to my BodyBlog. I posted some pictures there! The quality isn't great, but you'll get an idea of the space limitations, equipment, etc.
    How are the ironmasters treating you? lol

JM

Granrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Granrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Granrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Granrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Granrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Granrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Granrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Granrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Granrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Granrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Granrey will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I appreciate the information. I'll look into the Total Trainer. Yeah, I was really hoping for a system like the BodyRail to complement the adjustable DBs and weighted vest.

Is this item the Total Trainer to which you referred?
    http://bigfitness.com/totr20btotog.html
    yes, but you should check on the net. There might more copycats cheaper with the same name.

If you were to get both the bench ( it folds up, rolls, and even has a carrying handle built on) and the dip station (it also folds up) you could do weighted dips from it and at least do weighted "rack pulls" with it also. Not quite the same as true chins, but a decent substitute in a pinch. Check out the site.
    I am not sure how much weight it is rated for though.
    http://www.ultimatebodypress.com/virtuemart/index.php

If you were to get both the bench ( it folds up, rolls, and even has a carrying handle built on) and the dip station (it also folds up) you could do weighted dips from it and at least do weighted "rack pulls" with it also. Not quite the same as true chins, but a decent substitute in a pinch. Check out the site.
    Well that bench is only rated for 500lbs or 600lbs can't remember either way...

The op weighs 190 and looks like he's good to bench with his 120lb im dumbbells...which would be a total of 430...now if the bench is rated at 500lbs...he is awful close to the benches weight capacity..the bench would probobly be wobbling...then again I ahve no clue I am just thinking out loud here..lol

JM

Actually, 70 pounds to spare is a decent cushion IMO. He is asking for things that are portable and quickly and easily moved, and these are both decent items that fit that bill pretty well. Some degree of compromise will come into play of course. The dip stand is rated for 300 btw.

bodyrail has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

BodyRail Quality

Please contact me directly regarding BodyRail's quality. You can email me at pthompson@bodyrail.com. I will be happy to help you with your needs and assure you that our quality is excellent.

Patrick Thompson
    BodyRail, LLC

How are the ironmasters treating you? lol

JM
    Joey,

The IMs are just fine, thank you.

I've adapted to the lock mechanism so it's not a big deal, really. Just ensure the notch is up and twist the knob indicator to match the notch and pull out. As long as I can change a set of IMs in under 60 seconds for any weight, I'm happy... and I can do that already. The quality is very good also.

Originally Posted by Granrey View Post
    yes, but you should check on the net. There might more copycats cheaper with the same name.
    I'll contine to look. For the next couple of months, I have other priorities. I'm still adjusting to my current equipment, but I'll make a couple of additional purchases in due time. Thanks for the information.

As Joey indicates, the capacities might be a little close, but they're workable for the immediate future. I really do need a COMPACT replacement for the Bowflex.

Originally Posted by bodyrail View Post
    Please contact me directly regarding BodyRail's quality. You can email me at pthompson@bodyrail.com. I will be happy to help you with your needs and assure you that our quality is excellent.

Patrick Thompson
    BodyRail, LLC
    Patrick,

I'll get to you in due time. During the next couple of months, I'll be busy elsewhere. I haven't dismissed the BodyRail entirely. I like the concept, but it must be compact, flexible, and stable under load. You can understand that credible opinions from users are important in making informed decisions. Something like the BodyRail in conjunction with the V-Max and IMs QL DBs would be sweet, indeed, if the aforementioned criteria are met.
    Last edited by tpreitzel; 10-01-2007 at 04:59 PM.

bodyrail has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Stability under load....

Have you checked out www.bodyrail.com recently? We just took two BodyRail rails and drove a car up them to prove how strong our machine is. Check out the photo on the website.

Patrick

Patrick -

Here's an opportunity for you to respond to potential buyer's questions in a public forum. Others may consider your company's product as well. First, assume a 200 lb. lifter is using your machine, i.e. the 440i. Add a weighted vest, 100 lbs. maximum, and add 240 lbs for the IM DBs. Will the end plate support such a load? Yes, I do realize that wearing an additional 100 lb. vest is ridiculous while benching, but I want an idea of the BodyRail's stability. The end plate that elevates the platform doesn't look too stable. Furthermore, can the bench be LOCKED into a fixed position? Lastly, does the bench rock laterally while loaded?
    Last edited by tpreitzel; 10-04-2007 at 04:28 PM.

believer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Patrick -

Here's an opportunity for you to respond to potential buyer's questions in a public forum. Others may consider your company's product as well. First, assume a 200 lb. lifter is using your machine, i.e. the 440i. Add a weighted vest, 100 lbs. maximum, and add 240 lbs for the IM DBs. Will the end plate support such a load? Yes, I do realize that wearing an additional 100 lb. vest is ridiculous while benching, but I want an idea of the BodyRail's stability. The end plate that elevates the platform doesn't look too stable. Furthermore, can the bench be LOCKED into a fixed position? Lastly, does the bench rock laterally while loaded?
    In my opinion, the platform (especially when used to squat) was very UNstable. I did not try to elevate the rail so I cannot speak to that, directly. I could only use the unit for a short period before I had to return it so I didn't try everything but I do not believe the bench can be locked. I did not notice it rocking. Realize, though, your bench press is going to be severly limited due to the fact that you're seated with no back support so your balance (or your abs) will give out long before your chest does.
    To be fair, it can be wall mounted which would make it more stable at steeper inclines but, as I mentioned earlier, it was almost collapsing on itself when I was doing a chest press at a rather steep angle.
    i'm smart as a horse and hung like einstein

i think therefore i can