Page 2 of 127 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast
    sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Creature83 View Post
    I don't think canned stuff ever goes bad if stored properly. Hell if SHTF and all i have is a 11 year old can of beans best believe ima tear into that ****. I think your best bet is to get foods like rice that don't take up a lot of space but can sustain you for a long time. If all else fails we can always grill the whores.

Word! Rice is good when you're hungry and want 1,000 of something.
    "The gods of the valleys are not the gods of the mountains"
    -U.S. Army Mountain Warfare School motto

Exotic Game Hunter NuggzTheNinja's Avatar
    NuggzTheNinja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NuggzTheNinja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NuggzTheNinja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NuggzTheNinja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NuggzTheNinja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NuggzTheNinja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NuggzTheNinja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NuggzTheNinja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NuggzTheNinja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NuggzTheNinja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NuggzTheNinja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Canned tuna is great AND it's a dual use product. You can drink the oil for extra calories, OR you can do the following with the oil:

In the field here, sometimes we want to cook stuff (like spam because it tastes like **** uncooked) but we don't want to lug around cooking stoves. So what do we do? Hmmm, spare (unused obviously) toilet paper, a lighter, and tuna...what does that make? A stove, or if need be, a candle.

Pop the top of the canned tuna (DO NOT REMOVE THE OIL) and remove the lid, place it on a clean surface so it doesn't get too dirty. This is what you're going to cook on.

Now take from your pack a piece of unused toilet paper, a couple sheets layed on top of each other does fine, and place it on top of the opened tuna can. Press gently so that the entire paper stack begins to soak in the tuna's oil. Once it's nicely soaked in oil, light it.

It acts sort of as a wick, and burns reasonably hot. Now take two other objects and prop up the tuna lid, place it over the flame, and whatever you want to cook (small pieces of meat or whatever), place on top of the lid. As props, I use either pieces of cardboard I cut from our combat rations boxes or, if i'm with a buddy, we open our multitools and jam then into the ground plyers down so that the handles form a little 4 leg structure, then just sit the lid on top. Alternatively, two empty M16 magazines on their sides form reasonably good props but I wouldn't risk damaging them if I was in a serious survival scenario. Here everything runs through a supply chain and this thing doesn't generate nearly enough heat to screw up a mag.

It's not great for cooking stuff that NEEDS to be cooked, but it'll warm something up and provide a little bit of heat and light if you want.

Enjoy.
    This account was created for the purpose of roleplaying and satire. All posts, messages, images, or other media produced by this Bodybuilding.com profile, including stories, names, references to characters and incidents, and views expressed, are fictitious and intended as parody. No identification or association with actual persons (living or deceased), places, buildings, or products is intended or should be inferred.

Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by NuggzTheNinja View Post
    Canned tuna is great AND it's a dual use product. You can drink the oil for extra calories, OR you can do the following with the oil:

In the field here, sometimes we want to cook stuff (like spam because it tastes like **** uncooked) but we don't want to lug around cooking stoves. So what do we do? Hmmm, spare (unused obviously) toilet paper, a lighter, and tuna...what does that make? A stove, or if need be, a candle.

Pop the top of the canned tuna (DO NOT REMOVE THE OIL) and remove the lid, place it on a clean surface so it doesn't get too dirty. This is what you're going to cook on.

Now take from your pack a piece of unused toilet paper, a couple sheets layed on top of each other does fine, and place it on top of the opened tuna can. Press gently so that the entire paper stack begins to soak in the tuna's oil. Once it's nicely soaked in oil, light it.

It acts sort of as a wick, and burns reasonably hot. Now take two other objects and prop up the tuna lid, place it over the flame, and whatever you want to cook (small pieces of meat or whatever), place on top of the lid. As props, I use either pieces of cardboard I cut from our combat rations boxes or, if i'm with a buddy, we open our multitools and jam then into the ground plyers down so that the handles form a little 4 leg structure, then just sit the lid on top. Alternatively, two empty M16 magazines on their sides form reasonably good props but I wouldn't risk damaging them if I was in a serious survival scenario. Here everything runs through a supply chain and this thing doesn't generate nearly enough heat to screw up a mag.

It's not great for cooking stuff that NEEDS to be cooked, but it'll warm something up and provide a little bit of heat and light if you want.

Enjoy.
    Dang sweet advice. Never heard of doing something like that, but definitely good advice. I like finding stuff that shows you how to use EVERYTHING with no waste. The more you can use without throwing anything away the better when it comes to living off of minimums

edit: "You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later."
    Don't complain about the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do.

