Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    unicornsRreal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unicornsRreal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unicornsRreal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unicornsRreal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unicornsRreal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unicornsRreal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unicornsRreal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unicornsRreal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unicornsRreal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unicornsRreal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unicornsRreal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by hessunit View Post
    If you want big arms, do arm exercises. If you want to work your back, do back exercises like pullups, chins, rows.....blah blah blah. Obviously, any pulling movement will work your arms to some extent, although I don't know why people are saying it works your triceps (with exception of behind the neck pulldowns or pullups working the long head of the triceps). Either way, your are muscles are simply synergists in these exercises. You will get more gains focussing on exercises where the muscle you want to grow is the prime mover.

oh yeah....and if you're trolling...eff off douchebag.
    i do not get it. why waste time doing curls if pullups do it all. the military makes new recruits do pullups and pushups. if they are good for the military they are good enough for me. pullups will get my arms big quick. curls are for people not strong enough to do pullups. sorry if that makes people mad.

BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
    It's not because your big. It's because the sh*t you posted was inaccurate. Abs don't play that big a role in pull ups.
    I only said that because in my experience with pull ups thats where i feel alot of the strain, and yeah thats because the lower half of my body weighs about the same as a line backer in high school. but it still shows that abs Play a part in that motion. Stabilizing the lower body so its not swinging all over the place.

Immagine if pull ups ddnt recruit the core muscles people would have to stand 5 feet away from anyone doing pull ups to avoid getting Ko'd by a ragdoll roundhouse

I may have been liberal with the word "work" in my original post but if a workout recruits a muscle group your'e still working that muscle group.
    Last edited by BigD_SEVA; 03-23-2010 at 11:41 AM.
    [300 Spartan Crew]

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by unicornsRreal View Post
    i do not get it. why waste time doing curls if pullups do it all. the military makes new recruits do pullups and pushups. if they are good for the military they are good enough for me. pullups will get my arms big quick. curls are for people not strong enough to do pullups. sorry if that makes people mad.
    You are right, brah! All of what you said makes sense!

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    im new here and need advice bad. people give good answers here. will pullups make my arms bigger. people at the gym confuse me. the big guys say no and the little guys say yes. who is right and who is wrong. im thinking about buying a pullup bar to work on them. what do you guys think.

thank you for any help.
    wow strong innocently asking for help then answering yourself with conviction.
    Time To Re-Schedule

Talos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Talos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Talos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Talos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Talos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Talos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Talos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Talos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Talos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Talos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Talos will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    we talking pullups or chinups?
    when i do pullups i clearly feel it in my back
    when i do chinups its about 50/50 but my bi's usually give out b4 my back does....

.international has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .international has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .international has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .international has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .international has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .international has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .international has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .international has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .international has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Will pullups make my dong bigger?

Talos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Talos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Talos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Talos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Talos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Talos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Talos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Talos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Talos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Talos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Talos will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by .international View Post
    log it

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Tyrbolift View Post
    wow strong innocently asking for help then answering yourself with conviction.
    unicornsRreal is Im2Manly

obvious troll attempt

funny 180 degree user name change though
    Who was this love of yours?

Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by BigD_SEVA View Post
    I only said that because in my experience with pull ups thats where i feel alot of the strain, and yeah thats because the lower half of my body weighs about the same as a line backer in high school. but it still shows that abs Play a part in that motion. Stabilizing the lower body so its not swinging all over the place.

Immagine if pull ups ddnt recruit the core muscles people would have to stand 5 feet away from anyone doing pull ups to avoid getting Ko'd by a ragdoll roundhouse

I may have been liberal with the word "work" in my original post but if a workout recruits a muscle group your'e still working that muscle group.
    they do play a part, but do you really think that's the limiting factor? i really doubt it.

BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000)
    in my case i do, if my abs were stronger then i could do a pull up no doubt. Seeing as how Ive maxed out the resistance on some of the machines at my gym for crunches im working using my own body as resistance now. I expect to be able to do pull ups quite soon
    Last edited by BigD_SEVA; 03-23-2010 at 12:26 PM.
    [300 Spartan Crew]

dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Pullups are great! They are what's called a compound exercise. They work multiple body parts. You can also move your grip around to target specific muscles. I'm currently doing pullups with a wide curl grip. I'll do close grip chins. Hammer grip pullups. Great for working: back, shoulders, tris, bis, & yes the abs (from a stability point).

Curls are iso moves, targeting just the biceps.

Both can make your arms bigger, but pullups will help you work towards a better overall appearance.

dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by .international View Post
    only if you hang from it

DerReise will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerReise will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerReise will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerReise will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerReise will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerReise will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerReise will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerReise will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerReise will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerReise will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerReise will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    How do some people say that chin ups won't make your bis grow?

What is the role of the bicep? What movement is better than chin ups at fulfilling that role?

Go ahead, slap 2 45 pound plates to a belt and do a dead hang chin up. Come back to me and tell me your bis won't grow when that happens.

There is no reason someone shouldn't do pull ups for back, and use chin ups as a main bicep exercise, above even the often-heralded "standing barbell straight bar curl".

OP, I don't know if you're trolling but this is important for those who actually want to know and might be browsing the thread:

Don't swing, use your core to stabilize yourself, go all the way up, go all the way back down, and repeat. Once you can rather easily do 8-10, start adding weight. Not only will your biceps grow, but your lats will get destroyed too. So that is an added benefit, even if that's not what you're originally using chins for.

Doesn't mean it should be the only exercise you do for them, as variety is key, but if its the only option, yes it will more than make your bis grow.

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by KSwizzy View Post
    How do some people say that chin ups won't make your bis grow?

What is the role of the bicep? What movement is better than chin ups at fulfilling that role?

Go ahead, slap 2 45 pound plates to a belt and do a dead hang chin up. Come back to me and tell me your bis won't grow when that happens.

There is no reason someone shouldn't do pull ups for back, and use chin ups as a main bicep exercise, above even the often-heralded "standing barbell straight bar curl".

OP, I don't know if you're trolling but this is important for those who actually want to know and might be browsing the thread:

Don't swing, use your core to stabilize yourself, go all the way up, go all the way back down, and repeat. Once you can rather easily do 8-10, start adding weight. Not only will your biceps grow, but your lats will get destroyed too. So that is an added benefit, even if that's not what you're originally using chins for.

Doesn't mean it should be the only exercise you do for them, as variety is key, but if its the only option, yes it will more than make your bis grow.
    Oh, they'll make your bi's grow, but I've never seen a bodybuilder, natural or not, who thought they were sufficient enough to be their only bi exercise.
    Time To Re-Schedule

grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Why not just try it and see?
    GOMAD!

Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    in my case i do, if my abs were stronger then i could do a pull up no doubt. Seeing as how Ive maxed out the resistance on some of the machines at my gym for crunches im working using my own body as resistance now. I expect to be able to do pull ups quite soon
    what is your back strength like? and arms? honestly, i REALLY doubt abs are a limiting factor. like REALLY REALLY doubt it.

Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
    what is your back strength like? and arms? honestly, i REALLY doubt abs are a limiting factor. like REALLY REALLY doubt it.
    im not trying to be billy bad ass, no joke I hope im not coming off like that. I have never really tested my back strength i know that one armed row on a machine i can do close to 100 pounds 4 reps lower back ive never tested but it can do waist up + a plate to my chest probably more
    [300 Spartan Crew]

Chupacabra Supreme! Big_Carphuna's Avatar
    Big_Carphuna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big_Carphuna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big_Carphuna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big_Carphuna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big_Carphuna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big_Carphuna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big_Carphuna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big_Carphuna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big_Carphuna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big_Carphuna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big_Carphuna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by dday39 View Post
    only if you hang from it
    Worked for me, I can now see it.