Creature83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Creature83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Creature83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Creature83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Creature83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Creature83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Creature83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Creature83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Creature83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Creature83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Creature83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Here is a good forum to buy survival gear. http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=7&f=126
    "When you give up liberty for security you lose both."

"Whoever controls the energy controls the people who need the energy"

sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by NuggzTheNinja View Post

Enjoy.
    But what if it's packed in water?

j/k im not that stupid! Sure enough though, I've heard of using leftover animal fats for fuel in emergency situations, I was skeptical and wanted to try for myself..... sure enough, that stuff burns pretty good and pretty consistently
    Reps to you good sir!

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've been expecting TEOTWAWKI for half my life, lol.

So I've lived for more than two decades in my retreat in a small community, mostly farming. You still have to have a life.

If the inevitable zombie invasion or comet strike or killer plague struck, I'd bug in, not out.

If you don't live in a defensible place now, then you will be in terrible trouble if and when the balloon goes up.

***Misc Ikariam Crue*** morgansd12's Avatar
    morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by sugicalmike View Post
    but whose covering your back?

Remember, in a zombie outbreak, no place is safe..... only safer than the last.
    True words son.

The way the homes in our community are built is tactically a good zombie defensive method. There are 3 ways in, the garage, the side door, and the ground guest door which I have fenced off with 2 layers of locking gates already.

The garage is a no brainer.

The side door only leads to the staircase which is a tactically superior position to defend. Again, a no brainer.

That leaves me pretty safe on my rooftop patio, which if need be we can jump from roof to roof....or at least some of us can. Those without breast implants and/or guns will be sacrificed to keep the zombies at bay if need be. Fatties never would have stood a chance anyway lets just be honest here.
    **************M*********
    World > Laltoios[80:89] > WineSkillz

Originally Posted by morgansd12 View Post
    True words son.

The way the homes in our community are built is tactically a good zombie defensive method. There are 3 ways in, the garage, the side door, and the ground guest door which I have fenced off with 2 layers of locking gates already.

The garage is a no brainer.

The side door only leads to the staircase which is a tactically superior position to defend. Again, a no brainer.

That leaves me pretty safe on my rooftop patio, which if need be we can jump from roof to roof....or at least some of us can. Those without breast implants and/or guns will be sacrificed to keep the zombies at bay if need be. Fatties never would have stood a chance anyway lets just be honest here.
    Haha, without guns or breast implants..... priceless!

The manual says you should destroy your staircase if at all possible (Not by burning) as long as you have another escape route or believe you'll have enough supplies on the upper levels.

I think I have my new platform for my BOB! I ordered a RAPTOR X-3 pack from Blackhawk industries..... that thing is f*ing sweet! It's got more room than I'd know what to do with, an internal resevoir, attachment points everywhere and it's damned near indestructible!
    I'll be ready miscers! Follow me!

Taken and not looking LatinaLoca's Avatar
    LatinaLoca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LatinaLoca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LatinaLoca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LatinaLoca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LatinaLoca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LatinaLoca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LatinaLoca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LatinaLoca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LatinaLoca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LatinaLoca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LatinaLoca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Sub'd!!! Interesting thread!
    Sheepdog # 16
    ...she's an angel with no halo and one wing in the fire...
    ~If you can't bother to thank somebody for the help they gave don't bother asking for it again.~
    TwiloMike, never forgotten. RIP
    "Strength and power are only gained through perseverance." Tryn2getstrong

Originally Posted by LatinaLoca View Post
    Sub'd!!! Interesting thread!
    The Boyscouts aren't the only one's who're going to be prepared..... we'll run circles around those little bastards!

half asian/half amazin'. anthrofighter's Avatar
    anthrofighter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) anthrofighter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) anthrofighter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) anthrofighter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) anthrofighter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) anthrofighter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) anthrofighter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) anthrofighter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) anthrofighter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) anthrofighter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) anthrofighter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Creature83 View Post
    I don't think canned stuff ever goes bad if stored properly. Hell if SHTF and all i have is a 11 year old can of beans best believe ima tear into that ****. I think your best bet is to get foods like rice that don't take up a lot of space but can sustain you for a long time. If all else fails we can always grill the whores.
    that reminds me, whats your guys favorite canned chili.

Originally Posted by anthrofighter View Post
    that reminds me, whats your guys favorite canned chili.
    Stag FTW!

I gotta find this other ****, it was vaccum sealed in a plastic bag, my mom got a 5lb. bag for my roomates and me, that **** tasted great!