Yes. I'm bigger than you. hessunit's Avatar
    hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000)
    THIS IS BODYBUILDING.com, not I want to be in the military.com. I am 270+ pounds right now. I train as a bodybuilder. I can do 8-10 wide grip full hang pullups. I also do curls. Now, not to get in a pissing contest here, but I WOULD not have arms over 20 inches if I had relied on pullups alone. It's simple. You asked if pullups would make your arms bigger. Sure. A little bit.

Imagine if you got off your butt and hit a stairmaster for a half hour a day 7 days a week. Imagine how easy pullups would be in a few months! Your abs are engaging so much because you are most likely bringing your legs up in a failed attempt to use momentum to get your big a$$ up high enough so you can say you finally did a bloody pullup.

in my case i do, if my abs were stronger then i would have strong abs, no doubt. Seeing as how Ive never maxed out the resistance on some of the pulldown machines at my gym, it makes sense that I can't do a pullup
    More accurate ^^^

Serious dude, can you even do the negative of 1 pullup?
    Lift smart.

I rear ended a car this morning...the driver that got out of the other car was a dwarf !!
    He looked up at me and said "I am NOT Happy!"
    So I said, "Well, which one ARE you then?"
    That's how the fight started.

"The two best activities for your health are pumping and humping"
    Arnold Swarzenegger

....done. Phew.

Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Tyrbolift View Post
    Oh, they'll make your bi's grow, but I've never seen a bodybuilder, natural or not, who thought they were sufficient enough to be their only bi exercise.
    Exactly my point i have been trying to say for the last 8 weeks..
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ''Bro, get yourself under control lol next thing we know Illy is gonna be 175 lbs, addicted to coke, involved in gang activity, and with a 365 max deadlift... ''-Blizzard589
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    never done isolation movements for bis and have close to 16 inch arms which is good for my size. idc what you guys say i swear by chinups and hammer grip pullups for bis

Originally Posted by hessunit View Post
    Imagine if you got off your butt and hit a stairmaster for a half hour a day 7 days a week. Imagine how easy pullups would be in a few months! Your abs are engaging so much because you are most likely bringing your legs up in a failed attempt to use momentum to get your big a$$ up high enough so you can say you finally did a bloody pullup.

Serious dude, can you even do the negative of 1 pullup?
    i can pull myself up maybe half the way and then the tightness in my abs gets unbearable, literally feels like im ripping my muscles in half
    [300 Spartan Crew]

Registered User blazing_hellion's Avatar
    blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i can pull myself up maybe half the way and then the tightness in my abs gets unbearable, literally feels like im ripping my muscles in half
    ...what?

I'm sorry but how exactly does that work? are you bringing your knees up to your chest or something? Cuz i just tried every way i can think of to do pullups and thats the ONLY time i really felt it in my abs at all. and mind you my abs are killing me from yesterdays and todays training.

i dont mean to sound like a dick at all but how can you say your abs are what preventing you from doing a pull up? yes they do stabalize your lower body from going all over the place and all but you cant say they prevent you from doing one. I know people with very wear core muscles but can do pullups just fine. not many, but they can.

why not show a vid how you do them. cuz it sounds like your not doing something right combined with not having enough strength.

As for original question, I think they can to some extent. Since you can do chin ups and add weight and in the end your bi could be using more weight than they normally could, even though the back would be taking the bigger part of it. But if you want massive 20 inch arms you might wanna add a few other effective bicep execises. Plus tricep exercises since the tricep is about 2/3 of your upper arm. Im kinda surprised noones mentioned that. Or if someone has i missed it. lolz
    Last edited by blazing_hellion; 03-24-2010 at 12:01 AM.

liftNfish is on a distinguished road. (+10) liftNfish is on a distinguished road. (+10) liftNfish is on a distinguished road. (+10) liftNfish is on a distinguished road. (+10) liftNfish is on a distinguished road. (+10) liftNfish is on a distinguished road. (+10) liftNfish is on a distinguished road. (+10) liftNfish is on a distinguished road. (+10) liftNfish is on a distinguished road. (+10) liftNfish is on a distinguished road. (+10) liftNfish is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    clive has spoken.

/thread
    meet force with force