FutureFoe is just really nice. (+1000) FutureFoe is just really nice. (+1000) FutureFoe is just really nice. (+1000) FutureFoe is just really nice. (+1000) FutureFoe is just really nice. (+1000) FutureFoe is just really nice. (+1000) FutureFoe is just really nice. (+1000) FutureFoe is just really nice. (+1000) FutureFoe is just really nice. (+1000) FutureFoe is just really nice. (+1000) FutureFoe is just really nice. (+1000)
    Great Thread!

Post any websites pertaining to disaster preparedness and survival equipment.

http://www.survivalinstinct.com/

By the way, what kinds of firearms do yall have? I have an AK-47, Glock G30 .45, and of course the ol' trusty 12 gauge. I need to add a scoped rifle to the mix though.
    BS, CSCS

******official misc photography crew******

BlueBayou is a name known to all. (+5000) BlueBayou is a name known to all. (+5000) BlueBayou is a name known to all. (+5000) BlueBayou is a name known to all. (+5000) BlueBayou is a name known to all. (+5000) BlueBayou is a name known to all. (+5000) BlueBayou is a name known to all. (+5000) BlueBayou is a name known to all. (+5000) BlueBayou is a name known to all. (+5000) BlueBayou is a name known to all. (+5000) BlueBayou is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hardcore survivalist here. We are prepared for anything from a hurricane or tornado to TSHTF to TEOTWAWKI. Large and stocked fallout shelter, massive preps and all. My local community can live(and defend) indefinately on its own when it comes to that. I am lucky in that my extended family and friends lives in a close, isolated rural area and we 'be prepared' and are a tight-nit community. We will hopefully be one of those communities to survive unless we are very unfortunate, or attacked by an overwhelming welfare monkey force in the aftermath.

Word! Rice is good when you're hungry and want 1,000 of something.
    Yep. Currently ... 100 lbs rice = 100 rds of 7.62 x 39 or .223/5.56 ammo.
    Thats subject to inflation of rice vs ammo and local bartering effects and all that...

Originally Posted by jgreystoke View Post
    I've been expecting TEOTWAWKI for half my life, lol.

So I've lived for more than two decades in my retreat in a small community, mostly farming. You still have to have a life.

If the inevitable zombie invasion or comet strike or killer plague struck, I'd bug in, not out.

If you don't live in a defensible place now, then you will be in terrible trouble if and when the balloon goes up.
    Its coming. Youve known it just like I and others have. You are right about defense as well. And the need for this issue grows by the day as the monkey gangbanger crowd grows stronger ...

Just be ready, be prepared, and think 'community'. Dont think as though you are preparing for individual or isolationist survival - think community survival. An isolationist survivalist approach will not work. Community survival.
    Last edited by BlueBayou; 07-28-2008 at 08:18 PM.

Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Steak_n_Taters has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by FutureFoe View Post
    Great Thread!

By the way, what kinds of firearms do yall have? I have an AK-47, Glock G30 .45, and of course the ol' trusty 12 gauge. I need to add a scoped rifle to the mix though.
    http://www.survivalblog.com/ if I didn't already post it. He is sort of gloom and doom I guess, but keeps up with current events very acticely.

Right now I pack a .303 Enfield for my long range scoped rifle, unscoped AR-15, and a CZ75b 9mm.

Next things on the list are a smaller handgun for easier concealed carry and an ak47 or sks.

What, in your opinion, is the best Ak47 under $500? I want something accurate out to 100 yards with no scope, but I hear that can be hard to find in the cheaper ones. I haven't done too much research myself yet.

My favorite brand of caned chili is regular wolf brand no beans (yes Texan)

I've also been stocking up on "junk" silver. The pre 1965 quarter is very recognizable, not super easy to make fakes of, and 90% silver. If for some reason cash money goes out the window, small amounts of silver ought to be a viable way to trade/pay for stuff. Most people (especially older people) know that all 1964 and before quarters and dimes are 90% silver. Spot price on those is a little over $3 a pop worth of silver. Also, if the Sdoesn'tHTF, they still have collector value, so win win. Just something to consider. Precious metal investing is almost never a bad idea. Gold is a good way to hide wealth too, but the smallest denominations are still worth around $100 spot price.

edit: just wanted to ask, what do your ammo stockpiles look like?

Right now I've got about 3000 rounds of 9mm, 1000 .223, and 150 of .303

I have a couple hundred more in 9mm and .223 but those are just build up for my next range/shooting session and don't really count as my reserve.

I really need to up the .303 it's just so freakin expensive. Any good heavy grain ammo is like $2 a round. My plan is once I get an AK it will be come my short range tac rifle, and I'll get some nice optics for the AR and it will become the long range "sniping" rifle. I shoot it more accurately than the .303 anyway. Then I can keep the .303 for the big stuff... in case the welfare zombies attack while riding elephants or bears or something.

Trying to keep my calibers to a minimum. Ideally I want a Scoped AR15, AK47, CZ75B, REM 870, and a 1911 or G30, with 10,000 rounds for each.

If I'm still able to buy guns when I can afford more, I'd also like to get an AR-10 to be the real replacement for the .303

My friends can't figure out where my money goes to and why when we go out I always eat and drink as cheap as possible haha
    Last edited by Steak_n_Taters; 07-29-2008 at 06:36 AM.

If you are planning to go out and buy another round of food for storage, do it sooner rather than later...

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/Story?id=5445433&page=1

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Great Thread!

Makes me feel less lonely

I wouldn't tell everyone exactly what you've got, how much ammo, where you are etc.

The AK and the Glock will likely outlast almost any substitutes fulfulling the same tactical roles. And a good 12 gauge pump is great, but substitute the AK if you step outside your back door.

So you are well covered.

Get a scoped rifle, preferably .308, and preferably something military. Military stuff, even rebarreled surplus mausers, are so much more rugged than commercial sporters. Then virtually everything except a rimfire survival gun is covered.

I'd recommend a Ruger 10-22 with a Volquartsen trigger installed to reduce the trigger pull to under 3lbs. That does more for its accuracy than an aftermarket heavy barrel. Ideal small game rifle. Buy ammo by the multiple bricks(500) when you've found something the barrel really likes.

The only folding stock I like is the Butler Creek, cheap and very sturdy. Rifle fits in a knapsack. Warne make the best steel Quick Detatchable mounts for a scope. Get a 3-9X. The low end magnification must be no higher than about 3X. That's even usable in the house across a room, or if someone surprises you up close. Quick detatch mounts allow you to use irons, but only if you have the time. Even a rimfire might have to do as a duty firearm, if it is what you have in your hand in an emergency.

You know.... all in all, there's only one thing in any scenario that worries me. Short from another power invading us, Im not frettin' much over famines, plagues or even zombies....

I am however worried about people. In the LE talk thread an article was posted about wolves, sheep and sheepdogs..... in this kind of situation we're likened to the sheepdogs(the prepared and dedicated few trying to stem the tide), Im not to worried about the wolves (the bad guys/looters/zombies), but I am worried about the sheep, the mindless masses that'll erupt into mass hysteria when social order collapses. Scary thought about what to do with a million or so people within 50 miles of me that'll be ****ting bricks if The Fall comes.

Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I was wondering when anyone would point out that a rimfire can be had for less than a bill and ammo will always be far cheaper than centerfire anything.

Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You know.... all in all, there's only one thing in any scenario that worries me. Short from another power invading us, Im not frettin' much over famines, plagues or even zombies....

I am however worried about people. In the LE talk thread an article was posted about wolves, sheep and sheepdogs..... in this kind of situation we're likened to the sheepdogs(the prepared and dedicated few trying to stem the tide), Im not to worried about the wolves (the bad guys/looters/zombies), but I am worried about the sheep, the mindless masses that'll erupt into mass hysteria when social order collapses. Scary thought about what to do with a million or so people within 50 miles of me that'll be ****ting bricks if The Fall comes.
    Get away from them. I guess I'm lucky - I already live thirty miles away from civilization.

Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    Get away from them. I guess I'm lucky - I already live thirty miles away from civilization.
    Geno.... Im coming to your house!

Nah, I've got a fallback spot, but I gotta skirt around the outside of Lansing to get there, and there's people in Lansing..... I hate people.

Geno.... Im coming to your house!

Nah, I've got a fallback spot, but I gotta skirt around the outside of Lansing to get there, and there's people in Lansing..... I hate people.
    I feel for you. We have several options now: the house we live in (okay but not ideal), bamagirl's grandfather's house (much better - a very good well, good stockpiles of just about everything, okay defensibility.... but still not perfect) and my mother's house (damn near ideal). Each of them sits on a good bit of land and have tons of large game around.

I don't mind people so much as I do large masses of poor people.

I live in the middle of a city but my family has a sort of planned fall back area of over 1000 acres that the family owns out in west Texas in the middle of no where. Nearest town of like 1500 people is 30 minutes away from it.

Easily defensible, and a little over a gas tank away from any major pop. center.

Sugical, if society really is broken down with no one to defend you but yourself, no laws etc... You need a bullet for everyone that wants to hurt you or take from you

Ideally you'll be part of a small community of like minded people who can assist you

Originally Posted by BlueBayou View Post
    Hardcore survivalist here. We are prepared for anything from a hurricane or tornado to TSHTF to TEOTWAWKI. Large and stocked fallout shelter, massive preps and all. My local community can live(and defend) indefinately on its own when it comes to that. I am lucky in that my extended family and friends lives in a close, isolated rural area and we 'be prepared' and are a tight-nit community. We will hopefully be one of those communities to survive unless we are very unfortunate, or attacked by an overwhelming welfare monkey force in the aftermath.
    Absolutely ideal setup.

Originally Posted by BlueBayou View Post
    Its coming. Youve known it just like I and others have. You are right about defense as well. And the need for this issue grows by the day as the monkey gangbanger crowd grows stronger ...

Just be ready, be prepared, and think 'community'. Dont think as though you are preparing for individual or isolationist survival - think community survival. An isolationist survivalist approach will not work. Community survival.
    I'm afraid it is coming, bro.

And you are dead on target. No one can do it alone. A loner can't be alert 24/7, or have all the skills that might be needed for the rest of your life.....

Originally Posted by Steak_n_Taters View Post
    I live in the middle of a city but my family has a sort of planned fall back area of over 1000 acres that the family owns out in west Texas in the middle of no where. Nearest town of like 1500 people is 30 minutes away from it.
    The important thing is can you and your loved ones get there pronto if something terrible happened, and the freeways were like parking lots?

markymark69 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) markymark69 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) markymark69 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) markymark69 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) markymark69 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) markymark69 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) markymark69 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) markymark69 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) markymark69 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) markymark69 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) markymark69 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Just an observation...if you cant survive two weeks in the woods with just a blanket and a knife, none of you will make it long term.

You guys rely on technology too much.

The sheeple can be very dangerous, even before collapse. Especially when they are encouraged to spy on anybody who doesn't fit in to the new order, in the name of the bogus war on terror.

Post collapse, people who have made absolutely no preps of their own, will form mobs to take from those who are "hoarding" supplies. A friend of mine is joining a like minded "survival" community. Unfortunately they have no provisions for holding on to what they have against superior numbers. Guess they really believe in the essential goodness of mankind. It's a hippy thing.

I believe in the essential goodness of individuals, except those who have demonstrated otherwise in their life. But mobs have an essentially primitive group mind. Rawanda could happen anywhere, when the veneer of civilization is peeled away......

Originally Posted by Steak_n_Taters View Post
    Ideally you'll be part of a small community of like minded people who can assist you
    There's an Obama: Change in '08 sign up in a yard down the road. Is that the right kind of community

Originally Posted by jgreystoke View Post
    I believe in the essential goodness of individuals, except those who have demonstrated otherwise in their life.
    I believe in the essential goodness of .45, .223 and 12 ga.
    Yeah, the sheeple, I see them being a huge threat here, not so much as pre-fall paranoia, but there's very few that would be prepared if the local Wal-Mart supercenter closed up shop, and I could only imagine how well the local Sheriff's Dept. (think Barney Fife multiplied) would handle any type of situation of that nature.
    Last edited by sugicalmike; 07-29-2008 at 12:57 PM.

bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000)
    This is a great thread, and I'm glad I'm not the only nutter thats thought about this.

I've been developing my gardening/farming skills I'm not counting on stores or anyone else to provide me with the veggies I need.

I'm from Alabama so hunting, trapping, and fishing are givens.

I've built plenty of houses and other structures and I know of a great place in the hills in north Geogia where I'll take the family and live as hill folk.

My time as a combat engineer I've learned a thing or two about booby traps to keep the moochers away.

Tools and things I can loot (wood bruning stoves, oil lamps, nails, etc.)

I really need to devlope my foraging skills (learn more of what plants are safe and which ones will kill me)

Basically remove the family from dense populations, probably start a commune with people I know and trust, grow raise find or kill all of our own food.
    "The best-laid schemes o mice an men Gang aft agley." Robert Burns

"You can believe in stones as long as you don't throw them at me." -

"Some say he can swim seven lengths under water and he has webbed buttocks. All we know is, he's called The Stig."

"Some say that his skin is the texture of a dolphin's and that he has his own satellites. All we know is, he's called The Stig."